Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: chrome pitting on Break Out wheels?  (Read 2057 times)

CVO AV8R

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Break out
chrome pitting on Break Out wheels?
« on: July 31, 2014, 06:49:49 PM »

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to get the pitting out of my wheels? its just on the chrome part. I have tried the HD spray cleaner and polish and had no success. This is what they looked like after whipping them down. Sorry for the bad picture.

Thanks for your help in advance

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
Re: chrome pitting on Break Out wheels?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 07:38:47 PM »

:-\
Harley does offer a product known as Corrosion Inhibitor or some similar name.  It may be too late to wipe out whatever pitting you already have......could not tell from your pictures.

Also,  without looking at a map,  I'm not sure how far you live from the coast line.  Having lived 20 years in Raleigh, N.C., which is about 200 miles from the coast......and now Sunset Beach where I'm only about 2 miles from the beach,  I can tell ya (even if your bike is in a heated/cooled garage.........like mine),  you have to pay extra attention to keeping all chrome clean and polished to ward off pitting and corrosion.  My prior '09 SE Ultra was showing some signs of chrome pitting and it's always garaged.

Plus,  the "quality" of the chroming on Harleys these last few years is NOT AT ALL as good as it was back in the '90s in my opinion :coolblue:

mark

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 08:51:46 PM »

Make sure there are no corrosives stored in the garage (or wherever you keep the bike).  Corrosives would be most chemicals that end in "ine."  Fertilizers and pool chemicals are also bad mojo.

The most aggressive chrome cleaner I've found is Turtle wax chrome cleaner.  If that will not remove the surface issues, then you're probably not going to change it.

As previously posted, HD's chrome quality has issues too.

CVO AV8R

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 10:48:35 PM »

Mark: I do not have any corrosives in the garage. the bike is the only thing in the garage. At least from a couple feet away you cant see it. I guess I can just try and prevent it from getting worst.

Moscooter: I am currently in living in Daytona Beach for work so you are correct. I always wipe the bike down after every single ride so I am surprised I got the pitting. The best I can do it prevent it from getting worst and consider them beauty marks   :-\

CVO AV8R

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 09:01:12 PM »

Update: I bought the turtle wax chrome polish like you said and it works perfect!  thanks for your help

mark

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 04:51:43 PM »

Did the Turtle Wax chrome cleaner remove the blemishes?

CVO AV8R

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 05:11:47 PM »

Mark: Yes it did. it looks brand new now. Thanks for your help!

mark

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 05:42:48 PM »

Just speculating here - I live not too far from you. When I ride from Jax to Daytona along the beach on A1A, I get a film that sticks to the chrome nearest the road.  I never see it on the chrome elsewhere.  When I wash the bike, it usually doesn't wash off and I end up having to use a chrome cleaner.  I'm pretty sure it's sea salt, just not sure why it only gets on the lower chrome, unless it gets on the road and the tires kick it up.  A less messy way to get it off is Nevr-Dull.

CVO AV8R

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 12:00:54 PM »

I have the same film on my bike as well when I go on A1A. I never really knew what it was but I also only get the film on the lower part of the bike nothing above the foot pegs.

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 25 queries.