Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Too old for a sport bike?  (Read 10038 times)

Schnobel

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 aka The Bee
Too old for a sport bike?
« on: April 30, 2015, 12:12:44 PM »

I have had the itch of late to get a sport bike. Not going to track it or anything and not even sure what I want. Haven't owned one since I was 18 and that wasn't a pure crotch rocket but a '85 Honda Nighthawk 700S. Loved that bike and was a hoot to drive.

So now I am in my late 40's and haven't worn any baseball caps backwards in years. :huepfenlol2: Regardless, like soooo many of us that like the feeling of accelerating and carving up a good twisty road, the CVO even with an upgraded motor really isn't built for that.

Going 200mph or having a bike capable of it isn't that important to me. Having something that handles great and can accelerate like a bullet is more inline with what I think is fun.

My wife thinks I'm nuts and too old for that kind of bike. What do you all think?

Same topic, suggestions as to what kind of bike may meet my needs? Ducati Monsters have always caught my eye. BMW K1200R looks like an interesting bike or a Buell 1125CR? Pure crotch rocket or a "sport" bike?

Any insight, suggestions or advice is welcome.

ultrarider123

Re: Too old for a sport bike?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 12:59:41 PM »

I'll chime in first.....I've researched this bike a bit lately and like it.  Still a twin, a more laid back rider stance but a Duc.  Just throwing another option out there for ya.... :2vrolijk_21:

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/diavel/diavel/index.do

Schnobel

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 01:06:02 PM »

I'll chime in first.....I've researched this bike a bit lately and like it.  Still a twin, a more laid back rider stance but a Duc.  Just throwing another option out there for ya.... :2vrolijk_21:

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/diavel/diavel/index.do

Funny, I just discovered that model last night and it does check all of the fun boxes! More upright riding position, accelerates like a banshee yet can still corner. A good suggestion.  :2vrolijk_21:

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 01:53:22 PM »

Well crap if your late 40 and I'm 55 then I am way to old for a sport bike. Tell your young hot and eternally youthful wife (just funning) she is right this time so your getting a Ferrari F430 or an Aston Martin V12 Vantage. Surely those cheap toys are beneath a man of your age and wisdom.

The only thing that might be problematic about the sport bike is that I hear that your IQ drops 30 points when you swing your leg over one. Mine would drop 40.

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 02:09:37 PM »

I would love to have another sport bike, but I turn into a 14 year old when I get on one. I opted to buy a street glide and i've built a hot motor for it and so far it's giving me that speed fix. It's a 107 cu in and it will spank my two buddies that have 120's on their bikes. It's not a crotch Rocket but it's fun as hell outta the hole.
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 02:22:53 PM »

Would this sport bike be your only bike or just an addition?
I have a friend that is in his 60s and loves his sport bike for solo riding. He loves the looks he gets when he removes his full face helmet and others see how old he is riding one. He loves the handling of the sport bike and even though his adult riding started with Harleys he now considers them like tractors. He has several bikes and never understands those who have multiple bikes of the same style and brand, to him you need variety so if he goes on a long trip or rides with his wife he has a Honda touring bike for room and comfort.
He does admit to his age at times when riding the sport bike that he has aches and pains in his wrist and back from the crouching position.
Just my .02 but if you can afford it and are comfortable on one , get it and enjoy while you can. You may find higher insurance rates due to accident rates for that style bike or high theft claims in general. You may also draw some police attention too if there is a "problem" in your community with reckless riders on that style of bike.

Schnobel

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 02:26:53 PM »

I would love to have another sport bike, but I turn into a 14 year old when I get on one. I opted to buy a street glide and i've built a hot motor for it and so far it's giving me that speed fix. It's a 107 cu in and it will spank my two buddies that have 120's on their bikes. It's not a crotch Rocket but it's fun as hell outta the hole.

I built my King to do the same. 0-60 would wax most crotch rockets in a straight line but well, you know the rest they just can't do. Would scrape the floor boards all the time and brakeing not much better.  :-\

Schnobel

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 02:32:14 PM »

Hah, I would probably turn into a 14 year old as well. Been 10 years since I bounced down the pavement and that's what the wife is worried about! We all turn off the brains natural "MORON SWITCH" when we throw a leg over these kind of machines. Same as snowmobiling. Seemed like a good idea at the time to go 80-90 MPH through the woods with your buddies 10 ft behind you doing the same thing. No chance of anything going wrong there! :huepfenlol2:

Schnobel

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 02:34:57 PM »

Would this sport bike be your only bike or just an addition?
I have a friend that is in his 60s and loves his sport bike for solo riding. He loves the looks he gets when he removes his full face helmet and others see how old he is riding one. He loves the handling of the sport bike and even though his adult riding started with Harleys he now considers them like tractors. He has several bikes and never understands those who have multiple bikes of the same style and brand, to him you need variety so if he goes on a long trip or rides with his wife he has a Honda touring bike for room and comfort.
He does admit to his age at times when riding the sport bike that he has aches and pains in his wrist and back from the crouching position.
Just my .02 but if you can afford it and are comfortable on one , get it and enjoy while you can. You may find higher insurance rates due to accident rates for that style bike or high theft claims in general. You may also draw some police attention too if there is a "problem" in your community with reckless riders on that style of bike.

No, just an occasional toy to get up the heart rate. Keeping the CVO. Used these bikes are CHEAP! For $5-8K one can buy a lot of bike.

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 02:57:41 PM »

I do not ride them, but I have friends in mid-sixties that ride them a lot.  They gave up H-D years ago. 

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 03:03:11 PM »

Sold my Buell 1125R last summer.  Loved that bike, but it was an orphan and the values were starting to drop.  Paid $4800 for it new, put $800 worth of go-fast mods on it, sold it for $5500, not bad.  I never lost a drag race with that bike.  Some kids at my workplace have Jap crotch rockets and I would make them look stupid every time.  I am now looking for a replacement.  The KTM 1290 Superduke just may do it.  185 HP of insanity.  Plus, I have 2 other KTMs and they are the pinnacle of craftsmanship.  I am 47 years old (still act like I'm 21) and I will lust after fast bikes (and sleds) until I die.

Schnobel

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 03:51:18 PM »

Sold my Buell 1125R last summer.  Loved that bike, but it was an orphan and the values were starting to drop.  Paid $4800 for it new, put $800 worth of go-fast mods on it, sold it for $5500, not bad.  I never lost a drag race with that bike.  Some kids at my workplace have Jap crotch rockets and I would make them look stupid every time.  I am now looking for a replacement.  The KTM 1290 Superduke just may do it.  185 HP of insanity.  Plus, I have 2 other KTMs and they are the pinnacle of craftsmanship.  I am 47 years old (still act like I'm 21) and I will lust after fast bikes (and sleds) until I die.

Don't know anything about KTM's. Have read Triumph Triples are supposed to be very good. Maybe a bit to much "arse" in the air for me. Think I want something more traditional and not all lean forward.

The Buell's are still in that $45-5500 range. Don't know how hard it is to get parts for them or realizability is.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 08:12:45 PM »

Personally I would recommend the Ducati Monster in either the 800 or 1200 cc form  :2vrolijk_21:

I have a 1996 Ducati 900 SS/CR and as much as I love to take 'er out the aggressive ergos are such that after an hour or so I'm ready for a break. A few folks I know have the Monster and the riding position is relaxed (for a Duc) and it will accelerate and handle extremely well - and will let you scare yourself silly just as well as a full on sport bike.

If buying used make sure all the recommended maintenance has been done - ask to see the records - as a disrespected eyetalian mistress can be very vengeful, and expensive to make happy again. The newer Ducs have a longer interval between valve adjustments which helps defray maintenance costs - my '96's recommended valve adjustment interval is every 7500 miles but it does take me several years to reach those because the Duc is a toy I take out maybe once or twice a month just to get my fix  ;)

BTW I'm not exactly a young guy(early fifties) but sometimes I refuse to act my age  :huepfenlol2:
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 08:28:28 PM »

I am in my mid 50"s and I have my eye on one of these. http://motusmotorcycles.com/
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 08:52:04 PM »

Do it!  I am older than you and still have a sport bike next to the other bikes. Duc 999.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.