Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why you cannot use Boom amplifiers with aftermarket speakers, with good results.  (Read 846 times)

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO SG (Hard Candy Mercury)
    • CVO2: 2002 Road Glide (Silver)
    • CVO3: 2005 Chrysler 300C (Custom)

Hi Folks, I’ve spent a lot of time trying to upgrade the speakers on my 2015 CVO Street Glide and I’ve learned a lot (the hard way). So I thought I’d share what I learned.  My goal was to maintain the OEM Boom2 amplifiers to keep the integration and functionality as close to stock as possible.  What I found is that this is not really possible.

I created a video on the subject and posted it on YouTube. I warn you up front that it’s a bit long winded but I do feel there is a lot of useful information. Especially for folks who are considering keeping the stock amplifiers but using non-OEM speakers.
I think that this is also relevant to folks thinking of installing an aftermarket Head Unit (Like the new Soundstream HDHU14 for example) and thinking that they will use the OEM Boom amps.  Again, if you maintain the Boom Amps you will probably be forced to maintain the OEM speakers also if you expect good results.

The short explanation is that because of the internal crossovers built into the OEM Boom Amps they will never produce the correct frequencies for any 2-speaker component systems like (Hertz or Infinity Kappa). And because of these same internal crossovers in the Boom amps a DSP cannot be used for signal correction (IMO).

Anyway, here’s a link to the Video. Cut me some slack as I’m no audio expert or video post expert either.  Just thought I’d share what I’ve learned. Hopefully it will help others that are trying to decide what to do when upgrading their sound system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acVhPGUfIEk

BTW:  There was not much information out there on the Power output of the OEM Boom System.  You can see these results at the end of the Video and I’ll attach that to this post too…

Cheers!

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom

If you want to upgrade,  I would suggest you replace the boom stuff.  There are lots of great choices out there and you can do it all and be done.   I went with Soundz.  I'm very happy.  Watch YouTube videos.  You will learn so much.  I have mine with a DSP  and I am very happy with it. Hope this helps.   Stuart.

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper

I also went with Soundz and I'm very happy, but I would also recommend looking into Volunteer Audio, he has a lot of YouTube videos on his equipment and installation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

Thanks Guys... 

I do understand the options for aftermarket systems and I'm very familiar with what dealers are available for help and advice. I already know what aftermarket upgrade I'm going to do. I've seen countless videos from Volunteer Audio and from Carlos at NVS.

I just know I've seen many other folks ask the question about using the Boom Amps with aftermarket speakers thinking that low impedance speakers will work just fine (but they don't because of the internal crossover issue in the Boom Amps). So, I thought I'd post what I found out about it.  And hopefully people will not waste their time thinking speakers like "Kappa Perfect" is the answer without having to do more.  It'll work but just not well.

Again, there just is not much detailed information available on exactly "Why" you cannot use the Boom amps or what the actual output numbers were on the OEM system. So I thought I'd post what I found out.

--

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
    • IN

• CVO1: 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"

I went to Sinister Sound 2 ohm speakers in the fairing of my 2020 CVO Road Glide for a while. I kept the stock amps and did not have the bike EQ flashed or anything. Only installed the speakers. They were louder (higher sensitivity = more volume even at same settings), more details stuck out such as reverb in vocals, and instruments didn't get muddy during songs where a lot was going on. So, its definitely possible, the options are just very limited with 2 ohm.

I've since upgraded to a SounDigital 800-watt/Ground Zero 4 ohm system. The output is great and it sounds much better than the stock system. But guess what? The actual sound quality isn't as good as my old 2 ohm Sinisters with the stock amps. The Ground Zero's lack the definition of the Sinister drivers. This is even with my EQ now being flashed and the stereo being comprehensively tuned. If Sinister's 4 ohm speakers are on par with their two ohm, I will be going back to those immediately in my fairing.

I would encourage anyone wanted to have a nice upgrade and not break the bank to try Sinister Sound's 2 ohm kit. As a precaution, I would install hydrophobic speaker cloth to the front grills. Its cheap and easy.

https://www.sinistersound.net/shop/SinisterSound-Product-Catalog/14UP-Street-GlideUltra-Products/p/14-up-2ohm-Sinister-Sound-Street-Glide-Fairing-speaker-system-for-use-with-a-BOOM-AUDIO-AMP-x49625917.htm
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

Thanks for sharing your experience. I suppose I'm just not understanding how tweeters can carry high midrange tones?  The main 6.5 inch speaker could deliver the midrange just fine but the crossover from the oem boom amp dies off at 2k hz... So the 6.5 inch speaker never sees the upper midrange frequencies and the tweeter cannot play them well either. The system is "unbalanced" as soon as you replace the oem speakers. It's not about low ohm speakers which was my point. But if you like the results of your setup that's what counts. Glad it worked out for you. I would never keep the oem amps knowing what I know now about how they are tuned. You can flash the head unit flat and perfect, and the boom amps will mess everything up.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
    • IN

• CVO1: 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"

I understand where you're coming from. Being an amateur musician, I've learned to sometimes take all the tech talk, set it aside, and just use my ears. Regardless of any specs, the Sinister drivers sounded absolutely fantastic compared to the stock BOOM II drivers, and even my new "upgraded" system. I know some people have their mind made up once they spend the money (placebo effect). But, I was genuinely pleased with them and now I'm on a quest to get that sound again, but hopefully even better with a new amp and some comprehensive tuning.

Still, I am on board with what you're saying as far as getting the BOOM stuff out of the bike.
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 21 queries.