Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: have to reduce CR  (Read 3778 times)

lair116

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
have to reduce CR
« on: June 02, 2006, 07:01:38 PM »

I have a 116" motor in my Deuce with close to 12:1 cr and it will only run on 110 race gas so I am liminted to 90 miles one way till have to turn around,I have S&S .640 gear drive cams, was thinking of replacing the head .30k gaskets to maybe .50k to bring my cr down to 9.8 or 10:to1 what cams should I use to keep the Tq the same and all around performance with this cr? any suggestions? I think it's time to go back to 94 gas but don't want to loose the hp or tq

Larry.

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• CVO1: FLSTFSE
    • Aussie's home page
Re: have to reduce CR
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 07:21:38 PM »

Larry,
Changing your head gaskets to ones 20 thou thicker won't do very much to your CR especially if your want to drop from 12 to 10. I would suggest you need to change your pistons.

PS: over here we have a product called octane booster (you must have it in the US) you add a measured amount to every tank full of pump gas to reach your desired octane. The only down side is you need to carry a small bottle of it with you.

Cheers
Aussie
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

lair116

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 07:57:32 PM »

Aussie: how I got this high cr was milled the heads and took off .50k so if I replace that .50k with the same size gasket plus .30k I think there's a .60 gasket ofered by James gaskets it will bring my cr back to I believe 9.8... the pistons that came with the 116" Jims kit are 6.5cc dished pistons so I think the pistions are ok

Larry. [smiley=drink.gif]

syclone

• Full CVO Member
  • IF YA CANT AFFORD TO BREAK IT-- DONT RIDE IT
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 10:28:24 PM »

You need to change the pistons or the heads....when you add that much chamber volume by raising the head with a gasket, you lose all your squish area. Not a real concern on a low compression motor like a CVO 103 to have little or no squish as we are only at about a true 8.7:1. But if you manage to get that motor down to 10:1 with a gasket ...you will not have enough turbulence in the chamber for good mixture distribution...lean areas and rich areas....now add a cam with lots shorter duration to gain some of the lost torque back...raising the cylinder pressures ...and you end up with the perfect combination for a "ping monster" .
What heads with what chamber volume are you currently using...??
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 10:31:08 PM by syclone »
Just my opinon......I could be wrong

'05 SEEG  114"  all bore motor

04 night train 95" 10.5:1 KBs,ported and decked heads, tw55g cams,rollers,3.37,44cv
01 Dyna,95" ported SE heads,wood t

lair116

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 12:13:07 PM »

The heads are from R&R racing out of New England, 1.97 intake and 1.65 exhaust they flow 300cmf and 97cc total chamber Vol.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 12:38:38 PM »

The heads are from R&R racing out of New England, 1.97 intake and 1.65 exhaust they flow [highlight]300cmf[/highlight] and 97cc total chamber Vol.

I'm sure you meant CFM there, lair, but DAMN!  Most HTCC Heads flow around 150-160, I've been told.  My Zipper's Heads flowed 174.  You talkin' collectively, or individually?  Please advise.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

freebird

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 03:16:45 PM »

Lair send me a PM with some contact info. I will steer you in the right direction. BTW you are thinking out of the box.

lair116

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 11:17:58 AM »

Hey guys I will call Randy at Hyperformance he is the one that opened them up and the info I need check out his heads and motors at www.kingofcubes.com his stuff will blow your mind [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

lair116

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 07:01:12 PM »

Hubbard, Ok I just got off the phone with Randy from Hyperformance he said that these heads flow 300 CFM each!! at 28 inches of water maybe the heads you were talking about were flowed at 10 inches of water? any way he also said that with these heasd they reached 6000 rip 3 to 4 seconds faster then the Htcc heads or head quators, I manage to wear out a 240 rear tire every year [smiley=drink.gif]  

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 07:24:55 PM »

You've got my curosity up, there lair! :-?  I'll do some research, and then post my findings. ;)  Later--HUBBARD    
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 09:39:43 PM »

Hubbard, Ok I just got off the phone with Randy from Hyperformance he said that these heads flow 300 CFM each!! at 28 inches of water maybe the heads you were talking about were flowed at 10 inches of water? any way he also said that with these heasd they reached 6000 rip 3 to 4 seconds faster then the Htcc heads or head quators, I manage to wear out a 240 rear tire every year [smiley=drink.gif]  

Industry standard for heads is 10 inches of water colume. I don't think your problem is the compression ratio. As a matter of fact I KNOW THAT IS NOT THE PROBLEM. I am running a set of heads cut 85 thou with 10.5 to 1 pistons and running a set of cams comparble to the S&S 640 with no ping running in the mountains. Look at your timing and look at your fuel and look at your tuning.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 09:41:31 PM »

You've got my curosity up, there lair! :-?  I'll do some research, and then post my findings. ;)  Later--HUBBARD    

Mr Hubbard I await your findings. Your heads flowing 174 cfm is just about right!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

lair116

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 10:01:35 AM »

DCFIREMANN, the info I gave you guys came stright from the horses mouth, did any of you look up Hyperformance web site? www.kingofcubes.com or you could speek to him your self at 515-266-6381 and ask for Randy he an old fart like me and has been building big motors for ever

You took 85k off your heads and are useing 10.5 to 1 domed pistons? you must have 15:1 cr.... I took a compression test when my motor was warm and I get 235 lbs static thats with the .640 cams ..Randy suggested that I go to a .620 cam that he has with a longer duration that will lower my cr by 3/4s of a point that will increase my TQ he also said to check my timming like you said but how can you do this on a twin cam motor? I have the new Dyna ing. any suggestings thanks

Lair. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  

lair116

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 10:25:42 AM »

DCFIREMANN I talked to Randy one more time and you are right!!! he said to make sure the LED is on the top stoke on number 1 piston then faten up my jets till the pipes are light black ( right now they are almost white)  and then fine tune the the ing. timming, when they want to sell you something new, it's the best thing to white on bread but when you ask them to help you with the unit they forget who you are [smiley=soapbox.gif]  I'm not sure what he ment to make sure that the LED is on at top dead center on the #1 piston can you help thanks

Lair.

lair116

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 11:25:51 AM »

DCFIREMANN, I'm doing what you said to do timming is done, a few questions, you said check fuel, right now I running 110 race gas with a S&S carb that has a 80 main jet and a 29.5 second jet and my pipes are almost white should I switch over to 93 octain and see it the pipes change back to black and then jet from there? thanks seems to make sence sofar

lair  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 21 queries.