Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: PC III USB EX or PC III USB?  (Read 1272 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
PC III USB EX or PC III USB?
« on: July 23, 2007, 12:39:43 PM »

After looking into the Power Commander system, they show two different units.

PC III USB EX is the "street" controller and does not control mapping less than 40% throttle and less than 4500 rpms.

The PC III USB listed as the race unit, seems to be able to control everything.

So for my new '08 SERK, which PC III would everyone recommend???

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: PC III USB EX or PC III USB?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 12:44:21 PM »

PC III USB EX is the "street" controller and does not control mapping less than 40% throttle and less than 4500 rpms.

Thanks.

They should have named that thing Power Commander Lite. Get the full blown PCIII USB, unless you live in CA, then the Lite is for you.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 01:34:43 PM »

Thanks.
Dan,

Pretend like the "EX" doesn't exist, since it is only there to appease the EPA folks.  If you want to richen up the low speed and cruise mixture, both for driveability and cooling, you want the so-called race unit and the O2 sensor eliminators.  

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 02:04:54 PM »

A third vote for the full blown PCIII USB unit. The other one is almost worthless as you spend most of your driving time below the 30% throttle position.

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 03:24:48 PM »

Just put the PCIII USB on my serk a couple of weeks ago. No problems at all and running great, if only the base map m812-025.

Another 500 miles and then a full dyno and Houston will have to do a countdown every time I go out !

:2vrolijk_21:

Nige
Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 04:57:21 PM »

A third vote for the full blown PCIII USB unit. The other one is almost worthless as you spend most of your driving time below the 30% throttle position.

Thanks to all for the replies.

After looking at the EX version and the lack of control in the <40% range and <4500 rpm's, I thought why even use it...

I've already ordered a V&H Dresser Dual header setup and their Oval slip-on's.  I've also gone the wider AC filter for the Sreaming Eagle AC.  So with those and the PCM III USB, I should be all set.  Oh yeah, O2 eliminators as well, don't they come with the PCM III USB kit?

I think all I'll need to do is download the software from their site and then the appropriate map for my setup, which I think was the second one down on the mapping list.

I plan on doing all this right at the get go on the new bike when it arrives.  With the new mapping and running a bit cooler, I imagine it should really help during breakin rather than hinder.

At the time of my 1000 mile check up I can have it dyno'd or just keep riding with the map for the setup, right?

Thanks again all for the information.

Dan
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 05:05:55 PM »

After looking at the EX version and the lack of control in the <40% range and <4500 rpm's, I thought why even use it...

I've already ordered a V&H Dresser Dual header setup and their Oval slip-on's.  I've also gone the wider AC filter for the Sreaming Eagle AC.  So with those and the PCM III USB, I should be all set.  Oh yeah, O2 eliminators as well, don't they come with the PCM III USB kit?

I think all I'll need to do is download the software from their site and then the appropriate map for my setup, which I think was the second one down on the mapping list.

I plan on doing all this right at the get go on the new bike when it arrives.  With the new mapping and running a bit cooler, I imagine it should really help during breakin rather than hinder.

At the time of my 1000 mile check up I can have it dyno'd or just keep riding with the map for the setup, right?

Dan

Dan, having it it setup properly, right from the beginning, can only help things. A drop in map is all you can do to break it in. But get it tuned and have a custom map made for your engine at the 1K Service. Tuning's the most important thing you can do to these engines! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

BalDeagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 05:08:23 PM »

Dan

Yes they do Dan.

and

Yes you can do either, but I think any of the good ole boys in here will recommend that you get your baby properly Dynoed at a thousand miles.

Nige

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander

BalDeagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 05:09:38 PM »

Dan, having it it setup properly, right from the beginning, can only help things. A drop in map is all you can do to break it in. But get it tuned and have a custom map made for your engine at the 1K Service. Tuning's the most important thing you can do to these engines! ;) Hoist! 8)

Goldarn it Howie - you are fast man !

:P

Nige

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 22 queries.