CVO Technical > Wheels/Tires/Suspension/Brakes

Metzeler 888 Pressures

<< < (6/6)

ric.sut32@gmail.com:
Any time! WE are Enthusiastic Drivers that Design at Michelin. We started with 2 wheel design in Clermont-Ferrand.

Ironhorse:

--- Quote from: ric.sut32@gmail.com on January 02, 2024, 08:51:11 PM ---Why waste your money. Do you have a balance issue?
--- End quote ---

Excellent question Ric, and spot on. 

So when dealing with some of the CVO and custom builder groups, it's more of an appearance issue than anything else.  After spending as much money as we do on our bikes, the appearance of a string of wheel weights on a chrome limited edition rim can be unsightly and detract from its overall appearance. This is where things like Dyna Beads and Centramatic Balancers come in.  They provide the needed balancing without the weights. The other thing some of us have experienced is damage to our paint and metal work when weights have come unstuck and flung up and hit the fenders while in motion. 

The last part is closer to your realm.  One of the prevailing "theories" is that as tires wear, they become "slightly unbalanced" due to the wear pattern.  A tire that was balanced when new with stick on weights, may experience an ever so slight change in balance.  With things like Dyna Beads and Centramatics, the balance continually "adjusts" to compensate for the change due to tire wear.  This in turn "lengthens" tire life.

Mark

Ironhorse:

--- Quote from: Twolanerider on January 02, 2024, 09:08:57 PM ---Had not seen that before Mark.  That is an EXPENSIVE wheel weight...
--- End quote ---

Yes it is.  Like MANY things we do for our bikes it's a "Buy once, Cry once" application.  Now the GoldWing crowd swears it lengthens the life of the tire adding thousands of miles more.  I can't speak to that as I installed mine with fresh tires last year. But I'll see how long I go before needing tires. And now that I have them it's one less thing to worry about.

Mark

Twolanerider:

--- Quote from: Ironhorse on January 03, 2024, 02:10:51 PM ---Yes it is.  Like MANY things we do for our bikes it's a "Buy once, Cry once" application.  Now the GoldWing crowd swears it lengthens the life of the tire adding thousands of miles more.  I can't speak to that as I installed mine with fresh tires last year. But I'll see how long I go before needing tires. And now that I have them it's one less thing to worry about.

Mark

--- End quote ---

Boys and their toys Mark.  Women and motorcycles and cars are expensive....    :drink:

ric.sut32@gmail.com:
Mark,
    I understand the look factor and I like a "Clean" looking machine. I am a "Form Follows Function" designer and I like the challenge. So is it show or go? It's hard to have it all. I do not like
balance weights but that is sometime I accept as you don't see it when your moving and moving is my higher priority. There is no right or wrong.
    As for wear and balance, I have rarely seen any variations after the initial "Set" and even then mainly on cars and trucks. Our number one vibration complaint is from improper mounting and not having the correct bead seating. Most premium tires have high bead seat forces. This will contribute to not getting that seating on the first attempt.
    We inspect all the returns we receive so I get to "see it all". Impact is the number one damage issue after under inflation and misalignment. The pot hole and curb hits can tear or break a fabric or steel cord you cannot see. The tire may no longer be as round as a result. Now a new V-1 (Vertical once per rev) harmonic is induced and that contributes to imbalance and bounce. I cringe when this happens and do an immediate inspection, hoping the rim survived at least! We simulate this in testing and the forces from these impacts are very high. If you ever have a shake, you must address it. We ride in a hostile environment so be careful and be smart! I have always run performance tires and performance suspensions which is the ideal situation of course. My bikes are maintained by me. I was a racer and engine builder prior to moving into tire design. I have taken tires off all my brand new bikes at less than 500 miles because the model of tire was not suited to my style of driving. Life is too short not to have the best ride everytime you go out! FYI we still pay for our tires.   Ric         

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version