Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: HEATED HARLEY CLOTHING QUESTION..  (Read 13609 times)

electra88

• LUV 2 RIDE!
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
HEATED HARLEY CLOTHING QUESTION..
« on: February 16, 2008, 11:21:10 AM »

HEY GUYS...  WELL ITS 28 OUTSIDE TODAY IN NY AND VERY VERY SUNNY!! PERFECT DAY FOR A RIDE....  PERFECT BECAUSE MY LOVING WIFE BOUGHT ME A PAIR OF GERBING HEATED SOCKS FOR VALENTINES DAY AND I GOT THEM IN THE MAIL LAST NIGHT.

HERS MY QUESTION,  I NOW HAVE THE HARLEY HEATED JACKET LINER, HARLEY HEATED PANTS AND HARLEY HEATED GLOVES.
I HAD HARLEY INSTALL THE HEATED GEAR LEAD DIRECTLY TO THE BATTERY AND I HAVE THE HARLEY 2 SWITTCH THERMOSTAT I USE. 

NOW WITH THE ADDITION OF THE SOCKS WILL I BE OK WITH THE AMPERAGE?  I DONT WANT TO BLOW A FUSE OR HAVE THE BIKES BATTERY BLOW ON ME WHILE IM RIDING.  I DO NOT KNOW WHAT SIZE FUSE IS IN THE LEAD FROM THE HEATED CLOTHING LINE TO THE BATTERY.

THANKS GUYS..... 
2011 Suzuki Vstrom 650 ABS
2010 Ducati Multistrada S Sport/Touring
2008 Suzuki BKING
2006 CVO ULTRA AUTUM HAZE (traded in)

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: HEATED HARLEY CLOTHING QUESTION..
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 08:53:36 PM »

The electricity draw is minor from the heated gear, go out and enjoy some nice winter riding! Also, the Gerbing wiring has a fuse for extra protection.

electra88

• LUV 2 RIDE!
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 10:37:49 PM »

Thanks... I had some great riding today!! Plenty of sunshine.  About 32 deg... I had everything plugged in and it was fine.  I was pushing around 85 - 90 miles an hour at some points to test the gear and I was not cold at all very warm and comfy. 

Very cool!! Only drawback is all the wiring with the thermostat.  But well worth it!!
2008 Suzuki BKING

HogDude

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: Gone-05 SEEG2(never should have let her go)
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 10:52:47 PM »

HEY GUYS...  WELL ITS 28 OUTSIDE TODAY IN NY AND VERY VERY SUNNY!! PERFECT DAY FOR A RIDE....  PERFECT BECAUSE MY LOVING WIFE BOUGHT ME A PAIR OF GERBING HEATED SOCKS FOR VALENTINES DAY AND I GOT THEM IN THE MAIL LAST NIGHT.

HERS MY QUESTION,  I NOW HAVE THE HARLEY HEATED JACKET LINER, HARLEY HEATED PANTS AND HARLEY HEATED GLOVES.
I HAD HARLEY INSTALL THE HEATED GEAR LEAD DIRECTLY TO THE BATTERY AND I HAVE THE HARLEY 2 SWITTCH THERMOSTAT I USE. 

NOW WITH THE ADDITION OF THE SOCKS WILL I BE OK WITH THE AMPERAGE?  I DONT WANT TO BLOW A FUSE OR HAVE THE BIKES BATTERY BLOW ON ME WHILE IM RIDING.  I DO NOT KNOW WHAT SIZE FUSE IS IN THE LEAD FROM THE HEATED CLOTHING LINE TO THE BATTERY.

THANKS GUYS..... 

You should be fine.   :2vrolijk_21: I've ran pants, liner, and sock with no problems.
One thing Gerbing does recommend in case you are not aware of it - - Plug in after starting the bike & Unplug prior to shutting off bike to lessen the impact on the electrical system. I don't always follow this routine, but that is their recommendation.

electra88

• LUV 2 RIDE!
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 12:58:32 AM »

Thanks...  I do try to follow that rule.  I have forgotten sometimes. 

Mike
2008 Suzuki BKING

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 08:21:11 AM »

THANKS GUYS..... 

There's a whole thread on this.............         http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=168.0

Some of the copy and pasted response that I'd gotten from HD was lost during the changeover to the new system.  But basically, two people with electric sox, pants liner, jacket and gloves are fine.  When you start adding things like GPS, LED lights (depending on how many you have) may only maintain the charge when under way.  While stopped at a light, etc. it may actually discharge just a tad with all the additional stuff on at the same time.  So one person with everything is fine, no problems.

Having made the contacts at both Gerbing and HD, I can tell you that once we actually got the stuff and used it with the t-stats, we quickly learned that we didn't need the sox or pants liners.  Just the electric jacket and electric gloves are enough.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 09:37:10 PM »

Geez all this heated clothing talk is giving me the chills, Last sunday it was 72 at 8;30am....pulled a clean tee shirt from the dryer.....put it on,...nice and toasty...proceeded to ride :orange:
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 09:41:09 PM »

THANKS GUYS..... 

some of us put a "y" in and it will run 2 jackets
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 06:02:01 AM »

Thanks... I had some great riding today!! Plenty of sunshine.  About 32 deg... I had everything plugged in and it was fine.  I was pushing around 85 - 90 miles an hour at some points to test the gear and I was not cold at all very warm and comfy. 

Very cool!! Only drawback is all the wiring with the thermostat.  But well worth it!!

I haven't done this regarding the thermostat but my brother in law has. He installed his thermostat in the dash to keep it out of the way . Next time I pull the fairing I'm going to do it but not going to bother just for that.

megavolt17

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 12:00:47 PM »

I thought about electrically heated clothing, but last year when it was 36F I hit a patch of black ice and nearly dropped my bike on a curve.  Now I try to remember that if it's too cold to drive with my leather jacket and chaps, there may be ice on the road.

If they made studded bike tires I would seriously consider getting heated clothing and would then be able to drive year round.  Snow is not too bad if you are careful, but ice shows no mercy.
Megavolt17

2008 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide (FLHTCUSE3)
105th Anniversary Crystal Copper and Black Onyx
HD High Intensity Discharge (HID) Dual Bulb Headlamp
HD Illuminated LED Windshield Molding Kit
HD Air Wing Tour-Pak Luggage Rack with Smoked Lens LED Rack Light
Küryakyn Panacea Blue Dot Smoked LED Taillights and Turn Signals
"Roll Your Own" SE Air Cleaner
SE Street Performance Touring Mufflers
SE Race Tuner
Traxxion AK-20 cartridges
Bitubo HD 300mm shocks

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 12:18:35 PM »

I thought about electrically heated clothing, but last year when it was 36F I hit a patch of black ice and nearly dropped my bike on a curve.  Now I try to remember that if it's too cold to drive with my leather jacket and chaps, there may be ice on the road.

If they made studded bike tires I would seriously consider getting heated clothing and would then be able to drive year round.  Snow is not too bad if you are careful, but ice shows no mercy.

Just move to where it doesn't get that cold!   :D
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 08:45:46 PM »

some of us put a "y" in and it will run 2 jackets

I have dual controllers on both mine and hers.  That way, we can control our jackets seperate from the pants liners...........although we've never wore the pants liners through two seasons.  Guess I ought to consider selling them and the electric socks. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 06:45:31 PM »

Sure coulda used some heated clothing since I left on two diff. days with the temps in the 'high' 20's.......at hwy. speeds that cold just goes right on thru all the 'layers' of non-heated gear.  But, the warmer southern climes were calling.  8) If I keep riding in the winter I'm gonna break down and try some heated clothes.  ::) har!  :huepfenlol2:spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 06:51:28 PM »

Sure coulda used some heated clothing since I left on two diff. days with the temps in the 'high' 20's.......at hwy. speeds that cold just goes right on thru all the 'layers' of non-heated gear.  But, the warmer southern climes were calling.  8) If I keep riding in the winter I'm gonna break down and try some heated clothes.  ::) har!  :huepfenlol2:spyder
Damn!!! I'm feeling like a big wuss. There is no way I'd think about a long distance trip (probably wouldn't even pull the bike out) in those temps. With my new found metal parts I have a new appreciation of the statement "cold to the bone". :coolblue:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '06 VRSCSE2 - Yellow & Silver
    • CVO2: '08 FLHRSE4 - Black & Silver
    • CVO3: '11 FLHXSE2 - Black & Orange
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 07:22:06 PM »

Spyder,

I broke down and bought Martha and myself the Gerbing heated liners and golves.  Feet started getting a little cold, but otherwise, had to keep turning the controllers down as we were both getting too hot and that was riding at about 30 degrees.  I'll admit it, I'm a wuss and like to be warm!  What a difference the liners make.  Now as long as road conditions allow, the cold won't be stopping us!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 24 queries.