Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: New 2013 Honda Goldwing FB6  (Read 65200 times)

ultrarider123

Re: New 2013 Honda Goldwing FB6
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 07:54:39 AM »

Very interesting concept.  Looks like they went too fast under a low bridge/tractor-trailer and lopped off the upper part of the bike.... ::)

Hate to say it but during a wild hair period, I purchased a 2002 1800 in the middle of 5 years I swore I'd never own another Harley....that didn't last long.... ;D 
I liked the 1800 but if there was a choice between the "standard" GW and this new "chopped" Wing, I'd go with standard.  But as of yet the MoCo doesn't make a Wing so I'll stick with my lil ol Glide.... :2vrolijk_21:

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 09:15:10 AM »

Curious about what market they are trying to hit with the bike.  The Goldwing is a good bike for what it is intended for, has a loyal following, but as a group they do not seem concerned with "sporty".  So this is not for current Goldwing customers. 

Does resemble the Victory Valkarie but I can't believe that enough of those have been sold to interest Honda's production standards. 

Maybe the sport bike riders are getting older than I think and this is aimed toward them.

Looks OK to me, but if I was interested in a sport touring bike I would look first at BMW. 

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 09:55:13 AM »

I think they are trying to target the BMW RT, Kawasaki Councours, and Honda ST crowd. And maybe the HD crowd that is tired of all the issues we discuss here daily.

When you think about it, it's NOT a revolutionary concept at all. EVERY major motorcycle manufacturer is doing the same thing. Take a well built platform, and modifying it to sell to a narrower market. Harley took the FLH series and came out with the RoadGlide (which if we all remember the late 70s / early 80s was a TourGlide) and then the StreetGlide. Kawasaki took the bulletproof ZX Ninja and made the Concourse, and BMW took the durable Boxer engine with Paralever / Telelever suspension and put it in no less than four totally different bikes.

We all know riders who LOVE their RGs or SGs but would NEVER buy an Ultra. Well this is exactly the same thing.

If it runs like, and is as dependable as all the other GoldWings, then it will no doubt build a loyal following.

But I could be wrong.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 10:01:57 AM »

I think it looks OK but I would not buy one..
Bill

FLY-DOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • U.S. Navy (30 years); Delta Air Lines (22 years)
    • FL

• CVO1: FLHXSE3
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 04:09:12 PM »

It will be interesting to see who that bike attracts (not me).  I'm not sure the traditional Goldwing buyer will like it either but there will be some converts.  Just like the traditional Harley Glide rider won't buy a VRod but some are attracted to the VRod, especially if it's a 2nd or 3rd bike and is used for specific purposes.  I have several dirt bikes and a Concours 14 too, but if I could only afford one bike it would be my CVO SG.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 12:31:13 PM by FLY-DOG »
Current Stable:
2021 BMW R1250 GSA Rallye
2016 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited w/392 Hemi
2012 CVO Street Glide
2007 Mustang GT500
2006 YZ250F

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 04:28:22 PM »

It's the Honda version of a Street Glide, or Road Glide Custom, as opposed to either bike in an Ultra model.  I would guess that there are a lot of riders out there who want the Honda power, handling, reliability, etc., but who do not want the Tour Pack and all the extra "stuff" that makes the bike much heavier, etc.  This is for the weekend tripper, or just wants the GW in a stripped down version for day rides.  Honestly, the Honda Gold Wing is the ultimate touring bike from a purely functional point of view.  Smooth, reliable, comfortable (for most), and with all the amenities one could possibly want/need.

I'd bet this new bike is a blast to ride.  Particularly with the Traxxion package for Gold Wings...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 04:39:46 PM »

Yuck.  Why?

I've always thought of those GWs as plasticky appliances for people who want a motorized sofa.  With the  looks and p ersonality  of a toaster.

To me, it's like trying to make a Winnebago into a sporty convertible.  IMHO.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 05:06:08 PM »

I called my dealer since one of the franchises also sells Hondas...

He said the VP is considering getting one to Demo... :2vrolijk_21:

I wont trade in my CVO for one, but as others have said, it'd be a nice daily ride, and ride the CVO on weekends... (Or ride the GW when the CVO is in the shop!)

:huepfenlol2:

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 05:46:56 PM »

I think it's the best looking Honda I've ever seen. Would I want one? NOPE  :-\

Kingspoke

• 2012 CVO Ultra FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire/Stardust
  • Senior CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUSE - Wicked Sapphire/Stardust Silver
    • CA

• CVO1: 12 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire/Stardust Silver
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2012, 01:45:07 AM »

Hummm... styling cues kinda reminds me of a stripped down Goldwing.  If I were to get one, I would opt to get the "super deluxe" as it has heated grips, a center stand, and self cancelling turn signals.  What will Honda think of next?  I mean the name just screams excitement "F6B" so you know it's gonna be a collectors item, just like the Rune! :huepfenlol2:
Dragula 2-1, TTS Mastertune, SE 585+4, S&S prem. lifters & adj pushrods, 106hp/117tq, Chubby 577's, Ohlins HD159 & FKC-101 fork cartridge, LSR stealth 10" dark tint, Billet Boy LED tail lite, Kury LED turn signals, Air Wing tour rack LED, HD Siren II w/pager, CD LED front signals, OPT7 LED driving & headlight, Kicker KSC674 tourpack speakers.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2012, 07:48:16 AM »

Looks like they might be trying to compete with the Victory Vision, IMHO.

Yup, I was going to say the same

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2012, 09:00:42 AM »

Look at the MSRP and it's obvious what they are doing.  I haven't figured out the self cancelling turn signal deal, and probably never will since it's an ultracheap thing these days with all the cheap electronics available, but $20k for a stripped down GW (that doesn't eat lifters or other engine parts btw) that appeals to those who prefer a sportier look isn't a bad idea. 

I have to love the negative comments from a crowd that is mostly into style rather than function.  Of course the Honda guys can actually ride their bikes with pretty good confidence they will have many fewer mechanical failures than the guys riding around on the "pretty" bikes from Milwaukee.  They will also have a three year factory warranty to back it, versus the two year catch us if you can version offered by H-D.  As 2012_FLTRXSE intimated, maybe the best idea is to have the Harley for stylin' and the Honda for actual riding while the Harley is in the shop.  ;)

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2012, 09:37:17 AM »

Look at the MSRP and it's obvious what they are doing.  I haven't figured out the self cancelling turn signal deal, and probably never will since it's an ultracheap thing these days with all the cheap electronics available, but $20k for a stripped down GW (that doesn't eat lifters or other engine parts btw) that appeals to those who prefer a sportier look isn't a bad idea. 

I have to love the negative comments from a crowd that is mostly into style rather than function.  Of course the Honda guys can actually ride their bikes with pretty good confidence they will have many fewer mechanical failures than the guys riding around on the "pretty" bikes from Milwaukee.  They will also have a three year factory warranty to back it, versus the two year catch us if you can version offered by H-D.  As 2012_FLTRXSE intimated, maybe the best idea is to have the Harley for stylin' and the Honda for actual riding while the Harley is in the shop.  ;)

Jerry

Jerry...

Having 1 CVO eat two sets of lifters the reply was part sarcasm/part realism.

The only high ticket maintenance item is the timing belt. (I think they still use a belt) but look at how easy it is to access for service.

As much as I make fun of the stodgy image of most 'wingers' I have to admit I will consider this as a future purchase.

I spend too much time on my scoot to NOT have a "spare bike"

(Speaking of that... I think I'll ride momma's RKC this weekend)

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2012, 09:49:53 AM »

Not bad but if I purchased a non-HD machine, it would be either the BMW 1600 GT or GTL..
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 09:52:44 AM by Buy early »

sharper85

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2012, 09:59:16 AM »

Well I had 2000 Road King 2006 Ultra now 2009 Ultra CVO. And I love my Harley's. But that bike sure looks good to me. Might buy one in April. My CVO has 81K on it now. Looks like a pretty good back up for me. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 22 queries.