Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chrome swirl mark fixes and prevention  (Read 11015 times)

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
    • IN

• CVO1: 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
Chrome swirl mark fixes and prevention
« on: November 11, 2015, 07:57:49 AM »

I am starting to notice some very light scratches and swirl marks on my chrome. I’ve always been careful about cleaning my bike. Good cleaners, not wiping the bike when it’s dry, etc. Generally when I clean anything chrome, I just go over it with a warm damp microfiber cloth and then dry it with a terry cloth or microfiber. Microfiber is supposedly not supposed to scratch surfaces but I’m starting to wonder (getting some swirl marks on clear coat as well).

Can anyone recommend a product that will remove or lighten swirl marks in chrome? Additionally any better methods to detail the bike that will prevent this would be much appreciated. I do have Meguiar's Ultimate Compound which did work great on the clear coat of my previous bike, but so far there is nothing on my Road King really worth going over.

Thank you!
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

mark

Re: Chrome swirl mark fixes and prevention
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 09:21:19 AM »

I've never found anything that removed a scratch from chrome...and that's what swirls are.  I practice what a show car guy recommended:  wax or polish in straight lines and not in circles (even though most polishes and waxes advise to make small circles).  I've never had an issue with swirl marks when using this procedure.

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
    • IN

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 10:16:08 AM »

Thank you! I've done some research and supposedly a product called "Blue Job" can help with swirl marks. But I understand what you are saying. I don't see how it could be fixed on chrome with out some high level/professional work.
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 05:09:29 PM »

Microfiber cloths do not put swirl marks in paint - very tiny rock particles do. Once chrome is scratched it cannot be fixed without sending it out to have it chromed again. If a polish or wax or whatever gets the swirl marks out then it was something ON the chrome, not a scratch IN the chrome.
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

cyco1450

• Elite CVO Member
  • Cheaper to keep her...
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO RG Black Earth/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO SG - sold
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 10:15:52 PM »

Try Simichrome or Flitz. World famous chrome polishes...
2018 CVO RG Black Earth
2007 CVO Springer Amarillo Gold 1 of 398
2003 100th Ann FLSTCI
2001 CVO Switchblade
1999 Dyna WG Zippers 107
1997 Heritage Springer Ol’ Boy
1997 Fat Boy Street Stalker 1 of 1
1993 Heritage Softail Cow Glide #1109
1990 Fat Boy Grey Ghost 1st year
1977 FLH Restomod
1977 XLCR
1971 FX Night Train!

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 11:42:50 PM »

You need to watch where you buy your micro fiber towels. Those sold at auto parts stores and dollar general are thin and stiff, they do scratch your paint.  SAMs club has a big package of them and they are thicker and will not scratch paint. Also buying from places like Griots will get you top notch microfiber towels too.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 08:58:38 PM »

Microfiber or old school diapers do not scratch a finish. The dirt you are wiping does that and it is the microscopic particles that you can hardly even see that create the swirls. Blue job is OK, but the scratches are not just being removed, the chrome around the swirl is being removed as well.
I read on this site all the time where guys "wipe" down the bikes between rides, The black dust on the wheels, front of engine and rear of the bike is partially brake dust which is Metal particles, wipe them you scratch whatever they are on, you have to use water/soap or something similar to carry the metal away gently to keep the scratches from  starting. All the wax/sealant/miracle products that are constantly benig touted will just not repel mini metal shards when you dry wipe them.
Good luck!

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 02:43:46 PM »

Try Simichrome or Flitz. World famous chrome polishes...
:2vrolijk_21:for Simichrome, I have used this for years. Tried Blue Job was a big mess.

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
    • IN

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 07:53:45 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I never wipe the bike dry. I always use a microfiber cloth damp with detailer or just warm water to remove dust before I really start cleaning. I'll make not of some of the products you guys recommended.
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 09:49:43 PM »

Double 00 Steel wool cleans chrome up like a champ.
Supershooter

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 10:50:23 AM »

ANY steel wool scratches chrome. Unless you are a used car lot stay away from steel wool on any chrome since the '80's. Chrome on bikes and newer cars is not like '57 Chevy or Ford chrome, you will scratch it if you use an abrasive product on it. You will scratch is if you wipe it with a damp micro fiber cloth if it is dirty.
Ask Advantage Chrome in Nashville (top of the line coating company) about using abrasives (steel wool, compound etc) on chrome, take there advice.
And if you have the new rage, Black Chrome, scratches will show in it if you rub against it with about anything dry as the black reflects from under the color. Use steel wool on it and it is ruined.

Alien

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 11:07:45 AM »

There are different grades and quality of microfiber! You said you dry with terry or microfiber DON'T!

Take your microfiber and rub it on a blank CD. Does it scratch? If not you are good to go. A good car wash has lubrication to help prevent scratching (swirls). Ever heard of a 2 bucket wash? Helps keep reintroducing dirt back onto your paint.

Look into a Metro Vacuum B3-CD Air Force Blaster 10-Amp 4-HP Motorcycle Dryer to dry instead of using anything to dry your vehicle after washing.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 01:05:51 AM »

You can not completely dry a car/bike/boat etc with air. I have been using air to help with the drying for 35 years now, nothing new and does not require a Metro type blaster, althought they are a good product, but If you have filtered air that you are comfortable with using to paint your car, you can dry with it as well. But air alone WILL leave dry spots, blow off the excess and use a Microfiber waffle weave towel that is designed for drying, with a hemmed or silk banded edge. Autogeek has some wonderful products just for drying. They will not scratch, if kept clean and used correctly.
Also, I recently broke down an bought a pint of Chemical Guys micro fiber wash. I have been using premium car wash soap for years but had difficulty getting a complete rinse and resulting in occassional streaks on glass. The new soap has completely eliminated this problem. The towels/rags look brighter, absorb better and do not leave any streaks even on glass.
Good stuff, $11.00 from Amazon.

ChopperPilot

• 1K CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2023 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHXSE (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2014 FXSBSE (Sold)
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2016, 07:55:39 AM »

You can not completely dry a car/bike/boat etc with air. I have been using air to help with the drying for 35 years now, nothing new and does not require a Metro type blaster, althought they are a good product, but If you have filtered air that you are comfortable with using to paint your car, you can dry with it as well. But air alone WILL leave dry spots, blow off the excess and use a Microfiber waffle weave towel that is designed for drying, with a hemmed or silk banded edge. Autogeek has some wonderful products just for drying. They will not scratch, if kept clean and used correctly.
Also, I recently broke down an bought a pint of Chemical Guys micro fiber wash. I have been using premium car wash soap for years but had difficulty getting a complete rinse and resulting in occassional streaks on glass. The new soap has completely eliminated this problem. The towels/rags look brighter, absorb better and do not leave any streaks even on glass.
Good stuff, $11.00 from Amazon.
Will have to give that a try, I agree with you air drying is only step one in the process.
2023 CVO Street Glide
Whiskey Neat
Khrome Werks Duals

2019 Heritage Classic 114 Special
Silver Flux and Black Fuse
Rinehart 2 into 1 Pipe
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand and Blaze Orange
Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 Pipes
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 07:00:02 PM »

This is my CVO Center console after trying any number of metal polishes including Flitz paste.

Nothing gets the scratches out.  This photo looks much worse than it does in regular old sunlight, but still.

Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 26 queries.