Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: What makes you stay where you live?  (Read 10670 times)

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
Re: What makes you stay where you live?
« Reply #120 on: January 24, 2009, 08:02:26 AM »

I moved back to Tennessee to four the natural beauty (hills & trees which I'm sure you've read about  8)) and for the seasons... among other reasons.

East TN, a great place to live for Bikers.  Great mountain roads, the Dragon and many more.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #121 on: January 24, 2009, 08:05:44 AM »

I'll be moving to NC, SC, or TN when my youngest finishes HS in 2010.  Don't panic, I'm bringing my guns, bikes, but leaving the Kennedys in MA+ NY.

When I retired from the Navy I looked at those three states.  NC and SC have much higher taxes than TN.  SC also has personal property tax on cars, boats, bikes and such.  Cost of living was lowest in TN. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Sean M Cary

« Reply #122 on: January 24, 2009, 10:31:19 AM »

When I retired from the Navy I looked at those three states.  NC and SC have much higher taxes than TN.  SC also has personal property tax on cars, boats, bikes and such.  Cost of living was lowest in TN. 
the taxes in NC are nuts...cannot wait to pull chocks here this summer!

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #123 on: January 24, 2009, 10:41:21 AM »

the taxes in NC are nuts...cannot wait to pull chocks here this summer!

Welcome mat is always out in AL, Sean.  Already got the USMC Flag flying ......  :2vrolijk_21:

Sean M Cary

« Reply #124 on: January 24, 2009, 01:19:20 PM »

Welcome mat is always out in AL, Sean.  Already got the USMC Flag flying ......  :2vrolijk_21:

VA later this year - then (potentially command and my Top Level School dictate the interim)?  Then FLORIDA for the final move...taxes are sane in NoFla for now.  I just wouldn't blend in with the Gator stickers all over the truck, the Gator Plates, the Gator clothing...someone would burn an Albert on our lawn in 'Bama.   :hanged:

Can't wait to get back home.  :smitten:

2PAK

• Full CVO Member
  • I'm not young enough to know everything.
« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2009, 02:10:56 PM »

Work and a past marriage has kept me here in the Seattle area.  There are many positives to living in the Seattle area but I grew up in Northern California so I've never liked the weather here and still don't.  My daughters live about 5 hours away in Spokane and the older I get, the less I like snow.  They are all married now with there own families.  They are in their mid 20's and very independent. 

I'm in the software industry and we're going through quite a shake out now.  If I lose my job, I know it will take 12-18 months to replace my income here.  I'm single, depending on what happens I may relocate myself to a warmer (sunny) climate, as the final reason for staying could be gone.  Unemployment is good in Washington State so that will help  :orange:

Pavetack

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #126 on: January 25, 2009, 09:38:34 AM »

We've lived in England for the past 3.5 years because that is where the Air Force needs me.  25+ years of moving all over the world and I would not change a thing.  I have ridden the beaches of Normandy and was on Omaha Beach and the American Cemetery to witness the wreath laying ceremony by WWII veterans and Secretary of Defense Robert Gates.  I've ridden the path of the 101st from Normandy to Bastogne and the "Battle of the Bulge" and into Germany stopping along the way to visit the many museums and to pay my respects at the cemeteries.   I've ridden Mt Rainier in Wash, Great Smokey Mountains in NC, Rocky Mountains, Mt Fuji in Japan and the Alps in Germany, Austria, France and Switzerland.  Those are priceless moments that I'll never forget.   

Thanks to the Air Force I have been given opportunities to do and see things that never would of happened if I stayed in the small NC town I grew up in.  We are coming the the end of a great AF career so our next move will be our last one, we looking to go to Arizona, Utah or New Mexico and put many more miles on bike.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #127 on: January 25, 2009, 01:45:36 PM »

yo, pave, thats a long time in the AF I only lasted 5 yrs. and just this morning there was a special on TV about the Iranian hostage crisis. today is the anniversary of their release. in the late 70's 6 from my unit died from a thwarted rescue attempt. Hadn't thought of it much till today. My wife yelled out " hide the guns and whiskey".
The places you have ridden are awesome.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

brhulen

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary #1009
    • CVO2: 2002 FLSTCI Jade Sun Glo Pearl
« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2009, 07:37:41 PM »

After I retired from the US Army in 1989 we returned to Alaska and we're still here.  The hunting, fishing, no state income tax, no sales tax, no property tax where we live, annual state dividend check, free hunting/fishing/trapping license after age 60 (10 months), live on a private air strip, the majestic views.  I could go on and on but you can begin to get an idea of why we live here.  Having said that we are beginning to look at downsizing and relocating to a warmer climate.  Seriously considering Whidbey Island, WA, but not sure we can afford to live there.  When the time comes we'll hook up the Airstream and just go looking.  We won't be in any hurry, just take our time to find the right place.  In the meantime though, there's no place like AK.
Brett in AK

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2009, 09:00:19 AM »

What makes me stay is the wife & family.  Couldn't pry the wife out of here with a crowbar especially since we now have grandkids...can't really blame her as they are oh so special.   I'd love to be somewhere south for the better riding weather...just not sure where that would be without running into so many people having the same idea.  Out here in the plains states we don't have the urban problems that many people have to put up with every day...so that's a plus.   I like having the "elbow room" to get away.   The hunting & fishing is good.  The winters are seemingly long and can be brutal at times...that's why some of us have snowmobiles.  The only thing to slow down the winter wind is South Dakota and North Dakota and I might remind my brothers from the north that they aren't doing a very good job containing said wind.  ;)   In the summer it's the exact opposite...only we blame Kansas & Oklahoma for that.  ;)  Our roads rank among the top in the nation and our taxes keep up a pretty good pace too.  That may be why we have a budget surplus unlike most states this year.  We don't have majestic mountains or ocean beaches for viewing as it is basically flat out here...you could drop a nickel and it could land on edge.  But, to ride through the sandhills in the spring when the native grasses are shooting up & wildflowers are in bloom and you are the only motorized vehicle out there for many miles...man, that is a sight to take in.  Otherwise, living here gives us a good excuse to travel/vacation to somewhere else.   

"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

HARLEYBILL

• Junior CVO Member
  • Vietnam Vet. 4th & 25th Infantry Divisions.
« Reply #130 on: February 02, 2009, 07:20:59 PM »

My family-two daughters.
Oh yeah,I have a job here!
Here is Nothern NJ and although I hate the winter months, the other three seasons are really cool to go through.
We're congested as hell here but I guess we're spoiled rotten by all of the conveniences and opportunities in the NYC metropolitan area. Within an hour you can leave the city life behind and get some great riding in Pa and New England when the time allows.
As long as I can afford to live here I will and still visit the fantastic places that other membersof this forum call home. :coolblue:
2009 FLTR
H/D Tuner,V/H Monster Ovals
That's all you need brother!

karl

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE-sold
« Reply #131 on: February 04, 2009, 09:57:44 AM »

My nasty mother-in-law.....  ;D...... just kidding honey...  Really work, family etc.  We would both like to live in the Carolina's or Georgia.  Longer riding season, we can deal with the humidity.

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2009, 06:08:01 PM »

Well originally my work. Because of the Gold Coast aka Greenwich.CT for work. The money is ridiculous. Also my wife can't leave her family behind. I would move to a warmer climate tomorrow. I hate winter. I love money so work drives my home. No matter where you move your home never changes.  Later,Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

Screamin'Eagle~Sweetie

• CVO1: FXTSSE3- Black and Emerald Green Ice
« Reply #133 on: February 07, 2009, 08:02:45 AM »

Good job for husband and me, though we could find those elsewhere... and family, eh  :nixweiss: sometimes I wish I WERE a thousand miles away, but I LOVE the home and land and the life we have created thus far  :orange:
Screamin'Eagle~Sweetie

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #134 on: February 10, 2009, 09:14:03 AM »

The voices.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 21 queries.