Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: have to reduce CR  (Read 3777 times)

Michael

• Michael's Stable
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2012 FLTRXSE BLACK & BLUE
Re: have to reduce CR
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 04:40:30 PM »

Is the race fuel leaded?

If the race fuel has lead the pipe color can and will be misleading. The lead in the fuel, while acting as a lubricant leaves a grayish, not so much white, but gray film.
2012 FLTRXSE B&B
2010 Haulmark VHauler
2007 Shelby Mustang GT

lair116

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 05:38:56 PM »

Michael, yes in matter fact the race gas is leaded, you know last year I tried using 93 gas with the same timming settings and it had no power compaed to the race gas and it also started pinging and over heated

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2006, 07:45:19 PM »

Is the race fuel leaded?

If the race fuel has lead the pipe color can and will be misleading. The lead in the fuel, while acting as a lubricant leaves a grayish, not so much white, but gray film.

Yep they sure are full of lead!!!!

Liar switch to 93 octane unleaded and start from there. The dyna ignition came with an instruction sheet that will tell you how to change your timing. It will also show you different timing curves. You need to find that sheet or go to Dyna's web site and download one.

I am not sure about your jetting on your S&S carb. I would think you have a super "G" and does it have a Thunder Jet????? The 29.5 is always a good starting point but in a big motor I am not sure that is enough. You need to get this motor tuned before you grenade it. Running tooo much timing and not enough fuel can blow a piston apart even fordged pistons will blow it just takes a little more to do it.

I am going to send you a PM on this subject. I will also try to find my old S&S jetting sheet. It has a lot of Evo jetting but I am not sure about a big inch two cammer.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 07:46:27 PM by DCFIREMANN »
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Michael

• Michael's Stable
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2012 FLTRXSE BLACK & BLUE
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2006, 08:17:32 PM »

Take a look at the VP fuel site. There are a number of blends available now that are leaded or unleaded. Actually there are some really cool blends out there. VP has some greatly and heavily oxygenated blends too.

They are lots of fun to ecxperiment with. The U2 & U4 were my favorite.

Not too high of an octane rating, as we know octane robs power, if it isnt needed, dont use it. If I recall the U-series fuels are 97 or 98 octane, leaded and heavily oxygenated.
2012 FLTRXSE B&B
2010 Haulmark VHauler
2007 Shelby Mustang GT

lair116

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2006, 10:18:32 PM »

Firemann & Mike,
  thanks for the info so far, I do have the Dyna instructions and it states to set the first two settings at 2 which I did, I had an HQ ing, before which was programed for this motor with 93 gas, It had low power and after a long ride it would over head and ping like crazy and started to smoke a bit, so I found a gas station with 100 OCT unleaded, and the motor liked it so then I found a station next to my house with 110 leaded??? race gas and the motor came alive and have been running it for two years now, last summer we had the heads taken off for a vale job and there was no damage to the pistons so we put in a new set of rings and bolted it back togeather tomorrow I'm going to ask the owner one more time if his 110 gas is leaded or unleaded I have seen brand new corvetts put this gas in but also seen old 454's chevelle's stop and also fill up, I'll wait for your PM mike thanks alot I hope I can get the same performance with the 93 oct, [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

lair116

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2006, 10:26:47 PM »

DCFIREMANN, I have a DaVinci 48mm S&S carb with 29.5 pilot and a 80 main jet it came with a 29.5 pilot and a 78 main jet I just hope I can get this all strighten out before I gernad, maybe I'll just bite my toung and take to a super tunner [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2006, 06:55:58 AM »

DCFIREMANN, I have a DaVinci 48mm S&S carb with 29.5 pilot and a 80 main jet it came with a 29.5 pilot and a 78 main jet I just hope I can get this all strighten out before I gernad, maybe I'll just bite my toung and take to a super tunner [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Liar PM sent. If you need anything just give me a yell.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

lair116

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2006, 10:02:56 PM »

DCFIREMANN, In talked to Bill at zippers today and he said he could build me a S&S G with a thunderjet that will work better then the one I got for $466.50 and since I have 235lbs static cranking pressure that to continue to use the 110 race gas he new nothing the new Dyna ing, but the Head Quarters that I had on there before was just as good, the new Dyna has a built in program to let the motor turn over 3 times till it fires on top dead center which helps a lot, I could install my own thunder jet and go from there what ya think thanks

Lair.

475wildey

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2006, 10:26:12 PM »

I'm sure you meant CFM there, lair, but DAMN!  Most HTCC Heads flow around 150-160, I've been told.  My Zipper's Heads flowed 174.  You talkin' collectively, or individually?  Please advise.  Later--HUBBARD

Hubb,
174 cfm at 10 inches water works out to 291 cfm at 28 inches
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 10:31:06 PM by 475wildey »
2005 fxdwg              
124 S&S                  
B2 heads                  
640 S&S cams    

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2006, 05:52:23 AM »

DCFIREMANN, In talked to Bill at zippers today and he said he could build me a S&S G with a thunderjet that will work better then the one I got for $466.50 and since I have 235lbs static cranking pressure that to continue to use the 110 race gas he new nothing the new Dyna ing, but the Head Quarters that I had on there before was just as good, the new Dyna has a built in program to let the motor turn over 3 times till it fires on top dead center which helps a lot, I could install my own thunder jet and go from there what ya think thanks

Lair.

Go with the S&S with the jet it is great for power and it gives you another circuit to tune with. I am very surprised that your static pressure is so high with that set of cams. I will static mine tomorrow night but if I remember correctly it was just around 190. And I am guessing because I really don't remember. Did you actually check yours or did some one else do it???? Do you have compression releases in your heads?

Be Safe

THE DAWG
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 05:53:39 AM by DCFIREMANN »
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

lair116

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2006, 10:05:00 AM »

DAWG,Yes I have compression valves is as matter fact I drilled them out to release more pressure during start up, and I did my own compression test some time back when it was hot so today I'll try it again and see were it is at while the motor is cold come to think of it I cant remeber if was before or after the .640's were put in, I guess I'll go do it right now, Ok I justed ran the static psi with the motor cold... I must be getting old or something because some time last summer I sware I had 235 [smiley=nixweiss.gif] but now with the cv's closed and the throttle wide open I get 190 psi static I must be loosing my mind or maybe to much [smiley=drink.gif] any way it is what it is, now what can we do DAWG?? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2006, 10:57:10 AM »

At 190 like mine WE CAN WORK WITH THAT!!!!!! We can start with your timing. You need to cut your timing BACK some. If you had a Daytona Twin Tec or the Zippers ignition I could PM you with your settings. I would do the carb from Zippers before you tune the bike. I know I can get this thing to run on pump gas, mine does and it does it like a RAPED APE!!!!!! ;D

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

lair116

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2006, 01:00:52 PM »

DAWG, I do have the Daytona twin Tec ignition!! I just bought it and it's on the bike right now, I have the first dile, (intial timming set at #2 and the advance slope set at #2) and the rev limiter set @ 6200 and it runs like a divorced man to his new girl friend [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] now what do we do?

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2006, 01:03:23 PM »

I am at the fire house today, so we will have to wait till I get home tomorrow night. We will get this thing straight.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

lair116

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2006, 01:19:52 PM »

I work nights my self from 9:00 pm to 7:30 am, I'm looking forward to get this motor on pump gas, oh hears a side shot of my little muel with a 4'' stack
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 21 queries.