Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: What makes you stay where you live?  (Read 10582 times)

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
Re: What makes you stay where you live?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 08:39:30 PM »

Like JC I am a native and so is Lil-Bit. We have so much here, you all say " How do you handle those earthquakes "?  Well, we don't have a season for them!!!! Plus we have JC, Ernie, Kimberly, Jim, Don, Soozie, Marty, Paula, Andy, Steve, Van, Mike, and so many more. Friends like these as well as family is what keeps us where we are, in the GETTO!

pado

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: Longhorn
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 08:45:43 PM »

I'm 2 hrs from : Charlotte, Raleigh, Columbia, Myrtle beach. 

BUT

2 min from : favorite bar, restaurant, friends, and golf course.

My bike connects me with the outside world.
Founding Member and Zen Master of Pondering, Hankering and Moseying Society with all accolades and privileges

Charter Member of CVO Critter Gawking Society

Master Bloody Mary Mixologist

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 08:45:56 PM »

Interesting that somebody should post this.  I have spent the last 2 months bitchin' about the weather and declaring my desire to move out of here.  However, like most people, this is where i grew up.  I have all of my close family here.  I have an ex-wife with 2 kids.  I could care less about the ex, but the kids I dearly love.  My wife and I have good jobs (for now) and we built a new home 3 years ago.  My father is not well and is awaiting a lung transplant (need an average size male lung from someone with A- blood type if anybody's got one they would give up).  I help his wife take care of him and his home. 

With all that said, when the kids get bigger and dad gets well, I'm going to think about making a move.  The communist republic of Illinois is not a cheap place to live and my wife and I can both take our careers to a new level somewhere else.  So, at some point, starting in about 5-8 years, I am lookin' for paradise on earth.  Somewhere I can ride all year, make a decent living and live happily ever after.
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

Bikin' Bob

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 08:49:15 PM »

Been in Georgia now for 37 of my 55 years.  Got stationed here in '72.  And actually it was motorcycle riding back then that was a big part of my staying when discharged in '74 (it was really a mature decision).  I could ride year round here but not in Illinois where I was born and raised.  However, now in addition to riding, it's all about roots.  Over the years, a lot my family moved here, and a lot of my wife's family (she was born and raised in Boston), and now our kids are here (2 out of the house and 1 to go).  I have to also say that I absolutely love my job (professor at UGA) -- I know that's unheard of in a lot of cases.  It's also relatively inexpensive to live in Georgia.  And did I mention that you can ride year round.  In 3 hours we can be in the mountains, and in about 5 we can either be on the Gulf coast or the Atlantic.

Long answer but there you've got it -- Bikin' Bob
Why squabble? Just ride!

aushog

• 2008 Frosty
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 09:48:44 PM »

Family.  Ride/sail/hike/run year round.  2 lane roads in the hill county.  not too expensive.  low taxes.  If there was an ocean it would be perfect!

Admiral

• My . Ol . Lady's . A Screaming Eagle !!!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • >> SILVER BULLET <<

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • SJHR
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2009, 10:24:51 PM »

Home is where you hang your hat ride.

Who want's to move.

hdhog1

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: Autumn Haze CUSE
    • CVO2: Canyon Copper SEFB2
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2009, 10:25:19 PM »

New Jersey is the "Gestapo State".  If they don't tax you to death they create a law to hold you down.

I have planned on leaving NJ since I was in high school.  Some family crisis has always come up and stopped me.  Now in my 50's with most of the family passed on,  I am looking once again to make my escape.
  I Always wanted to live somewhere out west.  Now I almost don't care as long as it's not here.  Less expensive would be nice so I don't have to work until I'm 100.

Who know's maybe this will be the year I don't return from Sturgis, at least till it snows. 

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2009, 10:58:32 PM »

Well, I'm Texas born.  Dad & Mom were from Oklahoma and moved back when I was a little guy.  I have lots of deep roots here now.  Most of my family, including two beautiful granddaughters, live within a few miles.

I know that So California and Florida have the great weather and NYC has all the attractions.... problem with all this is that lots of other folks know this too.  I don't mind visiting all these places, but much too crowded for me.

I can ride an hour east and be in the twisties and hills of SE Oklahoma.  I have several great fishing lakes with in a few miles of the house.  I don't care much for cold weather, but we get our share of warm days through the winter... enough to get to take a ride every week or so until summer-time comes around.

Like others have said, "Home is Home".  Even if I moved back to Texas, I would probably still call Oklahoma home  ;)

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2009, 11:26:32 PM »

Moved to Chicago 3 years ago for work and to get closer to family.  Moved here from Virginia and I miss the riding and weather there.  Home will always be Nebraska as that is where I grew up. 
Funny that you asked the question...I just told my wife when the kids are out of the house the next place we live I will be able to do Christmas shopping on the Harley...if there is salt on the roads it better be from the ocean.

Bottom line is make the best out of it... no matter where you live.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2009, 12:41:59 AM »

My job, for 7 more years.

Then who knows but someplace warmer.
My wife is a SoCal girl, but I doubt we'll be heading out there.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2009, 01:00:56 AM »

My job, but mostly my family. Central California isn't too bad either. 2 hours east is the Sierra's and 2 hours west is the Pacific.
You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.

JasonDeezy

• Ride it 'til the wheels fall off...
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Orange you glad it's a CVO?...

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 O/B
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2009, 02:28:17 AM »

Besides FAMILY, it's the BAY AREA! We have just about everything within 600 miles of us. The ocean (Pacific),  the most beautiful lake in the country (Lake Tahoe), Mountains (The Sierras), Valleys (Death Valley), National Parks (Yosemite), Wine Country (Napa), Glitz & Glamour (Hollywood), Gambling (Las Vegas, Reno & Lake Tahoe) and San Francisco itself! For the most part the weather is fair and we have THOUSANDS of miles of roads to ride. What else is there (except maybe a lower cost of living!)?...
King Tour Pack
Roland Sands Design Diesel Wheels 18"/21"
Klock Werks 21" Slicer Fender
Klock Werks 8" FLARE Black Windshield
Hawg Wired DCS/SX System
Cary Faas Racing (CFR) Slipons
Fullsac X-Pipe B
8" Yaffe OEM Monkey Bars & Power Mirrors
TTS Mastertune
Dakota Digital Gauges MCL-3006-R
Carl Brouhard Floorboards (Front & Rear)
   Brake Arm, Brake Pedal
   Heel & Toes Shifter (w/pegs), Shift Arm & Linkage
Kuryakyn License Plate Frame (#9182)
Arlen Ness Deep Cut Grips
Wheeldock EZ-Up Centerstand

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2009, 04:33:56 AM »

Zurich is quite central in europe, with good connections by road rail and air. i love the freedom of riding north south east or west, after 40years living on a small island and having to pay expensive ferry charges to get to france i`m in heaven, there is a beautiful woman that lives here that was willing to share her life with me.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2009, 06:27:07 AM »

I now live in Middle TN, but grew up on the south side of Chicago. Military sent me to many far off exotic places, at night and back home in the morning, so I have seen alot. My wife is from Manchester England and has lived in Israel, Greece, Canada, when she became a US citizen she lived in San Diego. So each of us has a bit of gypsy in us. We like Tennessee for all that it offers, But since we have NO KIDS :pineapple:, we said that once the last dog is gone who knows what we might do, Australia sounds good, so does Portugal.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2009, 07:28:09 AM »

Job.  Period.  It is -2 and windy this morning.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.