Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FXRG--does it continue to be waterproof?  (Read 7603 times)

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
FXRG--does it continue to be waterproof?
« on: August 26, 2012, 09:25:24 AM »

I am taking a trip to Alaska next summer and want to get the Leather FXRG to use as my raincoat to decrease the amount of stuff I need to take.  Will it keep me dry?  How about those of you that have had them for 4+ years, do they continue to keep you dry or does the coating wear off?
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
Re: FXRG--does it continue to be waterproof?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 05:32:53 PM »

Got my FXRG Jacket and chaps Buffalo hide in 2001 and they are still waterproof (I have treated them once only with mink oil) and very warm with the liner in I even wear them in 110 degree heat on the long rides as the hide keeps the effect of the sun to a minimum and when I open the vents and wear the hydration vest stays cool for hours .. 
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 07:47:39 PM »

Hang them on a hanger in a well vented place and "COAT" them with 3M scotchgard for leather before you go or once a year. Use the spray on kind, RED cap I think. Buy it about anywhere, Walmart, Bass Pro Shop, about any sporting goods store etc. Great for anything leather, boots, gloves etc. Green cap for textile, I spray everything from our Rain gear to tents and honestly never have had a leakage problem since I started doing this once a year, pay extra attention to the seams and let it dry overnight. Amazing product, water will bead and run off without any adverse affect on the leather/textile.

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 12:18:27 AM »

Hang them on a hanger in a well vented place and "COAT" them with 3M scotchgard for leather before you go or once a year. Use the spray on kind, RED cap I think. Buy it about anywhere, Walmart, Bass Pro Shop, about any sporting goods store etc. Great for anything leather, boots, gloves etc. Green cap for textile, I spray everything from our Rain gear to tents and honestly never have had a leakage problem since I started doing this once a year, pay extra attention to the seams and let it dry overnight. Amazing product, water will bead and run off without any adverse affect on the leather/textile.

:2vrolijk_21:  3M Scotchgard for leather - great product!

Alesius

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 03:49:54 AM »

I had my FXRG for >4 years now and I'm very happy with it. Once or twice a year I treat it with S100 for leather.
It's still "waterproof", but with restrictions: e.g. a few weeks ago when I was riding in Scotland I had rain every day. Light rain wasn't an issue and the FXRG did well, but in heavy rain the water starts getting down on your back and between the bottom-end and pants. I was wet down to the underwear. So for heavy rain, I recommend you take an additional rain suit.

BALIS

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 07:06:51 AM »

I also have my FXRG leather for+/- 4 years and i do not recommend it for heavy rain.
I drove 250 miles last year in heavy rain from Morzine ( GTG ) to Dijon and my butt was wet to the underwear.
Same thing happens this year when I drove from Mulhouse,France to Pisa,Italy.
For heavy rain or cold weather,I recommend the FXRG touring jacket 98363-99E and the touring pants 98362-99E

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 12:22:29 PM »

Sounds like European rain may come down harder than US rain. I don't like that I would have to still take a raincoat anyway.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

firehog383

• Junior CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 06:14:07 PM »

I have the textile FXRG pants and jacket, and I still put rain gear over them when it rains really hard. But the textile seems to dry quicker than my friends leather FXRG jacket and pants. The only time I get wet through to my underwear is when it is raining so hard you cant see 30 feet in front of you and I really shouldn't be riding on the interstate in that weather anyway.

CoastyBear

• Is it spring yet?

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8A (0553 of 1100)
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 10:39:16 PM »

I live in the Tongass National (Rain) Forest in Southeast Alaska.  My dealer steered me away from the leather FXRG jacket becuase it supposedly gets real heavy when wet, but he did recommended the textile version.  I've been wearing the textile FXRG jacket and pants for 3 wet seasons now, including multi-day rides to the last 3 Alaska State HOG Rallies.  The gortex does it's job and I've never gotten truly wet, nor have I been cold wearing the gear.  I also recommend the leather/gortex FXRG gloves to go with.

So... riding to Alaska in 2012, huh?  Are you planning on going to the State HOG Rally in Fairbanks?  Maybe I'll se you there!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:42:35 PM by CoastyBear »

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 07:46:17 PM »

Pick up some of this and rub it on any of your leathers. You can find it at a shoe repair shop.
 It just may suppries you. I'm fairly sure you can get it over there

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=80330.0
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 07:48:54 PM by longlast »

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 10:36:15 AM »

Had my jacket since March 2005, never treated and still doing the job.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO Ultra Limited - 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (Traded)

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 03:31:41 PM »

Had my jacket since March 2005, never treated and still doing the job.

Roe to Fairbanks and back in 2007 from Western PA.  10,000 miles round trip more of less.  Did the Alaska Highway.  Great trip!  Lot's of great scenery. Here's my recommendation: Take gortex rain gear and let it double for outer cold weather gear and use a heated jacket liner for warmth rain or shine.  Use as much Under Armour type garments as possible for close to your skin.  It saves weight and space and is easy to wash in the hotel sink at night.  Make sure your boots are water proof.  Buy a copy of Mile Post the Alaska Highway mile by mile guide.  It is big but worth the investment.  We didn't make advance reservations but that's not for everyone.  Have a great time and don't forget insect repellent the mosquitoes are brutal!
Do it now!

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 10:06:09 PM »

FXRG, for leather, is about as good as it gets at being rain resistant. But no teatment will last forever. A yearly spray of 3M Scotchgard for leather, I think it is the red colored can will make the coat as waterproof as it can be. Hang it on a hanger and spray it outside or where it is WELL ventilated and let it dry overnight. A Great product, also works well on "water-proof" leather boots, gloves etc.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 10:23:39 PM »

Fox Creek Leather (all my leathers) have some cleaner/conditioner and another conditioner that is kind of like Snow Seal back in the days before Gore Tex.  It works well too for keeping leather as dry as it will be.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 21 queries.