Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 660 Fell Off  (Read 1002 times)

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
660 Fell Off
« on: March 19, 2010, 07:34:02 AM »

I lost my Zumo 660 yesterday at about 50 MPH.  :'(   I was using the bar mount that comes with the 660. The mount lock gave up for some reason or another and the 660 disapeared in my left mirror. I was on a back road with no other traffic so I pulled a U and went back to pick of the pieces. 9 pieces in all mostly little pieces of plastic.

I wondered about the mount when I say it for the first time, I wish now that it had a security lock like the 550. I don't know how the locking mechanism released by itself but it did.   :confused5: :nixweiss: I had the 660 on the bike for over 6 months now and it only comes off when I wash the bike or leave my bike when I am out and about. It has not been off for months because of the bad winter hear in Delaware so I know it was seated and locked fully.

I did a search on Google and did not find any one else who had this problem so I am thinking I just had a bad mount or bad juju. Luckily I have both the 550 and 660 on my bike so I am not out a GPS, but I am going to think about buying another 660 for awhile.
Ride It Like You Are Retired

rlavigna

• Elite CVO Member
  • FKA: Rich07

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: '07 SERK (retired)
Re: 660 Fell Off
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 09:22:41 AM »

Contact Garmin and advise them of what happened.  Lean on complaining and disappointment in their mount and they might either replace the 660 unit or offer you a very substantial discount.  I have found Garmin to be a fair and responsible company to deal with.  They have replaced 2 units for me for free well beyond the warranty expired.  The only problem is the long hold time to wait before speaking with a representative.

Good luck.

Rich

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 10:03:39 AM »

Where exactly did it let go?  Did the unit release from the cradle, or did the arm lock release?  I can't fathom that the base mounts screws came loose without you noticing? Very strange indeed as it is a pretty robust set up?

I actually had mine almost go flying, but luckily I caught it out of mid-air.  However, this was just when I got it, and before I had a chance to hardwire, so I was using the suction cup mount stuck on my tank speedo lens. It worked pretty well until toward the end of the day when it lost suction when I hit a road bump and it started flying towards my chest. It was a day old and I almost had a heart attack. 

Good luck with this - I hope they help you out.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 07:02:04 AM »

Where exactly did it let go?  Did the unit release from the cradle, or did the arm lock release?  I can't fathom that the base mounts screws came loose without you noticing? Very strange indeed as it is a pretty robust set up?

I actually had mine almost go flying, but luckily I caught it out of mid-air.  However, this was just when I got it, and before I had a chance to hardwire, so I was using the suction cup mount stuck on my tank speedo lens. It worked pretty well until toward the end of the day when it lost suction when I hit a road bump and it started flying towards my chest. It was a day old and I almost had a heart attack. 

Good luck with this - I hope they help you out.

The locking mechanism released by itself, maybe the vibration, maybe bumps I don't know why. I removed the mount and played with it for over an hour locking it any shacking it to see if it would release. I could not get it to release by shacking it but I did get it to release 3 times by tapping it on the palm of my hand. I emailed Garmin to tell them what happened after spending 20 minutes on hold. They have not replied yet. I think the mount is bad....
Ride It Like You Are Retired

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 07:42:06 AM »

:'( :'( :'(

I was considering switching out my 550 to the 660 until I saw this thread.  The 660 mount doesn't look as secure as the 550 with the screw down setup.

Garmin has been great to work with.  My screen "cracked" while riding and they replaced the unit for free.  It was under warranty though.

Did you use a 550 before the 660 and if so how was the 660?

:coolblue: :coolblue:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 21 queries.