Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil Seepage  (Read 2290 times)

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
Oil Seepage
« on: July 29, 2013, 01:50:26 PM »

Just got home from a 1300 mile trip and noticed this when I got home. There had been a little seepage when new but it appears to be getting worse, only 2400 miles on the bike. All the fasteners seem to be torqued to spec. It is on a FLHTCUSE8 by the way. Anything I can do or should I let the dealer take a look?

donald p

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 CVO
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO
    • CVO3: 2020 Tri Glide CVO
Re: Oil Seepage
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 02:25:37 PM »

NEW Bike bring it right to the DEALER.
.FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary #680
2020 Tri Glide CVO

SteveO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 11:09:44 PM »

Could be air cleaner blow by, crankcase overfilled with oil, drips out the back side of the air cleaner to the top part of the transmission area.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 11:36:31 PM »

Could be air cleaner blow by, crankcase overfilled with oil, drips out the back side of the air cleaner to the top part of the transmission area.

Had the same thought.  Do yourself a favor (actually a multi-part favor) and use a good engine oil in the engine, something like Redline Shockproof in the tranny and a good ATF in the primary.  Not only are they good choices for the various uses they all look and smell markedly different.  So you'll know what's leaking when you're chasing a drip.

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 08:42:07 AM »

It is Shockproof weeping between the outer transmission bearing support plate and the transmission case, I think its called the trapdoor on the engine diagram I was able to pull up online. It doesn't look like there is a gasket between the 2 parts like there used to be but I know there are fewer gaskets used now. Guess I'll take it in, it's just such a hassle to get it there then get me back home that I would rather work on it myself if it is an easy fix.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 08:54:47 AM »

It is Shockproof weeping between the outer transmission bearing support plate and the transmission case, I think its called the trapdoor on the engine diagram I was able to pull up online. It doesn't look like there is a gasket between the 2 parts like there used to be but I know there are fewer gaskets used now. Guess I'll take it in, it's just such a hassle to get it there then get me back home that I would rather work on it myself if it is an easy fix.

Yes, the bearing plate has had the nickname "trap door" for what seems like forever.  Yours is leaking where gasket part number 35654-06 should be.  There should be a gasket there.  Harley's cuts a lot of corners.  But it's still using gaskets....

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 04:43:35 PM »

Yes, the bearing plate has had the nickname "trap door" for what seems like forever.  Yours is leaking where gasket part number 35654-06 should be.  There should be a gasket there.  Harley's cuts a lot of corners.  But it's still using gaskets....

I must have a Monday bike, no gasket was installed at assembly. Service mgr. said the whole transmission has to come out to fix that. I thought it would be simpler, drop pipes and pull the plate, but then I've never done that before. He warned me about using Shockproof, or anything other than an HD product during the warranty period, I don't get the logic. Using a superior, application specific lubricant should be encouraged to lessen warranty claims. I called BS on it and later he admitted he uses Shockproof in his own bike. This may get interesting.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 04:59:07 PM »

I must have a Monday bike, no gasket was installed at assembly. Service mgr. said the whole transmission has to come out to fix that. I thought it would be simpler, drop pipes and pull the plate, but then I've never done that before. He warned me about using Shockproof, or anything other than an HD product during the warranty period, I don't get the logic. Using a superior, application specific lubricant should be encouraged to lessen warranty claims. I called BS on it and later he admitted he uses Shockproof in his own bike. This may get interesting.
Ain't no logic in that other than that service manager has been drinking the MoCo...

You need to flip him the :sauer021: and ask him if that's the case then the MoCo "has" to supply the fluid for free if any other fluid that meets or exceeds the manufacturers specifications is used voids the warranty. Total BS!!! :sauer005:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

mark

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 05:10:36 PM »

Should have asked the service mgr if failing to use gaskets voids the warranty too. 

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 05:13:29 PM »

Should have asked the service mgr if failing to use gaskets voids the warranty too. 

LMAO!!!! Good one!!! :2vrolijk_21: MoCo mistakes don't count... at least to them. :-X

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 08:01:37 PM »

I'll be using that line!!  :2vrolijk_21:

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 01:43:40 PM »

Picked my bike up today from service at the dealer. They acknowledged that there was no gasket where there should have been one, pulled the tranny and installed the missing gasket between the trapdoor and the transmission case. Service manager said he had never seen that before but before I left I saw another bike on the showroom floor that had no gasket. Looks like QC has been on vacation again. Don't they have checklists or something on a build sheet that would or should prevent such a gross oversight?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 03:16:03 PM »

Picked my bike up today from service at the dealer. They acknowledged that there was no gasket where there should have been one, pulled the tranny and installed the missing gasket between the trapdoor and the transmission case. Service manager said he had never seen that before but before I left I saw another bike on the showroom floor that had no gasket. Looks like QC has been on vacation again. Don't they have checklists or something on a build sheet that would or should prevent such a gross oversight?

That's the sort of thing that happens when you lay off the regular employee's and replace them with temporary part time employee's who make much less per hour and get no benefits (and probably not much training either). 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 05:42:23 PM »

That's the sort of thing that happens when you lay off the regular employee's and replace them with temporary part time employee's who make much less per hour and get no benefits (and probably not much training either). 

Jerry

That kind of crap smells of a disgruntled assembly line worker intentionally not putting a gasket where there should obviously be one...

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2013, 06:36:52 PM »

AS FIREdOOd says "need to flip him the and ask him if that's the case then the MoCo "has" to supply the fluid for free if any other fluid that meets or exceeds the manufacturers specifications is used voids the warranty. Total BS!!!"

The law backs that up too, NO WAY it voids the warranty, case law backs that up - if not supplied then you can use what you like as long as it meets specs.

No gasket, really makes one question Q.C.

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 22 queries.