Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: HEATED HARLEY CLOTHING QUESTION..  (Read 13612 times)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: HEATED HARLEY CLOTHING QUESTION..
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 07:38:48 PM »

Spyder,

I broke down and bought Martha and myself the Gerbing heated liners and golves.  Feet started getting a little cold, but otherwise, had to keep turning the controllers down as we were both getting too hot and that was riding at about 30 degrees.  I'll admit it, I'm a wuss and like to be warm!  What a difference the liners make.  Now as long as road conditions allow, the cold won't be stopping us!

What are 'liners'?  I passed thru Charlotte after riding from China Grove and the bank temp. sign was at 29 degrees.  The previous day I left G-boro at 27 degrees and facing a 30mph headwind.  That was the coldest of the two days due to the wind.  I used those 'heat pac' deals in gloves and boots and jacket pockets and they helped, but I'm due some electric help.......the older I get......the colder I get.  :coolblue: har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 07:54:24 PM »

What are 'liners'?  I passed thru Charlotte after riding from China Grove and the bank temp. sign was at 29 degrees.  The previous day I left G-boro at 27 degrees and facing a 30mph headwind.  That was the coldest of the two days due to the wind.  I used those 'heat pac' deals in gloves and boots and jacket pockets and they helped, but I'm due some electric help.......the older I get......the colder I get.  :coolblue: har!  spyder

Spyder, the "liners" are simply garments not designed to be worn as outer garments.  The jacket liner, for example, is something that strikes you intially as just heavier than a wind breaker type garment.  Except of course it's got all the heating elements in it.  Then you wear some other garment over the top to trap the heat in.

It may sound cumbersome.  But it isn't.  The weight of the overgarment also makes the heated liner more or less effective.  Even in days as you described above my liner with only a medium weight lined jackt over the top is plenty.  Actually far more comfortable that way than with any large thick heavy winter jacket.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 07:56:35 PM »

The liner are basically another thin jacket (like a inner liner to a jacket) very thin. I ride with the Liner only most days (still have outer jacket)
and I am very comfortable.  I rarely use the heated gloves on the Ultra, it has heated grips and a lot of wind protection.
never had a need for the heated socks or pants. The Liner can roast my N#ts off.
I was traveling when one in our group dropped his ultra in a busy intersection. I jumped off my bike to help only to forget
I was all wired up.....So I pulled out my wiring and controls. Trying to get out of the intersection I stuffed all of the wiring back up my jacket including the control. I hooked up and rode on, then the trouble began, I realized I must have turned the control all the way up in getting it back together. I am riding with a big group and do not want to stop, but i cannot get to the control .....I thought I was going to catch fire it was so hot........never will do that again
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 01:10:34 PM by FLHTCUSE3 »
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2008, 07:56:52 AM »

I have dual controllers on both mine and hers.  That way, we can control our jackets seperate from the pants liners...........although we've never wore the pants liners through two seasons.  Guess I ought to consider selling them and the electric socks. :nixweiss:
JCZ, I am pretty sure it is your set up that I thought was the best looking.  Do you have the pic of how you set it up for your heated gear to plug into your bike?  I thought is was the a clean install look. 

mtluvtap

• CVO1: 08 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2008, 09:58:37 AM »

We got the HD heated vests after considering the jackets.
Decided the vests would take less packing room when we travel and
the jackets might be too hot in the 30-45 degree range.
With the heated seat, handgrips, heated torso from the vests,
the heat that moves into the helmet from the vest, and our leathers,
we're comfy well into the teens and perfect in the 30's and low 40's.
Keep the core warm and the extremities will stay warm.
2 weeks ago we rode home for 2 hours in a driving rainstorm at 38 degrees dressed like this,
plus our rainsuits and loved it. Can't wait to do it again.
And yes, we will be packing our vests on trips from Montana except maybe in August.

2008 FLHTCUSE3
SCREAMIN' EAGLE ULTRA CLASSIC ELECTRA GLIDE
Canyon Copper and Stardust Silver

"No Packed Snow....Mount Up and Go"

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2008, 10:00:53 AM »

2 weeks ago we rode home for 2 hours in a driving rainstorm at 38 degrees dressed like this,
plus our rainsuits and loved it. Can't wait to do it again.
Harley riders just aren't quite right. LOL
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2008, 11:23:24 AM »

JCZ, I am pretty sure it is your set up that I thought was the best looking.  Do you have the pic of how you set it up for your heated gear to plug into your bike?  I thought is was the a clean install look. 

That reminded me of something Candy.  Need to order another of those power connector and bracket kits for the SERG like is on the SEEG so the tender and all the accessories are quickly and simply interchangeable.  Where's the credit card :nixweiss: ?

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2008, 12:32:33 PM »

HEY GUYS...  WELL ITS 28 OUTSIDE TODAY IN NY AND VERY VERY SUNNY!! PERFECT DAY FOR A RIDE....  PERFECT BECAUSE MY LOVING WIFE BOUGHT ME A PAIR OF GERBING HEATED SOCKS FOR VALENTINES DAY AND I GOT THEM IN THE MAIL LAST NIGHT.

HERS MY QUESTION,  I NOW HAVE THE HARLEY HEATED JACKET LINER, HARLEY HEATED PANTS AND HARLEY HEATED GLOVES.
I HAD HARLEY INSTALL THE HEATED GEAR LEAD DIRECTLY TO THE BATTERY AND I HAVE THE HARLEY 2 SWITTCH THERMOSTAT I USE. 

NOW WITH THE ADDITION OF THE SOCKS WILL I BE OK WITH THE AMPERAGE?  I DONT WANT TO BLOW A FUSE OR HAVE THE BIKES BATTERY BLOW ON ME WHILE IM RIDING.  I DO NOT KNOW WHAT SIZE FUSE IS IN THE LEAD FROM THE HEATED CLOTHING LINE TO THE BATTERY.

THANKS GUYS..... 

Make sure you know the guy who does it.  A mate of mine got his pal to do it and he ended up earthing the bike.   I'm told his balls were sparking in his leather chaps which probably explains why he now spends his money in the red light district. :nervous:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2008, 11:04:19 PM »

Anyone know of any 'best deals' on Gerbing stuff going on now?  (I've procrastinated, as usual, and now that it's getting cold and I have now heated gear.......)  :nervous:  har!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2008, 11:10:03 PM »

Have never seen it on sale anywhere. Would love to save some $ myself, am in need of two sets, one for me and one for the wife. Do see it on ebay occasionally but it always sells for near list.

OILCAN1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2008, 09:21:48 PM »

It was 26 degrees this morning when I left for work. With HD heated jacket and gloves and the nylon FXRG coat and pants I was just fine. I would like to try the heated pants but I get along fine without them so I don't see the need to spend the money. Oh yea and I typically am not a helmet person(It's great living in a state with no helmet laws) but the only way to ride when it's cold is a full face helmet and a good baclavia.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2008, 09:23:22 PM »

I'm sorry, I never saw this post until just now.  Just don't get to view all the posts anymore.....again, I'm sorry for the delay.

I think this is what you are referring to....   http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=4561.msg63192#msg63192

I just added the same BMW style recepticle to Terrie's Dyna.  She's a happy camper now.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 09:29:02 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2008, 09:31:59 PM »

Can't seem to get that link to post correctly.  Let me try again.....   http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=4561.msg63192#msg63192
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.