Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Author Topic: High Speed Wobble CRASH  (Read 10182 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: High Speed Wobble CRASH
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2008, 05:35:10 PM »

You don't even have to be on a motorcycle to experience the wobble or a "tank slapper"; I've actually experienced a milder version on a bicycle way back in my past, and I remember working on several pick-up trucks in the mid 70's that had a similar front end shake after hitting a bump (plastic kingpin bushings, non-power steering, shook hard enough to break your wrist if you got your hand trapped in the steering wheel).  If you look at most racing bikes or off-road racing trucks, you will find a steering damper installed to help dampen the shaking movements and give you a chance to regain control.  Doesn't always help, but it's better than nothing.

Personally, I've experienced the milder form of wobble several times on my Harley, and every time it was at speeds over 80 mph while in a sweeping curve after hitting a slight bump.  The abnormally steep steering head angle and excessive trail of the FLH, which makes for excellent low speed handling for those parades, is the factor I tend to believe is the real problem.  It doesn't create the initial instability, it just doesn't effectively dampen the motion after other factors initiate it.  It is imperative with this front end that the steering head bearings be in excellent condition and properly adjusted.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

megavolt17

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2008, 01:46:33 PM »

I had a wobble at certain speeds on my Honda CB 360 (1974 I think), had to go above or below those speeds and I was fine.

On my 1998 Road Glide I had a front end wobble at 35 mph while slowing down, but it only happened if I was riding with my hands off the steering wheel.

I don't think you can categorize any particular bike as having a wobble problem. It seems to be unique and can be affected by tire pressure, tire condition, suspension condition, loading, etc.
Megavolt17

2008 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide (FLHTCUSE3)
105th Anniversary Crystal Copper and Black Onyx
HD High Intensity Discharge (HID) Dual Bulb Headlamp
HD Illuminated LED Windshield Molding Kit
HD Air Wing Tour-Pak Luggage Rack with Smoked Lens LED Rack Light
Küryakyn Panacea Blue Dot Smoked LED Taillights and Turn Signals
"Roll Your Own" SE Air Cleaner
SE Street Performance Touring Mufflers
SE Race Tuner
Traxxion AK-20 cartridges
Bitubo HD 300mm shocks

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2008, 04:31:45 PM »

You'd just used everything up you had available, Rog.  Just so glad you guys came out relatively unscathed, and the scoot was not badly damaged.

Yep TC, all of it and then some, the shop called and my new fender is in.  Picking it up will be the last bit of pain I have from the incident (probably the most too). :huepfenlol2: :bananarock:

mhjimh

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2008, 05:57:39 PM »

Thanks for the comments doesn't look like my friend is going to do to good on this one, he is blind in his right eye and the Doctors don't think it will come back. His face hit the road pretty hard on that side, not sure he'll recover mintally either. Very sad because he grue up in a side hack and his 81 year old dad still rides.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2008, 06:03:16 PM »

Thanks for the comments doesn't look like my friend is going to do to good on this one, he is blind in his right eye and the Doctors don't think it will come back. His face hit the road pretty hard on that side, not sure he'll recover mintally either. Very sad because he grue up in a side hack and his 81 year old dad still rides.

Really sorry to hear that your friend is in such tough shape Jim. 

Our thoughts and prayers go out for him.

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2008, 09:57:35 PM »

I remember all of the tank slapper problems with the early Gold Wings. Too many years have gone by to remember the years involved, but I do recall Honda came up with a fix which involved a fairly heavy weight that was retrofitted to the steering head. They found at the time that excessive weight on rear would make the front end light and facilitate the wobble.

rmarion

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2008, 12:15:33 AM »

I have it in my 06 F-350 Ford.....

I had it happen once while racing MX......... (had to change my shorts)

never on the HD, but I know it's there............

IMO, if your bike does not track straight with no hands........ your vunerable to the wooble.........

I hope your friend heals fast........
2006 FLHTCUSE - Candy/Black
SERT
SEAC
Branch Head Work
BP 595 cam gear drive
2:1 RB Racing Black Hole
Hawgwired Speakers & Amps
Rock & Roll Paint
Danny Grey Seat

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2008, 09:04:17 AM »

Jim,
Sorry to hear that your friend didn't come out of the accident better.  Our prayers go out to him and hope for the best possible recovery.
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2008, 09:48:19 AM »

Jim,
  Man, that's not good.  I'm real sad for him.  My hope is his mind can, and will return to normal.  Doctor's don't know everything.  As for the "wooble", I've experienced it at high speed on every Harley I've owned, since 1976, when I had a Super-Glide.  Can't remember it on the earlier Harley's.  Then, again, I don't remember much of anything back in those days.  In sort of a "fog", if you get my drift.  As I have posted here before, putting my left foot on the high-way peg, (I removed my lower-fairings), on the crash bar, totally eliminated the wobble on Ol' Maudie.  Most folks don't believe that, but OTIS has seen it in person.  I'm talking about WFO, for miles and miles, too!  It has to do with the aerodynamics, IMO.  Later--HUBBARD 
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2008, 11:35:45 PM »

Sorry to read of your friend's experience...there have been plenty of statements made regarding this matter and I for one have them on both CVOs.  It is my belief that there are many reasons for them and perhaps not a single one of them.  I have grown to know when they will occur and prepare myself to work them out.

GOD speed on the recovery.

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2008, 06:07:15 AM »

Really sorry about what happened to your friend. Fortunately I haven't felt the wobble in the two baggers that I have had........Hopefuly your friend recover soon.....

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2008, 11:15:51 AM »

I just reread a article from Bike Works Sept 06 on dresser wobble.

Daytec Center in Hesperia, CA did the work, I'll try to give a condensed rundown of what they found and what they did.

They worked on a 01 Dresser, it had a highspeed wobble starting at about 85mph, also in highspeed sweeping turns, it already had a Tru-Track stabilizer on the bike.

- First they put the bike on a level frame lift, I think it was made to do this work, got the bikes frame level.
- Some initial measurements were taken, to make sure the rear wheel was adjusted in the swingarm properly, it was very close.
- Removed mufflers, front and rear tire, rear shocks.
- They connected an adjustable rod from the frame to one of the brake caliper mounting holes on the forks and adjusted it to is was held
   exactly straight with relation to the frame.
- They installed a new Daytec swing arm, the isolator bushings were pretty warn, so they were replaced when the swingarm was installed.
- the rear axle was installed and adjust as to where it would be correct with the swing arm if the wheel was on. Then an adjustable rod was attached
  from the upper frame to the rear axle and adjusted to hold it at correct ride height as the shocks were removed.
- using a trammel they measured from the center of the rear axle to the center of the swing arm pivot points, this was adjusted to get the axle exactly
  aligned in the swingarm.
- Then a longer trammel was used to check from the center of the rear axle to the center of the front axle, it was a 1/8 out.
- So since the rear axle was correct with the swingarm they needed to move the swingarm side to side, they removed the front motor mounting bolt, so
  they could adjust the front motor stabilizer side to side, which will in turn moves the trans and swing arm side to side like a rudder.
- The stabilizer was adjusted until the tramels showed that the distance between the center points on the front and rear axle meassured exactly the
   same on both sides, then locked down the stabilizer.
- Next the two bolts that hold the front motor mount were loosen so it could be realigned to match the change in the stabilizer. then the top bolt was
   installed to the motor, then the two bottom bolts were tightened down.
- The motor vertical alignment was checked and adjusted but the top motor stabilizer.
- Then everything was reinstalled and taken for a ride.

It fixed the wobble, most people won't do this at home, but just thought I'd share a really condensed overview of this article. If you have a wobble, you should get you bike to a competent shop that can do this alignment.
I still thing that some type of stabilizer, or added bushings are needed to take out some of the slop in the rubber mounted swing arm, but I'd get the alignment checked if you having a serious wobble first.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 11:18:47 AM by Talon »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2008, 12:13:46 PM »

thanks for posting this Talon.  It all sounds very 'reasonable' that the different bikes experiencing 'wobble' or not could be related to an 'alignment' problem.  I still believe that other things could cause wobble on our bikes whether rubber mounted or not.  But, every bit of actual data helps us figure this malady out.  :2vrolijk_21:   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2008, 12:20:56 PM »

thanks for posting this Talon.  It all sounds very 'reasonable' that the different bikes experiencing 'wobble' or not could be related to an 'alignment' problem.  I still believe that other things could cause wobble on our bikes whether rubber mounted or not.  But, every bit of actual data helps us figure this malady out.  :2vrolijk_21:   spyder

I've never tried this, but I have often read to use two 8' flourescent tubes to check the alignment. The tubes are vey straight and don't bend.

Lift the motorcycle and attach one tube on each side of the rear wheel. You can then look at how the tubes relate to the front wheel. They should be parallel and have the same gap on both sides. Depending on your tire widths, you may need to get creative. I don't know if this would be a good way to align the bike, but if there is an alignment problem, this may help you see it better.

:indian_chief:

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2008, 12:22:49 PM »

I agree, there are many things that can cause wobble, tires, tire pressure, fall away adjustment incorrect, but I have read several threads on this site, that people have tried many of the common cures, but still have a wobble. I have new tires but still have a weave in high speed sweepers. Just thought I'd throw this out, looks like the format screwed up a little when posted, oh well. Just an option, start with the easiest and cheapest first and work until you get it fixed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 22 queries.