Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: '14 Limited leaking coolant again  (Read 8897 times)

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO Maroon / Burgundy
    • CVO2: 2013 Road Glide orange / grey
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra with sidecar silver/black
'14 Limited leaking coolant again
« on: May 02, 2015, 12:27:04 PM »

Fixed the coolant leak last year, everything good. Put it on the stand for the winter and noticed a small drop after the last ride. Took in for service they said there was no coolant in the bike. I have only opened the lower once when I purchased the bike and has been in for a couple of services already. So they said it was all fixed up again after the last service and after a couple rides a small spot again under the bike. Ready to trade for something else!!!

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
Re: '14 Limited leaking coolant again
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 10:27:51 AM »

Sorry to hear that. I have not seen any fluid leaks under my '14 but I have not checked the coolant levee, ever! 11K on the bike and no issues except the flashes to the infotainment module. I'd ask the dealer to fix it completely this time.

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 11:36:12 AM »

Tell them to replace the complete cooling system since they can not find the problem after 2 try's.
DND

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 11:43:23 AM »

I wonder if the average Harley dealership has ever heard of pressure testing a cooling system?  It would definitely be one of the tests I'd perform when looking for a leak.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 12:59:46 PM »

Sorry to hear this.  I never had the leak but I do check the fluid a few times a year. I thought the bike would give a warning if the fluid was very low. Interesting you never received any warning.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 01:24:17 PM »

Sorry to hear this.  I never had the leak but I do check the fluid a few times a year. I thought the bike would give a warning if the fluid was very low. Interesting you never received any warning.

Never assume that Harley has your back, you could find out the hard way they really don't. 

I'm not familiar with all the details of the system, but I don't remember seeing anything about a coolant level sensor.  And once the coolant is lost, you won't get a meaningful temperature reading from the coolant temperature sensor either.  You have to have the sensor immersed in coolant for it to work properly.  The same thing is true of the temperature gauge in cars and trucks.

I think it would be a very good idea to make a quick check of the coolant level part of a pre-ride inspection, along with things like checking tires and all lights.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 03:52:32 PM »

Oddly enough they said you could run it without coolant and would still be ok............... interesting.

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 03:56:16 PM »

Good to know.
Will

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 04:08:02 PM »

Oddly enough they said you could run it without coolant and would still be ok............... interesting.

By "they", I assume you mean the dealership folks.  I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but I don't believe I'd accept such a statement from the folks usually found at the average Harley dealership.  The heads will run hotter of course, and thus the oil will run hotter.  But in theory it would be just like the air cooled bikes, right?  Not necessarily.  I'd like to know about running the coolant pump with no fluid in it, for instance. 

Anyway, when they got done BS'ing about it being OK to run it without fluid, what did they say about not fixing it in their previous attempts?  I suppose that's OK as well?

Jerry

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 04:49:54 PM »

By "they", I assume you mean the dealership folks.  I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but I don't believe I'd accept such a statement from the folks usually found at the average Harley dealership.  The heads will run hotter of course, and thus the oil will run hotter.  But in theory it would be just like the air cooled bikes, right?  Not necessarily.  I'd like to know about running the coolant pump with no fluid in it, for instance. 

Anyway, when they got done BS'ing about it being OK to run it without fluid, what did they say about not fixing it in their previous attempts?  I suppose that's OK as well?

Jerry

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

And, the water cooled heads are obviously different than the non water cooled heads (i.e. the coolant passages thru the cylinder head around the exhaust valve), and the water cooled head gaskets are different than the non water cooled head gaskets...  Just because some shmuck at a dealership said it's ok to run a water cooled bike without water, it doesn't make it true.  Maybe whoever made the statement (or the dealership) would like to put some funds in escrow to replace the damaged motor in case he is wrong?  I doubt he'd be interested in doing so.  Cause I am guessing if the MOCO knew someone knowingly ran a water cooled motor without coolant, and some aspect of the motor or cooling system failed because of it, a warranty repair would be challenged by them...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 05:05:35 PM »

Good question for next time someone speaks to a Harley rep.
Will

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 08:55:18 AM »

Interesting that there isn't any kind of error code if the coolant is low. I thought I saw something about that but I am sure my old mind was playing tricks. I may try to find time to look tonight.  I do think the coolant should be checked but under normal conditions (no leaks) I would think twice a year is plenty. I do a pretty good inspection at least once a month and major inspection every year. I rider her almost every day including in the winter unless it is raining so I like to make sure she is safe and reliable. I can't have anything that is not reliable.

Rutland

• IA

• CVO1: 15 FLHTKSE Limited
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 11:16:38 AM »

Took my 015 in for the 1K service Saturday supposed to be ready today Monday by p.m. Just started leaking coolant on the right-side lower on my last 200 mi ride. Bike has 1200 miles on it. Also told them about the speed volume not working.
They told me it did have a recall for the saddle bag pins, which I'd already switched out to knobs.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 04:09:12 PM »

There is a setting that allows you to turn on or off the speed volume auto adjustment. The saddlebag recall is just the spring clip change.  The coolant leakage sounds like the problems the 2014's had. There was a recall for that. Maybe they could look at that and makes sure you don't need that recall.

tdkkart

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 06:24:27 PM »

There is a setting that allows you to turn on or off the speed volume auto adjustment.

Yep, sure is, but it doesn't work. I have the latest 1.19.1 SW update in mine, set at 4 bars it MIGHT, MAYBE get quieter once I come to a full stop. Set at anything less than 4 bars there's no discernible difference in the volume level.

So far, my '15 hasn't leaked any water, or burnt any oil for that matter.......
2015 CVO Road Glide

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 08:04:43 AM »

Mien has not leaked any water either or burned any oil! :)   You can really tell the difference in volume when you slow down so it does sound like that feature may not be working. I do know if there a lot of other noise the volume may not drop but I am sure you took that in account.  Sorry to hear you have any issues with your ride. 

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 01:42:27 PM »

Quick update - after taking back to dealer. They found there was an air lock in the system. So simple but so frustrating. Hopefully its the truth!!

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2015, 03:52:04 PM »

I hope this has it fixed for you!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2015, 08:19:23 PM »

Quick update - after taking back to dealer. They found there was an air lock in the system. So simple but so frustrating. Hopefully its the truth!!

This is the same place that said running it without coolant was OK, right?  So while I hope everything is OK now, don't be too surprised if it isn't.  If there was an air bubble in the system, it was there because they didn't purge any trapped air when they last "worked" on the cooling system.  It's a very simple process.

If you have another dealership within a reasonable distance, you might want to consider trying that service department.

Jerry

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2015, 11:36:57 AM »

They also have problems with Bad or Faulty Radiator Caps a 1 week old bike had a bad cap ???
DND

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2015, 02:07:40 PM »

Interesting that there isn't any kind of error code if the coolant is low. I thought I saw something about that but I am sure my old mind was playing tricks. I may try to find time to look tonight.  I do think the coolant should be checked but under normal conditions (no leaks) I would think twice a year is plenty. I do a pretty good inspection at least once a month and major inspection every year. I rider her almost every day including in the winter unless it is raining so I like to make sure she is safe and reliable. I can't have anything that is not reliable.
I'm sorry you have this problem and hope you get it resolved soon but I don't think anyone buys a HD for reliability but we all sure hope for that.

Puma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE Dragula 2, SESTP, C&C Fastback
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2015, 09:06:03 PM »

Never assume that Harley has your back, you could find out the hard way they really don't. 

I'm not familiar with all the details of the system, but I don't remember seeing anything about a coolant level sensor.  And once the coolant is lost, you won't get a meaningful temperature reading from the coolant temperature sensor either.  You have to have the sensor immersed in coolant for it to work properly.  The same thing is true of the temperature gauge in cars and trucks.

I think it would be a very good idea to make a quick check of the coolant level part of a pre-ride inspection, along with things like checking tires and all lights.

Jerry
Good advice. When I had liquid cooled bikes I always made that a part of my pre-ride check. On my old VTX it was just a matter of looking at a translucent reservoir hidden ahead of the rear wheel.  That bike did leak coolant when it was new, so it isn't just Harley. Of course a quick turn on a hose clamp and it never leaked another drop. Wasn't quite tight enough from the factory. I also had a Vulcan 1600 that was liquid cooled. It never leaked any, but did leak gear oil from the final drive (shaft drive). My experience with that service dept. was a lot like the OP's Harley "tech." Had it back twice and neither time did the rear wheel stay clean for more than a mile. Could have really been dangerous. Can you say Lemon Law? In the end, a good mechanic fixed it in twenty minutes.
2014 CVO Road King: Titianium/Black, Dragula 2 (2-1), SESTP, C&C Fastback

Puma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE Dragula 2, SESTP, C&C Fastback
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2015, 09:12:01 PM »

Good advice. When I had liquid cooled bikes I always made that a part of my pre-ride check. On my old VTX it was just a matter of looking at a translucent reservoir hidden ahead of the rear wheel.  That bike did leak coolant when it was new, so it isn't just Harley. Of course a quick turn on a hose clamp and it never leaked another drop. Wasn't quite tight enough from the factory. I also had a Vulcan 1600 that was liquid cooled. It never leaked any, but did leak gear oil from the final drive (shaft drive). My experience with that service dept. was a lot like the OP's Harley "tech." Had it back twice and neither time did the rear wheel stay clean for more than a mile. Could have really been dangerous. Can you say Lemon Law? In the end, a good mechanic fixed it in twenty minutes.
BTW I traded that Vulcan on a 2010 Heritage that I rode for over five years and almost thirty thousand miles and the only problem was cracked saddle bags that the ESP covered. So sometimes Harleys are reliable (and sometimes they are not). All of my bikes have given me some kind of minor trouble, but for the most part I've been lucky.
2014 CVO Road King: Titianium/Black, Dragula 2 (2-1), SESTP, C&C Fastback
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 24 queries.