Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question on audio for ZUMO 550 vs. 660 when in the car  (Read 1198 times)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
Question on audio for ZUMO 550 vs. 660 when in the car
« on: January 18, 2010, 09:44:38 AM »

I am still deciding which way to go 550 vs. 650.  I want to be able to use it in the car easily.  I do not use Bluetooth for headsets, making calls on the bike etc.
I believe the 660 has an internal speaker, and the 550 uses a speaker in the cradle?
I was wondering if the Bluetooth in the 550 would broadcast the directions using the Bluetooth in my car?  Would it interrupt the music from the car radio?
I could attach the audio output to the car radio, but then I would loos the music.

Looking for advice.  Looking for the simplest, lowest cost solution.

I know I can play MP3 in either GPS, but I like the radio.

Thanks
Any day on the bike is a good day.

RetSUBLDO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '19 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: '13 FLHRSE - sold
    • CVO3: '10 FLHTCUSE - sold
Re: Question on audio for ZUMO 550 vs. 660 when in the car
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 12:20:28 PM »

Garmin's website has lots of info about both the units.  Comparisons, specs, manuals, instructions, etc.  Big difference for bluetooth is 550 is mono and 660 is stereo.  550 won't output bluetooth for anything except the phone function when placed in the car mount.  660 will output bluetooth for all functions in the mount.

You are correct, the 550 doesn't have an internal speaker whereas the 660 does.

Neither unit will mute the car's radio for navigation prompts unless the car radio is using aux in or bluetooth from the Zumo and then you're not listening to the car radio tunes.

Either one is great imho.  Have both, the 660 is a little better for my use.  Bigger screen and QWERTY keypad for the older folks.

Hope this helps!

Eric

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 01:34:12 PM »

Garmin's website has lots of info about both the units.  Comparisons, specs, manuals, instructions, etc.  Big difference for bluetooth is 550 is mono and 660 is stereo.  550 won't output bluetooth for anything except the phone function when placed in the car mount.  660 will output bluetooth for all functions in the mount.

You are correct, the 550 doesn't have an internal speaker whereas the 660 does.

Neither unit will mute the car's radio for navigation prompts unless the car radio is using aux in or bluetooth from the Zumo and then you're not listening to the car radio tunes.

Either one is great imho.  Have both, the 660 is a little better for my use.  Bigger screen and QWERTY keypad for the older folks.

Hope this helps!

Eric

Thanks, Eric.  The internal speaker the 660 will probably tilt the decision for me.   
Any day on the bike is a good day.

ragtop13

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Amber/Citrus
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 09:04:48 PM »

I use the speaker in the cradle most of the time.  That works fine for normal directions and stuff, however when things get hairy or there is a lot of directions being spouted out, I use this to play thru the radio so I can hear it more clearly.
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering "What the hell happened!?!?"

ragtop13

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Amber/Citrus
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 09:07:15 PM »

By the way I use the Zumo 550 on the bike and in the car.  Great unit.
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering "What the hell happened!?!?"

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 21 queries.