Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Cybil III, Hoist's '07C FLHRSE3-Surrogate Update!  (Read 10071 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Cybil III, Hoist's '07C FLHRSE3-Surrogate Update!
« on: February 17, 2009, 11:28:50 PM »

Cybil really did come home today.  Howie's fingers had been growing back nicely.  But having the old girl home had him back up the speed of light again.  The trip home burned them right back to the nub.  So I'm still channeling the GPotH (Great Power of the Howie).  Here, however, is the biggest news since Mama Cass asked "are you gonna have that sandwich?"  Here we go:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

Re: Cybil III, Hoist's '07C FLHRSE3-Surrogate Update!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 11:29:50 PM »

As the Cybil II Thread is now 57 Pages long (it’s all here: http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=21375.msg342859#msg342859 ), and the Original Cybil thread is 49 Pages long (it’s all here: http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=16360.msg259862#msg259862 ), I thought I’d summarize this latest go round separately (HeHe!!! It’s all here now), since so many changes were made again this winter. So here we go again! I based this on the Cybil II thread, and modified it accordingly, to reflect all the most recent changes made to Cybil this winter. As you recall, I had a lifter failure enroute to MV ’08. So back in she went for this winter’s work, which included another new engine build. Gotta tell ya though, even though Feuling’s lifter failed and caused this rebuild, they stood behind their chit, and relatively fairly compensated me for the new engine. Not worth going into all the details, but fair to say I did not have to pay for this entire engine rebuild myself. Since the Cybil II thread is so long now, this one summarizes pretty much everything I've done to date on the bike since last fall, when I took her down again. I suggest that for those that have felt tortured reading the last thread, and the one before it, that they not bother reading this one at all. But for those that have been keeping an eye on it to get ideas on what to do themselves, this might help you guys in some small way. So here it goes. (Bold face indicates items added/changed for this Third Revision.)

As ya’ll know, my first and second attempts at building a bulletproof engine didn't work out so well. Sound design I think, but poor execution the first time, a parts failure the second. The assembly of the top end was never done correctly the first time. We already know the whys and wherefores. And we'll never know why it spit out the ACR. And who knows why the lifter failed the second time causing yet another rebuild, but that chit happens. But Cybil's like a Phoenix, rising from the ashes again, stronger than ever! The following is the Third Revision in my attempt to make this my Perfect SERK! Most of it is as it originally appeared in the ‘07A and B versions of the Cybil Threads, but completely updated here, to reflect the current ‘07C version she is today.

PART I

SERK3 - The Final Frontier! Mission accomplished! (Hopefully, again!) - The Second Sequel!

Introducing the ‘07C Screaming Eagle Road King Special Performance Hoist Edition - Model ‘07C FLHRSE3! Her name is Cybil III now! But I'll still just refer to her as Cybil!

Here it is the finished product. Again! HeHe!!! For now anyway! This I’m convinced, is still the fix for the 110 engine blues, just refined by Vern for it to be as strong as I’d hoped for in the last build, Other areas were also improved, both previously and this time too. The bike was taken down to the frame, and EVERYTHING removed and reassembled by hand by Vern. After seeing all the BS problems these ‘07's SE’s were having early on, and figuring out everything mine needed to be perfect for me, I've transformed it into my idea of the perfect Performance, Multi-Personality, Hot Rod Touring Road King! It doesn't have much bling or appearance stuff added. Some, but it's more of a high-class sleeper look! Everything was primarily improved for performance, longevity, comfort, reliability, and touring capability in all areas. Engine, Clutch, Suspension, Brakes, and Touring changes/additions! It has two different looks to it also! The Stock Leather Bag Bar Hopper look, or the Hot Rod Touring Bike look w/Custom Hard Saddlebags, and matching Custom King TourPak w/Amp and Speakers! (I rarely ever strip it down to stock sleeper look. With 4 other street bikes, there’s really not much need to! And no, I still ain’t getting a FD because of that!!!

The performance changes are as follows:

1. Engine: Custom Vern-built complete SE TC 110”. New HD 110 cases (with my Serial Number) with Timken Bearing Conversion and Feuling #3030 case bolts, S&S 4-3/8” Forged Crank, crank runout on pinion side is 0.0000” and 0’0005” on comp side. Thermal Coated CP Forged Pistons and New Rings; Axtell 4” Cylinders; Modified SE 110 Heads modeled on a computer and flow bench by Wes Brown of Cycle-rama, Ported, Decked 0.040”, and Reworked Combustion Chambers welded holes for ACR's and added Manual Compression Releases (reworked, new springs, and setup by Vern correctly for this build), Feuling #3048 exhaust studs & lock nuts, w/Cometic 0.030 Metal Head Gaskets for a 9.8:1 static compression ratio; Thermal Coating of Exhaust Ports and Valves; TP Engineering ProVent Forged Rocker Box Covers w/Integral Rocker Arm Supports and TP Roller Rockers and Shafts[/b]; 62 mm HPI Throttle Body w/4.89 Injectors and Ported Manifold w/HPI High Flow A/C Assembly and Stock SERK 110 Cover. Engine has S&S 585G Gear-Drive Cams  w/S&S Gears; S&S Reed Valve Oil Breather; S&S Lifters w/Hydraulic Limiters; Screamin Eagle Camplate; Stock ‘07 Oil Pump; S&S Adjustable Pushrods w/S&S PR Covers; Feuling #3000 High Tensile Shouldered Cylinder Studs and Head bolts; Feuling/ARP complete engine SS 12 Point Hardware; Baker Plus 1 Oil Pan; New SE Compensating Sprocket; D&D FatCats w/Quiet Big Bore Muffler (which is not very quiet!); Chrome Inner Primary; HD Chrome 1.4 KW Starter; Custom Polished SS SE Shifter Linkage; and Clutch has AIM VPC-92T Variable Pressure Clutch Lock-up Plate.

New Tune and New Performance Review to follow!

2LR aka Hoist! 8)

« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 01:02:10 AM by Twolanerider »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 11:31:14 PM »

PART II

2. Fluids: I use RevTech or HD 20-50 Air-Cooled V-Twin Motorcycle Dino Oil, Redline Shockproof Heavy in the Transmission, and Redline MTF in the Primary.

3. Transmission: The Transmission is a bone-stock HD 6-Speed. It works fine and has given me no problems so far. And I got the 5th Gear whine to go away too! All I did was use the D&D FatCat w/the Quiet Big Bore Muffler! (Like I said, nowhere near quiet!) Whine, what whine? But I gotta say, the bike is WAY quieter and less obnoxious than the previous build. I might even get to hear the stereo now!

4. Suspension/Handling: Changed Suspension height back up to Standard Road King Height for better handling and clearance. Modified Front Fork with Traxxion AK-20 Cartridge Fork Conversion-1” taller than stock SERK3 (which just had its first 25K service done to them by Traxxion); New Neck Bearings; New TrueTrack TruPivot Bronze Swingarm bearings with Stainless Steel Pivot Shaft; Adjure Flush Front Axle and BAH Stealth Fork Cap; Standard Height 330 mm bitubo Rear Dual Sport Shocks-also 1” taller than stock SERK3; True-Track 3rd Link Stabilizer (No TT Trans Pan Cage required with Baker Plus 1 Pan); True-Track Front Performance Motor Mount; and Velva Ride Vibration Control Polished SS Engine Stabilizer Links. It rides on stock Chrome Roadwinder Wheels with Dunlop D-407 170/60R17 Wide Rear and 130/70R18 Front E3 Radials, which I really love, but wear quickly and could be subject to change! Might have to start looking at “V” or “Z” rated tires now! I wanted to stiffen everything up, from the suspension to the mounts, for improved performance without degradation of ride quality, and actually improve that too. The power and the setup make it feel so light and nimble too. You can really throw it around! This thing rides like its on rails, handles like a much sportier bike than it is, never wobbles or shakes, and you feel like you’re riding on a rolling Barcolounger out on an open road! With the stiffening of the Swingarm now, the bike feels even more stable. No vibration whatsoever, but feels like a solid mount setup. I think I found THE BEST of both worlds!

5. Brakes: Front: Dual PM Chrome 6-Piston Differential-Bore Calipers, stock HD Chrome Master Cylinder and stock SERK3 V-Rod Style 11.5” Floating Rotors. Rear: PM Chrome 4-Piston Differential-Bore Caliper and Bracket, PM Braided SS Brake Line, HD Chrome Roadwinder 11.5” Floating Rotor, and HD Chrome Rear Master Cylinder. Still running original PM Pads. I will be switching to LRB Z-Pads. We had a hell of a time bleeding them. But this thing stops on a dime now. Brake feel is excellent and gives you the confidence to brake later into the turns! Lyndall Racing Brakes just came out with both Ceramic and Stainless Steel Rotors for this carriage less V-Rod style rotor, and I’ll be replacing the fronts with one of those LRB rotor types soon too.

6. Comfort/Styling: Wild Ones Chubbys WO502 12.5” Apes with a new specially made extended Goodridge Braided SS Clutch Line, new Magnum “Sterling” 3” over Braided SS Throttle Cables, HD 3-Piece Braided SS Front Brake Line, Solid 1-piece Handlebar Riser Clamp and Ness Urethane Riser Bushings. My choice of stock SERK3 Seat and Passenger Backrest, or Corbin SERK3 Dual Touring Flame-Stitched Leather Seat w/Heat and matching Passenger Backrest. Wing-swept matching Ironside Passenger Floor Boards; HD Chrome Saddlebag Guards; Kuryakin Rider Floor Board Extensions; Ironside Engine Guard Highway Pegs w/HD Adjustable Billet Mount; Xetronix HID Headlamps, HD FLHX Aux. Lights w/PIAA Xtreme White Bulbs and Turn Signal Relocation; Formotion Polished SS Black-Face Fork Lock Cover with Lighted Clock; HD Black-Face Combo Speedo/Tach w/Color-Matched Lighting (set for Blue of course); HD Blue LED Flush Mounted Fuel Gauge; HD Micro Gauges on the risers for Oil Pressure and Voltmeter (which might get replaced with Oil Temp Micro Gauge if the dipstick ever fails); HD Chrome Front Fork Air Baffle; and Chromedome Sculpted Polished Aluminum Eagle Head Horn Cover. What can I say? It’s the best running/riding RK I’ve ever been on! It’s got everything I need on it, and nothing I don’t. It rides like a dream and is comfortable as hell. Short runs solo, as a Bar Hopper or Daytripper. Or long, 2-up excursions. This thing is setup for anything and is real comfortable doing it!

7. Stock Sleeper Bar Hopper

Stock Flamed Leather Saddlebags and Seat w/Small Passenger Backrest, Stock Smoked Wind Screen. Stripped down stock sleeper look! Until you hear it growl and the front wheel comes up, that is! (Not really used in this mode, but can be at a moment’s notice!)

2LR aka Hoist! 8)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 11:32:28 PM »

Part III

8. Hot Rod Touring Bike (2 Versions):

A: Custom Matching HD Hard Saddlebags w/Matching HD Saddlebag Lid Spoilers and Battistini Latches; Full-Size 5-hole HD Road King Windshield Assembly w/18” Clearview Euro-Lip Windshield, HD Skull Chrome Windshield Strip and HD RK Custom Leather Windshield Pouch; Corbin SERK3 Flame-stitched Heated Dual Touring Saddle Seat and matching Passenger Backrest, new HD Saddlebag Guard Bags; HD Detachable 2-up Luggage Rack; and Large HD SAC Sissy Bar Pack for Luggage Rack w/ matching HD SAC Small Duffle Bag. The traditional Road King Touring look with Hot Rod style, that can cruise at 80-90 all day long without breaking a sweat, and roll on up to 130, 2-up, and loaded with luggage!

B: Instead of using the detachable luggage rack, which I really don’t anymore, because I’ve added the option of a Detachable Custom Matched HD King TourPak! TP was customized and paint was matched, as were the hard saddlebags, by Paint by Gene in WA. I’ve added the matching Corbin Flame-stitched KTP Passenger Backrest, key matched lock, Detachable TP Rack, TP Spoiler, Contoured TP Luggage Rack, TP Liner Bag, TP Interior light kit, TP & Saddlebag Organizer Kit, and all required mounting hardware. Complete 4-channel sound/navigation system. It includes the Garmin Zumo 550 with XM/Traffic & Weather with Techmount 1-1/4” Handlebar mount. Connected to the Zumo are: Rear - Hawg Wired 150 Watt Amp mounted in TP connected to (2) Polk Audio MMK6500 6.5” Marine Speakers mounted in Dragonfly 6.5” KTP Speaker Pods; Front – Cycle Sounds 100W Chrome Amp mounted on the downtubes connected to (2) 2” Bullet Turn Signal Housing speakers mounted on the handlebars (might be switching these to their new 2-1/2” high efficiency speakers in bullet housings shortly).

Thanks for those interested enough to read it. I hope everyone can get something out of it, and make their lives just a little bit easier when thinking about making mods to their SERKs!

2LR aka Hoist! 8)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 11:34:43 PM »

And this, of course, as already unveiled, was the picture of the new Cybil III :2vrolijk_21: !

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 11:37:51 PM »

yeah, but will she hit a lick??

:orange:

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 11:40:48 PM »

yeah, but will she hit a lick??

:orange:

TN

In channeling the Great Spirit of the Howie I got the sense he had a full on robot chubby because of how well the bike was running.  I'd take that as a positive sign :2vrolijk_21: .

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 02:51:08 AM »

Isn't that technically a fairing below the headlight?

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 06:12:41 AM »

Hi Don,

It must be damn winter where you live. Too much time indoors contaminates ...   aaaahh  fugged it.

Had fun reading ...

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 08:01:29 AM »

Ladies and Gentleman,

This is why Harley survives.  Take a moderately passable motorcycle and a slightly evil mad motorcycle scientist, some parts manufacturers with a desire to make something cool.  Add cold weather to eliminate the need to rush the mix.  Sprinkle liberally with love and care and you have what no other motorcycle company in the world can deliver.

Your perfect motorcycle.

Congrats Howie!  Now put a f-ing fairing on it!   :bananarock:  ;D  :D  ;D  :D  ;D  :D  ;)

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 08:22:18 AM »

Don, I have a book report due this week can you type it up for me?  :P ;D

Craig

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 09:58:04 AM »

Hi Don,

It must be damn winter where you live. Too much time indoors contaminates ...   aaaahh  fugged it.

Had fun reading ...

Ride safely,
Louis

Don't worry Louis.  Even with his burned off fingers I made Howie type that up.  I'm evil that way.  But damn his nose his sore.

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 10:00:07 AM »

And this, of course, as already unveiled, was the picture of the new Cybil III :2vrolijk_21: !

Wow, a heated seat and heated grips.  Howie thinks of everything.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 10:00:56 AM »

Wow, a heated seat and heated grips.  Howie thinks of everything.

That's a HID headlight on the front of that bitch too :bananarock: .

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 10:03:45 AM »

Knew he was a FD guy hiding in the closet!  Isn't that a center stand I see holding that FD up?  Doesn't that interfere with the Tru-Trak?

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

P.S. God he's gonna yell at me.

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 24 queries.