Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: What makes you stay where you live?  (Read 10579 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Re: What makes you stay where you live?
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2009, 07:28:51 AM »

Right now, the housing market is probably about the only thing keeping me here.  I've been watching my neighbors with the signs going up and the signs coming back down many months later, and none of them have moved.  Nobody is able to sell.  I would love to get out of PA and move somewhere warm so I can ride year round.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2009, 08:07:28 AM »

This ones easy.  I love the change of seasons.  Summer and Fall are spectacular.  Where ever I go I know someone.  I have the best neighbors, best grocery stores, best beer store.  For large city, international culture, Toronto is less than 2 hrs away.  My house has maintained all of it's value in the last year (at least that's what the assessor tells me).  Cost of living is low (but taxes are high).  Within an hour or so from home there are areas of such wilderness cell phones don't work but I can go to an off Broadway play with a 20 minute drive (I'm going to opening night of Rent tonight).  I'm close to Niagara Falls, Lake Erie (world class Walleye and Bass fishing), and Lake Ontario (world class Salmon and Steelhead fishing as well one of the best kept secrets in the world, the 1,000 Islands).  The weather is so crazy I could go skiing and golfing in the same week.  I don't have to worry about tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, wild fires, or mud slides.  Blizzards are actually fun.  We build a fire have some beer and cook some comfort food.  The neighborhood restaurants and all fantastic and and lastly, I have a good job.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2009, 08:09:41 AM »

Well, it's -17 as I write this so little more needs to be said. The bike is safely up on a jack and under cover so I'm not piling on the extra miles for 5 months out of the year. I get to sit around and think of new ways to spend money on improvements so when it comes out in the spring, it will be just like I want it (right).

Actually, my wife and I moved back to the cities 17 years ago after spending 5 years in San Diego, 4 years in Pierre, SD, and 2 years in Sioux Falls, SD. The twin cities is an outstanding place to live, work and play. We've got lakes, trees, arts, fishing, hunting, great riding (motorcycles and snowmobiles) and weather. Boy have we got weather. Thunderstorms, tornadoes (6 miles from our house this year) blizzards, scorching heat and this week's little gift of sub-zero temps. Actually though, my wife and I love weather. We got 3 inches of the most beautiful snow yesterday, the whole area looks like a snow globe. Got out my snow blower last night and plowed out 4 driveways (nothing like seeing someone's face when they get home and see they don't have to shovel). Took one of the dogs for a walk last night (when it was still 17 ABOVE) and he had the time of his life plowing through the drifts and snow. Winter has its advantages and spring is just around the corner.

Minneapolis has one of the greatest downtowns in the world and you can walk for miles inside in the winter and never leave the skyways. The people are friendly, it's a great place to raise a family (even if it's just 3 dogs), you can fly almost anywhere on a direct flight and now we have Al Franken as our Senator. Some things you just can't explain!

Now that we are back into riding scoots, we talk about getting a place in the sun when we retire and that may happen. Perhaps we'll just mooch off our remaining friends and relatives in warmer climates.

For now, no complaints here. We are blessed to live in a free country with unlimited opportunities!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2009, 08:32:33 AM »

NYC!!! What can I say? Love it, hate it!!! It's got EVERYTHING!!!! The good, the bad, and the ugly!!! Lived here all 54 years Work, family, friends. Whole family's lived here at least 4 generations. Convenient to get anywhere, but not the greatest riding in the Metropolitan area. Everyone should get here, and spend a lil time here, at least once in their lives! Don't regret a minute of living here my whole life. But there's no way I'm retiring here too!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2009, 08:32:49 AM »

I have been living here since I got this country 30 years ago...I think that I won't move...... Besides riding the whole year  :divers009:

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2009, 08:41:12 AM »

NYC!!! What can I say? Love it, hate it!!! It's got EVERYTHING!!!! The good, the bad, and the ugly!!! Lived here all 54 years Work, family, friends. Whole family's lived here at least 4 generations. Convenient to get anywhere, but not the greatest riding in the Metropolitan area. Everyone should get here, and spend a lil time here, at least once in their lives! Don't regret a minute of living here my whole life. But there's no way I'm retiring here too!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

you mean you work?

you serk guys kill me. :P

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

cuttinhorse

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 Copper Head Road Qween
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2009, 09:43:49 AM »

4th generation Rancher..............someone's gotta stick around and feed the cows, break the colts, and smell the country air.

hunter

• Elite CVO Member
  • Have rifle, will travel

• CVO1: 2008 SERK, Black & Silver with RH TD
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2009, 10:28:52 AM »

My wife's family.  I would move out of here in a heart beat.  Right now, I pay high taxes, put up with worst gun laws in the country and deal with cold winters.  Wouldn't mind the winter if I could switch riding gears with hunting, but NO hunting here.  All private posted land.  It has never been home and it'll never be.  I made a commitmend to my wife and sticking with it (they can't leave for ever).
Lack of money is the source of all evils.

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2009, 10:40:02 AM »

We moved to Oregon in 2004 so my wife could be closer to her side of the family. When the wife is happy, I am happy. I grew up and lived most of my life in Washington State and Oregon isn't much different than Washington so it wasn't much of a climate change although it doesn't rain as much here and the temperature is often 5-10 degrees warmer. The Oregon coast is only 1.5 hrs away to the west, the cascade mountains and central Oregon are only 1.5 hours away to the east so it doesn't take much effort to get away from the city. Life in general is good.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2009, 11:24:23 AM »

I've lived here since 85, and I like it!

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2009, 11:38:32 AM »

Like most people on this thread, I enjoy the variety of the area and being able to travel from oceanfront to mountains in a short time. variety of things to do like saltwater and freshwater fishing. The weather is not too severe and the only really bad weather we get are hurricanes. (Not as frequently as other areas.) You can pretty much ride all year.
I too have family in the area and a wife with a career that keeps us in the area.

I find it surprising that so far no one has answered the question "What makes you stay where you live?" As .......The parole board or "The ankle bracelet doesn't have much range.." :huepfenlol2:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2009, 11:46:29 AM »

I find it surprising that so far no one has answered the question "What makes you stay where you live?" As .......The parole board or "The ankle bracelet doesn't have much range.." :huepfenlol2:
Not much different than: "made a pact w/ the wife".  :confused5: har!  :) spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2009, 11:51:02 AM »

Too lazy to move.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

acevtwin

• 1K CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2000 SERG Orange/White/Black sold
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Orange / Black Sold
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO FLSTSE Convertible Orange/Black CVO4: 2017 FLHXSE Orange/Black CVO5: 2022 FLTRXSE Orange/Black CVO6: 2010 FLSTSE Orange / Black (Yes, a second one)
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2009, 11:54:09 AM »

I stay living in Michigan because I enjoy Snowblowing the driveway Friday,Saturday and sunday!  NOT!

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

• CVO1: 04 B/B SEEG
    • CVO2: 05 Two-Tone Candy Cherry
    • CVO3: 04 FORD 4x4 Super Duty Turbo Diesel HD "Corporate Colors"
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2009, 12:01:06 PM »

For the last 24 years, Home is where the Army planted us.

Now that I retired from that we are looking for the next spot. Don't get me wrong, VA has a lot going for it. We have seasons, but haven't seen any snow in a long time. Then again it can be gawdawful hot in the summer, humidity is a trip. So we are looking at weather trends, fresh air, good water, and low to no state tax on retirement dollars. That last piece really narrows down the search, but keeps most of the country in play.

I like southern Ohio, cost of living is low, no taxes on retirement, 4 seasons, old friends and family are there too... then again, when we were in Nelson we became re-aquainted with the natural beauty of the PNW. So we haven't ruled out BC, Washington and Oregon, yet.

What was the question again? Oh yeah, what makes me stay where I live... that's easy, the economy and my mortgage. Once those two get a bit better, we will be from a different state.  :drink:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 12:03:21 PM by Mr. We »
2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

His 04 Black and Blue  :huepfenlol2:   Hers 05 Two Tone Candy Cherry  :cherry: Ours 04 F250 GR8 PNKN :pumpkin:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.