Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8 [All]

Author Topic: 09 SERG, Love the Bike... Can't live with the Saddle  (Read 12838 times)

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
09 SERG, Love the Bike... Can't live with the Saddle
« on: September 07, 2008, 01:49:34 PM »

Brought the new SERG home last eve, 2 1/2 hour ride. The seat "burned me out" by the time I arrived home. Does anyone know if the mounting for the rider seat and passanger pillion is the same, as the 08 Street Glide.

The Corbin 08 Street Glide, Dual Tour catches my eye.

I have had 2 prior Dual Tours and they were perfect, very nice! Rode the last one 14 hours to Sturgis on an X, no problem!

Thanks in advance.

Iglide
The impossible just takes a little longer

HDCrazy

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '15 FLTRUSE Red (Sold)- '19 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: '15 FLTRUSE Blue (Sold)
    • CVO3: '14 FLHTKSE (Sold)
Re: 09 SERG, Love the Bike... Can't live with the Saddle
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 03:14:45 PM »

I visited w/ the Corbin rep while I was @ Milwaukee HD for the 105th. He said it would be October before we would see anything for the '09 Touring HD's. Their current '08 seats do not match-up w/ the new rear fender/frame. I purchased a new '09 Sundowner Deep-Bucket "Street Glide" touring seat for my '09 SERG3, rode to Milwaukee on it, nice seat.

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 04:25:52 PM »

Thanks HD

MikeD

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 08:11:42 PM »

I rode with my wife on a 150 mile trip last week, my rear end (she tells me I have no arse), anyways, my rear end was hurting.  I experienced the same thing with my SE fat boy, rode from Ft. Lauderdale to Atlanta in one day on the stock seat.  Anyways, I'll be looking at alternatives for the long road trips.  I'll use the stock for Maggie Valley, but I may ride down to Octoberfest, that will require a seat change or enhancement of some sort.

sblair

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 10:48:04 PM »

I put 150 on mine today and that seat is a killer.  Thinking about pulling it off and sending it to the upholsterer to take the guts out and replace with memory foam.
CVO1-2009 Silver SERG
CVO2-2011 Rio Red RUSE

MikeD

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 06:21:41 AM »

I put 150 on mine today and that seat is a killer.  Thinking about pulling it off and sending it to the upholsterer to take the guts out and replace with memory foam.

I maybe interested in doing something like that, maybe some gel too?  Do you have anyone in mind.

tdowell65

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 SEUC 8
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 07:03:45 AM »

I emailed Sherry at Danny Gray and she said an 08 and 09 would fit.  It seems to me that it would be wrong, but in the Harley parts catalog they have a solo seat that fits 08 and 09 touring bikes.  My seat is the same way it will make your A--  sore in a hurry.  Also when I'm sitting on it pulls away from the tank.  You would think they would have a better fit for that.

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 08:12:02 AM »

Mike, at So Cal Cycle Seats,

Reworked a stock X seat for me a couple years ago. He reshaped the stock foam and added a gel pad to the rider and passanger pillion. I sent him some Corbin leather with the ostrich print and the results worked well. It wasn't a Corbin, but it wasn't $900 either. Seems like the total rebuild was bout $250. That may work for me while Corbin figures out what fits what.

I will try to contact them today and see if he still does this type of work.

Sierramadre

• Elite CVO Member
  • "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 09:00:37 AM »

I put a Harley Badlander seat on my SERG for riding around town which looks good ,but definitely wouldn't work on longer rides.  I'd like a gel seat if someone comes up with something that fits.

Carlos Silva

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 12:11:15 PM »

ok, this might be psychosomatic ???...but...I dressed and massaged my seat with the H-D leather dressing that came w/the bike and I swear its softer!!!...I was a little sore the other day when I rode 200 miles, but yesterday(post massaging)my arse didn't feel bad at all - and I did over 300 yesterday...go figure...plus the dressing gives a nice deep lusture to the seat...and not ArmourAll slippery whatsoever...did my Deuce seat as well, stuff works great :2vrolijk_21:
2000 FLTRSEI  3-ToneRed - sold
2003 FXSTDSE  Centennial Gold
2009 FLTRSE3  Silver/Titanium
2007 400-HP TRAILBLAZER SS TOW VEHICLE

...when it comes to buying toys, I can justify anything

rasmusmi

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 04:51:09 PM »

If you like the looks of the OEM seat that comes on the 2009 SERG but wish it was a little "nicer" to your butt on long hauls, check out the memory gel-pad cushions these guys make. I saw and sat on some at their display booth at the HOG 25th Anniversary Party at Miller Park in Milwaukee a couple weeks ago and liked them a lot...and they're MUCH cheaper than a whole new seat!
Something to consider... :-\

http://airrider.com/store/

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG & 2011 Ultra -Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 08:27:49 PM »

I emailed Sherry at Danny Gray and she said an 08 and 09 would fit.  It seems to me that it would be wrong, but in the Harley parts catalog they have a solo seat that fits 08 and 09 touring bikes.  fit for that.
[/quote]My seat is the same way it will make your A--  sore in a hurry.  Also when I'm sitting on it pulls away from the tank.  You would think they would have a better

I called Corbin today asking about a seat, the guy told me that they could make the seat :nixweiss: I have an appointment Saturday morning for a ride in, were lucky we live so close they will make it while we wait! So I'll let everybody know if he's right or not!!

Greaseball

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 09:12:11 PM »

I've got a corbin solo with pillion new in the box for an '08 Road Glide.  I sold my '08 Road Glide so that I can get the '09 SERG before I ever mounted up the new Corbin seat.  This Corbin seat had better fit my new SERG, the other manufacturer's '08 seats are fitting the '09's! 

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 09:38:16 PM »

Boy! I hope so, I'm going to Street Vibes in Reno then up to Idaho to see the G-daughter will be putting on 1400 miles total, I NEED THE CORBIN!!!

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 10:41:21 PM »

Thanks for your comments gents. I called Corbin today and they told me the 08 Street Glide Dual Tour would not fit the 09 SERG. They were very forward about it. Almost like, no and I mean NO! They said that many of the other seat manufactures had pans that flex and may or not fit. However; their pans would not flex and mold to that new rear fender.

I asked to speak to an R&D guy and he told me that they were at least 30 days our for a new pan work up for a Dual Tour, that will fit the new SERG. Well..... that's the seat I have experience with and fits my ....
Anyways seems that they need a 09 SERG to fit up a pan for a dual tour seat and they don't have one just yet.

I offered to bring mine out for a couple of days and the dude said, laughing; they would need it for 30. Well that caused me to fall our of this chair, flop around on the floor, and have a major epileptic fit. My wife had to rush me to the hospital, for major medical and psychiatric help!   Honest....... uh... just got back....

So, if one of you fine gentlemen would do your duty and step up to the plate and loan them your bike, for ... well awhile that would help all of us resolve this issue.

As a last resort I called back and asked if the Classic Solo and Touring Pillion for the 08 Road Glide would fit, and they said they didn't know, cause......................................... They haven't tried it yet and didn't have a new 09 SERG to fit it up .......... Well that's what I got out of em...

Maybe my butt will break in and mold that new foam before it breaks my ass.  Guess I'll wait and see.    :-0

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 11:24:07 PM »

Well like I said I'll find out Saturday! if they can make a solo or something that would fit they can use my seat for as long as they like! ( Not the Bike ) Really I don't need a touring seat anyway Soozie rides her own.

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 11:44:31 PM »

You're a lucky man to have a wife that rides her own bike. Mine won't, two up is a PITA! I'm working on her though.
Good Luck next week. I would really like to see the Corbin plant. Are you wanting the Classic Solo? That and the Touring Pillion would work for me, if the Dual Tour is long lead time.

sblair

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 11:45:47 PM »

Well, I rode some more today and my a$$ did not hurt as much... but my face really hurt.  Guess from that huge smile I had on all day!   ;D
CVO1-2009 Silver SERG
CVO2-2011 Rio Red RUSE

Greaseball

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 08:23:55 AM »

Corbin can have my bike right now!  All they need to do is go to HD, see it through production, grab it and take it back to their site, use it for a model, and send it back to me with a new Corbin seat on it.  I'm thinking that, if they talk nicely at the HC plant, I might have my bike before the forecasted January '09 date that my dealership is giving me.  Corbin....Are you listening??!!

I will be interesting to see if my classic solo seat and touring pillion from my '08 Road Glide will fit the '09 SERG.  Iselbulls, it sounds like you might be checking this out on Saturday while you are at Corbin??

sooiee

• Senior CVO Member
    • NC
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 02:52:08 PM »

I happen to LOVE the seat and can ride all day long on it.  Guess some of us just have more "sensitive" posteriors.
Remember.....Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a motorcycle.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 03:29:52 PM »

I visited w/ the Corbin rep while I was @ Milwaukee HD for the 105th. He said it would be October before we would see anything for the '09 Touring HD's. Their current '08 seats do not match-up w/ the new rear fender/frame. I purchased a new '09 Sundowner Deep-Bucket "Street Glide" touring seat for my '09 SERG3, rode to Milwaukee on it, nice seat.

Do you happen to have the Part Number handy??? Need to order one before my M.V trip. Thanks Greg   
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2008, 08:52:41 PM »

About So Cal and the saddle rebuilds with gel pad inserts:

I contacted So Cal Cycle Seats and they commented that they don't do that kind of work anymore. Mike doesn't work with them now, but I will continue in my attempts to contact him. I have several calls in to his cell.
Sorry folks but it looks like a dead lead. So..... for now....

Carlos, I will do the HD dressing thing this eve.... and

Talon, guess I will order some Monkey Ass.... hmmmmm.... maybe I could get my wife to help me with....

Well, never mind.....

sblair

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2008, 10:30:17 PM »

I've seen those gel inserts go to he!! in a handbasket.  Got lumpy and hard from being out in the sun.  I would not go that route.  There is an uphiolstery shop here in Escondido where the guy pulls the leather, cut out some foam and inserts memory foam.  That has been successful on quite a few bikes.  He charhed $120.
CVO1-2009 Silver SERG
CVO2-2011 Rio Red RUSE

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2008, 11:05:10 PM »

Sounds great Sblair,
Does he have a website, or     Name and number, I would like to give him a call, THANKS !

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2008, 03:12:23 AM »

Corbin can have my bike right now!  All they need to do is go to HD, see it through production, grab it and take it back to their site, use it for a model, and send it back to me with a new Corbin seat on it.  I'm thinking that, if they talk nicely at the HC plant, I might have my bike before the forecasted January '09 date that my dealership is giving me.  Corbin....Are you listening??!!

I will be interesting to see if my classic solo seat and touring pillion from my '08 Road Glide will fit the '09 SERG.  Iselbulls, it sounds like you might be checking this out on Saturday while you are at Corbin??
[/color]

We have an 8:00am appointment, will post as soon as I can !!!

Greaseball

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2008, 04:11:17 PM »

[/color]

We have an 8:00am appointment, will post as soon as I can !!!

Thanks Iselbulls !!

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2008, 04:16:44 AM »

You're a lucky man to have a wife that rides her own bike. Mine won't, two up is a PITA! I'm working on her though.
Good Luck next week. I would really like to see the Corbin plant. Are you wanting the Classic Solo? That and the Touring Pillion would work for me, if the Dual Tour is long lead time.

...lol... Not so sure about that I had to buy TWO 05 SEEG's with her wanting her own! and two of everything that comes out! The Corbin plant is every interesting the last time we were there having the other seats made, the plant manager took me on a complete tour of the plant, really something to see on Saturdays they take ride in's you park your bike in a stall about ten of them and watch them make your seat or you can have lunch in the same area! The best thing is that before they cover it, you can take it out and ride around to see if the seat has to be reworked, then it's sewn together.

rusty19

• CVO1: 2009 serg silver
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2008, 02:04:19 PM »

my experience with corbin s customer sevice has been abysmal they don t really give a shi! about your questions and delivery time can be months....get a mustang they are superior in quality and customer service

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2008, 10:14:51 PM »

As I spend more time on the new "Ride", I am reminded that the stock seat will not work for me. I am hoping that someone has found a reasonable solution to this problem. I am in a position to throw in the towell and order a Sundowner. Greg has the Sundowner set up and it looked really nice when I checked it out last week in Dallas. Maybe the Sundowner is the answer I am looking for. I have read posts that the Sundowner sets you higher on the bike and more forward. That is not good news. I have a tendency to "butt crawl backwards" in the stock seat and do not wish to ride further forward. When I sat on Greg's Sundowner in Richardson I did not notice that diff.; however, I did not ride it.

Maybe I should have...

Greg, could you chime in here. Do you sit higher.... and is there a noticeable difference as to how far forward you sit?

I would also appreciate the manufac # on all the parts...  Saddle, passanger sissy bar, and passanger backrest pad...

The wife has asked that I provide a higher backrest for her to be comfortable. The stock model backrest is rather low profile as you probably know.

Thanks in advance to all!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 01:31:20 AM by Iglide »

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2008, 10:22:31 PM »

I'm no help to you on the seat but we just changed out the passenger backrest pad w/ one I had laying around and the wife's much happier. The stock one is too small to be of any use.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2008, 09:04:23 AM »

As I spend more time on the new "Ride", I am reminded that the stock seat will not work for me. I am hoping that someone has found a reasonable solution to this problem. I am in a position to throw in the towell and order a Sundowner. Greg has the Sundowner set up and it looked really nice when I checked it out last week in Dallas. Maybe the Sundowner is the answer I am looking for. I have read posts that the Sundowner sets you higher on the bike and more forward. That is not good news. I have a tendency to "butt crawl backwards" in the stock seat and do not wish to ride further forward. When I sat on Greg's Sundowner in Richardson I did not notice that diff.; however, I did not ride it.

Maybe I should have...

Greg, could you chime in here. Do you sit higher.... and is there a noticeable difference as to how far forward you sit?

I would also appreciate the manufac # on all the parts...  Saddle, passanger sissy bar, and passanger backrest pad...

The wife has asked that I provide a higher backrest for her to be comfortable. The stock model backrest is rather low profile as you probably know.

Thanks in advance to all!

Hey Rob,

I'll be glad to. It moved me forward a little maybe an inch.Which they will because of the design and the size Seemed like it might have moved me up, wouldn't bet on that one. Overall I really like this seat. When you consider I bought it from  Jenni... Less 20% figured I 'd ride it for a while when Corbin comes out with one I'll buy it and put the one I have now on Ebay. Should be able to use the seat and almost break even on it...

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2008, 10:15:03 PM »

Tried out a Mustang One-Piece Touring Seat on an 08 Street Glide today. Needless to say it was very nice!
The seat is pictured on page 83 of the 08 Mustang Catalogue. Funny how one of the HD back rests seems to match the stitching and color on the Mustang perfectly!

Does anyone know if the Mustang Touring seat for HD will fit the 09 SERG?

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2008, 07:26:32 AM »

I ordered a classic solo from Corbin 2 weeks ago. Gray Snake skin W/ back rest. should be here in 2 weeks. Janice has been very helpful, sending me samples to choose from. This will be my 3rd Corbin. $740.00. I'll post pics when it's on. My wife's Corbin on her Softail,the bike, broke in on the way to Sturgis last year. She loves it. Bottom line, H-D stock seats...........su...........inhale
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2008, 11:44:16 AM »

I ordered a classic solo from Corbin 2 weeks ago. Gray Snake skin W/ back rest. should be here in 2 weeks. Janice has been very helpful, sending me samples to choose from. This will be my 3rd Corbin. $740.00. I'll post pics when it's on. My wife's Corbin on her Softail,the bike, broke in on the way to Sturgis last year. She loves it. Bottom line, H-D stock seats...........su...........inhale

Corbin does nothing but irritate the crap outta me lately, their customer service is horrible the last few years. On 10/6 after they posted the 09' Road Glide seats on their website I ordered a seat, they informed me that they did not have any seats avaliable for the 09' CVO Road Glide's and there was nothing in the works for the design (for the 09' SERG) and 1 week later they took your $$$. I swear, Corbin is a pain in the butt to work with. The last seat that I bought from them was poorly designed and they never fixed the design issue and kept selling a seat that didn't fit the bike (08' CVO Springer).

Even after dealing with their poor customer service and lack of quality (as far as the poor design issue), I stuck with them and still intend to order a Classic Solo with passenger pillion for my 09' SERG from Corbin because their seats (IMO) are the best looking mass produced custom seats available with a good level of comfort. It is unfortunate that it is such a big problem to order a seat from them...and yes, I have spoken to Janice, Patty, Sandy, Sergio and Jose at Corbin who are saying that there are not any seats available for the 09' CVO Road Glide...

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2008, 12:28:00 PM »

Larry,
Did they understand that your bike was an 09 CVO Road Glide and not the standard 09 Road Glide? All those folks at Corbin have told me the current seats they offer do not accommodate the wider rear fender on the 09 SERG. I sure hope they have the issues worked out for you. Maybe they've got one to fit after working on a few "drive ins". Hope so...

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2008, 05:08:07 AM »

I sure hope so. now I won't sleep.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2008, 12:14:53 PM »

Larry,
All those folks at Corbin have told me the current seats they offer do not accommodate the wider rear fender on the 09 SERG.

I'm pretty sure all the '09 touring bikes have the 180 rear tire and wider fender?  I've looked at the non SERG RG and others and they all did....

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2008, 05:41:33 AM »

Talked with Corbin yesterday afternoon, and they assured me that they are making the seat for the SERG and the SEEG. I was told that right now they are turning them around in 2-3 weeks. I had them check my order and  confirmed  CVO FLTRSE3, should be here in a week.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2008, 06:20:17 AM »

Hey Larry,

I've been looking at that very seat (different leather though). How does it fasten to the bike on the rear? I'd appreciate photos once you get it.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2008, 07:10:16 AM »

will do, I think it fastens to the bolts used for the rider backrest.

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2008, 07:08:55 PM »

Called Corbin today hoping for a Dual Tour. They still suggest that they do not have one available for the 09 SERG.

I am concerned about the fit to the rear fender as the wheel / tire is 18". I would think for a longer seat, such as the Dual Tour, that the radius bend in the rear fender might be important, not sure.

Near as I can tell all the 09 tour bikes have a 16" rear wheel / tire, except the 09 CVO Road Glide.

The sales rep clearly stated that they have a Dual Tour for the FLH CVO but could not locate a Dual Tour part number for the FLTRSE3.

My guess is the solo will fit, but I need a Dual Tour.

Got tired of the confusion and run around, called Mustang Seat today and they sent me out a tour seat (same day), for the 08 Road Glide, said to try it; and if it didn't fit they would refund my money.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2008, 07:29:10 PM »

Called Corbin today hoping for a Dual Tour. They still suggest that they do not have one available for the 09 SERG.

I am concerned about the fit to the rear fender as the wheel / tire is 18". I would think for a longer seat, such as the Dual Tour, that the radius bend in the rear fender might be important, not sure.

Near as I can tell all the 09 tour bikes have a 16" rear wheel / tire, except the 09 CVO Road Glide.

The sales rep clearly stated that they have a Dual Tour for the FLH CVO but could not locate a Dual Tour part number for the FLTRSE3.

My guess is the solo will fit, but I need a Dual Tour.

Got tired of the confusion and run around, called Mustang Seat today and they sent me out a tour seat (same day), for the 08 Road Glide, said to try it; and if it didn't fit they would refund my money.

I just emailed Mustang this week, and they informed me they didn't have ANYTHING for the 09 CVO RG's. Good luck, hope it fits.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2008, 08:12:01 PM »

Yes Breath,

They told me that as well, but suggested I try it. Took em up on the offer. I can only ride the stock seat for 2 hours max, got to try something else. I believe the fit will depend on how much flex there is in the pan. I am not sure about the line up to the sides of the fender and the side covers. We shall see.

Greg is running an "09" HD Street Glide Sundowner on his new SERG. I saw it and it looked great, seemed to fit well. So, who knows?

Guess we will be the ones to plow the ground for now...

In a couple of weeks we should know which of the three fit and which don't. For now the HD seats lead the pack.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 06:37:32 PM by Iglide »

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2008, 01:21:07 AM »

Yes Breath,

They told me that as well, but suggested I try it. Took em up on the offer. I can only ride the stock seat for 2 hours max, got to try something else. I believe the fit will depend on how much flex there is in the pan. I am not sure about the line up to the sides of the fender and the side covers. We shall see.

Greg is running an 08 HD Street Glide Sundowner on his new SERG. I saw it and it looked great, seemed to fit well. So, who knows?

Guess we will be the ones to plow the ground for now...

In a couple of weeks we should know which of the three fit and which don't. For now the HD seats lead the pack.

That's an "09 S.G, Sundowner seat Rob>>>Din't want anyone to buy an "08 and find out it would't fit>>>Greg

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2008, 06:35:48 PM »

Point made Greg, sorry I didn't know that. Sure makes sense, as the 09 Tour Bikes have a redesigned frame. Thanks for the "heads up". I modified that mistake, in the prior post.

I will contact Rae at Mustang Seats, seems she mentioned new numbers for the 09 Road Glide Mustang Tour seat currently available; and, I hope that is what she is sending me, for a fit test.

At this point, not sure....

I will find out and repost....

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2008, 07:50:14 PM »

Point made Greg, sorry I didn't know that. Sure makes sense, as the 09 Tour Bikes have a redesigned frame. Thanks for the "heads up". I modified that mistake, in the prior post.

I will contact Rae at Mustang Seats, seems she mentioned new numbers for the 09 Road Glide Mustang Tour seat currently available; and, I hope that is what she is sending me, for a fit test.

At this point, not sure....

I will find out and repost....

Thanks Rob... Keep me posted, My first choice would be a Corbin...Until then...

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2008, 08:46:14 PM »

The new Mustang Touring Saddle came today. I mounted it on the SERG this eve and it fit perfectly, molds to the contour of the rear fender as it should. Very comfortable; however, it does set me up an inch or two higher than stock and a bit more forward. It allows me to sit up straighter which helps out the lower back a bunch. A lower lumbar support is molded into the seat. So far, I like it!

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2008, 08:50:40 PM »

Another shot..

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2008, 09:05:50 PM »

Last one..

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2008, 04:07:12 PM »

i had a local upholsterer re-do my seat. he used a denser foam. lots better than stock.$50.  along with adjusting my backrest with a BFH it seems alright. :2vrolijk_21:

i still require heat to keep my nuts toasty. :coolblue: wating on one.

like the looks of that mustang.

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2008, 04:41:54 AM »

TN, what part of TN you in?

Dragon42

• Full CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2008, 12:02:23 PM »

Check out www.lepera.com  If anyone lives in the LA area, and brings their bike, they will give you $400 towards a seat.  They have the gel saddles too.

NETacoma03Fatboy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2008, 04:11:51 PM »

I am a Mustang man.  Am on my 3rd Mustang.  If & when I get my 09 SERG, it will be a Mustang seat for me.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2008, 04:40:02 PM »

TN, what part of TN you in?

i'm from knoxville but currently reside close to savannah ga.

if i was in TN i'd have to change my name. :P

yourself?

TN

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2008, 06:49:38 PM »

I am a Mustang man.  Am on my 3rd Mustang.  If & when I get my 09 SERG, it will be a Mustang seat for me.

Is there a "break in" period for the Mustang Tour Seats? It's nice now, just wonder if it will keep getting better. That was the way with the Corbin seats I have had in the past.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2008, 07:06:12 PM »

i'm from knoxville but currently reside close to savannah ga.

if i was in TN i'd have to change my name. :P

yourself?

TN

I am in Ten mile, which is a little hick town 19 miles south of Kingston on Watts Bar lake.  Kingston is 25 miles west of Knoxville.  If we go out to dinner we go to the kingston pike area of knoxville.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2008, 07:14:29 PM »

I am in Ten mile, which is a little hick town 19 miles south of Kingston on Watts Bar lake.  Kingston is 25 miles west of Knoxville.  If we go out to dinner we go to the kingston pike area of knoxville.

know the area well. great riding. :2vrolijk_21:

i used to be a union hand and thought i'd retire from tva. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
worked at kingston steam plant, watts bar and every other generating plant in the area.

enjoy

TN

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2008, 07:55:47 PM »

know the area well. great riding. :2vrolijk_21:

i used to be a union hand and thought i'd retire from tva. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
worked at kingston steam plant, watts bar and every other generating plant in the area.

enjoy

TN

The riding is 50% of why I moved to the area, the other 50% was to live on the lake.

TVA would be a nice job for me, I have worked power generation and distribution much of my life.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2008, 04:50:15 AM »

I'm 18 miles So of Nashvegas, in Franklin

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2009, 06:44:24 PM »

I have had the Mustang Saddle in rework for some time now. I am happy with the progress that has been made thus far. As you might know, I could not tolerate the original SERG saddle. It's a personal thing, but... it was a lower back issue for me.

I bought and received the Mustang Tour seat pictured earlier in this thread. It was comfy but positioned me too high and too far forward. I elected to modify this seat and have it disassembled in order to work the foam lower and further back. It has taken some time, but the results from Al's Custom Uplostry in Amarillo Texas, are very nice.

My cover of choice (although $) is black elephant.

Attached is the results of the modified Mustang Tour seat with the new cover, front half. The elephant hide is thicker than most upholstery folks are accustomed to... or, want to mess with, the labor is much more intensive.

Although the pic does not do this saddle justice, as it is incomplete; it will give you some idea of what I've been after...   ::)

I'm thinking this should look good on the Silver SERG ..
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 06:49:00 PM by Iglide »

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2009, 09:26:56 PM »

Lighting conditions in upolstry shop make elephant appear more grey than it really is....

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2009, 10:31:47 PM »

Looks cool. Can't wait to see it on the bike.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2009, 11:13:09 PM »

Should be complete by this Sat. 4/4/2009 ....   Maybe sooner..... Will post....

Also have a Danny Grey "Big Seat" in production with a Full Quill Ostrich hide cover. A solo seat for daily riding...

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2009, 08:30:54 AM »

Also have a Danny Grey "Big Seat" in production with a Full Quill Ostrich hide cover. A solo seat for daily riding...

I ordered a Danny Grey "Big Seat with back rest" this past monday.  I spent a couple weeks debating weather I wanted to do color or not.  In the end I opted for plain black leather.  I did have the gel added.

I have always liked Mustang seats, but after seeing it moved you up two or so and forward 1 or so I decided to try the Danny Grey. 

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2009, 11:19:34 AM »

The Big Seat is one of the "cleanest" setups I've seen. If I were to do it over, I would add the gel insert. You're going to like it.
I rode mine for a couple of weeks, before I sent it out for the recover and foam adjustment. It was pretty sweet from the get go....  ;)

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2009, 02:37:20 PM »

The Mustang Seat finished early, I think Al headed to Vegas. I paid him this morning.

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2009, 03:49:25 PM »

Complete, dished the foam out to set lower and further back. Now it fits...

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2009, 03:50:11 PM »

Last One

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2009, 08:36:13 AM »

That sure looks nice Iglide.  Looks like it would be comfortable.

That was the mustang you re did correct?

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2009, 10:41:22 AM »

Thanks Dave, yes it was the same Mustang Seat, pictured earlier in this thread. It's what the wife and I will ride. We've got a date this weekend if the weather holds out.  :bananarock:

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2009, 11:47:20 AM »

Looks nice, but when you ride solo, do you need a back rest? Would you use one?.......................Fuzz
Someday's you hit them like Jack Nicklaus and someday's like Jack Ass

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2009, 03:43:05 PM »

I hear ya Fuzz,

Just my opinion, but I have found that if the saddle fits correctly, I haven't needed a riders backrest. I've been on a Corbin Dual Tour for 8-14 hour runs, to South Dakota and back without incident. I know pretty quick if a particular saddle is right for me or not.

I will ride a Danny Grey solo. After a bit of rework I am confident that it will provide the lower lumbar support I am looking for.

I am not wild about the way a backrest looks on a solo seat. Further, I believe that it would make it a bit more difficult for me to get on and off the bike. Maybe I am just getttin old.... I really should try one some day, but for now it's just not a priority.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2009, 04:58:56 PM »

I will ride a Danny Grey solo. After a bit of rework I am confident that it will provide the lower lumbar support I am looking for.

I am not wild about the way a backrest looks on a solo seat. Further, I believe that it would make it a bit more difficult for me to get on and off the bike. Maybe I am just getttin old.... I really should try one some day, but for now it's just not a priority.

I had always felt that way, and still do.  However I will never ride distance on a bike with out one again.  In 04 I rode a friends bike with a solo and back rest on a 500 mile trip.  I had sworn for years I would never have a back rest.  Well the day after that trip I ordered a mustang solo with the rider back rest.  I sure feel it adds to the comfort on the long haul.  Plus on my mustang, I could have it out of the seat in 15 seconds, or back in the seat in 15 seconds.

I talked to Danny Grey and they told me their rider back rest was easy to remove and instal.  I sure hope they are correct as I have the big seat with back rest on order.  Local will be no back rest, trips it will be there.  Parked it will be removed.

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2009, 05:22:53 PM »

Removing the back rest on the Big Seat you ordered, shouldn't be too bad. I bet you will be very happy with it. The solo I will ride, is for short hops less that 60 miles. Mostly to an fro work 30 mi each way.

If the Mustang doesn't work out I will order a rider back rest for it and have it recovered in what is left, of the hide.

The longer trips will usually be with the wife, and as such the Mustang will be the seat of choice.

I do need to try a solo backrest at some point. Every one seems to be very happy with them.  :2vrolijk_21:

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2009, 05:28:42 PM »

Removing the back rest on the Big Seat you ordered, shouldn't be too bad. I bet you will be very happy with it. The solo I will ride, is for short hops less that 60 miles. Mostly to an fro work 30 mi each way.

If the Mustang doesn't work out I will order a rider back rest for it and have it recovered in what is left, of the hide.

The longer trips will usually be with the wife, and as such the Mustang will be the seat of choice.

I do need to try a solo backrest at some point. Every one seems to be very happy with them.  :2vrolijk_21:

Wife has been a BSR on the back of my bike exactly twice since April 14 2007 when she got her first bike.  Once to drop hers off for service, and one night at a bike Rally she wanted to have a couple drinks so she rode passanger.

So only run solo seats on my bikes, keeps me out of trouble.

I agree 30 to 60 mile trips no real need for a back rest.

If I ever ride some on on the SERG, I will be using the stock seat as I did not even order a pilon for the Danny Grey, or I will ride them on the fatboy.

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2009, 06:59:54 PM »

Your a lucky man, Dave

I can't get my wife, to even try riding solo. She says the bikes are all too heavy and too big.

Needless to say the challenges of two up are constant and a certain amount of passenger etiquette is mandatory. We have fun, although it can be challenging at times, as I try to respect her wishes from the back seat.

Luckily I am blessed with a nice route to and from work. The ride is solo on weekdays and there is ample opportunity to cut it loose.    8)

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2009, 10:41:24 AM »

Your a lucky man, Dave

I can't get my wife, to even try riding solo. She says the bikes are all too heavy and too big.

Needless to say the challenges of two up are constant and a certain amount of passenger etiquette is mandatory. We have fun, although it can be challenging at times, as I try to respect her wishes from the back seat.

Luckily I am blessed with a nice route to and from work. The ride is solo on weekdays and there is ample opportunity to cut it loose.    8)
My wife was a great BSR for many years.  Every now and then I would mention her learning to ride.  She never much had an interest.  Then we did a ten day bike trip three summers in a row with a group, we were one of two couples that did two up.  Wife kept noticing how much stuff the ladies who rode their own had.

So spring of 07 she said she wanted to take the Rider Safety course to see if she liked the idea of riding.  She liked it, enough to say she wanted a 883L.  However she told me some times she would want to ride, but be a passanger.  She also said she would not ride as much as me.  I told her I was ok with that.  She also said she would not ride the two weeks each month I am at work off shore.

Funny thing is it only took one month and she was riding while I was off shore.  She has only been on the back twice since she got a bike.  And last year she rode more miles than I did due to me working off shore and being gone half the time.  She put 22,500 miles on her 883L in 20 months.  Jan 31st she got the new Heritage, and has put over 3000 miles on it already.

So yes, I am a very lucky man.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2009, 08:46:12 AM »

traveling is a lot easier when your BSR turns into a solo rider.
When my Wife said that she thought it would be a good idea to get her Motorcycle endorsement, I knew it would be just a matter of time. that was 4 yrs and 3 bikes ago. here in a couple weeks she is moving up to a touring Bike, SG. She likes the chopped TP but said, the king has so much more room, and I said (brilliantly I might add) uh huh.

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2009, 10:32:26 AM »

I'd like to see both your choices installed. :worthless:...............Fuzz

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a D.G. Big seat with backrest....................................

knothead

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 R-Glide Orange & Black
    • CVO2: 2006 V-Rod Orange & Black
    • CVO3: 2006 V- Rod Destroyer Orange & Black
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2009, 10:52:28 AM »

I bought a SUNDOWNER and custom fit it to the SERG. Gel front and back, shaved down the thigh area to put me lower to ground , rounded the passanger pad and a little lizzard insert as well..
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 10:54:05 AM by knothead »
Letz Ride

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2009, 11:33:06 AM »

WOW Knothead,

That looks real nice. I considered the lizard, really like the looks, but couldn't find a skin that large. Where did you get the hide ??

One thing though, why doesn't the wire harness show in front of the nose on that seat ??    :huepfenlol2:

knothead

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2009, 08:41:44 PM »

The origional SUNDOWNER seat has a big neck on it, it goes up over the console about 2 inches, which makes the rider feel like he's set'n down in the saddle..
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 08:43:39 PM by knothead »
Letz Ride

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2009, 08:53:54 PM »

This is what some of us got on the early production models...    :(

knothead

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2009, 09:01:44 PM »

IGLIDE, Take that seat back to your dealer, MOCO will replace it....If your dealer is not aware of the issue, ask them contact the district rep. they are aware of the problem...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 09:03:17 PM by knothead »
Letz Ride

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2009, 09:15:48 PM »

OK, done.....

If that got your attention, you should see the lean angle of this ride...    :'(

planenut

• 1K CVO Member
  • life is short enjoy the ride
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2022 Road glide Limited Wicked orange Pearl and Blackhole
    • CVO2: 18 115 cvo limited anniversary #1068(sold)
    • CVO3: 15 cvo Limited Maroon and silver (sold)
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2009, 07:14:23 PM »

are you talking about the lean angle on the jiffy stand and if so there is a thread on it,I had to get my jiffy stand brkt changed because of the lean angle

Also do you have any input on the Corbin dual tout seat for the 09,the wife is looking for that for us because of the heated seat and the seat for my 09 cuse4 is worthless because it puts me to high on the bike(very uncomfortable).my dealer is letting me try out a sundowner for a little bit to see how I like it.Sooooo much better and makes me feel like I"m in the bike when I ride very happy on how I sit in the bike

thanks
   jon
Fullsac headpipe TAb Performance 4.5 slash 2.5 baffles
SERT program   horsepower hd cam
freedom shields 13 in
Custom Dynamics full lighting Ft and rear
Soundz 6 speaker set up 1k amp
Legends Axeo ft and Revo A in rear

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2009, 07:51:58 PM »

I rode a Corbin Dual Tour on an 1800X for several years. Very nice, but the design that goes on the Glides is very differant than what I had. So I can't speak to how a Corbin would work out on a SERG.

I monkey'd around with Corbin for several weeks trying to get a Dual Tour for the SERG, but they couldn't figure out if they made one that would fit or not....   :nixweiss:

I got tired of that kind of customer service, bought a Mustang, and reworked it.

Maybe Corbin's got it together by now, they kept tellin me they needed someone to lend them their bike for a month or two for a prototype.  Yea, right !

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2009, 06:19:23 PM »

I mounted the new signature with rider backrest ( and passenger pillon ) , wow what a thick seat , looks very comfortable , and the first ride with it was very comfortable , pushes me 1" higher , for me 6.1 feet better angle in the knees . Good quality . the backrest is a little wobbly when not sitting on the bike . Good choice so far .
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

ThomasK

• Full CVO Member
    • CVO2: 2011 SE Road Glide Ultra
    • CVO3: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2009, 07:43:59 AM »

Yesterday i gave a sundowner to a saddlemaker. He will fit the saddle within the original leather an reduce the back profile so that it fit good to my SERG. Pics after i have installed it!
Greetings
Thomask
Greetings from Frankfurt/Germany
ThomasK

knothead

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2009, 08:48:53 PM »

ThomasK....I would suggest a couple of gel pads as well, while he has it apart. They are worth a couple a extra bucks....
Letz Ride

planenut

• 1K CVO Member
    • NJ

« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2009, 08:58:09 PM »

I'll 2nd the gel pads    :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
freedom shields 13 in

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2009, 09:10:39 PM »

Not to be a fly in the ointment but I wouldn't use a gel pad if they gave them away. i've thrown out a couple of these in the past. and then..............i found Corbin

planenut

• 1K CVO Member
    • NJ

« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2009, 09:39:45 PM »

larry,

what corbin seat have you used,I am also considering the dual tour seat from them for the cuse4,I hate the seat that came with it.Some input would be great

Jon
freedom shields 13 in

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2009, 09:42:56 PM »

Have had 4 corbins over the years, wife is on her 2nd soon to be third. we both ride the classic solo. tank to tank, not a problem

HDBaggerDave

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 07FLHTCU
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2009, 10:01:26 PM »

Didn't someone put up a thread about Corbin going under??? LarryB, any truth to that?

planenut

• 1K CVO Member
    • NJ

« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2009, 10:29:37 PM »

last I heard they were for sale
freedom shields 13 in

ThomasK

• Full CVO Member
    • CVO2: 2011 SE Road Glide Ultra
    • CVO3: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2009, 02:20:59 AM »

Thanks for this idea! I try to get some pads and bring them over to the saddlemaker.
Greets
ThomasK
Greetings from Frankfurt/Germany
ThomasK

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2009, 06:09:06 AM »

Their calif facility is for sale. going to gather their forces in FLA, but No they are not going under

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2009, 07:13:25 PM »

Some how.... This new info dosen't surprise me...    :soapbox:

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2009, 08:39:49 PM »

I didn't want to start a new thread so I'll pose my questions here on my choice for a seat selection. I also dislike the the stock seat. I had a Mustang on my SERK and loved it. It sat me back about an inch or two and down a bit more than the Corbin I had. But from all the info that I'm reading the mustang for the SERG sits you more forward and higher. This can't be a option for me.I'm 6-4" and do not want to sit any higher. With all the infinite wisdom that is available on this site what are my best options.? ...............I really liked the Danny Grey Big seat with back rest but the backrest doesn't collapse for when I throw my leg over. ( lost allot of flexibility due to arthritis) so the backrest has to fold over like the Mustang. I really like the job that Iglide did with his Mustang seat. Might be a option. Are there any tall folks out there with a 09 SERG ?  :nixweiss:..............................Fuzz

knothead

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2009, 09:54:22 PM »

Can't help FUZZZ...I'm 5'4'' and have the opposite problem...can't touch the freeking ground
Letz Ride

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member
  • Utah, 2008 Best Trip Ever!

• CVO1: 03 SERK Purdue Gold & Black
    • CVO2: 09 SERG Silver & Black
« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2009, 10:21:57 PM »

I put a Saddlemen Explorer on my 09 SERG but it also moves me up a little higher and it feels like a little closer to the bars, but I can't tell that for sure. I've only ridden it once so I can't tell you for sure on that.  I'll post a picture when I get a chance to take one.  I also had a Mustang solo on my 03 SERK and it moved me back a little and down a little, which I would prefer.  I think I'll like the saddlemen once I get a chance to ride it some more, though.
Steve

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2009, 10:26:16 PM »

Fuzz,

I don't want to interrupt your track here, because I understand and know it is valid. Let me speak a bit to what I have experienced.
I tend to ride more of a style, that is butt back and a slight bend at the waist forward with my arms supporting some of my upper body weight forward. This posture does require some lower back support as I got from the Corbin Dual Tours (I rode three of them over the years) and was very happy with the results.
Further; with this riding style, and lower center of gravity (shoulders down) I was more comfortable with a counter balance riding style in the corners. In other words, if I were leaning the bike down and cornering left, my upper body was leaning right. So all the bend was at my waist, the hips were over to the left and my shoulders and upper torso were right with shoulders perpendicular to the pavement. That is what I got out of the Corbins. This may be very differant that what other folks have experienced.

Now, flash forward to the upright (Touring) riding style. When I got my first Mustang seat, I realized, very quickly, that this was something differant. By that, I mean that the seat, forced me to sit in an upward profile (more forward) than I had not been accustomed to. For me, this was very out of my riding style, as I was not able to counter balance like I had been accustomed to. So I changed my riding style in the corners and found that, when upright, my shoulders were at a higher center of gravity, and this allowed me to lean into the corners with success and comfort I had not found in the past. When cornering left I was now able to lean my upper torso and shoulders left into the turns with comfort.

I have modified the Mustang seat to accommodate me and the 09 SERG.. I like the upright stock posture, but still found it to be a bit too far forward. As such, I have cut the seat back some, horizontally approximately one inch. That allows me to lean, ever so slightly, forward. Guess I have found a happy medium between the two riding styles that I have experimented with.

I believe, that if you prefer and are accustomed to a more upright riding style, then you will need a rider backrest. Yes, I see a mount / dismount problem there as well. Not sure how to accommodate that, but I will likely need to find out.

If you are shorter in structure than 5'10", and ride an 09 SERG, then a Mustang seat like I bought, will have to be cupped out. I took one inch out of the rider's seating height of my stock seat and I am 5'9". That allows me to place both feet, flat on the ground (barely) at stop lights with the bike straight up.

If you have more experience and comfort with a sport bike riding style, then a back rest will do you little good..

For the time, I am seriously considering a back rest...

« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 10:51:42 PM by Iglide »

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #103 on: April 10, 2009, 02:48:52 AM »

I agree , a backrest changes the riding position , the riding style and the riding comfort enormous into positive .
A must have when you are used to make 200 plus miles rides .
The hd-signature (too) moves you up about 1" and it`s a very comfortable seat , the rider backrest is mounted inro this seat and not extra on the fender .
The passenger pillon is also very comfortable and thick but you have to change the passenger upright and backrest into a standard-height-one ( we just ordered ) because the stock low one does hurt the BSR because it is too low with the new thick signature pillon .
For me 6.1 feet a very good seat that also improves the angle in the knees . :2vrolijk_21:
worth the money .

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #104 on: April 10, 2009, 08:29:33 AM »

I didn't want to start a new thread so I'll pose my questions here on my choice for a seat selection. I also dislike the the stock seat. I had a Mustang on my SERK and loved it. It sat me back about an inch or two and down a bit more than the Corbin I had. But from all the info that I'm reading the mustang for the SERG sits you more forward and higher. This can't be a option for me.I'm 6-4" and do not want to sit any higher. With all the infinite wisdom that is available on this site what are my best options.? ...............I really liked the Danny Grey Big seat with back rest but the backrest doesn't collapse for when I throw my leg over. ( lost allot of flexibility due to arthritis) so the backrest has to fold over like the Mustang. I really like the job that Iglide did with his Mustang seat. Might be a option. Are there any tall folks out there with a 09 SERG ?  :nixweiss:..............................Fuzz

You sited the very reason I did not go with Mustang on my SERG.  I love the solo mustang with rider back rest on my Fatboy.

I did order the Danny Gray Bigseat with back rest.  I should be getting it next week, I had them do the gell insert too.  I asked about difigulty in removing the back rest, hight adjustment and fore and aft adjustment, which it has.  So I was happy.  I did not realize it did not fold forward like the mustang until I read this post.  I just incorrectly assumed it did.  I sure hope it does not make it a pain to get on and off the bike.

serghaven

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #105 on: April 10, 2009, 12:02:21 PM »

I'm 6'2" with a Corbin dual tour on my SERG. I was a little worried about the sides of the seat digging into my fat Arse when I was riding. That is not a problem as I usually have my feet up on the hwy pegs anyway.  I only have 400 miles on the bike since the weather up here is just starting to warm up so we can ride again.  :huepfenjump3:This is my third Corbin and I have loved them all.. 

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #106 on: April 18, 2009, 03:27:12 PM »

The modified and recovered Danny Grey Big Seat completed today. I like the way it looks. I am about to mount it on the SERG and take er for a ride....

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2009, 05:05:26 PM »

Rode the new Big Seat and it seems to fit me perfectly. I do not believe I will require a back rest for this particular saddle. May be differant for the Mustang...

This seat will be my daily rider to and from work bout 30 mi....

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2009, 05:09:20 PM »

Another view.....

Please excuse the lonely road that I have to take to work each day. Little traffic, few to pass.... Sometimes there are so many colors in the sky to the east, early in the morning, that I get confused..     ::)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 05:11:14 PM by Iglide »

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2009, 06:49:47 PM »

Damn , what a great pic .  :2vrolijk_21:

knothead

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2009, 07:01:31 PM »

That's a nice clean look Iglide...
Letz Ride

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #111 on: April 18, 2009, 07:18:11 PM »

Thanks for the kind words, gents ...

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member
  • Utah, 2008 Best Trip Ever!

• CVO1: 03 SERK Purdue Gold & Black
    • CVO2: 09 SERG Silver & Black
« Reply #112 on: April 18, 2009, 11:31:11 PM »

Is that your new Clearview shield on there????  What height did you end up getting?
Steve

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #113 on: April 19, 2009, 12:18:02 AM »

Yes Clearview ... What you see there is the stock height...

But it depends on your saddle, inseam, height, and riding style.

This height shield is right for a 31" inseam and a 5'10" height on a stock seat. If you get a Mustang seat (as delivered it sets you higher) the shield will be too low. The saddles I have modified make this Shield the perfect height for me.

I am looking for a combination of a shield that I can look over the top by 2-3" and provide the riding style I am accustomed too (upright vs leaning forward). Further, I have to have a seat that I can reach the ground flat foot at a stop. All of these issues come into play when selecting a shield.

I reccommend that you select your saddle first, something you can ride for hours on end. Then measure and pick out your shield. I have tried others, but Clearview seems to make the shields that meet my needs time and time again ...

Likely more info than you wanted....  Hope it helps someone save a few needless $, I've spent in the past ...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 12:27:25 AM by Iglide »

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #114 on: April 19, 2009, 01:32:55 AM »

Have had 4 corbins over the years, wife is on her 2nd soon to be third. we both ride the classic solo. tank to tank, not a problem

I'm with you.  Tried a Sundowner, Mustang, and Corbin.  Hands down the Corbin fits me like a glove.  As others noted, the Mustang moved me forward & up.  At 6'2" I don't need that. 

Here's my heated Corbin Classic Solo with Mother's rack:

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2009, 09:03:12 AM »

I don't see how anyone can even think about keeping a stock H-D seat.  So many choices for comfort and style

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #116 on: April 19, 2009, 09:57:35 AM »

Rode the new Big Seat and it seems to fit me perfectly. I do not believe I will require a back rest for this particular saddle. May be differant for the Mustang...

This seat will be my daily rider to and from work bout 30 mi....

Looks good. 

I love the looks of My Danny Gray

Seems pretty good to me so far.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 10:00:03 AM by FLSTFI Dave »
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8 [All]

Page created in 0.462 seconds with 21 queries.