Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HD Hydraulic Cam Tensioner vs Gear Drive Cam system  (Read 10969 times)

awalker14

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTUCSE Black/Crimson
    • CVO2: 19 BMW R1250 GSA
HD Hydraulic Cam Tensioner vs Gear Drive Cam system
« on: October 29, 2009, 11:43:09 PM »

Starting a new thread just to get a quick response.  I'm curious to hear if the recently introduced HD Hydraulic Cam Tensioner might compare to going through the whole geared cam replacement process for the spring tensioner system.  Some good input on other threads, but doesn't seem to be overwhelming evidence yet on whether its a long term fix to the built-to-fail original spring cam tensioners.  I have an 06 SEUC which is a keeper for me as I'm completely satisfied knowing I have the last year of the 103 and just really like the bike.  With 26K on it, I know I need to change out the cam tension system and am trying to evaluate the options.  I'm no wrench, but went down this evening to the Lone Star Rally and met with Chris Waddell of Cycle Solutions who talks a good line as an S&S distributor.  His offer is to put in the S&S gear driven system with S&S 510 cams, S&S rods, lifters, Timken bearings, gaskets, NGK plugs, and tune the existing system (has a Power Commander with Stage 1 Air filter and V&H true duals with oval slip ons) for $1800.  If the crank measures out with 3 thousandths or less runout, he'll put in the Feuling cam plate and oil pump for an extra $1000.  I'm looking for durability mainly, with smooth lowend power/torque without sacrificing too much top end.  Like I said, its a keeper for me at this point.  I don't know and haven't heard of a reliable tuner around the Houston area, and this sounds appealing, but the costs seem high.  Is $2800 way out of line to get the gear driven cams with rods, lifters, Feuling cam plate and oil pump, along with what sounds like a good tune?  He claims to have a crank measuring piece made by S&S to accurately determine the runout and claims to stake his reputation on not putting expensive pieces into a motor that won't handle it.  I've heard some interesting comments regarding tuning from this website and would appreciate your opinions as Cycle Solutions is here for the rally this weekend and I'm trying to decide to get it done, versus simply replacing the existing tensioner with the HD Hyrdraulic piece. Thanks in advance for your input. 
06 Black/Candy Crimson FLHTCUSE; V&H TD's Ovals SE AC PCIII; SE Hyd Tens & Camplate Redshift 575's; Detach TP w/ Corbin Gunfighter; Zumo w/ 8gb SDHC (a lot of tunes)Clearview 8" Recurve; Minibeast II 128db Airhorn

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: HD Hydraulic Cam Tensioner vs Gear Drive Cam system
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 11:50:31 PM »

My 2 pennies worth:

Although it will work in the CVO 103 engine the 510 cam set is not want you want in the CVO 103 engine. That cam is a "bolt in" cam for the 88" or 95" engine. You will do much better with the YB-13, YB-14 or Redshift 575 cam as they were designed specifically for this engine and more importantly heads. Price that he is offering is about the going rate for the work he is offering. Not sure I understand the added 1k for the pump and plate. The runout concern should be directed at whether or not you use the gear or chain drive cams, not the Fueling plate and pump.

I would use the new SE plate and pump kit, if you are happy with the current perfpormance than stay with the stock cams. If you want more than a cam change is in order.New lifters are a must with 26K on the current ones, Also adjustable pushrods. The SE tapered kit is very good.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 11:52:08 PM by hd-dude »

awalker14

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 12:04:17 AM »

Thanks Jim.  I appreciate your comments.  The Redshift 575's have generated a lot of positive comments.  Cycle Solutions is an S&S distributor so I guess he's pushing what he das.  I probably didn't describe the runout issue properly as it relates directly to the gear drive choice.   I see the issue as being spending around $1K for installation of the HD Hydraulic piece vs maybe $2.8K for the full S&S gear driven system (either with 510's or another) with the Feuling pump and plate.  Like I said, its a keeper for me and any upgrade to performance isn't a priority (although it sounds fun) but I'd like to keep her running for a long time. 
06 Black/Candy Crimson FLHTCUSE; V&H TD's Ovals SE AC PCIII; SE Hyd Tens & Camplate Redshift 575's; Detach TP w/ Corbin Gunfighter; Zumo w/ 8gb SDHC (a lot of tunes)Clearview 8" Recurve; Minibeast II 128db Airhorn

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 07:57:44 AM »

Run Forest.....
HD Dude sums it up
The 510 is one of my least favorite cams and would gravely dissapoint in that motor, sorry to say. It was designed to compensate a poor stock 88" exhaust port which you certainly don't have.

The problem with the CVO 103+ is low compression so most cams will not be able to shine. It has about 8.7/1 from the factory. Head milling doesn't help too much because of that open chamber they have. The RS 575 is OK, Woods 5 better, but to really make those cams work well you need to be at a mid to high 9/1. Not hard, especially if you bore to 107" with flatops ($500) and a head mill. They (and the owners after the build) like short duration, and high lift.

I don't really want to get too deep into specfic cams as there are many that can work well and that needs to be decided in the context of the whole build plus what the owner wants and how they ride. These cams are available in conversion cams to the new hydrachain setup. No gears. Gear drive fell out of vogue when the cranks starting appearing with over .002+ runout which is common now in the late models. The new tensioner setup is just off the shelf OEM 07up HD parts, not SE, and includes a better oil pump. $360 dollars in conversion parts and the cams are ~$250-$350. The setup is very user friendly and assembles with ease.

The CVO head has some oil control and valve sealing issues I like to fix at a bare minimum while doing a top end. Bad seals that most of the time are not tight on the guide and are floating plus loose guide to valve stem fit.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 08:01:15 AM by Deweysheads »

awalker14

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »

Took the advice offered here and by others for my 06 SEUC and put in the HD Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner along with RedShift 575's, SE easy install adjustable pushrods and am very pleased with the results.  With 27K miles on the original tensioners, I was getting nervous but was glad to see when they were removed, they weren't too bad but definitely worn.  Anyway, I like the way the bike pulls all the way through the power band now and is showing about 91hp and 101ftlbs running with a PCIII, VH Dresser duals and an SE Air cleaner.  Higher oil pressure also with the new oil pump that's part of the kit.  I know more hp and tq would be found with a 2:1 and headwork but my seat of the pants meter tells me this was a great fix for my riding style.  Thanks to HD Dude, Deweysheads and TwoLane for their opinions and the recommendation.   :2vrolijk_21: 

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 07:01:15 AM »

http://www.flyingwperformance.com/   I used Herko he is a member here. Everthing you need in one box shipped to your door to do the conversion.    Doc

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.