Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: What is the latest rain gear recommendation?  (Read 5835 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: What is the latest rain gear recommendation?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 10:32:03 AM »

I've been using a pair of bib type pants for years that are actually made for snow skiing. They are Gore-Tex (or the equivalent breathable/waterproof material), have suspenders, and because they are ski related, have a tougher fabric on the lower inside portion of the pants legs to stop abrasion/wear from ski boots.  I've had them for well over 10 years and have worn them skiing, riding, fishing, and camping.  Waterproof zippers that go all the way up the outside seam for ease of putting on/taking off. Arc'teryx is the brand.  They are not cheap, however.  I also have their jacket shell, but it is impractical for a motorcycle due to the hood, so I purchased a HD Pack Lite Gore Tex jacket I found on sale and it has served me well.

Whatever you buy, just make sure it's breathable fabric similar to Gore Tex or you might as well just ride without in hot weather, 'cause you'll sweat so much you'll get wet from the inside out.  Coated fabric is like being in a Sauna.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 10:59:55 AM »

Tourmaster Sentinel

Have heard great things bout this stuff. Went to the site and was shocked at the prices.....cheaper than most. Can anyone give some more real life experience? I got some money I ain't even spent yet. :apple:
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 11:12:07 AM »

Have heard great things bout this stuff. Went to the site and was shocked at the prices.....cheaper than most. Can anyone give some more real life experience? I got some money I ain't even spent yet. :apple:

I have the gore-tex lightweight jacket and pants.  Have only ridden twice in a downpour but the suit was absolutely waterproof and kept you warm.  Rode in Maggie Valley in warm, light rain.  The suit does not make you too hot.  Very compact when stored.  It's the only rain suit I have used so I can compare to others but it has worked very well for me.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 11:44:53 AM »

I haven't personally used them, but I have never heard a bad word spoken about any of the Tourmaster gear.  I would not hesitate to purchase those Sentinel pieces.  And that is a really good price on that gear, probably because it is not branded with Gore Tex...most high end outdoor companies have come out with their own version of Gore Tex and it works the same way.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

tpb857

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Tri Glide
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Street Glide (traded)
    • CVO3: 2014 CVO Limited (sold)
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 04:44:55 AM »

I was looking pretty hard at the Tourmaster gear, but are more negative product reviews than I would like to see with them.

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2013, 09:02:07 AM »

I had a set of Frogg Toggs, used them one time then threw them away. They may be better now but that set came apart at the seams from the wind even at low speed. Needless to say I was cold, wet, and disappointed with still a long way to go before I could dry out. I now pack the HD Hi-Viz set, worked great the one time I used it. Just remember to let whichever set you decide on dry out, or throw it in the clothes dryer, before you pack it away again; any of them can and will mildew and get funky if you pack them away wet, even if they are barely damp.

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2013, 10:15:13 AM »

This picture shows you the suit I bought at my local Harley store.  I just rode in 500 miles of pouring rain and I couldn't be happier with this product.  He kept me dry, warm and has a hood in the collar that I put under my helmet to keep water from rolling down my back.  There was no sweating in this suit. Best money I ever spent.  :2vrolijk_21:

Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2013, 08:27:24 AM »

This picture shows you the suit I bought at my local Harley store.  I just rode in 500 miles of pouring rain and I couldn't be happier with this product.  He kept me dry, warm and has a hood in the collar that I put under my helmet to keep water from rolling down my back.  There was no sweating in this suit. Best money I ever spent.  :2vrolijk_21:

Yep that is sure looks like the same suite my wife and I have.  I have spent more than one 400 t0 500 mile day in the rain in that suite.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2013, 11:38:09 AM »

I have to say just seeing the HD sticker in the back window of the tow truck would make me feel like a little better about having to be towed. At least better than the last one I got, a beat up old Ford Aerostar van and trailer that barely made it to my house.  :huepfenlol2:

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2013, 01:00:17 PM »

I have to say just seeing the HD sticker in the back window of the tow truck would make me feel like a little better about having to be towed. At least better than the last one I got, a beat up old Ford Aerostar van and trailer that barely made it to my house.  :huepfenlol2:

This guy was really good!  He got to us when he said he would, loaded the MC and strapped it within 30 mins and once we got to the dealer he only required a signature.  Offered to drop Renay at the hotel since he was driving by it on his way home if they needed to keep her MC over night.  He was a Class Act.    :2vrolijk_21:
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 24 queries.