Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Comfort on Heated Socks?  (Read 7851 times)

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Comfort on Heated Socks?
« on: February 05, 2009, 02:53:46 PM »

During a local HD 20% off sale last fall I purchased the HD heated jacket, pants and gloves, they did not have the socks in stock. On really cold days I use the under armor top and bottom compression fit folowed by the Ulfrotte wool top and bottom then the heated gear with flannel lined jeans and a medium wt. Goretx jacket. This combination keeps me warm without the bulk. I can't stand being dressed like the Michelin Tire boy. I have asked before but never received a reply on the heated socks. Are they comfortable and easy to get used to or do they get all bunched up feel like crap.  My feet freeze real fast and those heat packs are a PIA. Anyone happy with their heated socks? Anyone?

By the way I installed the extra battery hook up on my Polaris ATV so when I plow I get my money's worth on the heated gear.

Thanks

Ray G.

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Re: Comfort on Heated Socks?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 04:34:05 PM »

I use the Gerbing heated equipment. Socks included. Now they even come out with a heated insole instead of socks. Check em out.........Fuzz

http://www.gerbing.com/Products/liners.php
Someday's you hit them like Jack Nicklaus and someday's like Jack Ass

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 05:19:29 PM »

Wife has them and doesn't like them she say the heat wire bother her feet if she walks very far with the socks on.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 07:20:24 PM »

My wife and I both have them. They work great but not good to walk to far. Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 11:59:37 PM »

I have two pair of Gerbing heated socks.  With & without wires on the bottom side.

In either case if you wear a pair of thin silk dress socks under them the heat better & are more comfortable.  I wear the ones with the wires under the bottm side most of the time here in NV.  They are anoying if you plan to walk a lot. If you are mostly riding, mnimal walking, with the silk sock underneath, they are just plain perfect!!
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 03:20:29 AM »

During a local HD 20% off sale last fall I purchased the HD heated jacket, pants and gloves, they did not have the socks in stock. On really cold days I use the under armor top and bottom compression fit folowed by the Ulfrotte wool top and bottom then the heated gear with flannel lined jeans and a medium wt. Goretx jacket. This combination keeps me warm without the bulk. I can't stand being dressed like the Michelin Tire boy. I have asked before but never received a reply on the heated socks. Are they comfortable and easy to get used to or do they get all bunched up feel like crap.  My feet freeze real fast and those heat packs are a PIA. Anyone happy with their heated socks? Anyone?

By the way I installed the extra battery hook up on my Polaris ATV so when I plow I get my money's worth on the heated gear.

Thanks

Ray G.

Why are you wearing all those clothes under your heated gear?  The closer the gear is to your body, the warmer it keeps you.  I know with my TourMaster gear, they recommend a thin t-shirt underneath only.  I rode about 200 miles today in 20 to 30 degree weather with a t-shirt, heated jacket, and light leather jacket over it.  I had to keep the thermostat on low all day and didn't have the slightest chill whatsoever.  I don't even bother with the heated pants.  I just wear fleece lined jeans.  Again, if you are wearing the heated pants, I would think something thin underneath would allow you to feel the warmth of the heated pants better.  I've never used heated socks.  I actually use Toasty Toes that stick to the bottom of my socks.  They don't feel warm at all, but they keep your toes maintained at around 100 degrees or just slightly higher than normal body temperature.  I'm not real crazy about them if I am going to be doing any amount of walking, but then if it's cold enough for me to use them in the first place, I probably don't intend to walk alot.  Actually, I was just thinking about it and they aren't really that bad for walking.  It's actually when you take your boots off and walk around the house with just socks on your feet.  That's when they are not comfortable at all.  They're less than a buck at Walmart and I usually buy 6 or 8 packs of them at a time, which reminds me...I used my last pair today and have to grab some more.  Then of course, there's the heated gloves...what a blessing those things are.  I guess all I'm saying at the beginning above is that compared to me, you are dressing like the Michelin Man.  When I wear just the tee under the heated jacket, I am at full heat in under a minute.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 06:45:51 AM »

May I recommend UnderArmour for the base layer then the heated gear. I use level 1 for normal cold and level 3 for real cold days
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 10:32:08 AM »

Sorry for the confusion, I made a mistake on my post. As most of you pointed out the heating system needs to be closer to the body for best results. I do the Under Armor first followed by the heated gear and then the layering of extra clothing depending on the conditions. Thanks for the correction.

Ray G.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 12:23:59 PM »

I ordered the heated insoles at the NYC bike show - have yet to get them as of 02/07/08.

I ordered them because I didn't care for the wire under the foot socks I have. But I can say the socks work excellent.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 06:19:27 PM »

I ordered the heated insoles at the NYC bike show - have yet to get them as of 02/07/08.

I ordered them because I didn't care for the wire under the foot socks I have. But I can say the socks work excellent.
I sure hope you get them and can try 'em out before it turns warm weather, 'cause I, for one, will be eagerly awaiting your performance evaluation, Duane.  :) spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Keith E.

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 07:57:28 PM »

Are they comfortable and easy to get used to or do they get all bunched up feel like crap.

I've got a pair of the Gerbing's Heated Comfort Socks and am sending them in for repair/trade-in after wearing them twice with one hand wash in between wearings. The wiring started to migrate out of the fabric of the socks up my legs. I was told that is the reason for the intro of the heated insoles and discontinuing of the heated socks.

As an aside they are very quick to heat and get HOT.

Keith

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 08:02:10 PM »

My insoles just came today 03/16

MV 2013

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 08:20:13 PM »

Are you already torn-down Duane or can you get us a quick assessment of the heated insoles?  :nixweiss: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 09:48:42 PM »

Are you already torn-down Duane or can you get us a quick assessment of the heated insoles?  :nixweiss: spyder

Here is what you get. Insoles, jumper wire (insoles to jacket), fuses and a battery hookup - typical Gerbing package

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 09:49:37 PM »

The item, made in China appears to be well made

MV 2013

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 21 queries.