CVO Technical > Wheels/Tires/Suspension/Brakes

Balancing Beads

(1/3) > >>

D-N-D:
So I just pick up some Chrome Rims (with out tires rims only) and they came with balancing beads.    ( Recommend to use by the company I purchased the rims from but not a must use ) So I have never used them before what is the PROS and CONS of the beads vs the stick on weights ???.
Stop by my local HD dealer and ask them for pricing to mount and balance the new tires and rims, ask if they would do it with the beads service manager said we don't do beads to many problems with them we had customer come back and say the wheels are out of balance ?? are they right or wrong ?? Has anyone used them ? let me know the good or bad side with them. I want to use them I like the concept and no weights showing on the rims nice clean look.

tazmun:
I don't know if you ever heard of Centramatic wheel balancers,  but I have them on my 04 Gold Wing.
They have doubled my tire life,  I now have over 70k miles 4 sets of tires, this after 2 sets in 14k miles.
I was going to put them on my 06 CVO Ultra, but at the time they didn't make the CVO Harley version.
The tires were always in balance.  They also make them for a multitude of other types of vehicles.

Twolanerider:
I've used beads to balance tires many times.  Not every time; it's not a religious thing.  But often.  Mount and dismount my own so using them makes doing the job at home easy.  Again, no religious outpouring of sanctimony for or against.  The beads have always done fine and I've never had any problem though.  Wouldn't hesitate to use again but a good mechanical balance is also fine.  Only suggestion would be let the guy that next dismounts your tires know they're in there.  It can be a surprising mess when dismounting otherwise.

Oh yeah, also, if you're installing yourself and your kit has some asinine instructions about trying to pour in through the valve stem itself don't even try. Get a hammer and beat your thumb with it as that will be more a pleasurable exercise.  Just pour them in the sidewall before inflating and seating the bead. 

Oh yeah also, also; all of my bikes are too old to know how to spell TPMS.  So for newer stuff and any contraindication for use with internal sensors; I have no clue.

Oh yeah, and, also; also.... also.  Never mind.  I got nothing else.

OBB:
I've used them before in both over sized truck tires and on a bike. No issues whatsoever. Like Don said, let the next guy doing your tire work know they're in there as it can be a real disaster if they're not careful when dismounting a tire with them.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Bungy:
My indy uses them exclusively, too cheap to buy a tire balance machine! I noticed the ride is a little squirrelly for a few miles after.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version