Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Punched 103 EFI 48mm  (Read 2729 times)

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Punched 103 EFI 48mm
« on: May 25, 2006, 10:33:58 AM »

I was talking to my favorite motor builder the other day, considering doing a set of cams for my 05 SEEG.  I told him that I didn't want to get too crazy with the bike, and thought that a set of Woods or Freedom cams would "wake the bike up a little".  He suggested just punching out the throttle body (to a 48mm) would do the trick.  Anyone out there in TV land had any experience doing this????
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
Re: Punched 103 EFI 48mm
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 12:31:16 PM »

Haven't done it yet, but a guy that I respect regarding making power said the exact same thing to me.  He said that a cam would help and get rid of the tensioner issues, but I'd get more out of it by going to a bigger throttle body.  He said that the biggest bang for the buck is get more fuel/air into the 103...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 01:04:16 PM »

Exactly what my dude said.....maybe time to give it a try.......Throttle body is $250 to have mine reworked, $150 for the dyno,  and 2 hrs labor.......I figure around $500..........sounds too good to be true.  We'll see.

Thanks for the input....

_Beagle
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 01:37:16 PM »

I have not heard of just doing the TB without other modifications. Assuming that the TB is a bottleneck than the mods you are describing would help. I would think that the heads would be more of a bottle neck [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 01:44:51 PM »

Greg from Strictly Wicked was telling me that the biggest bottleneck on a stock or nearly stock 103 (cam, no head work or compression increase) is the throttle body and air cleaner
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 01:48:44 PM »

Greg from Strictly Wicked was telling me that the biggest bottleneck on a stock or nearly stock 103 (cam, no head work or compression increase) is the throttle body and air cleaner

Sounds like it will be a good mod then

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 06:23:38 PM »

Oh chit!!! Here we go again tempting my "go fast" addiction. [smiley=nervous.gif] So what I understand now that if I upgrade my throttle body on top of the cam upgrade I just did I may be able to get some more bolt-on HP/TQ, and still have the reliability that I have now?

Only concern that I would have (since with current mods we are getting close to the 110 TQ number) now is the bearings. From what I understand w/current bearing setup (non Timken) when you start pushing more then 110 ft lbs/Tq you are really at risk for destroying the bearings. Maybe I better put this on wish list under the GP Bearing Support? [smiley=confused5.gif] I would be interested in what kind of numbers a modification like this could add. On top of that the guy that built my Evo motor is anxious to get his hands on some 103 heads to work his magic. ;)

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 06:51:47 PM »

Fire,
   Stay tuned my brother........should be by the end of next week.  My guy has the parts in stock.  I'm going to have a before and after done so I can see just what I gain.

More to come.....

_Beagle

Nasty Habit

• Full CVO Member
  • Starting Dec. 22nd, you can say Summer's Comming
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 11:03:19 PM »

Son of a %^&#@ !!! Here it is again, as one noble member just pointed out, the temporary need for speed. Isn't that why we bought a H-D that comes already at 103 C.I. I own a 2003 SE RK, and the MAIN reason I bought it was the 103. Period. Then my addiction had to build from that. I changed the heads, and finally settled on a .625 lift cam to boot. I remember inquiring with my "mechanic" at the local H-D shop and was told that the switch from fuel injection to carburation to be able to utilize a larger TB and alleged fuel flow increase was not worth the costs involved. I would have; believe me. He then stated that besides, the capacity on the SE versions are different {bigger} than the stock TB. D-h-h-h-h! So now am I missing something here? Feel lost, as I pretty much have maxed my engine out without making a hand-grenade. Are you guys talking about re-working the injection manifold? Or actually getting a different (I need to know the part number) Throttle Body? The throttle body in my engine is part #27603-01, and I assume that the subsequent years are the same...Boy if there's more power to be gotten, I can get excited (again).
The habit
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, cold beer in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and yelling WHO, HOO! What a Ride...

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 06:34:06 AM »

With all the mods that you've done so far,  I can't believe you haven't sprung for the $300 for at least a 48mm.  There are others out there bigger,  but the 48 from Horsepower inc. is a 42 that's been punched and flowed.  I wanted to do cams etc.  but my builder and I talked about what the end result I wanted and after a long conversation about performance and mileage and dependability......he recomended that I just do the TB.  He claims with pipes,  breather, PCIII and the TB,  he should get me in the 100/110 range.  That's all I want.  I've done the maximum effort motors in the past,  had a lot of fun with them too, but sooner or later the weakest link will give out when you least expect it.......What kind of numbers do you have now??????

_Beagle

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2004  SE-103          ROAD KING CLASSIC
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 02:07:19 PM »

if any of you guy's are thinking bigger throttle body, then i suggest some headwork. and defenitely get rid of the 253 cam.
the heads on the 103 are not going to handle the added fuel and airflow.
thats why they make the se103+ heads.
jmho.

2004 flhrci se-103 pearl white
bassani true duals w/ho mufflers
se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers
2008 lincoln mark lt(silver)

fatboyse2

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 03:46:35 PM »

I thought the stock TB was 46mm on the 06 CVO 103.  So going to 48mm for $500 doesn't sound like a great spend if that's all that is done.  Definately cams maybe SE258s and better yet heads and the SE 50mm TB (mine was $319).  I just dyno'd my bike last week with the CNC heads, SE264 and the 50mm SE TB and the combo worked out great.  We did several runs and there was only a 1 maybe 2 HP difference with the aircleaner cover off and a change to a K&N airfilter. ::)

Street Stalker

• Junior CVO Member
  • All show and no go, but about to change
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 09:22:48 AM »

I believe the 06's have the 46mm and earlier years have a 44mm.  I have e-mailed a few compaines about these T/B's and was told unless you have done other mods(heads, cams) don't expect much.  Zippers told me not to go bigger than a 50mm on the CVO 103".  I was told to expect a couple hp. gain and the torque to move further up the rpm band.  Not sure how much of this is really accurate as DCfireman said his woke up with a zippers 50mm t/b added.  Wonder what happens to your mpg's though...

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 04:43:52 PM »

.....Wonder what happens to your mpg's though...
Spend all that money to make them go faster, so we can twist the throttle, and not worry about MPG's. ;D

Besides I'd have to do some drastic changes to make it worse then the 14/15MPG I'm getting in town w/my Yukon. :-[

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2006, 08:08:09 AM »

Oh chit!!! Here we go again tempting my "go fast" addiction. [smiley=nervous.gif] So what I understand now that if I upgrade my throttle body on top of the cam upgrade I just did I may be able to get some more bolt-on HP/TQ, and still have the reliability that I have now?

Only concern that I would have (since with current mods we are getting close to the 110 TQ number) now is the bearings. From what I understand w/current bearing setup (non Timken) when you start pushing more then 110 ft lbs/Tq you are really at risk for destroying the bearings. Maybe I better put this on wish list under the GP Bearing Support? [smiley=confused5.gif] I would be interested in what kind of numbers a modification like this could add. On top of that the guy that built my Evo motor is anxious to get his hands on some 103 heads to work his magic. ;)

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Dood,

Having the Zipper's 575's and their 50 mm TB installed on my otherwise stock 103 as we speak.  Will be dyno'd early next week.  I'll post the results to compare notes.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 08:10:40 AM by pete_4854 »
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2006, 09:26:57 AM »

Dood,

Having the Zipper's 575's and their 50 mm TB installed on my otherwise stock 103 as we speak.  Will be dyno'd early next week.  I'll post the results to compare notes.

Sounds good, I'd be interested in seeing those. You can see my dyno sheets from my 575 Cam install here: ”REDSHIFT 575 CAMS & OTHER PRETTY PARTS”.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Nasty Habit

• Full CVO Member
  • Starting Dec. 22nd, you can say Summer's Comming
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2006, 10:08:06 AM »

God Da**it! Now I have to get this TB work done. You guys HAD to go and post this, so I have more to look foreword to. I thought I was DONE with my bike, and could start saving for my next one. Man. of man, my OCD addiction is in full bloom now, and I gotta' take control. This m/c is going to put my homeless, but I'll be happy... won't I? I guess it never ends... [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]
NH
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, cold beer in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and yelling WHO, HOO! What a Ride...

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2006, 11:13:23 AM »

God Da**it! Now I have to get this TB work done. You guys HAD to go and post this, so I have more to look foreword to.[highlight] I thought I was DONE with my bike[/highlight], and could start saving for my next one. Man. of man, my OCD addiction is in full bloom now, and I gotta' take control. This m/c is going to put my homeless, but I'll be happy... won't I? I guess it never ends... [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]
NH

Now, now... you should know better than that .... the is no such thing as a finished Harley  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2006, 06:54:43 PM »

Now, now... you should know better than that .... the is no such thing as a finished Harley  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]
Let me clarify that....

Yes, there can be a finished Harley, but it's when you sell it, and get another one, and start all over. [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2006, 07:06:00 PM »

Let me clarify that....

Yes, there can be a finished Harley, but it's when you sell it, and get another one, and start all over. [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

Once again Obi-wan, you share wisdom and insight with the Jedi.  ;)
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 21 queries.