Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: is it worth it or not, that is the question  (Read 18468 times)

anzac

• Full CVO Member
is it worth it or not, that is the question
« on: October 21, 2013, 01:27:15 PM »

I have a Ultra CVO 2009 , love the bike but I like what harley has done to the new 2014 model and when all the bugs are worked out I'm sure 2015 will be terrific. I spoke to my dealer the other day and he said with the new engine enhancement on the limited 103s you are better off just gettine a 103 limited instead of the 110.  price and value wise

Now my question is besides the heated seats and crome is there anything else the new CVO screaming eagle has over the Limited 103 Ultra for the extra 10 grand, any advice would be
helpful

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: is it worth it or not, that is the question
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 02:24:28 PM »

well, whether or not it is worth it is a question only you can answer.  but for your $12,000 + you're gonna get a bigger engine, much nicer paint job, 75 watt per channel amplifiers, mirror chrome chisel wheels, hd ventilator a/c, LED passing lights, better exhaust (subjective), wrap around led run/brake lights on the tourpack and dual control heated seats.  plus some other chrome bits.

if you were to add the items individually, it would come up more than the cvo cost wise.  but, the question becomes, would you add all those things? or only some of them?

if you look at the limited edition paint sets, with the extended saddlebags, and tourpack, they run about $10,000 for the complete set.

course, you also get the improved resale value of the cvo vs the limited which all your add-ons don't really increase the book value of the sale (if thats a consideration for you)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 02:27:46 PM by ekim60 »
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 03:36:53 PM »

I have a Ultra CVO 2009 , love the bike but I like what harley has done to the new 2014 model and when all the bugs are worked out I'm sure 2015 will be terrific. I spoke to my dealer the other day and he said with the new engine enhancement on the limited 103s you are better off just gettine a 103 limited instead of the 110.  price and value wise

Now my question is besides the heated seats and crome is there anything else the new CVO screaming eagle has over the Limited 103 Ultra for the extra 10 grand, any advice would be
helpful
Here's what's going to happen. You're going to buy the Limited then spend a bunch of time and money trying to dress it up like the CVO. Just get the CVO  :nixweiss:

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 03:48:45 PM »

Here's what's going to happen. You're going to buy the Limited then spend a bunch of time and money trying to dress it up like the CVO. Just get the CVO  :nixweiss:

Agree, been there done that

US.Army.Retired

• Junior CVO Member
  • US Army (Retired)

• CVO1: 2004 Fatboy
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 - Scarlet Red/Dark Slate
    • CVO3: 2014 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 04:21:27 PM »

power locks $1000  :apple:
upgraded speakers $1000   :bananarock:
110 $2000  :jalapeno:
Paint $1000+  :cucumber:
Crome and Crome and More Crome $??  :pineapple:
Heated Seat $1200  :pepper:

:2vrolijk_21: Just get the CVO  :2vrolijk_21:

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 05:11:16 PM »

Oh and I forgot to mention when it's time to trade/sell it's a limited, not a CVO  :-\

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

anzac

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 05:23:39 PM »

Thank you very much, I just needed that extra push, I'll get the Screamin Eagle

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 06:10:55 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 07:03:35 PM »

Oh and I forgot to mention when it's time to trade/sell it's a limited, not a CVO  :-\
X2 Agree
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 07:31:28 PM »

Now the question is , which color?
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

dahsen

• Elite CVO Member
    • QC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout Sedona Sand
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 10:06:22 PM »

... Bought the t-shirt...

limited1432

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 08:04:23 AM »

If you have the cash..........CVO........if you don't Ultra it is a lot of bike for the Bucks
Support Our Troops
Thank a Soldier

ultrarider123

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 08:16:41 AM »

Here's what's going to happen. You're going to buy the Limited then spend a bunch of time and money trying to dress it up like the CVO. Just get the CVO  :nixweiss:

Jesse, I had to clean my computer screen after reading that one.... :huepfenlol2:
....as if we ALL don't do that with our CVO's anyway..... :2vrolijk_21:

ANZAC:  To answer your original question....you can't make a stock Limited into a CVO limited for anywhere near the MSRP on a CVO Limited.  Plus, after you do the mods to the stock Limited, it's still just a stock Limited when it comes to selling/trade-in time.  Look at it this way, if you spend $27K on the Limited and then put say $12,000 in accessories on it (appearance, performance, sound, paint, etc), when you go to trade in a couple years, those $12,000 mods equate to maybe 10% of their original cost (so figure at the most $1,200 if you are lucky) not to mention depreciation on the stock Limited.  Take the Limited CVO at $39K.  The extras that come on the CVO are part of the bike, not extras.  So while it will depreciate just like the stock Limited does, the extra "stuff" on the CVO keeps more of the original value and isn't figured separately as extras.  Of course, all of this depends on what you can afford AND if you do any mods to the Limited.  If you kept it stock and like it that way and don't really want/need all the bling that comes with the CVO, by all means jump on the Limited.  Really, it comes down to what you like.  Good luck on whatever road you take.

Haird
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 01:29:18 PM by Haird »

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 11:34:09 AM »

Jesse, I had to clean my computer screen after reading that one.... :huepfenlol2:
....as if we ALL don't do that with our CVO's anyway..... :2vrolijk_21:

ANZAC:  To answer your original question....you can't make a stock Limited into a CVO limited for anywhere near the MSRP on a CVO Limited.  Plus, after you do the mods to the stock Limited, it's still just a stock Limited with it comes to selling/trade-in time.  Look at it this way, if you spend $27K on the Limited and then put say $12,000 in accessories on it (appearance, performance, sound, paint, etc), when you go to trade in a couple years, those $12,000 mods equate to maybe 10% of their original cost (so figure at the most $1,200 if your are lucky) not to mention depreciation on the stock Limited.  Take the Limited CVO at $39K.  The extras that come on the CVO are part of the bike, not extras.  So while it will depreciate just like the stock Limited does, the extra "stuff" on the CVO keeps more of the original value and isn't figured separately as extras.  Of course, all of this depends on what you can afford AND if you do any mods to the Limited.  If you kept it stock and like it that way and don't really want/need all the bling that comes with the CVO, by all means jump on the Limited.  Really, it comes down to what you like.  Good luck on whatever road you take.

Haird

Hehe well said my friend, well said.  :coolblue:

anzac

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 11:41:32 AM »

thank you once again for all the valuable advice

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2013, 01:23:55 PM »

Agreed - done that myself on an older Harley, before my 2009 CVO.

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 02:15:32 PM »

On top of everthing else mentioned the CVO also gets you felt lined bags and tourpack, CVO monogramed outdoor cover, USB stick with a skull on it, etc....

Untitled by oneboltzfan, on Flickr
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue/Wicked Sapphire

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - The Big Red One
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 04:44:17 PM »

On top of everthing else mentioned the CVO also gets you felt lined bags and tourpack, CVO monogramed outdoor cover, USB stick with a skull on it, etc....

... and the ability to say "I have a CVO".     ;)

Mark

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 05:17:41 PM »

I agree with what is being said. I owned a 2007 CVO Ultra and now a 2014 Limited. the Limited fit my budget and the CVO did not. I am going to add Approx.. $2,000 in extras to my Limited and will be more than happy. You should never, ever try to duplicate the CVO starting with a Limited, it would be insane.

When I traded in my 2007 CVO I received much more in trade-in than I would have received from a regular 2007 Ultra. Made it easy to buy the new 2014 Limited.

IMHO, the most important thing is the finances; if I had a payment, especially a large one, the bike would get old quick. If you pay cash for what you feel comfortable buying, you will enjoy the bike much more and for a longer period of time.

Scott

brosen101

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CUSE8
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 05:25:53 PM »

Which ever you choose, the bike is just the price of admission...

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 05:47:24 PM »

I agree with what is being said. I owned a 2007 CVO Ultra and now a 2014 Limited. the Limited fit my budget and the CVO did not. I am going to add Approx.. $2,000 in extras to my Limited and will be more than happy. You should never, ever try to duplicate the CVO starting with a Limited, it would be insane.

When I traded in my 2007 CVO I received much more in trade-in than I would have received from a regular 2007 Ultra. Made it easy to buy the new 2014 Limited.

IMHO, the most important thing is the finances; if I had a payment, especially a large one, the bike would get old quick. If you pay cash for what you feel comfortable buying, you will enjoy the bike much more and for a longer period of time.

Scott
Different strokes for different folks. I have a payment and the bike NEVER gets old. If I ever felt like that it would be time to get out of the business. Did you pay cash for your house too? If so, is it getting old living there? Guess I don't get the logic. Either way, rubber side down and enjoy your ride!  :nixweiss:

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 05:58:36 PM »

Different strokes for different folks. I have a payment and the bike NEVER gets old. If I ever felt like that it would be time to get out of the business. Did you pay cash for your house too? If so, is it getting old living there? Guess I don't get the logic. Either way, rubber side down and enjoy your ride!  :nixweiss:

It's all cool, I just have aversion to debt. Some people are comfortable with it, some are not. Just something to think about when making a major purchase, that's all. 

hdctss

• Senior CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE, 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - both traded
    • CVO3: 2009 FLHTCUSE4, 2007 FLHTCUSE2 - both traded
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 07:13:18 PM »

I do agree...for toys I pay cash, that way I can always sell it if I need cash for an emergency...but again, that is just me
2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary Odyssey Blue
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire with Dragontail Graphics (traded)
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Silver/Slate and Titanium (traded)
2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Blue (traded)
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red (traded)

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2013, 08:52:18 PM »

Which ever you choose, the bike is just the price of admission...

For the first time in my HD buying life I can say that the 2014 comes ready to tour. All the changes you make are because you want them, not because it's the only way to get the bike running proper or the only way to put good brakes etc. The 14 CVO or Limited comes with great brakes, handling and what I feel is acceptable power. The nice chrome stuff is up to you.

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2013, 08:27:33 AM »

For me, it depends on the model year. I've gone back and forth with cvo and non cvo bikes I've purchased. Its got to be a bike that I really like for me to shell the extra $ for a cvo. The "its cheaper than upgrading to the same specs" doesn't make sense since I would never upgrade to the same specs anyway. I fell in love with the atomic orange cvo rg, however I still think that the limited ultra is the best bang for the buck of any of the touring bikes.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2013, 09:19:35 AM »

I think everyone agrees; you don't buy a Ultra Limited and try to make it into a CVO; with that said here is what I looked at, New 2014 CVO Ultra $38,999, Average California sales tax 8% for a total of $42,118.92 plus License. You would probably only add upgraded Mufflers and air cleaner. I am not including that cost because you would do the same with the Ultra Limited.

If you buy the Ultra Limited in Black the price is $25,899, with 8% tax you are at 27,970.92, if you go with the top custom paint option Ultra Limited the price is $27,364 plus 8% sales tax or 29,553.12. I am very happy with the factory paint on the Limited (Yes I prefer the CVO) and only wish to add the slipstream rider and passenger floor boards using the swept wing option; just like those on the CVO. I would add the XM Module option, garage door opener, upgraded round custom gear shift linkage and short angle adjustable highway pegs. Total retail for all the parts is $1,499.35. I plan on buying this winter during my dealers 20% off sale for a total price of $1,199.48. That will result in a total price of $29,170.40 for the black Limited and $30,752.60 for the custom paint optioned Ultra Limited.

These would be bikes that look great and have all the features I would consider "required". Most of the extras included with the CVO are cosmetic. You have a little more power with the 110" motor but the 103" sure does the job. The difference is approx.. $12,948.52 between the black Nicely equipped Ultra Limited and a CVO and $11,366.32 for the Custom paint option Ultra Limited.

The difference would of course drop close to another $1,000 if you have the accessories installed by the dealer. I did not include the cost of California's Lic. Fee. It would be substantially higher for the CVO, year after year. I did not include the price of mufflers or air cleaner because they are needed on both bikes.

Without question; if the difference is not a issue, go with the CVO. If a person is more like myself, I was more comfortable with the Ultra Limited and found the bikes appearance and performance more than acceptable. Nothing like looking at the facts. Again; If you want the Chrome front end, polished front disc brakes, chrome handlebar controls, color matched inner fairing, etc., etc., etc. for heavens sake go with the CVO.

Hope this helps
Scott

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2013, 09:53:27 AM »

The dealer probably said that because he had a Limited on the floor and wanted to make the
sale now instead of waiting on a CVO. Also he probably already has all the CVO bikes pre-sold
and holding deposits on them. He just wanted to make a quick sale.

If you can afford it buy the CVO!

ultrarider123

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2013, 10:12:45 AM »

The dealer probably said that because he had a Limited on the floor and wanted to make the
sale now instead of waiting on a CVO. Also he probably already has all the CVO bikes pre-sold
and holding deposits on them. He just wanted to make a quick sale.

If you can afford it buy the CVO!

Same said dealer would say "Man, you should'a waited for the CVO" when one does come in/available.  Next words would be "you ready to trade?"

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2013, 12:03:11 PM »

I think everyone agrees; you don't buy a Ultra Limited and try to make it into a CVO; with that said here is what I looked at, New 2014 CVO Ultra $38,999, Average California sales tax 8% for a total of $42,118.92 plus License. You would probably only add upgraded Mufflers and air cleaner. I am not including that cost because you would do the same with the Ultra Limited.

If you buy the Ultra Limited in Black the price is $25,899, with 8% tax you are at 27,970.92, if you go with the top custom paint option Ultra Limited the price is $27,364 plus 8% sales tax or 29,553.12. I am very happy with the factory paint on the Limited (Yes I prefer the CVO) and only wish to add the slipstream rider and passenger floor boards using the swept wing option; just like those on the CVO. I would add the XM Module option, garage door opener, upgraded round custom gear shift linkage and short angle adjustable highway pegs. Total retail for all the parts is $1,499.35. I plan on buying this winter during my dealers 20% off sale for a total price of $1,199.48. That will result in a total price of $29,170.40 for the black Limited and $30,752.60 for the custom paint optioned Ultra Limited.

These would be bikes that look great and have all the features I would consider "required". Most of the extras included with the CVO are cosmetic. You have a little more power with the 110" motor but the 103" sure does the job. The difference is approx.. $12,948.52 between the black Nicely equipped Ultra Limited and a CVO and $11,366.32 for the Custom paint option Ultra Limited.

The difference would of course drop close to another $1,000 if you have the accessories installed by the dealer. I did not include the cost of California's Lic. Fee. It would be substantially higher for the CVO, year after year. I did not include the price of mufflers or air cleaner because they are needed on both bikes.

Without question; if the difference is not a issue, go with the CVO. If a person is more like myself, I was more comfortable with the Ultra Limited and found the bikes appearance and performance more than acceptable. Nothing like looking at the facts. Again; If you want the Chrome front end, polished front disc brakes, chrome handlebar controls, color matched inner fairing, etc., etc., etc. for heavens sake go with the CVO.

Hope this helps
Scott

Part two of this price comparison: While I have no way of knowing what todays bikes will sell for down the road, I compared a 2009 Ultra Classic to a 2009 CVO Ultra on KBB. Base trade-in values, just a apples to apples comparison.

2009 Ultra Classic Base trade-in value: $12,875, original MSRP was $20,999. Depreciation cost $8,124. If you spent $1,500 on upgrades the Depreciation cost would rise to $9,624 or $2,406 per year for four years.
2009 Ultra Classic CVO Base trade-in value: $19,550, original MSRP was $35,499, Depreciation cost $15,949 or $3,987.25 per year for four years.

These numbers are nothing more than a guide. Market prices paid in relation to book values are sometimes higher for low volume bikes like the CVO. The numbers will absolutely vary from this projection, I just think it helps to have all the facts, to some riders the $1581 estimated yearly additional depreciation is well worth owning the CVO, to others it's not. I prefer something to go on VS. the CVO brings more at trade-in time so it's really not costing you that much more to own. Everything is relative to each persons situation.

Scott

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2013, 12:29:38 PM »

Oh, Hell … I can see the nostrils flaring now   :sauer005:

brosen101

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2013, 12:30:45 PM »

For the first time in my HD buying life I can say that the 2014 comes ready to tour. All the changes you make are because you want them, not because it's the only way to get the bike running proper or the only way to put good brakes etc. The 14 CVO or Limited comes with great brakes, handling and what I feel is acceptable power. The nice chrome stuff is up to you.

I'm sure you're right about the '14.  Thought the same thing when I bought the '13 SEUG, but ended up making a few performance and functional enhancements out of personal preference   ;D

You can't go wrong with either choice from a riding perspective.  For me, I could never go back to stock or even limited, having had all the goodies right from the start, especially paint and chrome!  These are highly important features of the CVO - if someone doesn't value those features, then it's my opinion that the CVO isn't right for them regardless of the 110 (the 103 is absolutely more than enough power for the bike).  A $12k premium for a $6k engine simply doesn't make sense.

Also CVOs hold their resale value substantially better than the rest of the line up, which I found to be true with my CVORK earlier this year.  This point alone pushes me over the wall 'cause unlike with my wife, I can upgrade the bike any old time!!

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »

I'm sure you're right about the '14.  Thought the same thing when I bought the '13 SEUG, but ended up making a few performance and functional enhancements out of personal preference   ;D

You can't go wrong with either choice from a riding perspective.  For me, I could never go back to stock or even limited, having had all the goodies right from the start, especially paint and chrome!  These are highly important features of the CVO - if someone doesn't value those features, then it's my opinion that the CVO isn't right for them regardless of the 110 (the 103 is absolutely more than enough power for the bike).  A $12k premium for a $6k engine simply doesn't make sense.

Also CVOs hold their resale value substantially better than the rest of the line up, which I found to be true with my CVORK earlier this year.  This point alone pushes me over the wall 'cause unlike with my wife, I can upgrade the bike any old time!!

My only disagreement would be the "resale value substantially better than the rest of the line up". The book value guide shows and I have personally experienced a higher overall ownership cost with a CVO. Not saying that you did not have a exceptional experience, just not the average. I am not saying that the CVO is not worth the cost, that is subjective. 

The value anyone should place on a bike is the enjoyment factor; nothing else. I learned a long time ago that you can't make logical sense out of a motorcycle. Especially motorcycles that cost what a nice touring HD cost. People should buy what fits the budget and what delivers the sheer pleasure a great bike can deliver. 

brosen101

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2013, 02:09:32 PM »

It's all good!  Good luck with whatever path you choose, and enjoy the heck out of it.

Best,
Brian

limited1432

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2013, 05:41:18 PM »

Enjoy.........Buy what you can afford......I have the 2014 Ultra limited 103 had a 2011 before that ....I put a ton of miles on and will be getting a 2016......Just Ride.......Have fun ....We are only Passing Through......Do it NOW
Support Our Troops
Thank a Soldier

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2013, 05:50:17 PM »

Enjoy.........Buy what you can afford......I have the 2014 Ultra limited 103 had a 2011 before that ....I put a ton of miles on and will be getting a 2016......Just Ride.......Have fun ....We are only Passing Through......Do it NOW

Well said and so true, especially for guys like myself...past the big six O....My brain writes checks my body cant cash.

anzac

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2013, 07:01:30 PM »

you have sold me, its CVO it is

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2013, 08:01:16 PM »

the only trouble with all this math is - IMHO - trying to apply logic to an emotional decision. Did I NEED a CVO? The answer should be obvious, no I didn't. My '06 non-CVO ultra was paid for and worked just fine  I added all kinds of goodies from upgraded audio to heated seat plus some extra chrome.. Except maybe for the chassis improvements made in '09, I was perfectly happy riding the Dragon Fly dream all over the place, even after a test ride and a few rentals on the newer chassis with the 96 inch engine...THEN....

When I saw the '11.5 announced that was it - I WANTED that CVO and no other would suffice! Now don't get me wrong it was a lot of coin to purchase the bike, but if your accountant wife says it's not only alright with her - it's fully encouraged  - you have no choice, gotta make momma happy right  ;)

Of course the fact that I had the cash to make the deal helped the cause. I too have an aversion to debt.

Bottom line, get the bike you want - with the stipulation that it fits in the household budget.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2013, 08:16:07 PM »

the only trouble with all this math is - IMHO - trying to apply logic to an emotional decision. Did I NEED a CVO? The answer should be obvious, no I didn't. My '06 non-CVO ultra was paid for and worked just fine  I added all kinds of goodies from upgraded audio to heated seat plus some extra chrome.. Except maybe for the chassis improvements made in '09, I was perfectly happy riding the Dragon Fly dream all over the place, even after a test ride and a few rentals on the newer chassis with the 96 inch engine...THEN....

When I saw the '11.5 announced that was it - I WANTED that CVO and no other would suffice! Now don't get me wrong it was a lot of coin to purchase the bike, but if your accountant wife says it's not only alright with her - it's fully encouraged  - you have no choice, gotta make momma happy right  ;)

Of course the fact that I had the cash to make the deal helped the cause. I too have an aversion to debt.

Bottom line, get the bike you want - with the stipulation that it fits in the household budget.

BINGO!!!!! I was not completely satisfied with my 07 SE Ultra, had spent way too much on the bike with improvements trying to make it a bike I would be happy with. Suspension, seat, etc., etc. I was relatively happy with the 07 until I test rode the new 2014 Ultra Limited. It was everything I was looking for, best yet, with my well kept 07 SE Ultra as a trade-in I was able to write the check for the difference, wife was happy and so am I. If I could have wrote the check for another CVO without any issues (including the wife) I would have regardless of the facts and numbers, in the end I am completely satisfied with the 14 Ultra Limited in Daytona Blue. Planning about $1,200 in cosmetic upgrades and I'm good. I even put the CVO turned aluminum dash on my bike.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2013, 08:45:18 PM »

BINGO!!!!! I was not completely satisfied with my 07 SE Ultra, had spent way too much on the bike with improvements trying to make it a bike I would be happy with. Suspension, seat, etc., etc. I was relatively happy with the 07 until I test rode the new 2014 Ultra Limited. It was everything I was looking for, best yet, with my well kept 07 SE Ultra as a trade-in I was able to write the check for the difference, wife was happy and so am I. If I could have wrote the check for another CVO without any issues (including the wife) I would have regardless of the facts and numbers, in the end I am completely satisfied with the 14 Ultra Limited in Daytona Blue. Planning about $1,200 in cosmetic upgrades and I'm good. I even put the CVO turned aluminum dash on my bike.

Ya know even though the CVO comes "loaded" I've still managed to spend @ about 2k on cosmetic stuff -changing the Radio and gauge backlighting, some chrome doodads, different saddle bag guards to give the wife more comfort  ::) and installing Daymakers and modifying the tourpak lighting into run/turn/brake (more safety than cosmetic  - that's my story and I'm stickin to it).  Then of course @1k for the Fullsac exhaust.. Dang I better stop adding this stuff up in my head... I guess I'm one who just can't leave well enough alone  :huepfenlol2:

I do like the factory custom paint on your Limited. I think it rivals that of the CVO  :2vrolijk_21:

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2013, 09:23:09 PM »

That Daytona Blue is the bomb. Seen the Street glide in that color but never a limited. I kinda wish i would of waited to get the Daytona Blue limited but got the CVO Limited in blue. I think the Daytona blue looks bad ass. Imagine it really pops in the sunshine....
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2013, 12:24:07 PM »

Ya know even though the CVO comes "loaded" I've still managed to spend @ about 2k on cosmetic stuff -changing the Radio and gauge backlighting, some chrome doodads, different saddle bag guards to give the wife more comfort  ::) and installing Daymakers and modifying the tourpak lighting into run/turn/brake (more safety than cosmetic  - that's my story and I'm stickin to it).  Then of course @1k for the Fullsac exhaust.. Dang I better stop adding this stuff up in my head... I guess I'm one who just can't leave well enough alone  :huepfenlol2:

I do like the factory custom paint on your Limited. I think it rivals that of the CVO  :2vrolijk_21:

Thank you gentlemen for your kind words
Scott

jaymedic44

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO limited silver/ autumn

• CVO1: 2009 Cvo ultra
    • CVO2: 2006 cvo ultra
    • CVO3: 2014 CVO limited
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2013, 07:26:44 AM »

I traded my 09 cvo intra for a 14. NO REGRETS, i would do it again in a heartbeat!!!  14 is a much nicer bike.
2014 CVO limited silver/autumn
2009 Cvo ULTRA 21 inch Pm wheels legend air ride progressive monotubs Fulsac exhaust
2006 Cvo ULTRA Autum Haze
2005 Heritage Softail World of wheels show bike
2004 Ultra Gold/Black
2003 Road King  Black/Silver
1999 Ultra Blue/Silver
1998 Road king Red/ Gold
1996 springer Custom
1974 Sportster

mike85120

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited Burgandy Blaze
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Tribal Orange....Traded
    • CVO3: 2013 CVO Road King Burgandy Blaze....Sold
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2013, 11:57:57 PM »

Okay, I will first start out by stating that I am foolish/crazy.
On July 26th I bought a new 2013 CVO Ultra Classic...traded in a 2012 Ultra Limited with a little over 27,000 miles on it. Quite frankly I thought that I found heaven ;D. The most important option for me was those crazy power locks...  :huepfenjump3:. It was Tribal orange and I immediately put a thousand miles on it the first week then left on a four thousand mile trip to Sturgis and beyond. Really and truly I thought I was in love. While in the shop for the 5k service my wife called the dealership and told the salesman that I needed the Blaze red Road King CVO that they had on the floor. Through no fault of the bike or Harley I all but hated that bike....(I have been spoiled with the full fairing). I ended up selling that bike to a different dealer for a loss of about $750 plus tax.
The dealership knew that I was interested in a CVO Limited but also thought I was done buying for a while.....I went in to look at a Blaze Red CVO Limited that was sold only to find out that an hour before I got there the customer had cancelled their order......This was actually the hardest decision I have had regarding a bike in a very long time, but I ended up buying it.
I have had the bike for a week and two days and have only put 243 miles on it but it is by far the best machine I have ridden.
I did have buyers remorse for the first few days, but after a 100 mile ride I couldn't imagine going back.
To any one who is on the fence, if you have the money (or for those of you who do not mind financing) I cannot imagine anyone not being happy with the 2014. I do not profess to know what all the changes are nor do I really care, I care about riding pure and simple...and the 2014 excels in that area.
By the way I have the best wife ever...yes she does have a sister and no she is not at all like my wife.

anzac

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2013, 02:02:09 PM »

Mike85,

very well put

shovelhead FXEF

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2013, 09:03:36 PM »

traded my 09 CVO Ultra for a 2014 Burgandy blaze CVO Limited.  Got top trade in dollar for the 09 which I kept super clean.  In Ohio you only pay sales tax on the difference between trade and new bike cost. It was a no brainer, good by 09 and hello 2014. It rides far superior to the 09 CVO

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2013, 10:36:08 PM »

traded my 09 CVO Ultra for a 2014 Burgandy blaze CVO Limited.  Got top trade in dollar for the 09 which I kept super clean.  In Ohio you only pay sales tax on the difference between trade and new bike cost. It was a no brainer, good by 09 and hello 2014. It rides far superior to the 09 CVO
Same here in Iowa. Makes trading a bit more appealing.

RickDeVon

• Junior CVO Member
  • 15 Mysterious Red Tri Glide
    • GA

« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2013, 09:51:41 PM »

I would for the 2015 liquid cooled 1800cc X motor and the all new touring frame............
Fulsac headpipe w/11 CVO 2" cores...Slipstream collection...CVO seat...CW 2+2 bars w/chrome backlit controls and cables...Chrome front w/B&S cowbells...
Building a CVO Tri Glide...

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2013, 08:07:51 AM »

I just traded my 06 CUSE in for a 14 Ultra Limited, non CVO. Maybe I'm getting old, but most of the extras that come on the SE bikes just don't appeal to me as much as they used to. I still don't care for the regular Ultra, but the limited has that just right package for me. I don't think or feel that the CVO's hold thier value any better than the non CVO's. They just start at a higher cost. I had my 06 for almost 8 years and was able to get 50% of the original MSRP back in trade. Would have been about the same percentage if it had been a regular Ultra.
 I'm sure glad I traded it when I did as I got a call from my dealer that when they took my trade out for the pre-owned inspection the inner cam bearing exploded and trashed the motor. It had 38K miles and had given me no indications that anything was wrong. The wife and I had just returned from a 900 mile hill country ride the week before.  Maybe for once the Harley gods were in my favor.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2013, 01:49:31 PM »

I just traded my 06 CUSE in for a 14 Ultra Limited, non CVO. Maybe I'm getting old, but most of the extras that come on the SE bikes just don't appeal to me as much as they used to. I still don't care for the regular Ultra, but the limited has that just right package for me. I don't think or feel that the CVO's hold thier value any better than the non CVO's. They just start at a higher cost. I had my 06 for almost 8 years and was able to get 50% of the original MSRP back in trade. Would have been about the same percentage if it had been a regular Ultra.
 I'm sure glad I traded it when I did as I got a call from my dealer that when they took my trade out for the pre-owned inspection the inner cam bearing exploded and trashed the motor. It had 38K miles and had given me no indications that anything was wrong. The wife and I had just returned from a 900 mile hill country ride the week before.  Maybe for once the Harley gods were in my favor.

I did the same thing, traded my 07 CUSE in for a 14 Ultra Limited. I really like the CVO Limited, the extra 12 grand put it out of the budget. My dealer gave me what I considered a fair trade-in value, I was mainly interested in the price difference. I have installed approx. $3,000 in accessories to make it my own. Its habit forming.

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2013, 03:11:17 PM »

:worthless:

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2013, 03:22:57 PM »

you have sold me, its CVO it is

we want details, and pics :D

:worthless:
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 04:59:21 PM by GC_Super »

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2013, 07:27:33 PM »

Now thats a stand/up Bike... ;D

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2013, 07:59:45 PM »

Now thats a stand/up Bike... ;D

LOL  Not sure why it did that or how to fix it. I thought it was a cool pic though as my trade in is the bike in the background.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 21 queries.