Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Major Engine Problem  (Read 5984 times)

JustBill

Major Engine Problem
« on: June 18, 2006, 12:08:58 PM »

Traveling home from Orlando yesterday, running about 80 on the FLA turnpike and the bike starts running on one cylinder and then quits running altogether.  Short story had to get a tow truck to get the rest of the way home.  

Got home and checked the codes and getting P0108 Map Sensor High EFI.  What does this tell me?  Thanks for any help.

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2004  SE-103          ROAD KING CLASSIC
Re: Major Engine Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 03:05:36 PM »

Traveling home from Orlando yesterday, running about 80 on the FLA turnpike and the bike starts running on one cylinder and then quits running altogether.  Short story had to get a tow truck to get the rest of the way home.  

Got home and checked the codes and getting P0108 Map Sensor High EFI.  What does this tell me?  Thanks for any help.

i don't know what the error code means, but usually when the cylinders shut down like that it's because they overheated. it is kind of a fail safe so that you won't fry your scoot.
i am suprised that the bike would not run when it cooled down.

2004 flhrci se-103 pearl white
bassani true duals w/ho mufflers
se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers
2008 lincoln mark lt(silver)

jdracing

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 03:08:46 PM »

Hi Bill;

Maybe some others will know better, but I don't think there is any more information readily available about what that code means other than what you've listed.  I'd suspect that the MAP sensor has failed, especially reading some of the other codes right around the one your bike has thrown.  

I guess at this point you have two choices:  (1) Take it to the dealer (where they'd probably plug in a new MAP sensor and see if that fixes it or not, and if not, just put it back on the shelf), or (2) bite the bullet and buy a new MAP sensor yourself (saving the labor cost) and try it.  However, on #2, most dealers won't allow return of electrical parts, so if that's not the problem, you're stuck with the part--maybe your dealer will cut you some slack here?

Do you have a friend nearby with an SEEG where you could borrow his MAP sensor to try it before you spend any money?

Jeff
Fremont, CA

2005 Cherry SEEG, V&H Dresser Duals, Samson Rolled Thunder Mufflers, Ness Big Sucker, and Race Tuner

2005 Sierra Red/Silver Dyna Low Rider (Wife's ride), SE Tapered Mufflers, Ness Big Sucker, and Stage

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 04:06:53 PM »

I moved to TC section in hopes of getting more exposure and responses to the topic.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 06:50:37 PM »

Got home and checked the codes and getting [highlight]P0108 Map Sensor High EFI[/highlight].  What does this tell me?  Thanks for any help.
Bill,

P0108 is indeed the fault code for a MAP sensor out of the normal range.  Were there any other codes as well?  A MAP failure should not shut the engine down, it should just set the code and turn on the check engine light (and the engine won't run as well).  You may have multiple codes, or an electrical failure that just happened to set this particular code.  The MAP, TP, and VSS sensors all share a 5 volt reference signal from the ECM, so if that signal is shorted or open you would expect to have codes for all three sensors.

BTW - you can check the MAP with a voltmeter.  With the key on and engine off, you should see between 3.5 and 5.0 volts between the black/white wire and the violet/white wires from the sensor.  With the key on and engine running, the values should be between 1.5 and 3.0 volts.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JustBill

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 07:51:24 PM »

Bill,

P0108 is indeed the fault code for a MAP sensor out of the normal range.  Were there any other codes as well?  A MAP failure should not shut the engine down, it should just set the code and turn on the check engine light (and the engine won't run as well).  You may have multiple codes, or an electrical failure that just happened to set this particular code.  The MAP, TP, and VSS sensors all share a 5 volt reference signal from the ECM, so if that signal is shorted or open you would expect to have codes for all three sensors.

BTW - you can check the MAP with a voltmeter.  With the key on and engine off, you should see between 3.5 and 5.0 volts between the black/white wire and the violet/white wires from the sensor.  With the key on and engine running, the values should be between 1.5 and 3.0 volts.

Jerry

Jerry,
Got two other codes P1353 Front Cylinder No Combustion EFI and P1356 Rear Cylinder No Combustion EFI.  I was just wondering if the coil was at fault.  

In any case shouldn't this be covered under warranty?

gocatgoracin

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 09:24:03 PM »

Hi, I was just reading with interest on the problems you are having, I too am having some problem but nothing as major as yours, just getting an occasional miss/sputter. The question I have is for Jerry, where is he getting info that tells you about the voltage across the MAP sensor? I bought a $60.00 manual that tells me NOTHING along these lines, just how to take things off and put them back on, I am very disapointed in this manual!!! I have a purple 2002 SERK

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 09:37:12 PM »

This information (diagnostic code/s) can be found in the Electrical Diagnostic Manual. HD Part # 99497-04 (This is for FLHTCSE)

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 09:38:55 PM »

Bill,

Jerry

Jerry,
Got two other codes P1353 Front Cylinder No Combustion EFI and P1356 Rear Cylinder No Combustion EFI.  I was just wondering if the coil was at fault.  

In any case shouldn't this be covered under warranty?

Check your fuses!!!!!! If the coil does not fire it also sends a code. I did not check but have you done any mods to your bike? But again check your fuses I think you will find your problem. Now if you do find a blown fuse you need to know why it blew. I wish I was in the shop I could almost tell you what fuse.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

h2oski

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 10:34:20 AM »

What year and model is your bike.  Starting from the beginning of the 2002 Model Year through sometime towards the end of the 2002 Model Year the screws between the manifold and the throttle body were backing out.  I had it happen on my 02 FLHRSEI.  This only happened on the "Alpha" motors, Touring and Dyna platforms.  Your dealer might goodwill this for you since it was a known problem.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 10:34:50 AM by h2oski »

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
  • also known as Da' Bear...
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 05:44:04 PM »

Remember - once at speed the bike (even in the Desert at 100+ degrees) as long as you are getting air to the oil cooler - the bike will not overheat...

[smiley=drink.gif]
John "JFScheck" Scheck
H-D Screamin' Eagle CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic in Autumn Haze & Vivid Black
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."

gocatgoracin

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 07:28:18 PM »

Thanks guys for the info. I am going to find out about a diognostics manual that covers the FLHRSEI, I am going out right now and check my throttle body bolts. Thanks again

h2oski

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 08:02:47 PM »

Thanks guys for the info. I am going to find out about a diognostics manual that covers the FLHRSEI, I am going out right now and check my throttle body bolts. Thanks again

I just happenend to have my engine torn down right now so I took some pics of the EFI unit.  I identified the two screws that were the problem.  Your dealer will have a repair kit that has different screws to replace these two.  I think they are longer and a different material.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 08:03:39 PM by h2oski »

gocatgoracin

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 09:40:12 PM »

Thanks h2, you are great, I assume that my unit will be loose at the manifold if these have worked loose, I am still new to all of this, what is "alpha" how do I tell if my bike is or not? just curious, what does the h2 stand for? thanks again.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 11:56:29 PM »

[highlight]what does the h2 stand for?[/highlight]  Unless I'm way off it decodes to water ski as in H-two-zero for water.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

If you have the right service manual, it has a section that will give you nearly all the malfunction codes for your year scooter.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 11:58:10 PM by CVOJOE »
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.