Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Author Topic: High Speed Wobble CRASH  (Read 10173 times)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: High Speed Wobble CRASH
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2008, 12:59:06 PM »

I'd be in the same choir.
I'd have to agree with that sentiment also. 

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

magic-rat

• Full CVO Member
    • Magic Rat Productions
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2008, 10:06:06 PM »

At Maggie Valley this year on the way home from a "gap" run, I watched a CVO Harley (Pete) do that.

I had cameras rolling but we were on a wide open 2 lane road with nobody around and he was in the lane next to me just off camera.

Essentially, it kicked in someplace between 90 and 110 mph on a very slight bend in the road ... max 10 degrees ... probably closer to 8 ... very subtle turn.  The bike seemed to kind of "resonate" ... sorta bounce about an inch up and down and maybe 1/4" to the right and left.

It was the back of the bike that was doing this (not the front) ... and it was very visible to me following on his back right.

I actually slowed down when I saw it because I wanted to put some distance between us in case he needed some space to recover.  He slowed down, too.  It definitely looked like it had the potential to turn into a tank slapper.

At the next stop, he told me it was a "known problem" and that when he felt it he backed off.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 10:10:49 PM by magic-rat »
-- Rat

"Ride to the sound of the guns."

Mikey

• 2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Get the gold, make the rules!

• CVO1: FLHRSEi2 2003
    • CVO2: FLTRUSE 2015
    • Classic Muscle Bikes
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2008, 10:56:13 PM »

My local dealer service department told me these bikes are not designed or tested to run 100 mph. Harley does not admit a wobble exists. I notice rear tire air pressure effects the wobble a lot.
I collect Classic Muscle Bikes, mostly three and four cylinder, and most of them have hand adjustable steering dampers on the steering stem. As Harley calls, adjusting the swing. Some have hydraulic steering dampers on the side also.
These are designed to prevent tank slap. The faster you ride the tighter they need to be. That stops the wobble. That might be a nice upgrade for Harley.
Mikey
GET THE GOLD, MAKE THE RULES!
2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
Limited Edition 100th Anniversary
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/gallery/452_21_04_11_11_12_33.jpg

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2008, 09:39:21 AM »

Has anybody "upgraded" from a Road Glide to an Ultra (or SE Ultra)?   :confused5: 

The wife went from her 01 SERG to the 06 CUSE and definnitely noticed a difference.  The SERG is MUCH more stable at speed than the CUSE (or ANY ultra, for that matter).  It handles better at low speed once you get over the size of the fairing in front of you.  One of the reasons the Goldwing does so well is it's frame mounted faring.  It doesn't push the bike around like a fork mounted one does.  You'll ONLY see frame mounted fairings on high speed bikes because of the handling abilities.  We met a couple at the 2002 Alaska State HOG rally on a new "Ultra Road Glide".  We got chatting with them and found the had a brand new Ultra, rode to one of the demo ride sites that year, road a Road Glide and immediately traded the Ultra for the Road Glide!  They couldn't believe the difference.  Ask the guys who ride the Road Glides, they'll tell you what's what!  If the moco would build a SERG with a full sized tourpak, CB and the other goodies you find on an Ultra, there'd be 2 in our drive.  The batwings LOOK better, but ain't chit when you want to "ride". ;)

arctic
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

megavolt17

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2008, 11:25:38 AM »

The wife went from her 01 SERG to the 06 CUSE and definnitely noticed a difference.  The SERG is MUCH more stable at speed than the CUSE (or ANY ultra, for that matter).  It handles better at low speed once you get over the size of the fairing in front of you.  One of the reasons the Goldwing does so well is it's frame mounted faring.  It doesn't push the bike around like a fork mounted one does.  You'll ONLY see frame mounted fairings on high speed bikes because of the handling abilities.  We met a couple at the 2002 Alaska State HOG rally on a new "Ultra Road Glide".  We got chatting with them and found the had a brand new Ultra, rode to one of the demo ride sites that year, road a Road Glide and immediately traded the Ultra for the Road Glide!  They couldn't believe the difference.  Ask the guys who ride the Road Glides, they'll tell you what's what!  If the moco would build a SERG with a full sized tourpak, CB and the other goodies you find on an Ultra, there'd be 2 in our drive.  The batwings LOOK better, but ain't chit when you want to "ride". ;)

arctic

After riding a Road Glide for 10 years I do notice a difference in the handling of my new Ultra Glide.  I like the look of the UG and the engine and brakes are a step up, but I do not like any wind or trucks at high speed.  It buffets so much when you are following a truck, or any large vehicle.  It fights going straight when there is a cross wind.

We had a warmer than expected day this past Thursday and I took my bike to work.  I road on I81 and took it to 75mph and there was a long stretch and I thought I'd see how it accelerated and give the engine a chance to break in at a higher speed.  I pushed it quickly to 90mph in 6th and as I passed a semi and was about to slow down and pull back into the slower lane I thought I was experiencing a wobble.  Once I finished the pass it stabilized and I had no problem with the rest of the trip.  I don't think it was a wobble, I think it was buffeting from the wind off the truck, but I am not 100% sure.  :o

I never thought about wind, cross wind, truck passing, etc. on my RG.  I am a bit anxious about what will happen the next time I pass a truck.  Does anyone make a kit to mount the Ultra's fairing to the frame?  If it's under $5,000 I'm doing it, no hesitation.  Are there any suspension or other parts I could add to lessen this buffeting effect?  :confused5:

I will probably get used to the handling, but I have to agree that I think this bike is inherently less stable then my last.  I will likely comply with doing the speed limit more often in the future.  The way I feel now if they come out with a SE Road Glide in the future I may trade for it.  I added an Ultra Kit to my old RG so I had the CB, rear tour pack, cruise control,etc.  This was not an enjoyable ride home!  :(
Megavolt17

2008 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide (FLHTCUSE3)
105th Anniversary Crystal Copper and Black Onyx
HD High Intensity Discharge (HID) Dual Bulb Headlamp
HD Illuminated LED Windshield Molding Kit
HD Air Wing Tour-Pak Luggage Rack with Smoked Lens LED Rack Light
Küryakyn Panacea Blue Dot Smoked LED Taillights and Turn Signals
"Roll Your Own" SE Air Cleaner
SE Street Performance Touring Mufflers
SE Race Tuner
Traxxion AK-20 cartridges
Bitubo HD 300mm shocks

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2008, 01:56:27 PM »

After riding a Road Glide for 10 years I do notice a difference in the handling of my new Ultra Glide.  I like the look of the UG and the engine and brakes are a step up, but I do not like any wind or trucks at high speed.  It buffets so much when you are following a truck, or any large vehicle.  It fights going straight when there is a cross wind.

We had a warmer than expected day this past Thursday and I took my bike to work.  I road on I81 and took it to 75mph and there was a long stretch and I thought I'd see how it accelerated and give the engine a chance to break in at a higher speed.  I pushed it quickly to 90mph in 6th and as I passed a semi and was about to slow down and pull back into the slower lane I thought I was experiencing a wobble.  Once I finished the pass it stabilized and I had no problem with the rest of the trip.  I don't think it was a wobble, I think it was buffeting from the wind off the truck, but I am not 100% sure.  :o

I never thought about wind, cross wind, truck passing, etc. on my RG.  I am a bit anxious about what will happen the next time I pass a truck.  Does anyone make a kit to mount the Ultra's fairing to the frame?  If it's under $5,000 I'm doing it, no hesitation.  Are there any suspension or other parts I could add to lessen this buffeting effect?  :confused5:

I will probably get used to the handling, but I have to agree that I think this bike is inherently less stable then my last.  I will likely comply with doing the speed limit more often in the future.  The way I feel now if they come out with a SE Road Glide in the future I may trade for it.  I added an Ultra Kit to my old RG so I had the CB, rear tour pack, cruise control,etc.  This was not an enjoyable ride home!  :(

The buffeting is never going to completely go away, but it can be MUCH, MUCH improved (the total stability of the bike) with the Traxxion AK-20 cartridge forks and better (Bitubo) rear shocks.  You would be amazed at how much different the bike feels with the fork upgrade.  On a RG, I would guess the difference in handling would be even more dramatic.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2008, 02:54:05 PM »

There is also one little (and cheap) thing that can help the buffeting on an EG a surprising amount.  It's that little wind baffle more commonly used on Road Kings.  58520-79TC.  This thing:

Hobo

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2008, 03:09:39 PM »

I added that to the SERG and it noticably helped the wind turbulance that comes from between the gas tank and fairing. Well worth the money weather it helps the wobble or not.

Hobo
2001 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide (FLTRSEI2)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2008, 03:20:35 PM »

Will it make my motor run cooler?  :nixweiss:  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Hobo

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2008, 03:50:29 PM »

I don't think it does, but did really help turbulance behind the winshield.

Hobo
2001 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide (FLTRSEI2)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2008, 03:55:44 PM »

It's chrome it doesn't have to. ;) :huepfenjump3: It is on a :pumpkin: I know of. :D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2008, 04:02:13 PM »

Definately will make the SEEG look cooler.   ;)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2008, 05:24:14 PM »

Who knows for sure :nixweiss: ?  It does help the turbulence.  It at least doesn't hurt engine temps; even with lowers on.

REGGAB

« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2008, 05:35:15 PM »

There is also one little (and cheap) thing that can help the buffeting on an EG a surprising amount.  It's that little wind baffle more commonly used on Road Kings.  58520-79TC.  This thing:

Really?  Stock?  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

REGGAB

« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2008, 05:36:49 PM »

It's chrome it doesn't have to. ;) :huepfenjump3: It is on a :pumpkin: I know of. :D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

OK..........I'll laugh at that.   ;)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 22 queries.