Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: SE 103 comments, American Iron Mag  (Read 3783 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
SE 103 comments, American Iron Mag
« on: May 31, 2006, 07:40:43 PM »

The attachment is a sidebar by Donny Peterson in an article he did for American Iron about Twin Cam performance, July '06 issue.  Thought it might interest a few folks here.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: SE 103 comments, American Iron Mag
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 07:47:53 PM »

Wonder what they are considering to be "early 103 heads"? Does anyone know if the MoCo has changed the head design since 2003?

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

fatboyse2

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 08:04:46 PM »

Can't attest to the earlier heads, but they are right on with the stock 05/06 heads.  Replacing these with the CNC HTTC heads is the way to go.  So, you buy a $30K bike an add $5K to make the engine work the way it should have from the factory (including pipes) and you have a CVO the way the factory should have done it. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Nasty Habit

• Full CVO Member
  • Starting Dec. 22nd, you can say Summer's Comming
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 09:37:23 PM »

Man,
I could not agree more with you and that article. The first thing I did was the heads/pistons. I think it was close to 2,500 miles when I made mine more like what it should have been. For some strange reason, the particular HTCC heads I got, were not manufactured for the next year. My suspect is that in '04 they made the improvements to the heads, and pistons. Makes sense. Then in '05 I saw the part number back in the book, and now its gone. H-D#16934-02A CNC Ported HTCC Heads (Silver) and the pistons, I cannot find the part numbers, but they were the matched set for the heads. My dealer screwed up something, and ended up haveing to change out the jugs, so they did a overbore (.015) ,and matching pistons. I noticed a significant and major improvement. But when I did the .625 lift gear drive cams (700 miles later - money you know), and a few other minor goodies to the heads, I got the best gain realized. Everything just seemed to work perfectly together. I do have a reliable, faster and more powerful 103" than the factory original. Got dam emmissions.
The interesting thing I am looking foreward to is to see you all at the up comming rallys. Much fun wiith all that loose Torque running around. The wives are gonna' wish they stayed home... [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]
NH
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, cold beer in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and yelling WHO, HOO! What a Ride...

Street Stalker

• Junior CVO Member
  • All show and no go, but about to change
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 09:02:34 AM »

I read the article and then called the guy.  He said there are four different heads floating around on the CVO bikes.  Some are decent and some not.  He told me that the 06 heads were supposed to be decent and to have them ported versus changed.  He says he ports in house and ports and polishes only for $700 canadian.  I think I'll give bigboyz cycles in Maine a try since they do the same thing for $300 and are within an hour from me...

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 02:28:11 PM »

ok I am gonna add my 2 cents and leave my opinions there.

The heads on our bikes suck plain as that.   They do not flow at high velocity,  you can port / polish them, you can open up the chambers, you can raise the floor you can shave off material for squish, you can build a squish band and in the end they still are less than adequate.   I am going to tell you that if you want power from these heads there is 2 solutions so far from all the testing i have done and paid to have done.    Those options are

1  weld them up
    a.   1.94 intakes if you want torque
    b.   2.0 intakes if you want more horsepower

2. Buy other heads that are not hemi designed.

These guys can promise all they want the most i have seen from the SE heads is 109 tq and 116 horsepower.   For the money invested in learning this I would have rather gone down some other avenues.

-harry
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 02:31:19 PM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2004  SE-103          ROAD KING CLASSIC
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 02:59:56 PM »

ok I am gonna add my 2 cents and leave my opinions there.

The heads on our bikes suck plain as that.   They do not flow at high velocity,  you can port / polish them, you can open up the chambers, you can raise the floor you can shave off material for squish, you can build a squish band and in the end they still are less than adequate.   I am going to tell you that if you want power from these heads there is 2 solutions so far from all the testing i have done and paid to have done.    Those options are

1  weld them up
    a.   1.94 intakes if you want torque
    b.   2.0 intakes if you want more horsepower

2. Buy other heads that are not hemi designed.

These guys can promise all they want the most i have seen from the SE heads is 109 tq and 116 horsepower.   For the money invested in learning this I would have rather gone down some other avenues.

-harry

i have to agree with you on the heads.
you would be better off with the reg se performance heads that they use on the 95"

2004 flhrci se-103 pearl white
bassani true duals w/ho mufflers
se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers
2008 lincoln mark lt(silver)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 04:25:38 PM »

Thanks Axe,

Its good to be getting active again if your in the Daytona Area or Sanford area let me know i am not far from the new Seminole HD.

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 07:21:01 PM »

I also agree that our heads suck, well actually they dont, LOL, but it's easy for Donnie Peterson to bad mouth HD and wonder why they made these motors the way they did, but he doesn't have the EPA regulating everything he does. HD has proved they can build excellent race engines, they just haven't figured out how to do it street legal with a v-twin, air cooled, push rod motor. Or they know how, but don't feel the buying public would like the look or sound.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• CVO1: FLSTFSE
    • Aussie's home page
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 07:40:14 PM »

Man,
I could not agree more with you and that article. The first thing I did was the heads/pistons. I think it was close to 2,500 miles when I made mine more like what it should have been. For some strange reason, the particular HTCC heads I got, were not manufactured for the next year. My suspect is that in '04 they made the improvements to the heads, and pistons. Makes sense. Then in '05 I saw the part number back in the book, and now its gone. H-D#16934-02A CNC Ported HTCC Heads (Silver) and the pistons, I cannot find the part numbers, but they were the matched set for the heads. My dealer screwed up something, and ended up haveing to change out the jugs, so they did a overbore (.015) ,and matching pistons. I noticed a significant and major improvement. But when I did the [highlight].625 lift gear drive cams [/highlight](700 miles later - money you know), and a few other minor goodies to the heads, I got the best gain realized. Everything just seemed to work perfectly together. I do have a reliable, faster and more powerful 103" than the factory original. Got dam emmissions.
The interesting thing I am looking foreward to is to see you all at the up comming rallys. Much fun wiith all that loose Torque running around. The wives are gonna' wish they stayed home... [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]
NH

Nasty,

whose cams are you using????

Cheers
Aussie
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 05:55:22 PM »

GC Super,

Could you please backup your comments with why you feel they don't suck.   I have done the testing with 3 different people working these heads massaging them and all out new CNCing of them and they still were less than any htcc bathtub shaped out of the box.   The hemi design was done for epa and unless you weld them up they suck, so I am interested in your retort to why you feel they don't suck LOL.

-harry

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2006, 06:26:17 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Gentlemen,
  I was informed American Iron did an article with Neal Taylor on the Jim's 120, in the April, '06, issue.  Can't find it.  Anyone seen it?  Please advise.  BTW, before I built my 120, Tilley worked the Stock 88 Heads on Ol' Maudie.  Tilley does a lot of Headwork for S&S, too.  I've seen pallets full of 'em there.  He fine tuned my Zipper's Heads, too.  I'll try and get the spec's on 'em, and post.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2006, 06:43:54 PM »

Hey Harry, you mean all those advertisements for the 'hemi' that I see on TV are misguided?  [smiley=confused5.gif] Har!  ;D spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2006, 07:01:02 PM »

Spidey,

NO NO lets not confuse the topics here.   I am talking about Harleys in ability to make Hemi Designed heads for our Screaming Eagle Twin Cam Engines that are worth a chit from the factory or with work without welding them to imitate bathtub designs.

I am still waiting for GC to make his rebutle on why he feels they don't "SUCK" LOL.    They have no squish, they make no torque and do not have any velocity in regards to air flow.        

For the record I love my 350 HP Silver Steel R/T Charger :)   Actually I was out looking today at the R/T 10 Pickup with the Viper Engine (500+) HP.  I didnt fit in the Viper, so  I test drove the truck today, just not sure I liked the ride it was a bit stiffer than I expected, so I am gonna heal up a bit more and re drive it.

Off topic again ohh well i blame the meds :)

-Harry

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2006, 07:11:39 PM »

Spidey,

NO NO lets not confuse the topics here.   I am talking about Harleys in ability to make Hemi Designed heads for our Screaming Eagle Twin Cam Engines that are worth a chit from the factory or with work without welding them to imitate bathtub designs.

I am still waiting for GC to make his rebutle on why he feels they don't "SUCK" LOL.    They have no squish, they make no torque and do not have any velocity in regards to air flow.        

For the record I love my 350 HP Silver Steel R/T Charger :)   Actually I was out looking today at the R/T 10 Pickup with the Viper Engine (500+) HP.  I didnt fit in the Viper, so  I test drove the truck today, just not sure I liked the ride it was a bit stiffer than I expected, so I am gonna heal up a bit more and re drive it.

Off topic again ohh well [highlight]i blame the meds [/highlight]:)

-Harry
Thaaaat's Right!  It's what I always do!  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] har!  [smiley=drink.gif] spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.