Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Author Topic: High Speed Wobble CRASH  (Read 10181 times)

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
Re: High Speed Wobble CRASH
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2008, 12:23:48 PM »

I've never tried this, but I have often read to use two 8' flourescent tubes to check the alignment. The tubes are vey straight and don't bend.

Lift the motorcycle and attach one tube on each side of the rear wheel. You can then look at how the tubes relate to the front wheel. They should be parallel and have the same gap on both sides. Depending on your tire widths, you may need to get creative. I don't know if this would be a good way to align the bike, but if there is an alignment problem, this may help you see it better.

:indian_chief:
Here comes another FNG question sorry. Do the HD dealers do an alignment check prior to delivery??  :confused5:

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2008, 12:25:28 PM »

Here comes another FNG question sorry. Do the HD dealers do an alignment check prior to delivery??  :confused5:

No.

:indian_chief:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2008, 12:25:59 PM »

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :oops:

A surprising number of dealers don't have the right tools to do an accurate alignment test at all.  As for doing it during setup; that's just a an assembly.  If nothing's obviously broke they don't fix it.

mhjimh

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2008, 08:12:32 PM »

Thanks again everyone, the insurance totaled his bike and with all the info from every one I've come up with a list of problems that may have contributed to this. Hubbart he did have the canvis fairing lowers on, he had 150 miles on a new rear tire, the curve was a very slit curve with a crest on it, going to fast, had a few :drink:, the dealer that installed the rear tire had 4oz. of weight on it(was it really balanced), it was 32 degrees so I'm sure the tires where hard and possable under inflated, had a lot of crap in one saddle bag and tour pak and nothing in the other bag, this same bike had the frame replaced from hitting a deer 2 years ago(was it aligned), and the list of small thing go on. So I think everyone is right, any thing can start this off (and as said before we just need to figure out how to get out of it when it starts) and he is doing real good, wants me to go shopping with him in a few week for another bike :)!!

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2008, 08:55:40 PM »

... and he is doing real good, wants me to go shopping with him in a few week for another bike :)!!
The best news.  He will take it easy to begin with.  This will be a good thing.  Wow,  it was not sounding this good at first.  Thanks for keeping us up to date.

mhjimh

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2008, 09:12:53 PM »

The best news.  He will take it easy to begin with.  This will be a good thing.  Wow,  it was not sounding this good at first.  Thanks for keeping us up to date.

He does have a few reconstruction surgerys to go through so it may be more than a few weeks. He said it was like he was asleep for 3 weeks and is just now waking up.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2008, 09:24:16 PM »

He does have a few reconstruction surgeries to go through so it may be more than a few weeks. He said it was like he was asleep for 3 weeks and is just now waking up.

You know,  a few weeks, a few months, a few years ............. whatever it takes as long as it is progress.  Thanks and send all of our best wishes. 

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2008, 12:20:35 AM »

Yes, very good news.  I'm glad he's doing this well and hope he'll continue to improve.   :2vrolijk_21: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2008, 01:30:53 PM »

That's great news that he's starting to come along better...just tell him to let the healing happen naturally and don't push anything.  He'll be back on the road in no time if he does.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2008, 05:09:54 PM »

He does have a few reconstruction surgerys to go through so it may be more than a few weeks. He said it was like he was asleep for 3 weeks and is just now waking up.

Really sorry to hear about your friends accident.  I wonder about my new SERK as to how soon it will be, if ever, before I get the wobble.  I've thought about the stabilizers between the trans and frame, but even with them it sounds still like a crap shoot.

One thing I didn't see in any of the posts, maybe I missed, what type of helmet was he wearing; 1/2, 3/4, full etc.

Good luck to your friend and a speedy recovery.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

mhjimh

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2008, 07:29:42 PM »

One thing I didn't see in any of the posts, maybe I missed, what type of helmet was he wearing; 1/2, 3/4, full etc.

[/quote]Well, we where discusing that, on that day. And as he put it, it should be each individuals choice!! (He was not wearing a helmet) We both are very active in our local ABATE chapter and only wear them in states with a helmet law. This is just my oppinion but I don't think he'll wear one after this.

megavolt17

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2008, 08:15:14 AM »

Has anybody "upgraded" from a Road Glide to an Ultra (or SE Ultra)?   :confused5:  I would not say my bike handles badly, but it certainly does not feel as stable as my old Goad Glide did.  Wind affects it much more, and at low speed it does not feel as sure footed.  I am sure that part of this is that I need to get used to it (only drove it 300 miles before it got too cold/icy to ride).

Since it does not seem to pull to the right or left this is not likely an alignment problem, correct?  :nixweiss:  I thought the dealers (or HD) aligned the bikes before they sold them to us.  How would I know if I had a problem with the alignment?  I really have never had a wobble, at least not a bad one, but that is not on my to-do list!  :nervous:
Megavolt17

2008 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide (FLHTCUSE3)
105th Anniversary Crystal Copper and Black Onyx
HD High Intensity Discharge (HID) Dual Bulb Headlamp
HD Illuminated LED Windshield Molding Kit
HD Air Wing Tour-Pak Luggage Rack with Smoked Lens LED Rack Light
Küryakyn Panacea Blue Dot Smoked LED Taillights and Turn Signals
"Roll Your Own" SE Air Cleaner
SE Street Performance Touring Mufflers
SE Race Tuner
Traxxion AK-20 cartridges
Bitubo HD 300mm shocks

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2008, 08:58:27 AM »

Has anybody "upgraded" from a Road Glide to an Ultra (or SE Ultra)?   :confused5:  I would not say my bike handles badly, but it certainly does not feel as stable as my old Goad Glide did.  Wind affects it much more, and at low speed it does not feel as sure footed.  I am sure that part of this is that I need to get used to it (only drove it 300 miles before it got too cold/icy to ride).

Since it does not seem to pull to the right or left this is not likely an alignment problem, correct?  :nixweiss:  I thought the dealers (or HD) aligned the bikes before they sold them to us.  How would I know if I had a problem with the alignment?  I really have never had a wobble, at least not a bad one, but that is not on my to-do list!  :nervous:

M...I'm not sure I'd consider going from a RG to a UC an "upgrade", as their function is the same, but they are two really different bikes.  The low speed handling is because of the extra weight on the handlebars with the Batwing.  The Batwing is sorta like pushing a piece of plywood through the air at speed.  It is affected more by turbulence coming off of semi's, etc.  It's something you just get used to.  Regarding the dealer aligning the bike before delivery...when pigs fly!!  If you can take your hands off the grips on a FLAT road, and the bike does not pull one way or the other, alignment is probably OK, accounting for the crown in the road surface.  The Traxxion front suspension upgrade will help a LOT with both low speed handling, and tracking/handling in general.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2008, 09:11:26 AM »

M...I'm not sure I'd consider going from a RG to a UC an "upgrade",

Thank you T/C!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2008, 12:12:28 PM »

M...I'm not sure I'd consider going from a RG to a UC an "upgrade"

Thank you T/C!

:2vrolijk_21:

I'd be in the same choir.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 22 queries.