Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: '07 SERK Heated grips?  (Read 1469 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
'07 SERK Heated grips?
« on: November 14, 2006, 11:56:53 AM »

Does anyone know why the HD accy's catalog shows that any of the heated grips they offer will not work on an '07 SERK? The bike come with 1-1/4" bars with internal wiring. Why would that prevent you from installing heated grips? Thanks. Hoist!
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: '07 SERK Heated grips?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 12:47:30 PM »

Just a guess but it's likely because all the heated grips specifications say not to wire them internally.  That Harley does this themselves on the SEUC is, well.....   irony.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 12:49:57 PM »

Does anyone know why the HD accy's catalog shows that any of the heated grips they offer will not work on an '07 SERK? The bike come with 1-1/4" bars with internal wiring. Why would that prevent you from installing heated grips? Thanks. Hoist!
Hoist, can I just tell you that my experience with heated grips has been disapointing (being polite here.)  I am waiting to get my fifth set installed.  This is only two years.  Not happy about HD's heated grips.  I have heard from others on this site that there are other manufacturers who make these and that they work.  Good Luck in your pursuit of warm fingers.   ;)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 12:55:31 PM »

Hoist, can I just tell you that my experience with heated grips has been disapointing (being polite here.)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 01:11:56 PM »

2Lane, do you have any info on the internally wired CUSE grips for HD or other mfr's? I'd hate to externally wire grips when the all the controls are internal on the SERK. Suggestions, links...? Thanks for your help and please, try to play nice in the sandbox! Hoist!

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 01:22:52 PM »

2Lane, do you have any info on the internally wired CUSE grips for HD or other mfr's? I'd hate to externally wire grips when the all the controls are internal on the SERK. Suggestions, links...? Thanks for your help and please, try to play nice in the sandbox! Hoist!

Up in the Ultra section it's been written previously that the grips used are the same as the off the shelf "do not wire internally" models.  But for this particular installation they just choose to do it anyway.

I'll have to find the link later but I'll send you a link to an aftermarket set of heated grips that two buddies have used for a long time.  They can be wired internally and the reputation for the parts is that they are all but bulletproof.  The downside though; they are ugly as sin.  So that's a consideration.  

Given the now long lived terrible reputation for the HD heated grips I personally just wouldn't mess with them.  Heated gloves do the same job for me.  And if one of them ever fails I don't have to tear the bike apart.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 01:33:39 PM »

Up in the Ultra section it's been written previously that the grips used are the same as the off the shelf "do not wire internally" models.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 01:41:25 PM »

You make a good point. If the grips don't work or match the bike (ironside collection), why bother. I've gone all these years without them. Suggestions/links for heated Black Leather Gloves, waterproof of course, that just look like regular winter riding gloves? Do they come in rechargeable battery type so I don't have to plug myself into the bike?

Thanks, Hoist!

For heated gear check out Gerbing.  The G3 gloves are comfortable, flexible and do a great jog.  Good in the rain too.

http://www.gerbing.com/heat/glovesg3.html

Gerbing offers waist worn battery packs for their line of gear.  But while the RK doesn't have a lighter plug you've got easy and convenient options for power.  The same plugs that attaches to your batter tender could power your gloves, for example.  Of you could get something from Powerlet for a more fixed mount that could still do both the gloves and the battery tender.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 01:49:51 PM »

Thanks for the info 2Lane. I'll check them out Hoist!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 02:19:20 PM »

Thanks for the info 2Lane. I'll check them out Hoist!

No problem.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 02:19:53 PM by twolanerider »

TaxmanHog

• FLHRSEI.ORG
    • Old Web Site
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 08:53:29 PM »

I was wondering why, after five days & 345 miles my grips are no longer working, thought maybe I blew a fuse!

Reading all the posts on this sudject, I find they are not so reliable!

I will be checking for a fuse tommorow, what usually makes these things fail?
2007 FLHTCHSE-2
2006 VRXSE Actively Drag Racing 2011 to Present.

TaxmanHog

• FLHRSEI.ORG
    • Old Web Site
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 10:44:14 PM »

Could not wait until tommorow!
Checked the fuse, the 5 amp is OK.

Tried the ACCESS position, no go.

I did not expect it would, since it was working while in the run position, yesterday & this morning at the start of my ongoing break-in rides.

Either loose wiring up under the switch panel, or the grips have STB! >:(

I plan on bringing the bike in for it's 1000 mile oil change & service, what are the chances they would have the grips on hand?
Are these off the shelf items?
New Hampshire area dealer would probably sell plenty of these!
How many minutes or hours is involved in swapping the grips with a new heated set?
2007 FLHTCHSE-2
2006 VRXSE Actively Drag Racing 2011 to Present.

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 24 queries.