Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Soundz Carbon System  (Read 3218 times)

jamala00

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

Soundz Carbon System
« on: February 10, 2022, 07:37:31 PM »

Hey Guys... So I got a Soundz Carbon System installed into my '18 CVO Street Glide Today. 6 Speaker (fairing, lowers, lids). I also got the upgraded GTX Boom HU. For you  guys that have done Soundz, what are your impressions?

I'm going to be honest... I'm kind of underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, it sounds much better then the Boom II System that came in the bike, but for the money I guess my expectations where a bit higher. I was playing Amazon Prime HD Music, connected via the USB over Android Auto. I was playing music I listen to frequently... (Linkin Park, AC/DC, Metallica, etc...) If I turned the system up anything past 1/2 volume it really began to just sound like very loud distorted music. It's winter here in  WI, so I wasn't outside riding, I was sitting in my garage where my bike is parked for the winter under the stairs that go to the top of my garage.

I thought this system came with a DSP? The installer came to my house to install the system. I checked in on him once and a while. I don't recall him installing a DSP.. and I forgot to ask. I did see him messing with what I assumed to be the gains on the amp. He also told me not to use the Speed Control Volume as it would void the warranty. If you are using it and have the system turned up... then take off the SCV could turn up the system enough to blow speakers.

Are my expectations just simply to high? Do I need to wait until I'm out riding to make any real judgements?

Just curious your thoughts. The installer did tell me he'd guarantee I'd be happy and if I wasn't he'd put my OEM system back in and refund my purchase.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
Re: Soundz Carbon System
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2022, 12:28:53 AM »

I love my soundz system. Make sure you did get the DSP.   The DSP lets you fade the music front to rear also.  and that he set up the amp properly.  You can call Joe in fla for help. No reason you shouldn't be delighted with the amp, DSP and their speakers. The installation is critical. Stuart.    Also the  GTS radio should be flashed. 

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2022, 12:56:12 AM »

absolutely should not be distorting and 1/2 volume! Something not right as the system should be able to handle crazy high volume especially if you are listening in your garage. System meant to be clear wearing a FF helmet on the freeway at high speed being crystal clear
Alan

jamala00

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2022, 06:22:10 AM »

I will validate if a DSP was installed, but I don't think it was.

What do you guys use for for streaming source? I have used Pandora forever and I keep it set to Highest Quality and I have an Android phone. Installer seemed to really frown upon not using Amazon Prime Music and an iPhone.

The HU was flashed, that I know...

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2022, 07:18:03 AM »

I use a USB drive mostly. I'm thinking the amp is not properly set.

jamala00

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2022, 07:43:10 AM »

So I did email him last night after playing around with the system. As mentioned my bike is stored for winter, so as he was installing the system and setting it, tuning it, etc... and while I was playing around with it, the bike was never running. He responded to me and asked me to  make sure the battery was fully charged and try playing the same songs. Said he thinks maybe my battery drained low enough to cause the amp to not function properly. I don't know... I have it hooked back up to my tender, so I'll try tonight after work, but I highly doubt that is the issue. It was hooked up to my tender all winter so far and fully charged before he started his install.

I just emailed him this AM asking about the DSP. I don't believe one was used. I told him, I wanted the  "top of the line", meaning Carbons, best AMP, DSP, etc... so if one wasn't used, I'll have to ask him why. He did tell me if I was not completely satisfied he, he'd take the Soundz System back out and put the Boom II System back in at no cost and refund my purchase.

He did upgrade the Boom Box HU from  the 6.5 to the new GTX. I'd 100% keep that, as that is night and day on boot and connect times to BlueTooth, not to mention Android Auto.

I put a Biketronics System in my '09 Ultra back in  the day and honestly, right now... I think that sounded better.

I did just get a response back from the installer and he did send me a pic and verified that there was a DSP installed. He actually said that Soundz requires it with the Carbon's system. So Ya, I'm not sure what's up, but i'm very underwhelmed with what I'm hearing sitting in my garage. It's louder for sure, but quality at louder volumes is minimally better then what the Boom II is sitting still in the garage. Actually the Boom II even had a bit more bass to it.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 08:15:26 AM by jamala00 »

Mofo67

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2022, 09:14:09 AM »

I have no experience with Soundz systems and the bike audio experience I have other than BOOM is J&M about 10 years ago. My first suggestion would be check the output level on your streaming device. I use Apple Music and I’ve noticed if I turn the output up on my phone it is not as clear on radio when it is at higher volume.
Other than that check the gains on the amp and settings on the DSP.
Sorry to hear you are disappointed, I know you’ve been planning for this… Hope it works out!

jamala00

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2022, 10:09:24 AM »

I'm in contact with the Soundz Dealer/Installer... I'm going to mess around with it this weekend. He did set the gains and DSP... I'd hope that stuff is set right. I can for sure mess with the volume on my phone when streaming bluetooth, but when connected to the USB via Android Auto, that output volume is just set I believe? I've never tried turning the volume on the phone done in any of my autos when connected to them via USB using Android Auto.

Maybe I just had higher expectations? To bad there isn't someone around me that has a Soundz system that could listen to mine and tell me if I'm just being to damb picky. The system is most definitely better then the Boom II, but "for me" I don't think $3800 better.. No Way...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 11:03:55 AM by jamala00 »

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2022, 10:58:02 AM »

I have a 2019 CVO Limited and had the four speakers replaced with the carbon speakers, DSP and the bike came with the GTS, the installer also came to my house to do the install, I asked him about flashing, he said it wasn't needed on my bike  :nixweiss: I stream Pandora most of the time or a flash drive when I have no cell service, I have noticed that some music does not sound good, but most others do, I have no problem riding on the highway at 70 mph with a half or full face helmet and hearing the music clear as can be, some music is pretty bright with the carbon speakers, but I would have to say I'm satisfied with the system and there service, shortly after I had it installed, all of a sudden it made a loud noise and nothing came through the speakers, I called Soundz and they had one of there techs call me back, he walked me through where to find the issue and the DSP went bad, they sent me a new one the next day, so I'm looking at the old one and unsnapped the box, it was full of water, your very limited on where to place that, because of the CB and the Whim, so on the new one I used electrical tape and taped up around the seal of the box and turned it where the wires are coming out on the bottom and sealed around those as well, I have not had a problem with it since. The installer also said to keep the auto volume off as well.

I'm sure they will figure it out on your bike, there service is great! 
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

jamala00

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2022, 11:07:24 AM »

I do agree that their service is great. This local dealer/installer I'm working with is willing to do anything to insure I'm happy. Even if that includes refunding my purchase and swapping the system back out to the Boom II equipment.

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2022, 11:59:28 AM »

I don't think your expectations are too high at all.  Being a Music file myself, I heard their systems at Sturgis last year and after factoring in the cost which I was ready to absorb, I couldn't justify it.  It is better than stock, but not enough "Soul" and could use much better bass for that cost to justify ripping out my 6-speaker stock system which isn't great, but gets the job done.
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

jamala00

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2022, 12:34:45 PM »

I don't think your expectations are too high at all.  Being a Music file myself, I heard their systems at Sturgis last year and after factoring in the cost which I was ready to absorb, I couldn't justify it.  It is better than stock, but not enough "Soul" and could use much better bass for that cost to justify ripping out my 6-speaker stock system which isn't great, but gets the job done.

You said it perfectly... This is pretty much spot on with how I feel. Yes, it's better then stock, but not that much  better to  justify the price tag of what I had installed. I wish I would have had a way to hear it first. If i did, I would have never had it installed.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2022, 09:03:41 PM »

I would call soundz in FL. Talk to Joe. Are you sure the gains and settings are correct?  This step must be done along with setting the switches properly. That is some of the best Mc audio on the market.
No good reason you should not be so happy with it. Stuart
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 09:05:49 PM by Cvostu »

jamala00

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2022, 09:21:03 PM »

I would call soundz in FL. Talk to Joe. Are you sure the gains and settings are correct?  This step must be done along with setting the switches properly. That is some of the best Mc audio on the market.
No good reason you should not be so happy with it. Stuart

The dealer/installer that did my system said he has done hundreds of these systems. He actually goes to the Soundz booth at Sturgis to do installs. I'd sure hope he's capable? (He sure seemed like he was) I can certainly call Joe at Soundz in FL, but wouldn't he just go through the dealer/installer to troubleshoot or fix anything that maybe isn't right? Maybe the issue is it's doing exactly what it should be, but to my ears it isn't sounding like I think it should for a $4000 System. People may call me crazy, but the Boom II system "to me" (and the rock, alternative) music I listen too, sounded better with the bike sitting still in the garage then the Soundz does. Yes, the Boom II has issue at hwy speeds, but a large majority of my riding, it seemed to do the job. I  just thought I'd make it "better". To me, it doesn't sound $4000 worth better. I had much higher expectations for that kind of money.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2022, 09:39:07 PM »

i upgraded my 16 RGU with soundz , amp, dsp & 4 iron 65 speakers (witch sound better to my ear) and would never go back to stock. of course i didnt have much to start with and my system only cost 2500 bucks installed. sorry your disappointed  :nixweiss: 
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.