Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Something to think about  (Read 8050 times)

Older Guy

• Senior CVO Member
Something to think about
« on: September 08, 2013, 08:11:41 AM »

It seems there is a lot of bashing of the Deluxe. Look at it as I do. I just sold my 2011 CVO Streetglide as I have become older and the weight of the streetglide with moving it around and parking it as to not having to move it much took some of the joy of riding. I had one of the first Deluxe in 05 and loved it.I had put a sundowner seat and taller backrest for my wife and she was very comfortable on it. I bought an 08 streeglide in 08 for a better ride over longer overnight rides.Always wanted a cvo and bought one in2011. Now at age 75 I thought I would have to go to a trike to keep riding and feel comfortable with it. now that Harley has come out with the deluxe in a cvo I can still stay on two wheels for a few years more, and still have a CVO. some say it is a chicks bike but let me tell you it is also a great bike for us older and short legged people.  Just keep in mind that the Deluxe is what it is for good or bad but it is still a CVO.Sooner or later you will get older and have to either down size your bike or go to a trike as I am doing. Don't be to quick to judge what others like or dislike. You younger riders should ride and enjoy your bikes and just remember time catches all of us. Stay safe.
      Thanks Older Guy
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 07:35:41 AM by Older Guy »

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Something to think about
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 08:54:54 AM »

It seems there is a lot of bashing of the Deluxe. Look at it as I do. I just sold my 2011 CVO Streetglide as I have become older and the weight of the streetglide with moving it around and parking it as to not having to move it much took some of the joy of riding. I had one of the first Deluxe in 05 and loved it.I had put a sundowner seat and taller backrest for my wife and she was very comfortable on it. I bought an 08 streeglide in 08 for a better ride over longer overnight rides.Always wanted a cvo and bought one in2011. Now at age 75 I thought I would have to go to a trike to keep riding and feel comfortable with it. now that Harley has come out with the deluxe in a cvo I can still stay on two wheels for a few years more, and still have a CVO. some say it is a chicks bike but let tell you it is also a great bike for us older and short legged people.  Just keep in mind that the Deluxe is what it is for good or bad but it is still a CVO.Sooner or later you will get older and have to either down size your bike or go to a trike as I am doing. Don't be to quick to judge what others like or dislike. You younger riders should ride and enjoy your bikes and just remember time catches all of us. Stay safe.
      Thanks Older Guy

Of course, you are completely correct in your observations and comments.  Even though I am still a long way from 75, physically, I have a knee that will need replacement at some point in the future.  I find that the past year or so, I am enjoying riding my FXR over my SEUC more and more.  I enjoy having my SEUC for trips and two up riding, but when riding solo, I am more often than not choosing to ride the smaller, lighter FXR....
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 09:15:04 AM »

It seems there is a lot of bashing of the Deluxe. Look at it as I do. I just sold my 2011 CVO Streetglide as I have become older and the weight of the streetglide with moving it around and parking it as to not having to move it much took some of the joy of riding. I had one of the first Deluxe in 05 and loved it.I had put a sundowner seat and taller backrest for my wife and she was very comfortable on it. I bought an 08 streeglide in 08 for a better ride over longer overnight rides.Always wanted a cvo and bought one in2011. Now at age 75 I thought I would have to go to a trike to keep riding and feel comfortable with it. now that Harley has come out with the deluxe in a cvo I can still stay on two wheels for a few years more, and still have a CVO. some say it is a chicks bike but let tell you it is also a great bike for us older and short legged people.  Just keep in mind that the Deluxe is what it is for good or bad but it is still a CVO.Sooner or later you will get older and have to either down size your bike or go to a trike as I am doing. Don't be to quick to judge what others like or dislike. You younger riders should ride and enjoy your bikes and just remember time catches all of us. Stay safe.
      Thanks Older Guy
I just made 62 and understand totally.  My first Harley was a Deluxe and I miss her to this day.  I'm really enjoying my Breakout but have thoughts of getting a used 103 Deluxe and putting hard bags on her.  That will be my touring ride when I take her across the mainland in a few years . . . that's the dream anyway.
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

Older Guy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 09:27:22 AM »

I hope people read this and take my post in the spirit it was meant to be. Thanks for your thoughts we all love this sport and want to ride forever . I think at this time in my life I am greatfull that I can still enjoy it.
                             John

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 11:30:16 AM »

I am enjoying riding my FXR over my SEUC more and more.  

Whose FXR ??? ?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 12:18:05 PM »

Whose FXR ??? ?

Ummmm....  Oh boy....  Ummmm....  Make that her FXR....    :love_3:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Older Guy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 12:35:39 PM »

YOU GO GIRL1111
 Older Guy

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 07:30:33 PM »

It seems there is a lot of bashing of the Deluxe. Look at it as I do. I just sold my 2011 CVO Streetglide as I have become older and the weight of the streetglide with moving it around and parking it as to not having to move it much took some of the joy of riding. I had one of the first Deluxe in 05 and loved it.I had put a sundowner seat and taller backrest for my wife and she was very comfortable on it. I bought an 08 streeglide in 08 for a better ride over longer overnight rides.Always wanted a cvo and bought one in2011. Now at age 75 I thought I would have to go to a trike to keep riding and feel comfortable with it. now that Harley has come out with the deluxe in a cvo I can still stay on two wheels for a few years more, and still have a CVO. some say it is a chicks bike but let me tell you it is also a great bike for us older and short legged people.  Just keep in mind that the Deluxe is what it is for good or bad but it is still a CVO.Sooner or later you will get older and have to either down size your bike or go to a trike as I am doing. Don't be to quick to judge what others like or dislike. You younger riders should ride and enjoy your bikes and just remember time catches all of us. Stay safe.
      Thanks Older Guy

Older Guy, I don't see anything that would make me think the Deluxe is a "chick" bike.  This year's color scheme might be a little "loud" for some but the bike itself is one fine looking scoot IMHO.  What anybody else thinks is beside the point anyway.  If it allows you to stay in the saddle for a few more years then its a beautiful ride.  More power to you for being flexible enough to make those decisions that let you to continue to ride.   :2vrolijk_21:
Jesus is Lord

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 06:57:28 PM »

I think it would look AWESOME with a 21" fat spoke wheel!!!

Like this....

wolverine

• Full CVO Member
  • Rock Hard, Ride Free

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red / Black Ember
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 07:13:26 PM »

Older Guy I say go for the CVO deluxe. I test rode 2 of them at demo days. That bike Rocks. It seems quicker than the CVO limited more agile also.  I also rode the CVO Breakout. I liked the floorboards and windshield on the deluxe better myself. Your right 1 day it will happen to all of us if we live that long. Enjoy the new bike. Did I say the Brown one is my favorite color.

Older Guy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 07:44:31 PM »

Thanks for the support, and I am going for it.
                  John

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 09:50:03 PM »

John

Posting of pics is required after purchase of bike.   ;D
Jesus is Lord

Shes110

• Life's too Short
  • Full CVO Member
  • Ride it like you stole it!!
    • FL

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE2 - sold
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - sold
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHXSE3 CVO4: 2015.5 FLHXSE
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 12:24:17 AM »

Older Guy I say go for the CVO deluxe. I test rode 2 of them at demo days. That bike Rocks. It seems quicker than the CVO limited more agile also.  I also rode the CVO Breakout. I liked the floorboards and windshield on the deluxe better myself. Your right 1 day it will happen to all of us if we live that long. Enjoy the new bike. Did I say the Brown one is my favorite color.
Nice to hear some good things about this new deluxe! I had an 08 and have missed it since the day I got rid of it...
I have a deposit on the orange/brown one that should be here on the 25th... I'll post pictures if I buy it... Don't know about getting rid of my FLHXSE3 though... might have to keep both until I make up my mind ::)
Life is not a matter of counting the years,
It's a matter of making the years count!

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 12:44:45 AM »

John

:2vrolijk_21:   :2vrolijk_21:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 02:35:51 AM »

John,

I wasn't sure what to think of the CVO Deluxe from the pictures, but as usual, seeing them in the flesh made me a convert.  :-* They are really nice, and I thought the same thing you mentioned here.  It would be nice to have a lighter, less cumbersome bike that could still go on a long trip if needed.

Go for it.  :2vrolijk_21:

Dan

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 09:35:26 AM »

Saw two of them at different dealers, the blue/white and the maple/orange. Distinctly different personalities but both beautiful bikes! The pearl white really is purdy. Would like to see a red one since that would be the fastest of the three.

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 11:08:59 AM »

I'm in my mid 50's and already thinking a lighter bike might be in order. With a leather tour pack, a comfortable seat and passenger floor boards this bike work for me. However, I would really miss the stereo.

Great looking bike, I think matching hard bags would be killer?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 04:51:17 PM »

The CVO Deluxe will certainly be easier to handle than any Touring bike, especially the fairing bikes. I have ridden several Softails, and the way you sit down IN them - plus their much lighter weight - makes them feel much smaller and more nimble than Touring bikes.

And you have my respect for still riding at age 75! I say go for what you like and feel comfortable riding... and then ride on, brother!  :2vrolijk_21:

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 04:56:39 PM »

Whose FXR ??? ?

Scott... If your gorgeous Tangerine FXR4 ever gets stolen, it will probably be in my garage!

That's one of my very favorite bikes EVER, and is the very rarest FXR color.  :2vrolijk_21: I have a friend down in FL who has one, and I've threatened to steal his, too!

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Older Guy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2013, 11:13:06 AM »

This what I bought.
           Older Guy

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2013, 01:22:28 PM »

Scott... If your gorgeous Tangerine FXR4[/b] ever gets stolen, it will probably be in my garage!

That's one of my very favorite bikes EVER, and is the very rarest FXR color.  :2vrolijk_21: I have a friend down in FL who has one, and I've threatened to steal his, too!

Ken

At your own risk.  Trust me, you'd have trouble!   :huepfenjump3:

(It's my wife's bike!)
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2013, 02:16:43 PM »

This what I bought.
           Older Guy

Alright!  Good for you.  Here's to many happy and safe miles!  :drink:

Dan
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 24 queries.