Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Motorcycle sales increase and safety news story  (Read 893 times)

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Motorcycle sales increase and safety news story
« on: June 27, 2008, 10:48:13 AM »

Intersting news story on increased motorcycle sales and in turn increased accidents.

http://www.wvec.com/news/topstories/stories/wvec_local_062606_motorcycle_gas_safety.40798e68.html

They interview an owner of a local import bike dealership and they state that they can't keep bikes in stock, all warehouses are empty and that the makers are comming out early with the 2009s to meet demands.....Wow big difference from the Harley dealerships in the area.
Video mentions many folks dragging bikes out of storage to ride also and service departments are backed up. Safety classes are full and there is a backup on them too.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 10:51:00 AM by VaEagle »

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
Re: Motorcycle sales increase and safety news story
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 10:53:54 AM »

A trend directly related to gas pricing...they really should make it mandatory to take a rider safety course for first time motorcycle licenses. Perhaps also a mental acuity test for the ones buying the rice rocket bikes... :nixweiss:
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 11:00:04 AM »

...they really should make it mandatory to take a rider safety course for first time motorcycle licenses.

If all lisence holders were required to take a motorcycle class we would all be a lot safer.

Regarding gas prices, the high cost hasn't SLOWED anyone down in our area.  Speed up to a red traffic light and slam on the brakes.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 11:06:45 AM »

I agree, it's gas price driven. Yesterday I got a call from a Yamaha salesman asking me if I could train new riders. I told him my course was for experienced riders and not beginners. I gave him the number for MSF/CMSP.

I may be out of line, but good gas milage is a benefit of riding a motorcycle. But to buy a motorcycle JUST to save gas may not be a good idea. I believe before someone makes that purchase and swings their leg over the saddle, they need to be commited to riding and being safer rider, and that comes from the INSIDE, and not the wallet. Folks just buy a bike and think "That's It". Well it's not, they need the right gear, for ALL kinds of weather. They need training followed up by regular practice. If they are not going to commit themselves to that then maybe a SmartCar or electric car is the way to go. I hope I didn't piss anyone off with my rant.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 11:20:21 AM »

I agree, it's gas price driven. Yesterday I got a call from a Yamaha salesman asking me if I could train new riders. I told him my course was for experienced riders and not beginners. I gave him the number for MSF/CMSP.

I may be out of line, but good gas milage is a benefit of riding a motorcycle. But to buy a motorcycle JUST to save gas may not be a good idea. I believe before someone makes that purchase and swings their leg over the saddle, they need to be commited to riding and being safer rider, and that comes from the INSIDE, and not the wallet. Folks just buy a bike and think "That's It". Well it's not, they need the right gear, for ALL kinds of weather. They need training followed up by regular practice. If they are not going to commit themselves to that then maybe a SmartCar or electric car is the way to go. I hope I didn't piss anyone off with my rant.

You won't piss anyone off here. The other day I was in traffic waiting for a light and one of those scooters came up the side of the road to get up to the traffic light,on the right side of the road and got in front of the lead car , got back into the middle of the road and proceded to piss everyone off becuase that piece of crap could'nt go more than 30 mph. Up a hill no less. What a strapper :soapbox:
Someday's you hit them like Jack Nicklaus and someday's like Jack Ass

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 01:28:41 PM »

I agree, those hairdryers on wheels seem to be a real nuisance on the roads. 45 mph speed limit and we're all doing 32 because scooter boy and rider have to hog the road...grrrr

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 01:43:09 PM »

Look at it this way guys, those scooter folks are helping you to get better fuel economy by limiting your acceleration and speed. ;)

It would be nice if the streets in this country had paved shoulders with bicycle type lanes so that bicycles and perhaps even scooters could stay out of the main flow of traffic, but unfortunately I've only been in a handfull of places with that type of foresight.  I can't really blame the scooter folks for taking up a position in the center of the lane, since the typical car or truck driver rarely pulls out to pass them but instead tries to squeeze by in the same lane.  I learned shortly after buying my first motorcycle to take up a position in the left tire track on the roads so that people couldn't squeeze me off the road or sideswipe me while trying to pass.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 02:01:13 PM »

yeah, I practise that riding rule as well. Seems like the best position in the road for visibility too...

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 02:22:24 PM »

I keep weaving a bobbing along...Keep em guessin!

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 25 queries.