Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can I Add Rear Saddlebag Speakers to 2010 SESG  (Read 3450 times)

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE - 2018 FLHTKSE-ANV (Traded)
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE (Traded) - 2007 FXSTSSE (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2003 100th FLHRCi (Sold) - 2001 FLSTF (Traded)
    • 33 Hotrod Build
Can I Add Rear Saddlebag Speakers to 2010 SESG
« on: February 25, 2012, 03:54:47 PM »

So when I got my 2010, there were no real good (by that I mean clean and easy) rear speaker options for a Street Glide.

Not being really Hi-Fi Savvy here is what I did:

Hawg Wired DCS1202 DCS Series 120W Amplifier
Hawg Wired SX Series 4 Ohm Component Speakers
Hawg Wired STK100B Dash Tweeter Kit (Gloss Black)
Hawg Wired Steel Mesh Speaker Grills
Boom! Audio XM Satellite Radio Kit - (76404-06)
Overlay Harness – Non Ultra - (70169-06)
Harman/Kardon Dummy Module
XM Antenna Bracket
J&M Fairing/Speaker Acoustic Pad

So I am very happy with the sound, but can't resist the urge to want to add rear speakers. I am considering ordering the HD Lids (though I don't seem to see my colour Spiced Rum) and add speakers.

Here are my questions:

1. As the amp is only a 2 channel and cannot be expanded, can I power the back speakers off of the HK Radio's amp somehow?
2. If so, is it just a matter of running the rears into the overlay harness? I have the one that has all the extra sockets that are unused as of now.
3. What speakers if that were the case... 2 Ohm?
4. If no Spiced Rum Colour matched lids, is there someone in the Niagara/Buffalo area (Canada or US) that anyone recommends that can match the paint?

Or if I'm destined to start all over again and build a 4 channel system, what way would you all recommend to minimize the equipment required given what I have already.

Thanks Nick

« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 04:02:29 PM by HDNIK »
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
Re: Can I Add Rear Saddlebag Speakers to 2010 SESG
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 07:49:07 PM »

The non-Ultra overlay harness already has connectors that will plug into the harness that is provided as part of the rear saddlebag speaker lid kit. You will need to get the 2-ohm version to attach directly to the Harmon head unit. Then, you will need to get the radio flashed to enable rear fader control (that, as well as a "special qualization" flash) is included as part of the rear speaker kit. However, some dealers will charge labor to install the included software.

The problem will be output when driven only by the head unit. You'll probably be disappointed. Hogtunes has a pretty cool bracket to mount their new 70.2 amp on the right side of the inner fairing - so you could add that amp to your exisitng system pretty easily. This amp would only drive the rear lid speakers, leaving everything else about your present system intact.

Of course, if you wanted to start over with a 4-channel amp then the sky is the limit  :)
I haven;t checked all the colors available in the factory painted speaker lids (I'm surprised Spiced Rum isn't avail?) but Paint by Gene has done Spiced Rum before. They are located in Seattle, WA.

Hope this helps ...
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 10:39:41 PM »

Tif2

Very helpful... Thank you. I will start my research on that amp.

Btw... If I went with the amp I assume I could use a 4 ohm speaker.
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

DvlDg29

• '10 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 10:43:59 PM »

I just ordered the Rockford Fosgate Batwing House Party system from Bagger Nation (Part # RF344-BHP). It has lids w/6x9 speakers, 6.5" speakers in the fairing and a 300x4 amp. I will put a review in once I get it done, but I heard this set up on a buddy's RG and it rocked. I had to find a painter too, Tequila Sunrise is a pain to get done. Gunslingers in Colorado has done CVO's for a long time and that's who's going to do mine. Hope this helps.

Semper Fi
Semper Fi

led tail lights

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 09:16:29 PM »

Let me know how gunsingers did. I'm doing the same set up from bagger nation. But I'm sending my radio out to iron cross to get front and rear pre outs and to get flashed, so you can fade front to back. Please post some pics!

DvlDg29

• '10 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 02:37:58 PM »

Let me know how gunsingers did. I'm doing the same set up from bagger nation. But I'm sending my radio out to iron cross to get front and rear pre outs and to get flashed, so you can fade front to back. Please post some pics!

It's been a little bit, but I got my lids back from Gunslingers and they did a perfect job. I'm in the middle of the install now, I'll post pics when I'm done. I sent them the latch of the bag so I would be with out a ride and he was able to match it perfectly, kudos to Kent and his team out there.
Semper Fi

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 02:42:38 PM »

Just finished my install. Gunslingers did a perfect job on mine as well! Really impressed!

Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 02:45:44 PM »

on the bike
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 03:08:36 PM »

You'll get MUCH more satisfying output from speaker level inputs to the RF amp than when using the pre-outs.
The RF amp output suffers when using a low-level input signal.

Just fyi ...
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 03:13:53 PM »

HDNIK,

Are they hooked up and working? How do they sound? Did you end up going with a RF 300x4 to power your whole system? I have not done the rear speakers yet, but they are on my list.

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 05:10:37 PM »

HDNIK,

Are they hooked up and working? How do they sound? Did you end up going with a RF 300x4 to power your whole system? I have not done the rear speakers yet, but they are on my list.

Hi Fast380

I had already installed an HW Amp and speakers previously for the fronts so just added another for the rears. I upgraded the fronts to 6.5's this time as well. Here are the parts I used

Hawg Wired DCS1202 DCS Series 120W Amplifier (Previous installed for Fronts)
Hawg Wired ZX654-100R 6.5" - 4 Ohm Component Speakers With HW Adapter Cones (New)
Hawg Wired STK100B Dash Tweeter Kit (Gloss Black)
Hogtunes NCA 70.2 amp (Rears)
Mounting kit (4405-0234)
HD Saddle Bag Lids (90200612, 90200613)
Boom! Audio Saddlebag Speaker kit (76000202)

Also have
Boom! Audio XM Satellite Radio Kit - (76404-06)
Overlay Harness – Non Ultra - (70169-06)
Harman/Kardon Dummy Module
Hawg Wired Steel Mesh Speaker Grills
Boom! Audio XM Satellite Radio Kit
Non Ultra Overlay Harness – XM Antenna Bracket
J&M Fairing/Speaker Acoustic Pad

Sound,

Well first off the 6.5's are WAY nicer sounding than the HW 5.25's. Same amp, but they just push more air I guess. I'm not sure if the tweeters add much to the situation, but it does allow me to lower the treble to about half and still i get the highs for clarity on the road.

The real difference was the rears for me... it really "warms" the tone of the stereo... if that makes sense. You can feel a little bass in the pants... not booming but nice and full.

I ahven't dialed in a good balance front to rear yet. Right now I have it about 2 notches off balance to the rear and tha,t to my ears, is balanced in the garage. While riding it feels to me another notch or two to the rear is needed, but I can still sense them filling sound around me.... not unlike an ultra, but much richer sound.

There is plenty of power to hear clearly at highway speeds even over my true duals... and just about a perfect increase of volume at speed from rest with the AVC set to 3 bars.

Over all i'm very happy with it. Light years better than the 2 speaker HW set up I had. It did get pretty pricey when all said and done, what with the paint and the new fronts etc etc... had I to do it all over again I may have ditched what i had and started from scratch and gone with your amp and maybe used a different rear 4 ohm speaker, but in the end it sounds great to me and it's nearley plug and play with the Hogtunes NCA 70.2.
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 21 queries.