Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Author Topic: High Speed Wobble CRASH  (Read 10137 times)

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
Re: High Speed Wobble CRASH
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 09:09:15 AM »

I went down on my Goldwing GL1100 in 1985 from a tank slapper in a curve.  The bad news is I was on the back letting a friend drive it.  He came into the curve too fast and had to hit the breaks hard before leaning it in.  He ended up in one ditch I ended up in the other.  It's never happened on my HD but I ride a little more cautious than I used to.....
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 09:14:07 AM »

;D ;D :znotworthy: :znotworthy: I've been there, but for time that can be measured by counting Mississippis, not minutes.  ;D

:indian_chief:
  em

eye

es

es

eye

es

es

eye

pee

pee

eye

OK,  I may have held it for a few seconds longer than that.   :huepfenjump3: ;D  But really, I was always trying to diminish that distance between myself and my husband as he was bee bopping to his music and not realising that the great divide was enlarging between us.   ;D

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 09:18:13 AM »

em

eye

es

es

eye

es

es

eye

pee

pee

eye

OK,  I may have held it for a few seconds longer than that.   :huepfenjump3: ;D  But really, I was always trying to diminish that distance between myself and my husband as he was bee bopping to his music and not realising that the great divide was enlarging between us.   ;D

Well, I was on I-75 going through Marietta at the time and didn't think keeping it pegged in the left lane was the best decision, so I backed off. I'm sure I shocked a few cagers in the process.  ;D

:indian_chief:

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 09:21:04 AM »

and that's your story and your sticking to it.

I've only exceeded the speed limit for milliseconds and only to avoid a possible problem to keep myself and others safe.  Honest.   ;)

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2008, 09:26:09 AM »

Saw something awhile back when CHP was evaluating Harley's for a new fleet purchase where they talked about the high speed wobble and how they would not purchase the bikes because of that,  will look around and see if I can find it.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 09:27:10 AM »

Yea, Candy...the only time mine might "wiggle" just a little bit is 85-90 in big sweepers like interstate exchanges.  Loosening up the grip on the bars helps. 
Yep, me too on those.....I think the undulating road-surface actually might be what induces it in those sweepers.  JMHO.  Who knows actually what causes 'em, or what works to stop 'um.....all I know is they're scary as chit if they start suddenly.  :nervous:   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2008, 09:45:19 AM »

I never thought about it as this when I bit the dust this past summer in Nelson with Cindy on the back but what tossed us was a tank slapper in the sand.

I braked in the corner, obviously was going to hit a giant chuck hole, eased to the right to get around it braking front and rear and got the tank slap going onto the shoulder/parking strip.  I just figured they do that when over cooked in a corner and braking hard etc.

Never thought of it as a defect of the bike in that case (only of the dumbass rider ME).  Maybe I have another excuse?  Nah, just the dumbass rider in my case I guess.

The tank slapper wasn't any fun though and it gave me no chance to control a role out to a stop.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2008, 09:51:45 AM »

Very few have ever come out good on a 'tank-slapper'.....I've seen lots of professional riders (racing) get tank slappers and most go down.  Just too violent and quick to re-gain control.  :( spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2008, 09:58:17 AM »

Very few have ever come out good on a 'tank-slapper'.....I've seen lots of professional riders (racing) get tank slappers and most go down.  Just too violent and quick to re-gain control.  :( spyder

I'd agree Spyd, Cindy said afterward I must have told her to hold on 15 times in 5 seconds and it was over, dumped my a$$ and tossed her too.  She had some road rash (first time ever riding in a T-shirt for her).  Doubt she would have had any visible damage other than the scuff on her helmet if she'd had any kind of a sleeved garment on.

I still have a mark (dark spot) on my shin from the contusion I got when my leg kicked some part of the bike in the fall.

I seldom notice anything from the twisted knee etc. that I got.  Don't plan on doing it again.  First time I'd been down in 40 years of riding.  Really pizzed me off, but all turned out ok.  We rode away from it so I guess any crash you can ride away from is good in that sense anyway.  I was just a bit too aggressive for the quality of the road surface and it bit me.

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2008, 10:03:13 AM »

...I still have a mark (dark spot) on my shin from the contusion I got when my leg kicked some part of the bike in the fall.

I seldom notice anything from the twisted knee etc. that I got.  Don't plan on doing it again.  First time I'd been down in 40 years of riding.  Really pizzed me off, but all turned out ok.  We rode away from it so I guess any crash you can ride away from is good in that sense anyway.  I was just a bit too aggressive for the quality of the road surface and it bit me.

Wow,  that is a long time for a bruize, isn't it?  So glad is was not worse. Your right.  If you ride away from a downing, it is good.  Glad the knee is not bothering you too. 

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2008, 10:09:00 AM »

Wow,  that is a long time for a bruize, isn't it?  So glad is was not worse. Your right.  If you ride away from a downing, it is good.  Glad the knee is not bothering you too. 

Thanks Candy, no problem with the knee now, it took several months though, of course Cindy always asks what the Doc said.....I just give her a knowing smile and chuckle a bit.  I maybe should have had it looked at, but they would have just said to sell the bike and stay of the knee.  If I'd done that how the hell would I get to Sedona and be able to sit on top of a ten thousand foot mountain to watch elk during hunting season? 

Sell the bike....NOT.  :bananarock:

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2008, 10:27:06 AM »

Thanks Candy, no problem with the knee now, it took several months though, of course Cindy always asks what the Doc said.....I just give her a knowing smile and chuckle a bit.  ...
Well, watch it still.  Jamey never heeded the docs warning about taking it easy after a couple of breaks in his back, and at a very young 46, he's pretty crippled up now.  It sucks when the body can't execute what the mind wants to accomplish.  We'll see you in Sedona this spring. Can't wait. 

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2008, 10:44:22 AM »

Well, watch it still.  Jamey never heeded the docs warning about taking it easy after a couple of breaks in his back, and at a very young 46, he's pretty crippled up now.  It sucks when the body can't execute what the mind wants to accomplish.  We'll see you in Sedona this spring. Can't wait. 

Hey Candy...those are lyrics to a Little Feat song:  ;D ;D ;)

Old Folks Boogie

Off our rockers, actin' crazy
With the right medication we won't be lazy
Doin' the old folks boogie
Down on the farm
Wheelchairs, they was locked arm in arm
Paired off pacemakers with matchin' alarms
Gives us jus' one more chance
To spin one more yarn

And you know that you're over the hill
When your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill
Doin' the old folks boogie
And boogie we will
'Cause to us the thought's as good as a thrill

Back at the home,
No time is your own,
Facillities there, they're all out on loan
The bank forclose, and your bankruptcy shows
And your credit creeps to an all-time low
So you know, that you're over the hill

Try and get a rise from an atrophied muscle,
And the nerves in your thigh just quivers and fizzles
So you know, that you're over the hill
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2008, 10:47:42 AM »

I never thought about it as this when I bit the dust this past summer in Nelson with Cindy on the back but what tossed us was a tank slapper in the sand.

I braked in the corner, obviously was going to hit a giant chuck hole, eased to the right to get around it braking front and rear and got the tank slap going onto the shoulder/parking strip.  I just figured they do that when over cooked in a corner and braking hard etc.

Never thought of it as a defect of the bike in that case (only of the dumbass rider ME).  Maybe I have another excuse?  Nah, just the dumbass rider in my case I guess.

The tank slapper wasn't any fun though and it gave me no chance to control a role out to a stop.

You'd just used everything up you had available, Rog.  Just so glad you guys came out relatively unscathed, and the scoot was not badly damaged.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2008, 10:49:57 AM »

Hey Candy...those are lyrics to a Little Feat song:  ;D ;D ;)

Old Folks Boogie

...So you know, that you're over the hill

:D :D :D :D :huepfenjump3: :bananarock:

That's a good one.   Thanks Terry.   ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.