Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 07 SERK - FAILED REAR WHEEL BEARING  (Read 749 times)

BUPKISS100

07 SERK - FAILED REAR WHEEL BEARING
« on: September 08, 2009, 07:48:00 AM »

Well, I've had a very expensive day

Have done 15k on my rear tyre and if wasn't for a friend pointing out the baldness of it, I probably would have got a few more

Anyway, off I goes to Buckley tyres to have a lovely Avon Storm ST fitted. Unfortunately, when they came to the wheel balancing, they came to the conclusion that the wheel bearings were shagged. Bless em, they tracked me down some new ones, and a very kind friend on Kawasaki 600 rice burner whizzed me across (screaming like a big jessie) over to Chester Harley to pick them up (£65 i could have done without!)

Some more screaming later and i arrived back at the tyre place with the old bearings on display and a possibly explanation of why they have disintergrated after only 5k miles. It would seem that the spacer that sits in the wheel between the two bearings was loose. New bearings were fully seated in as far as they would go but it was still loose. This being the case, they're telling me that by doing up the axle to its proper settings is putting a horizontal sheer on the bearings because the inner races have a few mm gap before they sit against something.

Have any of you heard about this kind of thing? Does the explanation make sense?

Rang the dealer who fitted the wheels back in May. Their mechanics are saying that the gap is normal!!!  Have spoken to various peeps, some helpful, some not, but the general feeling is that the spacer should be a better fit!

They've said that they will gladly order a new fitting kit, with new spacer. But if it turns out to be exactly the same as the one in the wheel, then it will become chargeable. They also stated that it would be impossible to fit the wrong spacer, as the SERK has a unique one???  Feel like i'm getting the runaround!

Can someone tell me the correct dimensions of the inner spacer in case i need to get one made? Are all Road King spacers the same or is the SERK one a unique size?

Any help (as usual) much appreciated

Thanks all

Ruth x

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 21 queries.