Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noisy Screamin Eagle Street Cannons- Must tone down for Ol' lady  (Read 18099 times)

TC44

• CVO1: 2008 Screamin Eagle Ultra 105th Anniversary Edition with a few mods.
Noisy Screamin Eagle Street Cannons- Must tone down for Ol' lady
« on: December 14, 2013, 12:22:08 AM »

I recently purchased a 2008 Screamin Eagle Ultra with Fulsac headers and stock mufflers.  I put a stage I kit on it, added Screamin Eagle Street Cannon slip-on mufflers, added Screamin Eagle Race Tuner Pro, and had it dyno'd.  The numbers were pretty good I thought for no engine work...92.88 HP  102 TQ.  This increase in performance came at the cost of EXTREMELY LOUD exhaust sound!  So bad in fact, my wife doesn't want to ride with me anymore.  The guys in my MM made me tailgunner because of the irritatingly loud exhaust.  Can anyone please suggest a method of quieting the street cannons by possibly changing baffles, etc...?  I do not want to pay another $500 if I don't have to.
Thanks in advance.
Merry Christmas and GOD bless!
JOHN 3:16
Jesus is the reason for the season!

TC44

Re: Noisy Screamin Eagle Street Cannons- Must tone down for Ol' lady
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 02:56:59 AM »

I have a brand new set of Screamin Eagle street cannons on a 2008 CVO Ultra with true dual headers and they are entirely too loud.  Have been searching for methods to quieten them down some and have come to these two options:  Fiberglass material baffle wrap or steel wool wrap.  If you know of a better way please let me know.
Thanks in advance
Merry Christmas and GOD bless!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 12:31:34 AM by TC44 »

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 07:39:52 AM »

Didn't say what 2 options you were thinking about. The enter key is not always your friend!! Stock baffles? How much wrap do you have? Need to know exacty what you have , off the shelf pipes can vary greatly as a tech could have used them as a noise level tester. You should be able to tell if they have ever been bolted on.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 08:38:41 AM »

The Street Cannons are designed for '09-up 2:1:2 bikes, and not the 110.  They're not baffled for your setup, so they're going to be loud.
The best you've had is the best you know.

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 09:30:26 AM »

I test drove an Ultra  Limited ( 103 ) that had the street cannons on it and they weren't loud at all, but that was with the stock headpipe. True duals always make it louder.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

redmtrckl

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 09:47:28 AM »

Fullsac cores in your stock mufflers for cheap and you might even pick up some more power if it's properly tuned.
They recently had a sale on the 2" cores.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 09:48:26 AM »

If you're already running the Fullsac headpipe I would suggest a visit to their site so you can get yourself a set of their baffles to install in your stock cans. I'm using their 1.75" inch baffle in my stock muffler cans and the wife and I have no complaints, nice tone around town and at idle so we can enjoy listening to the bike and the stereo then barks just enough for us when the throttle is twisted. They offer a few different size baffles to please most ears.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 11:59:45 AM »

I recently put the 2" cores in my stock mufflers and with the stock head pipe and they are a little too quiet. That will change as soon as I install his head pipe! :bananarock:
T-MAN 117 kit

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 12:44:02 PM »

If you will run the Fullsac baffle in the stock muffler cans, you can pretty much choose the noise level desired.  1.75" will be the quietest, 2" is about right for my taste, and the 2.25" will be fairly loud.

Your mufflers could be costing you some TQ, because you either have a bad tune or the choice of mufflers is a poor one.  There are hundreds of folks running the Fullsac State I with 2" cores and the numbers are more like 95HP and 110+TQ with even the canned map provided by Steve (with the TTS).  Your setup is leaving a lot of TQ on the table.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

TC44

Re: Noisy Screamin Eagle Street Cannons- Must tone down for Ol' lady UPDATE
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 02:24:00 AM »

A buddy gave me a set of older screamin eagle mufflers with tips.  I do not know what the name of these are but they are as quiet as a goldwing.  The part # is 80536-07 and 80537-07.  Steve at Fullsac tells me that he might be able to work with these and get me so more sound from them with one of his baffles.  So, I have gone from one extreme to the other in the volume spectrum.  I know I sound like I am hard to please but ideally I would like somewhere in between the two.  I think Steve will be able to help.  After talking with him he seems very knowledgeable.  Thanks for all of the good info.
Thanks,
TC

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 03:21:19 PM »

I am sure you will be happy with Steve's baffles,never heard a complaint.The 2" with a single wrap of insulation gives me the sound I was looking for.I had a D and D fat cat on my last bike and it was a great runner but too loud!Yes,Iknow,I am getting too old! ::)
T-MAN 117 kit

TC44

Which Fullsac baffles to choose?
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 09:31:32 PM »

Okay, I found a good used set of 08 CVO oef mufflers and I am going to use Fullsac baffles with the Stock CVO mufflers.  I have the following setup:  2008 CVO Ultra 110" with tru dual headers and will be using Steve's baffles.  My question is which size baffles with my setup will be loud enough to have the "Harley sound" at idle and low RPM but will bark with some throttle.  Loud, but not TOO loud
Thanks for you help with this as I am anxious to get this baby back on the road and make my wife happy.

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 03:01:58 AM »

Another option would be the big city thunder "Q" baffles. They would be less costly than another set of slip ons.
Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Which Fullsac baffles to choose?
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 11:09:05 AM »

Okay, I found a good used set of 08 CVO oef mufflers and I am going to use Fullsac baffles with the Stock CVO mufflers.  I have the following setup:  2008 CVO Ultra 110" with tru dual headers and will be using Steve's baffles.  My question is which size baffles with my setup will be loud enough to have the "Harley sound" at idle and low RPM but will bark with some throttle.  Loud, but not TOO loud
Thanks for you help with this as I am anxious to get this baby back on the road and make my wife happy.

The 2" cores are a good compromise, IMO. 
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 22 queries.