Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wind Deflectors  (Read 9445 times)

Older Guy

• Senior CVO Member
Wind Deflectors
« on: January 09, 2014, 07:00:04 PM »

Has any one put Wind Deflectors on the Deluxe? If so do they help   
               Older Guy

Bike30

Re: Wind Deflectors
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 03:22:36 PM »

Has any one put Wind Deflectors on the Deluxe? If so do they help   
               Older Guy

I've put them on two softails and other HD's...2012 FLSTN and now my '14 FLSTNSE. P/N 58125-90B. Now superseded by P/N 57400143.

They reduce the up flow of air over the knees and around the fuel tank. The stuff that lifts your shirt and beard if you have one. Add a leather pouch front fork bag tied to the running light bar, and soft lowers on the engine bar, and you have great weather protection.

eleft36

• Full CVO Member
  • Senior Rider
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 05:03:13 PM »

Not sure you can adapt this to your Triple Tree, it's a simple cure for the wind sneaking up over the tank and trying to blow your glasses and helmet off for about $25.00 at  HD dealer.

Al
2010 CVO 110" Conv. Exhaust, K&N A/C, Stock Heads, SE 103" BB kit, Andrews 26H Cams, Adapted H-D Engine Guard, Mustang wide Touring Seat, Stock Bars, H-D Oil Cooler, 1990 Leather Works Inc. Bags with Deluxe modified guards, H-D Windshield, Thunder Max A/T, '05 CVO Tour Pac, SCRC Chapter 524

Bike30

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 03:40:40 PM »

Not sure you can adapt this to your Triple Tree, it's a simple cure for the wind sneaking up over the tank and trying to blow your glasses and helmet off for about $25.00 at  HD dealer.

Al

Good idea! I've used them before on several Touring models and they do work as advertised. Used to come as standard equipment for some years. I'll see about that angle adapter bolted to the bottom of the steering stem.

The fork bag I mentioned above tied to the light bar accomplished the same thing. Forces the air flow under the bag similar to the chrome baffle.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 03:43:19 PM by Bike30 »

Older Guy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 02:27:34 PM »

I remember when they came on the ultras, the dealers were taking them off because of them not letting the air get to the motor and causing heat problems.
I looked up part # you posted but could not find them.

Older Guy

Bike30

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 09:25:57 PM »

I remember when they came on the ultras, the dealers were taking them off because of them not letting the air get to the motor and causing heat problems.
I looked up part # you posted but could not find them.

Older Guy

Both fork air deflector part numbers show up via a Google search with several vendors and HD listed. The first (mine) has been superseded by the second, but both are still available. The triple tree unit is 58520-79TC. Attaching it to an angle as above, or drilling a single hole for mounting to the bottom of the tree would work. I use a fork bag (91773-85) attached to the fog light bar,but will try the baffle tomorrow as I've got one here somewhere.

In the Service Manuals HD did recommend removing the under tree baffle when hot as you note, but I've run 'em without problems. What little air gets deflected goes down towards the engine's fins. There's not that much cooling coming off the cylinder head covers. If they did, HD would have finned them like Indian.

BTW, those wanting deeper sounding yet 49 State EPA stamped 80 db non-Cat slip ons would do well to source HD P/N 80495-07. They fit perfectly on the '14 FLSTNSE's, but are about 3/4" shorter in overall length. The stock heat shields fit, and so will the shorter 64806-07A's. They are no longer in production, but are available from stock at several USA dealers.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 10:41:58 PM by Bike30 »

Older Guy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 12:07:48 PM »

Put the side wind deflectors on, they seem to help a lot.I wear glasses and they never move from my face.
   Older Guy

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 24 queries.