Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Front forks rebuild?  (Read 1995 times)

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
Front forks rebuild?
« on: November 20, 2023, 04:00:49 PM »

I’m planning to do the 50k service on my 2019 cvo limited front forks now that I have about 80k miles on the bike!

When I bought the bike I remember the staff telling me that the forks were “upgraded” from the factory and were better.

Looking at the parts book the exploded view they look like the standard damper tube system as older models.

I’m thinking of adding the “gold valves” on the rebuild along with the service kit.

Any feed back to upgrade the front forks besides the full kit would be appreciated.
I really have no issues with the forks other than the fluid is probably pretty dirty.

TIA

:nixweiss:

HOGMIKE

pauly_2

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

Re: Front forks rebuild?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2023, 09:53:00 PM »

Hi Hogmike,

I’ve recently purchased the Bitubo cartridges for my 23 ultra limited. Not yet installed however so I cannot yet comment. I’d assume your CVO has better front suspension than my standard ultra, as (to be frank), it’s crap! I put some RWD shocks on the rear and it just highlighted even further how crap the front was, so I got the Bitubo. I’m waiting on a few more parts before I install them.

I’d suggest that if you have no issues at all, just rebuild them, put new oil in, and ride.

Thanks
Pauly2

GKroadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: CVO Road King 2014 (FLHRSE6) sold
    • CVO2: CVO Street Glide 2021 (FLHXSE)
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2023, 04:35:44 AM »

Hi,

that's amazing, I also ordered the Bitubo cartridges for the front fork this week. Installation is planned for the end of the year.

At the rear I have the adjustable HD 772 shock absorbers from Ohlins, which I am very happy with. So far I have always been dissatisfied with the front fork's response and damping. The corresponding Ohlins cartridges FKS 228 are significantly more expensive than the Bitubo and are also not available at the moment. There is a lot of positive feedback about the Bitubos and they come from the “motorcycle racing” country of Italy

If you are dismantling the fork for service purposes, I would always consider improvements such as springs, oil or cartridges.

https://bitubousa.myshopify.com/products/49mm-jbh-fork-cartridges

Take care
CVO Street Glide 2021
FLHXSE
Sunset Orange & Sunset Black Fade
Jekill & Hyde Exhaust
http://jekillandhyde.com/en_US/our-technique
131cui

pauly_2

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2023, 06:25:36 AM »

That is amazing!
After spending $1700 on the rear shocks, the Bitubo front shocks seemed like good value at $1200. I’m hoping to install mine in the next month or so. We will have to compare impressions!
Thanks
Pauly2

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2023, 02:18:42 PM »

I’m planning to do the 50k service on my 2019 cvo limited front forks now that I have about 80k miles on the bike!

When I bought the bike I remember the staff telling me that the forks were “upgraded” from the factory and were better.

Looking at the parts book the exploded view they look like the standard damper tube system as older models.

I’m thinking of adding the “gold valves” on the rebuild along with the service kit.

Any feed back to upgrade the front forks besides the full kit would be appreciated.
I really have no issues with the forks other than the fluid is probably pretty dirty.

TIA

:nixweiss:

I used the Ohlins FKS 228 from Cycle Solutions in my 2019 Limited, I believed it was March of 2021 and they cost me $925.00 with the the two special tools and fluid, I purchased two seal kits with the bushings from Harley, pretty straight forward installation, made a big difference in the ride. The stock parts were pretty much the same as my 2016 Street Glide. but you are correct it did seem to ride better, but after installing the Ohlins it rode extremely better.

2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

pauly_2

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2023, 04:47:35 AM »

Hi again,
The only concern I have with the Bitubo, is their insistence (in the documentation) on returning the cartridges back to a dealer every 20,000ks, or 2 years for a rebuild. My hope is that if they degrade that quickly, I don’t notice it! I’ve never had shocks that need replacing after 2 years so I’m hoping they are being ultra conservative.

Thanks
Pauly2

Hi,

that's amazing, I also ordered the Bitubo cartridges for the front fork this week. Installation is planned for the end of the year.

At the rear I have the adjustable HD 772 shock absorbers from Ohlins, which I am very happy with. So far I have always been dissatisfied with the front fork's response and damping. The corresponding Ohlins cartridges FKS 228 are significantly more expensive than the Bitubo and are also not available at the moment. There is a lot of positive feedback about the Bitubos and they come from the “motorcycle racing” country of Italy

If you are dismantling the fork for service purposes, I would always consider improvements such as springs, oil or cartridges.

Take care

GKroadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: CVO Road King 2014 (FLHRSE6) sold
    • CVO2: CVO Street Glide 2021 (FLHXSE)
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2023, 06:06:25 AM »

Hi again,
The only concern I have with the Bitubo, is their insistence (in the documentation) on returning the cartridges back to a dealer every 20,000ks, or 2 years for a rebuild. My hope is that if they degrade that quickly, I don’t notice it! I’ve never had shocks that need replacing after 2 years so I’m hoping they are being ultra conservative.

Thanks
Pauly2

I know some motorcyclists (other brands) who also have Bitubo cartridges. Nothing needs to be serviced at that interval.

Thats a like a "recommendation" or a suggestion or proposal as to the best course of action  ::)

Keep save
CVO Street Glide 2021
FLHXSE
Sunset Orange & Sunset Black Fade
Jekill & Hyde Exhaust
http://jekillandhyde.com/en_US/our-technique
131cui

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2023, 06:40:33 AM »

I used the Ohlins FKS 228 from Cycle Solutions in my 2019 Limited, I believed it was March of 2021 and they cost me $925.00 with the the two special tools and fluid, I purchased two seal kits with the bushings from Harley, pretty straight forward installation, made a big difference in the ride. The stock parts were pretty much the same as my 2016 Street Glide. but you are correct it did seem to ride better, but after installing the Ohlins it rode extremely better.

At this point I’m not sure about spending $1000.00 + or - on front suspension as the stock system seemed to work fairly well so far.
My current plan is a rebuild kit (HD) and 10w oil.
If that doesn’t work for me, I’ll bite the bullet and spring for Legends.
Only reason for that is a pair of their shocks in the future if my present shocks die.

8)

HOGMIKE

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2023, 01:24:13 PM »

At this point I’m not sure about spending $1000.00 + or - on front suspension as the stock system seemed to work fairly well so far.
Only reason for that is a pair of their shocks in the future if my present shocks die.

8)
Try Pro Action Suspension, less money than a cartridge

https://street.pro-action.com/fork-kits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

pauly_2

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2023, 04:20:23 PM »

Hi KGB,

I agree with them (about nothing being wrong with standard fork tube arrangements). Too late for me now though. :-)

Thanks
Pauly

Try Pro Action Suspension, less money than a cartridge

https://street.pro-action.com/fork-kits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pauly_2

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2023, 04:24:07 PM »

Hi HogMike,

Sounds like a good plan. FWIW, I rebuilt my old bikes forks, and put 7.5 w oil in them. It transformed the front suspension to something that was plush, and sort of matched the excellent Legend revo shocks it had.

Thanks
Pauly

8)

pauly_2

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2023, 06:54:13 AM »

Hi again,

I (finally) got to take the bike for a ride today with the Bitubo fork cartridges installed. In short, it’s way better. Like I would expect an expensive bike suspension to be. Admittedly this ride was short (about 70 ks), and solo (most riding is with a pillion), but I could feel the front end was more in tune with the new RWD shocks on the rear. All the harshness of the front end is gone. I probably have a few fine adjustments to make once I ride 2 up, but the improvements are immediately apparent.
If these things last a while, they will have been money well spent.

Thanks
Pauly

Hi,

Take care

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2023, 08:52:15 AM »

I just put 600 miles on my new AXEO cartridge forks this past week. Bike is a 2019 cvo limited with 80k miles on the stock forks.
I decided to upgrade the suspension on the rebuild.

My goal was to keep the low speed comfort level like stock or better and address the dive on hard braking and better high speed ride.

The AXEO were highly recommended and had a lifetime warranty.

In my opinion and experience trying to get tech support it is not worth $1100 for the very marginal improvement over the bone stock system. I’ve had the forks on and off 3 times adjusting the preload and oil change. Still very harsh on normal street cruising and “rocking horse” on moderate high speed running.

I’m sending them back and keeping the stock stuff for now.

I AM looking at a couple of different systems and will try one out again soon on my next trip.
I’ve become very good at removing and installing the front forks now! LOL

JMHO
HOGMIKE

pauly_2

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2023, 06:51:20 AM »

Haha I know what you mean. Feels like it wouldn’t take long to do it all again!
FYI, my wife has commented numerous times how the front end no longer dives when we stop (I’m adjusting from a Softail to a tourer and her floor board get in the way a lot!). From where I sit, it’s just a better bike. Instead of harsh front suspension, it’s way more refined.

If your main beef is front end dive during braking, I’d suggest the Bitubo setup - though I’m not sure you could return it if not happy.

Thanks
Pauly

I just put 600 miles on my new AXEO cartridge forks this past week. Bike is a 2019 cvo limited with 80k miles on the stock forks.
I decided to upgrade the suspension on the rebuild.

My goal was to keep the low speed comfort level like stock or better and address the dive on hard braking and better high speed ride.

The AXEO were highly recommended and had a lifetime warranty.

In my opinion and experience trying to get tech support it is not worth $1100 for the very marginal improvement over the bone stock system. I’ve had the forks on and off 3 times adjusting the preload and oil change. Still very harsh on normal street cruising and “rocking horse” on moderate high speed running.

I’m sending them back and keeping the stock stuff for now.

I AM looking at a couple of different systems and will try one out again soon on my next trip.
I’ve become very good at removing and installing the front forks now! LOL

JMHO

Page created in 0.566 seconds with 21 queries.