Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Limits for our Ultras?  (Read 4682 times)

Goin Mobile

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Limits for our Ultras?
« on: December 28, 2006, 12:53:38 AM »

I recently had a  discussion with a friend who has a very nice 1200 Sportster about our bikes. He commented that the Sportster was meant for the mountain roads and that the Ultra was primarily for the multi-lane slabs. Being new to the Ultra and being polite with a friend I didn't argue the point. I just described a very slow twisty mountain road I recently rode with the Ultra. My thought is that the Sportster can take the mountain twisties faster, but that the Ultra can do just fine on any road where the Sporster or my Dyna would go. I'm not placing any limits on where I take the Ultra, except making sure that my riding skill is up to par on slow manuevering. I would like to know if I am missing anything here, especially if I might someday head into an ackward situation.
With only highway ahead
When I'm mobile
Keep me movin'  - Who

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 B/O
Re: Limits for our Ultras?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 01:00:55 AM »

Your not missing anything They can go anywhere ya point em and bank em  just with more comfort and style.
my sporster has style also but the ladies prefer the ultra
Do it right the first time, don't leave it for the next guy, as YOU may be the next guy!!

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG & 2011 Ultra -Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 01:22:10 AM »

Your not missing anything They can go anywhere ya point em and bank em  just with more comfort and style.
my sporster has style also but the ladies prefer the ultra
[highlight][/highlight]

I agree the sportster your setting more on top of the bike with the ultra or any bagger your setting down inside the bike and with a hell of lot more comfort. Like a buddy of mine said  After an eight hour ride you'll both be there but the guy on the sporty will be ready for bed, and you on the ultra will be ready to go dancing.

Don

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 01:55:09 AM »

This reminds me of a ride I had over the North Cascade Highway a few years back.

A bunch of us decided to get together and do the ride over to Winthrop from Bellingham and back.  Maybe 450 miles, we showed up on a three Road Kings, two Ultras and a Buell.

Well you can imagine who thought he had the biggest balls......yup, the twisty bustin' haul assin' Buell.  So off we go.

We're doin' some backroads down to the pass highway and the Buell takes off about three times, does some passes on cages and then is waiting up the road for us.  

So we hit the pass highway which has much more limited access and we are going to be in the wind for a few hours of twisty mountain highway, climbing and descending all the way.  By now I've had about my fill of the Buell guy but I've been hanging back with one of the Road King riders who is new to riding and not exactly keeping up with the others.

We'd go along for awhile and then hold up a bit for him to catch up so I rode with him for 20 miles or so.  Somewhere along in here the Buell drops a couple gears and grabs a handful of throttle..........I had decided that since he enjoyed it so much he may as well have a little company and did the same.

I'm no super bike racer but I do have over thirty years on big bikes and countless miles, the Buell guy wasn't new to riding either, but he wasn't a super bike racer either from what I'd seen.  This is the long way to saying, if you ride within your limits and don't allow yourself to get sucked in, you can stay with most anybody.....at least close enough they know you are there.  

Brake a bit earlier getting into a corner and power up a bit earlier too in most cases and guess what, the Buell guy is looking over his shoulder as much as he's looking up the road.  After about ten minutes of this and the three lights of my Ultra burning in the back of his helmet we came to a construction area and were stopped for the roadwork, as I pulled up he was putting his foot down at a stop and he looked over and said, "oh it's you....I wondered who the hell was keeping up with me."

It wasn't by any stretch a race and I had my hands full the whole time, but the group enjoyed the rest of the day as a group with the Buell in our midst and nary another break away.

What a great day that was in the mountains with some friends.  

Bottom line you can ride the Ultra through the twisties and have a great time and be comfortable as has been said here.  Then get back on it and go right on back, but the Sportster guys will definitely be wishin' they were on the Ultra by the end of the day.

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member
  • Good Bye Milk Dud! Hello Black Beauty!

• CVO1: 06 SEUC Black Candy Crimson
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 06:42:10 AM »

Its sorta like having a Cadillac and an old Corvette.  If you want to feel the road and be able to use it up, a Sporty will get you there.  The Ultra gets you there about as fast, but in so much more comfort.

I have a Sporty and always will.  Love to get it out for an hour's run regularly.  But if I'm taking Momma or heading out more than 100 miles, I reach for the big boy.  Without hesitation.

They both are wonderful tools to do a slightly different job.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 08:08:14 AM »

I recently had a  discussion with a friend who has a very nice 1200 Sportster about our bikes. He commented that the Sportster was meant for the mountain roads and that the Ultra was primarily for the multi-lane slabs. Being new to the Ultra and being polite with a friend I didn't argue the point. I just described a very slow twisty mountain road I recently rode with the Ultra. My thought is that the Sportster can take the mountain twisties faster, but that the Ultra can do just fine on any road where the Sporster or my Dyna would go. I'm not placing any limits on where I take the Ultra, except making sure that my riding skill is up to par on slow manuevering. I would like to know if I am missing anything here, especially if I might someday head into an ackward situation.

I'm new to this message board and just started yesterday. This past spring I had an 05 black Ultra and we planned a trip to Townsend TN (Smoky Mountains). My wife and I left a day early. We got to townsend just before dark. We had directions to the cabin where we were staying which was only a couple of miles out of town. When we got there, I was shocked to see a hill that looked like Mount Mckinley! YIKES! We need a 4 WD drive to get up that hill! There was no way I was leaving my bike at the booom of the hill by the side of the road. There was no way I was wealking up that hill! I stopped and checked the situation out closely before deciding to git-r-done. It was a good 1/4 mile up the hill to the cabin. Not only did the Utlra do it, It did so remarkably well! We enjoyed ourselfs so much we did it again in September. By this time I'd traded the 05 for this 07 Ultra Classic CVO Screaming Eagle. It also pulled up the jeep trail! Happy 4-wheeeling on 2 wheels!
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 10:33:44 AM »

I'm new to this message board and just started yesterday. This past spring I had an 05 black Ultra and we planned a trip to Townsend TN (Smoky Mountains). My wife and I left a day early. We got to townsend just before dark. We had directions to the cabin where we were staying which was only a couple of miles out of town. When we got there, I was shocked to see a hill that looked like Mount Mckinley! YIKES! We need a 4 WD drive to get up that hill! There was no way I was leaving my bike at the booom of the hill by the side of the road. There was no way I was wealking up that hill! I stopped and checked the situation out closely before deciding to git-r-done. It was a good 1/4 mile up the hill to the cabin. Not only did the Utlra do it, It did so remarkably well! We enjoyed ourselfs so much we did it again in September. By this time I'd traded the 05 for this 07 Ultra Classic CVO Screaming Eagle. It also pulled up the jeep trail! Happy 4-wheeeling on 2 wheels!

HB Welcome to the site! Great story if you get a chance post a few pics of the hill climb.

Ed [smiley=pepper.gif]
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

hdfatboy

• Full CVO Member
  • Pain is Mandatory. Misery is Optional.
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 11:01:20 AM »

I recently had a  discussion with a friend who has a very nice 1200 Sportster about our bikes. He commented that the Sportster was meant for the mountain roads and that the Ultra was primarily for the multi-lane slabs. .  .  .  . I would like to know if I am missing anything here, especially if I might someday head into an ackward situation.

Two things to consider:
1) riding within your own limitations
2) Lean angle of each bike considered

In your case an Ultra vs. a Sortster:
ULTRA = 30º / 32º LH/RH
SPORTSTER = 32º / 32º LH/RH
(spec.'s as posted on the HD web site for stock bikes)

zis help? Oh, yeah! BTW. Welcome to the site. Lots of useless, er ah, useful  ;) info here!

hdfatboy

• Full CVO Member
  • Pain is Mandatory. Misery is Optional.
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 11:05:02 AM »

HB Welcome to the site! Great story if you get a chance post a few pics of the hill climb.

Ed [smiley=pepper.gif]

YEP Ed  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] me too! HB gotta see that . . . AND welcome! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 11:36:09 AM »

Welcome to the site Goin and HB.  Good people and good info here.  ;)

Big difference between the sporty and the ultra is, obviously, weight.  You're throwing around a lot more weight with the ultra, but she'll react just as well.  It's just that you know you're throwing that weight around. Especially on the twisties.  But all things being equal.  At the end of the day, I'll take the comfort of the Ultra.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  A sporty was my first Harley...I'll always remember that ride.  But I'm I'm a "geezerglide" guy now...I likes the comfort.  ::)

HB, I'd be interested in seeing some more pics of your bike.  If that's your ride in the Avatar, you've done some things (like removed the tour pak).  I'd like to see some "up close and personal" shots of your B&O Jester.

Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 02:37:25 PM »

Nice thing about the Ultra, it'll do both the twisties and the super slab equally well.  I've ridden with some Sportsters, and if anything, they tend to get in the way on the twisties, so I just pass em.....and well ya don't really have to pass em on the interstates, cause they usually aren't out there.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

Re: testing photo size
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 05:02:10 PM »

This is not me climbing the hill. I'm taking the photo. It's a Honda 1100.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 05:05:04 PM by flhtcse2004 »

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 05:06:28 PM »

HB,
Nice pic, it's kind of grey around here lately like seeing the green.

Thanks for posting,
Ed [smiley=pepper.gif]
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 05:06:33 PM »

The best size for viewing is 800X600.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2006, 05:06:49 PM »

This is another photo looking down that dreaded hill. The photo does no do it justice. It's steeper than it appears here.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2006, 05:07:57 PM »

Trying this again.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2006, 05:10:36 PM »

Aren't these ladies BEAUTIFUL??? Oh, the women are nice too!

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2006, 05:11:25 PM »

just another with the tour pack off

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2006, 05:11:59 PM »

and YEt another.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2006, 05:12:40 PM »

On the Tail of the dragon

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2006, 05:13:30 PM »

At Centervill Tn. at a bike Rally. Parked next to my buddy's sportster.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2006, 05:14:04 PM »

Centerville Again

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2006, 05:21:28 PM »

Welcome to the site Goin and HB.  Good people and good info here.  ;)

Big difference between the sporty and the ultra is, obviously, weight.  You're throwing around a lot more weight with the ultra, but she'll react just as well.  It's just that you know you're throwing that weight around. Especially on the twisties.  But all things being equal.  At the end of the day, I'll take the comfort of the Ultra.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  A sporty was my first Harley...I'll always remember that ride.  But I'm I'm a "geezerglide" guy now...I likes the comfort.  ::)

HB, I'd be interested in seeing some more pics of your bike.  If that's your ride in the Avatar, you've done some things (like removed the tour pak).  I'd like to see some "up close and personal" shots of your B&O Jester.

Red

Red Devil. Nice Bike! I read that you added a race tuner and an AC. What is an AC? Air Cleaner? did the race tuner add more Hmmmmf to your machine? The 110 has quite a bit as it is, but, I know a lot of HP could be gained by some moifications. Any idea where to start on that? I only changed the pipes to V&H. I couldn't tell any difference except the extra noise.

07 CVO

• Elite CVO Member
  • SCREAMIN EAGLE!! Top of the Food chain!

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2006, 05:36:51 PM »

HogBreath,

I don't get it? You turned your beautiful Jester into a Street Glide? You should have just got the new Street Glide and payed for the 110 upgrade.

I know it is all about personalization but some thing I do not understand, but to each his/her own.
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
SE A/C, SERT, Samson Caliber True Duels
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR (SOLD)
2008 VW R32 #3719/5000 United Grey
2008 VW GTI

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2006, 05:58:13 PM »

HogBreath,

I don't get it? You turned your beautiful Jester into a Street Glide? You should have just got the new Street Glide and payed for the 110 upgrade.

I know it is all about personalization but some thing I do not understand, but to each his/her own.
07 CVO. I know exactly what you are saying. but, hey, in my opinion, the street glide is the most overpriced bike out there. Buy an Electra-Glide standard and add a few accessories! I suppose I enjoy changing the components around to suit my ride? Seems that everytime I ride, I set the bike up differently. This past weekend the temperature was 40 degress so I put the lowers on, the heated seat, and the tall windshield. Sometimes I'll change the seats and add the short windshield. sometimes the tourpack is on, sometimes it's off. I guess that's why they make so many different models.

Bagger

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2006, 05:59:50 PM »

HogBreath,

Ah, but as is HogBreath has options...........something he would not have with a Street Glide unless he purchased a Tour Pak, rear speakers, amp, CB, XM, heated seat, heated grips, fairing lowers and myriad other stuff the SEUC has that the Street Glide doesn't, which would likely drive the cost higher than than that of a SEUC..........and the paint wouldn't be anywhere near as cool.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2006, 06:02:48 PM »

HB, do you have that gorgeous pic from the tail of the dragon with the entire Austin Healey in it?

If you wouldn't mind posting if so, thanks.

Bagger

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2006, 06:03:27 PM »

BTW HogBreath, you have a way KEWL machine there Bro!  I LOVE my melon, but your scoot ROCKS!  One of these days I'll get brave and start customizing.

Henry

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2006, 06:11:09 PM »

HB, do you have that gorgeous pic from the tail of the dragon with the entire Austin Healey in it?

If you wouldn't mind posting if so, thanks.

I am sorry. I don't guess I know what an Austin Healy is? OH! It's a car! No, sorry, that's all I have!

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2006, 06:12:57 PM »

BTW HogBreath, you have a way KEWL machine there Bro!  I LOVE my melon, but your scoot ROCKS!  One of these days I'll get brave and start customizing.

Henry
Thbanks Bagger. I actually didn't spend very much on the modifications at all.

Bagger

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2006, 06:19:43 PM »

Thbanks Bagger. I actually didn't spend very much on the modifications at all.

I'd be lying if I said I'm not concerned about the monetary outlay, however greenbacks aren't the major concern.  I don't want to lose any functionality when I put my tour pak back on, and as I understand it, the amp and umbilical must come off to facilitate a removable tour pak.  I'd like to be able to easily reinstall my amp, and keep CB functionality regardless of whether the tour pak is on or off.
Then there is the matter of time................If I have time, I'd rather spend it riding as opposed to customizing. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2006, 06:23:04 PM »

I'd be lying if I said I'm not concerned about the monetary outlay, however greenbacks aren't the major concern.  I don't want to lose any functionality when I put my tour pak back on, and as I understand it, the amp and umbilical must come off to facilitate a removable tour pak.  I'd like to be able to easily reinstall my amp, and keep CB functionality regardless of whether the tour pak is on or off.
Then there is the matter of time................If I have time, I'd rather spend it riding as opposed to customizing. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Well, I decided I don't care about the CB radio, so I disconnected the antennae. The radio antennae is mounted in the fairing. The amp is mounted in the saddlebag. I suppose it takes a little room but to me it's worth it. I didn't want to loose any of the power of the amp neither as I and my wife both like the tunes. I hired my dealer to do it, and I was shocked the labor bill was only a couple of hundred bucks.

Bagger

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2006, 06:42:11 PM »

Well, I decided I don't care about the CB radio, so I disconnected the antennae. The radio antennae is mounted in the fairing. The amp is mounted in the saddlebag. I suppose it takes a little room but to me it's worth it. I didn't want to loose any of the power of the amp neither as I and my wife both like the tunes. I hired my dealer to do it, and I was shocked the labor bill was only a couple of hundred bucks.

That's why I'm thinking about just leaving things as is on my SEUC and looking for a nice 04 or 05 SEEG so I'll have something to romp around on when Renea doesn't want to ride.  I had a detachable tour pak on my 02 Ultra, and man taking that tour pak off made one hell of a difference in driveability.  It was so easy to swap around too.  No amp.  No effect to CB.  I dunno what I'm gonna do.  Needless to say, I want my cake and I want to eat it too.  Looks like I'll soon be in the market for another scoot to add to my stable.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2006, 01:20:01 AM »

Red Devil. Nice Bike! I read that you added a race tuner and an AC. What is an AC? Air Cleaner? did the race tuner add more Hmmmmf to your machine? The 110 has quite a bit as it is, but, I know a lot of HP could be gained by some moifications. Any idea where to start on that? I only changed the pipes to V&H. I couldn't tell any difference except the extra noise.

HB,
Yes, I went with the SERT, SE Air Cleaner, V&H duals and Ovals, "right out of the box".  I never drove the bike with the stock header pipes or mufflers.  All I know is that the 110 with the SERT map 84 in it right now, hauls A$$.  The torque at 2000 rpm and above is stump pulling.  Was it that way stock?  I couldn't tell you... [smiley=nixweiss.gif].  I'm taking it in Tuesday to get the 1K done and get it dyno'd, so I don't know if I'll see any noticeable difference.  I guess the print-out will tell me.   ;)  As far as where to start with yours, I guess determine what's more important to you, better low end torque/power, or high end torque/power.  And after reading a lot of posts here on the different setups, the choice are almost endless, but it seems that if you want lower end go with stock, two-into-one, or dual non-stepped head pipes.  If you want the higher end, go with the stepped (i.e., Rhinehart or Bassani) head pipes.  There are plenty of posts in this forum, along with plenty of people that will give you free (and good) advice on what they have done and what works for them.  Good luck on whatever you decide to do.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Red

2012 FLHXSE3

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2006, 10:14:05 AM »

Red Devil,

Good luck on the dyno Tuesday and be sure to get the new map on a backup disk!

Cheers,

Mark

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2006, 01:52:30 PM »

Red Devil,

Good luck on the dyno Tuesday and be sure to [highlight]get the new map on a backup disk[/highlight]!

I was very specific about that with the dealer and I'll remind them of that when I take the bike down on Tuesday.  They told me no problem giving me a copy of the map.  I hope not...I paid for it.   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] I'm anxious to see what this set-up will dyno out to.
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2006, 02:10:24 PM »

I was very specific about that with the dealer and I'll remind them of that when I take the bike down on Tuesday.  They told me no problem giving me a copy of the map.  I hope not...I paid for it.   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] I'm anxious to see what this set-up will dyno out to.
Red

Hey Red, Are they going to let you stay there while they're Dyno-tuning? To me, it's an interesting process that I'm looking forward to "being involved with". Just a little anyway. Enough to know what he's doing, why and how. Just curious whether you'll be there or just giving it to them to do. ;) Hoist!  8-)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

harlez4me

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2006, 02:17:26 PM »

HB,
Yes, I went with the SERT, SE Air Cleaner, V&H duals and Ovals, "right out of the box".  I never drove the bike with the stock header pipes or mufflers.  All I know is that the 110 with the SERT map 84 in it right now, hauls A$$.  The torque at 2000 rpm and above is stump pulling.  Was it that way stock?  I couldn't tell you... [smiley=nixweiss.gif].  I'm taking it in Tuesday to get the 1K done and get it dyno'd, so I don't know if I'll see any noticeable difference.  I guess the print-out will tell me.   ;)  As far as where to start with yours, I guess determine what's more important to you, better low end torque/power, or high end torque/power.  And after reading a lot of posts here on the different setups, the choice are almost endless, but it seems that if you want lower end go with stock, two-into-one, or dual non-stepped head pipes.  If you want the higher end, go with the stepped (i.e., Rhinehart or Bassani) head pipes.  There are plenty of posts in this forum, along with plenty of people that will give you free (and good) advice on what they have done and what works for them.  Good luck on whatever you decide to do.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Red

Red, I went with the exact same package, but have not been able to drive it yet the verify the HAUL A$$ part. I look forward to seeing your results.
JD

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2006, 06:16:07 PM »

Hey Red, Are they going to let you stay there while they're Dyno-tuning? To me, it's an interesting process that I'm looking forward to "being involved with". Just a little anyway. Enough to know what he's doing, why and how. Just curious whether you'll be there or just giving it to them to do. ;) Hoist!  8-)
Hoist,
Unfortunately, I'm giving it to them to do.  I'd like to see it, but not sure when they're going to do it.  They said it would take about 3-4 hours to do the 1 K and then another 3-4 hours to dyno it.  So I'm dropping it off around noon Tuesday and picking it back up sometime Wednesday afternoon.  I tried to pin them down when they were going to do the dyno, but they couldn't be exact.  I suppose I could have them call me when they're getting ready to put it in the booth, and I could catch some of it.  We'll see what happens.
Red
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 06:16:58 PM by RedDevil »

2012 FLHXSE3

Jester_Red07

• http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i213/VROCKSE/RedJester034.jpg
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE 2 VRSCSE
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2006, 01:39:05 PM »

I have done that! And the only reservation that I had, WAS : IS THERE A PLACE TO TURN AROUND @THE TOP????

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2008, 03:32:08 AM »

Hey Ken, taken the V-Rod or the SERG hill climbing yet?  :drink:

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2008, 05:36:12 AM »

Hey Ken, taken the V-Rod or the SERG hill climbing yet?  :drink:

Never taken a CVO Hillclimbing. It's on my list of things to do before I die though.  ;D

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2008, 11:21:54 AM »

Never taken a CVO Hillclimbing. It's on my list of things to do before I die though.  ;D

Ok man, when it happens remember the rule though:

:worthless: :worthless:

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2008, 08:15:17 PM »

Man time flies, I couldn't believe the date on the thread when I got here.

We did some light dirt ridin' this spring when we went deep into the woods on a route laid out by a none Harley rider.

The guy on the BMW GS ate it up though.  We made it just fine as well.  About 25 Harley's.

REGGAB

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2008, 05:52:51 AM »

WOW.......this is old.  Someone definitely has entirely too much time on their hands to be diggin' up bones like this.   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Not to sure about hill climbing.  Stump pulling, maybe.   :huepfenjump3:

GhostBagger

« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2008, 01:52:46 PM »

My 06 outside a Welsh farm cottage we holidayed in.

The cottage was at the end a 2.5 mile road that had grass growing on it.

GhostBagger.

REGGAB

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2008, 11:09:26 PM »

That's a beautiful sight.  Thanks for sharing.

planenut

• 1K CVO Member
  • life is short enjoy the ride
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2022 Road glide Limited Wicked orange Pearl and Blackhole
    • CVO2: 18 115 cvo limited anniversary #1068(sold)
    • CVO3: 15 cvo Limited Maroon and silver (sold)
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2008, 10:15:15 PM »

there are no limits and we do it in style and comfort     :2vrolijk_21: ;D
Fullsac headpipe TAb Performance 4.5 slash 2.5 baffles
SERT program   horsepower hd cam
freedom shields 13 in
Custom Dynamics full lighting Ft and rear
Soundz 6 speaker set up 1k amp
Legends Axeo ft and Revo A in rear

REGGAB

« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2008, 10:34:52 PM »

there are no limits and we do it in style and comfort     :2vrolijk_21: ;D

WERD!

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2008, 10:38:26 PM »

My 08 SEUC handles curves better than my 07 SES, and with a Lot more comfort.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

REGGAB

« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2008, 10:55:58 PM »

My 06 SEUC is a curve huggin', hill climbin', super-slab scootin', backroad cruisin', gravel road travelin', parkway poundin', turnpike twistin', tunnel tourin', twolane tamin', driveway leavin', one-up or two-up, mile eatin', fun lovin', good time havin', Sweet Baby Girl!  Can't wait to get her home!   :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.416 seconds with 20 queries.