Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ride of the lowered front end??  (Read 1250 times)

jmorton10

• Full CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
ride of the lowered front end??
« on: March 07, 2005, 07:31:29 AM »

I have an 04 Roadking Custom which came stock from the factory with the 1" lowered HD air shocks(same as the CVO bikes), but a standard length RK front end.  The bike rode awfully rough when it was new, but I cured that problem by swapping out those awful shocks for 12" Progressive 440's.  The 12" are the same length as the lowered HD shocks but the ride improved 1000%.

Now, I want to lower the front end so it is the same length as the CVO bikes(1" lower than it is now).  I am concerned about ride quality however.  My bike rides very smooth the way it is now & I would hate to compromise that.  HD offers two lowering kits in the 05 accessory catalog.  One uses the cartridge setup like a stock Electraglide & the other is just shorter springs & dampeners which I believe is what the factory uses in the CVO bikes(I'm not 100% sure about this however)

I would like some input from you CVO guys about the ride quality of the shorter front forks.  I am not looking for generic"my bike rides great"comments.  I want an honest appraisal of the difference in ride quality between the stock cartridge forks(Electraglide)or stock length spring forks(stock Roadking)& the lowered forks from somebody who is experienced with both setups.

Some of you guys must have extensively ridden either a stock fork Electraglide or Roadking before going to the CVO bikes.  How does the ride compare??  I realize the shorter forks will have less travel & bottom easier, that much is obvious but it is the everyday ride I am worried about.  How well do the shorter forks handle things like small short bumps & pavement expansion joints??  The roads suck around here & I hit those kind of annoying bumps 1000 times a day.  If the shorter forks make those kind of bumps more jolting, I may just stick with the stock forks.

I am wondering also which of the lowering kits would provide the smoother ride, the cartridge or the spring setup for the type of bumps I describe??

~John

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member
  • Utah, 2008 Best Trip Ever!

• CVO1: 03 SERK Purdue Gold & Black
    • CVO2: 09 SERG Silver & Black
Re: ride of the lowered front end??
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 08:31:31 PM »

John:
  I can't answer your question about ride quality, but I replaced the stock springs in my 03 SERK with Progressive springs and if it'd help you I'd measure them and let you know what the stock spring length is.  Might even sell them fairly cheaply if you're interested in them.
  I put the Progressive's in at the end of the fall last year and haven't put more than 20-30 miles on it yet, but so far I like them better than stock-they don't "jar" me quite as much as stock.
Steve
Steve

jmorton10

• Full CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: ride of the lowered front end??
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 06:40:09 AM »

Thanks Steve, but I already have the HD lowered spring kit.  I installed it two days ago but it may be a while before I get to test it out.

Before I started, it was 55 degrees here(upstate NY)& I went out & rode it 20 miles.  By the time I finished the job it was pouring rain.  The next morning, it was 12 degrees & snowing....  Today, it is 10 degrees.

~John

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 25 queries.