Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GTS vs GT  (Read 752 times)

Hondo2doc

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
GTS vs GT
« on: May 03, 2021, 09:37:12 AM »

So I test rode the 2021 CVO Roadglide and Streetglide over the weekend at the Thunderbeach rally in Panama City. I was very impressed with both (More on that in another thread).

But I really really really liked the GTS infortainment system. It was real impressive. I have since learned I can upgrade my current GT to the new GTS and also install WHIM.

This is a bit of a pricey upgrade so I have some questions and would appreciate any and all input.

Is the GTS that much better?
Does the GTS work smoothly with the ride planner app on an android phone?
Is the WHIM the best way to go?
Do many of you guys use headsets for most of your riding?

I’m just getting started into the headset and using it on a full face. Do the head sets also work well on 3/4?

Do any of you guys use the headsets to communicate with other riders in group rides? Does it work well?

Sorry for so many questions but just tapping into all the verbal command possibilities. Really hate wearing a full face helmet here in South Florida.

So I use a full face for long distance travel and usually use a 3/4 for local rides. Can I set up a separate headset for each helmet and the bike would recognize it?

Again thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
Re: GTS vs GT
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 12:59:04 PM »

So I test rode the 2021 CVO Roadglide and Streetglide over the weekend at the Thunderbeach rally in Panama City. I was very impressed with both (More on that in another thread).

But I really really really liked the GTS infortainment system. It was real impressive. I have since learned I can upgrade my current GT to the new GTS and also install WHIM.

This is a bit of a pricey upgrade so I have some questions and would appreciate any and all input.

Yes

For the most part but there are some quirks to using it. Install the HD app on your phone and log into the same account you use for ride planner. DO NOT use the Send to Bike feature (doesn't always work and it can lock everything up).  Connect the phone to the bike using Bluetooth (iPhone has to be plugged into the bike using the USB). Click on the HD app icon on the bike. It will download a list of routes that you have saved in ride planner. Select the route you want to use and it will import it to the bike navigation. When creating routes in ride planner, if you use location A to location B then add another location C, it will import 2 separate routes (A to B and B to C.). It you only want it to be one route just have the start location and end location and then use the shaping points to adjust your route to suit your needs. The gpx export feature in ride planner does not play well with GT/GTS. It does not recognize the shaping points when imported into the bike from a thumb drive. I have found that bike navigation works best with Fastest checked and Highways unchecked. If you want to avoid interstates just use  more shaping points.

For me it is. If you have the XM module and are using it, there is a signal conflict with the Bluetooth headset.

I do all the time. I route my music through the bike speakers and everything else is through the headset.

I’m just getting started into the headset and using it on a full face. Do the head sets also work well on 3/4?
Yes, and also on a half helmet. You'll have to get the speaker pouches for a half helmet.

Do any of you guys use the headsets to communicate with other riders in group rides?
Yes

Does it work well?
Yes

Sorry for so many questions but just tapping into all the verbal command possibilities. Really hate wearing a full face helmet here in South Florida.

So I use a full face for long distance travel and usually use a 3/4 for local rides.
Can I set up a separate headset for each helmet and the bike would recognize it?
I have several different helmets, each with their own mounting hardware. I just switch the Sena module to the helmet I want to use.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 01:50:38 PM by cvosjoe »
2019 FLHXSE Charred Steel/Lightning Silver
2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLTRXS Wicked Red Denim
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

Hondo2doc

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 01:11:57 PM »

Cvosjoe,

Thanks so much for that great info. I didn’t know I could listen to my music from the fairing speakers then use the helmet speakers for voice commands and communication.

So I could also get two pairs of helmet speakers and microphone for two different helmets and then just swap the snap on command piece to which ever helmet I was using? Is that correct?

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 01:45:52 PM »

Cvosjoe,

Thanks so much for that great info. I didn’t know I could listen to my music from the fairing speakers then use the helmet speakers for voice commands and communication.

So I could also get two pairs of helmet speakers and microphone for two different helmets and then just swap the snap on command piece to which ever helmet I was using? Is that correct?

You're welcome.

Yes, when you buy the headset it comes with the docking hardware that includes the microphone and speakers. You can also buy the docking hardware separately either from HD or Sena.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 01:48:52 PM by cvosjoe »
2019 FLHXSE Charred Steel/Lightning Silver
2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLTRXS Wicked Red Denim
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

110Mofo

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 02:07:57 PM »

« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 09:10:31 AM by 110 Mofo »
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 07:48:02 AM »

I too use the H-D Sena Headset.  Works well.  Two big issues as far as I am concerned are if everything is routed though helmet speakers, music, prompts and CB battery lasts 6 to 7 hours max.  If music is to bike speakers and prompts and CB to head set it lasts about 9 hours.  HD says it lasts over 12, I have never got more than 9.5.

That said, same headset paired to my phone, not to bike lasts over 14 hours playing music and nav prompts
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 09:22:29 AM »

Do any of you guys use the headsets to communicate with other riders in group rides? Does it work well?

So I use a full face for long distance travel and usually use a 3/4 for local rides. Can I set up a separate headset for each helmet and the bike would recognize it?

Another approach to consider is to bypass the BT headsets all together. Add the 7pin DIN adapter https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/shop/Boom-Audio-Music-and-Communications-Kit/p/69200865?source_cd=SEM_Shop_PLA&_cr=ssc%7cGOOGLE%7cSmart_Shopping_All_Products%7c%7c69200865&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4cOEBhDMARIsAA3XDRgJtTC-G3cRYkpXiFyZT4stIq4owgdxFzdnPQCTcswFYzhm949o_wYaAktoEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds to the bike. Then you wont have to keep a BT headset charged and you won't have to pay for a WHIM unit.

I have a 2017 CVO LTD which kept the wired port from the factory. I upgraded the bike's Factory BOOM GT to the BOOM GTS but maintained a wired headset. Far more convenient from my perspective as I can use HD's wired helmetless headset with my half helmet. It gives me all the capabilities of CarPlay, phone calls, CB and listen to music/nav through the headset or the speakers. I also have the wired headset for my full helmet and my wife's full helmet.

BTW, I find HD's older style wired helmetless headset https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/shop/Boom-Audio-Half-Helmet-Music-and-Communications-Headset/p/76572-09 far more comfortable than their "Premium" helmetless headset.

The upgrade to the BOOM GTS was a terrific upgrade. While its abit pricey, its worth every penny over the GT BOOM, IMO. And when you consider you can sell your GT radio on eBay for a decent price, it makes the price of the GTS more reasonable. Its also quite easy to install yourself but you will need to have a dealer flash the radio to your bike once its installed.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 09:30:54 AM by Heatwave »

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 24 queries.