Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just want to add slip-ons-question  (Read 2793 times)

ace07fxdl

• Full CVO Member
Just want to add slip-ons-question
« on: February 28, 2008, 08:40:40 AM »

I put 97 miles on my 08 SERK before I had to put it up for the season here in upstate NY. At this point all I would like to do to the bike is make it sound better, breathe better and run as cool as possible. Thats it for now. I have been looking at some RUSH or Rinehart slip-ons as the stock exhaust is just too quiet along with a HD Heavy breather AC. If I add only the slip-ons I know I'll still be running lean on the stock ECM. I don't want to put it on a Dyno either at this point with only 97 miles on the bike. How can I just get better sound and better fuel control without breaking the bank? I will be going to Myrtle Beach in May, should I wait and see if I can get some kind of deal there? I've got a pretty good dealer here locally with a good reputation on the Dyno but I don't want to put it on a dyno at least until I get 2,000 or so on it this summer. I sure can't take the stock exhaust that long though. Help!

2008 FLHRSE4 SERK
Twilight Blue & Candy Cobalt

"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Louis Pasteur

bigcog1

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '11 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: '02 FLSTSI
    • CVO3: '05 ROAD ROD
Re: Just want to add slip-ons-question
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 03:04:46 PM »

If you want your SERK to sound better, breathe better, and run as cool as possible, then I'd suggest you stick it out with the exhaust for 2000 miles and then make your mods and put her on the Dyno. Or, I'd make the mods and do the Dyno now. The fact of the matter is, you're not going to tweak your bike without the Dyno regardless of what the guys running drag pipes may tell you. Your SERK is one expensive piece of hardware and Harleys these days aren't quite like their ol' Panhead predecessors. (God I love those bikes!) You've probably got a little more hedge factor with the closed loop injection system, but less restrictive pipes and a higher volume airbox will only contribute to heat problems, not solve them, in the event you don't utilize some type of fuel mangement. Most of what I've seen so far of The Motor Company's stock answer to this is to dump fuel at idle as an answer to heat management, which probably isn't a real efficient fix.

With all the Brothers and Sisters on this site, I'm sure someone has made mods and Dyno'ed and can offer some input as to their experience. My bottom line advice is spend the money once, and spend it in the right place.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 04:15:02 PM »

Well if you want a cheep way to richen it up a bit you might want to look at these two web pages. The only problem I see is that I think it'll richen it up across the board, but better than being to lean. I think you can make these for under $30!

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hd2007HD_wbo2_upgrade.htm

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hd2007HD_nbo2_volt_divide.htm

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 04:49:54 PM »

Joe Minton's experience and advice are better than anyone I've ever read. Per his recommendation, go with SuperTrapp Slip-Ons. Here's the SuperTrapp Part # 128-78045. By the way, you'll need end caps too. Pick the one you like, the performance will be the same regardless of your end cap choice.

You will want to tune the EFI with a SERT or PowerCommander...

bigcog1

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 05:55:05 PM »

Joe Minton's experience and advice are better than anyone I've ever read. Per his recommendation, go with SuperTrapp Slip-Ons. Here's the SuperTrapp Part # 128-78045. By the way, you'll need end caps too. Pick the one you like, the performance will be the same regardless of your end cap choice.

You will want to tune the EFI with a SERT or PowerCommander...

Amen to that , Brother. Joe Minton is the quintessential GURU. That's a great suggestion. I'm running a SERT, and once again my bike has been Dyno tuned. I believe we have a section with downloadable maps so if anyone is running the same set-up...

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 07:18:50 PM »

The whole idea was that he didn't want an ECU upgrade, or dyno. I agree the best performance is going to come from an ECU upgrade and good tune, but he didn't want to go that way.

bigcog1

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 06:34:27 AM »

The whole idea was that he didn't want an ECU upgrade, or dyno. I agree the best performance is going to come from an ECU upgrade and good tune, but he didn't want to go that way.

I follow what you're saying there, Brother. Little bit 'o sound, little bit o' cash. I read the articles from those links you posted and they're great reading. Excellent info for anyone that uses the advanced tuning section of their SERT too.

ace07fxdl

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 10:27:20 PM »

I ended up buying one of the new SERT PRO's from Adventure HD in Ohio. They had the SERT & cable kit but not the training CD-its back ordered. Hopefully, I can find a canned map that I can use with this when it arrives Tuesday. Where is a good place to find SERT maps and are there alot of maps for bikes with non-HD exhaust or air cleaners? I assume you can change your map as many times as you want to another canned map or "tune" one in yourself? I run a Thundermax on my 07 low rider and the autotune seems to work OK but man does it suck the gas. Runs cool enough but I think its just throwing fuel at it. I want to go back to all HD on my SERK.  I'm for sure going for those Super Trapp slip ons. Thanks for all the helpful information!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 07:56:30 AM by ace07fxdl »

2008 FLHRSE4 SERK
Twilight Blue & Candy Cobalt

"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Louis Pasteur

bigcog1

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 08:37:36 AM »

Here's the thread with our member's posts of their maps, etc.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?board=28.0

You'll like the SERT. You can use canned maps, and you can also "can" some of your own.

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 22 queries.