Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Major Engine Problem  (Read 5982 times)

h2oski

• Full CVO Member
Re: Major Engine Problem
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2006, 12:33:50 AM »

CVOJOE hit it on the head.  My first passion is water skiing then riding my FLHTCSE is a close second.  

What I would do is remove your horn first.  It has the one acorn nut that holds it on and the wire connection in the back.  Just pull the two wire connectors off the terminal and you have it off.  I would then just take a flashlight and see if you can see if the throttle body and manifold are seperated at all.  

Another easy way to gain access to the efi system is by removing your tank.  It really isn't that hard.  I took a picture of my tank as it is on my bike now.  You can do the same thing with your FLHRSEI.  There are three screws that hold the tank to the frame.  One under the seat, and one on each side at the front of the tank.  Remove the quick connect fuel line that leads to the EFI unit from the tank side.  Then rig up a fuel line plug for the crossover line, see the second picture.  You will need a couple of hose clamps to do this and you will replace the original clamp with a hose clamp for reinstallation.  There is usually a little gas spillage, but nothing too bad.  Now just lift the tank up and flip it 180 degrees and lay it on the battery and rear fender.  Just make sure you put a towel down to protect your fender.  The benefit here of doing it this way is you don't have to disconnect any of the wiring that is in the center console.  Now you have complete access to your EFI unit to see if the screws backed out or broke.  
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 12:43:04 AM by h2oski »

h2oski

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2006, 12:34:27 AM »

And here are the photos of how I plug the fuel crossover.

h2oski

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2006, 12:39:26 AM »

I forgot to mention what an Alpha engine is.  With the launch of twin cam there were two engines.  The alpha engine in 1999 is a rubber mounted nonbalanced engine.  It is used on the touring and dyna platforms, althought Dyna has a new engine now that is an upgraded version of the old alpha.  The other engine is a Beta engine launched in 2000.  It is a rigid mounted balanced engine.  There is a seperate balancing system that counteracts the vibration generated by the pistons firing.  It is used exclusively on softails.  
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 12:41:49 AM by h2oski »

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2006, 05:52:14 AM »

For this fix there is no need to remove the tank. Unclip the fuel line feeding the injectors, unbolt the tank, then slide about a 20 inch (long)peice of 2x4 between the tank and the frame. Also when removing the cross over line all you need are 2 vacum line plugs and a pair of vice grips. Clamp the line on either side, remove the other side and plug the fitting. You don't have to do both side but if you want to just remove the line from the other side of the tank and plug that fitting also.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 21 queries.