Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Redline Motorcycle Lifts: Anyone?  (Read 10810 times)

mark

Redline Motorcycle Lifts: Anyone?
« on: October 29, 2011, 11:02:56 AM »

I'm looking for a motorcycle lift, but will not use it much, just for fluid changes, detailing, etc.  I found this company on line: http://www.redlinestands.com

The Redline 1,000 lb. lift is $649.  They also have a Titan lift for $699.  Anyone have either of these?

Also, I realize there are Handy,etc. lifts out there, but with my "garage mechanic" use, I don't really want to drop $1,000+ on a lift.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Redline Motorcycle Lifts: Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 11:16:19 AM »

I don't have an expensive brand name table lift.  It came from a shop not far from me that OE's for others making auto lifts and table lifts.  Bought it out of their back door for $670 and change several years ago.  

It's not about the cost though; at least to a point.  You're looking at 1000 pound lifts when the same supplier there is offering heavier lifts for a couple hundred bucks more.  Almost certainly they've got a significant safety factor built in.  But one part at the margins leaves your bike stuck up in the air and unrideable until such a time as you can figure out how to fix things and get the lift back down.  Something as simple as a cheap wheel or skinny axle on the table lift can ruin your whole weekend.

Mine is a very heavy table.  No fancy drop outs.  But a nice heavy/strong lift.  When you're already spending $600 or $700 it can be penny wise but pound foolish to pat yourself on the back in appreciation of not spending $200 more to get something good.

The cheaper units there may be good.  Can't tell from the pictures.  But if you can't tell either it's a factor that has to be considered.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 11:18:22 AM »

I cannot attest to that specific lift, but I have found with a bagger/tour pack, the side extensions are very helpful to be able to step off.

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 11:22:06 AM »

I cannot attest to that specific lift, but I have found with a bagger/tour pack, the side extensions are very helpful to be able to step off.

That's something I wish I had Jeff.  Since new I've had beside mine some wooden extenders that set beside the lift on both side.  Really need them when riding up or rolling off the table.  The width isn't missed when working on a bike. But it'd be a pain in the ass getting on and off.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 11:23:52 AM »

I am with Don on this one, I bought a 1500 lb lift, just to increase the margin of error. (actually my bike weighs in about 1060 lbs, so a 1000 lb lift is not enough)

« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 03:10:59 PM by Keats »
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 11:26:53 AM »

That's always been my thought on these things Jeff.  A loaded dresser with full fluids is close enough to a half ton anymore so as to make no difference.  Put one of us on it riding it up there or sitting on it adjusting mirrors or foot pegs or whatever and we'll have always busted a 1k weight recommendation. 

No doubt there's some safety factor in their spec.  But some of these thing have tiny axles and minimal looking casters.  Why take the risk?

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 11:29:21 AM »

That's something I wish I had Jeff.  Since new I've had beside mine some wooden extenders that set beside the lift on both side.  Really need them when riding up or rolling off the table.  The width isn't missed when working on a bike. But it'd be a pain in the ass getting on and off.

The side extensions do not help you in getting close to the work, but they can hold a chit load of tools.

If you had a "project bike" and needed lots of wrenching it would benefit you to take them off (pretty easy), but I have never done that.

I park my bike on the lift every day, so getting on and off is a priority.
Formally FLHTCUSE3

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 11:34:59 AM »

I have several friends that have toppled a bike over on various types of lifts and it is not pretty.

One guy toppled over while sitting on the bike and got pinned between the wall and the bike.

Fortunately he had a cell phone to call out for help. (he will never live that phone call down)
Formally FLHTCUSE3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 11:49:58 AM »

I have several friends that have toppled a bike over on various types of lifts and it is not pretty.

One guy toppled over while sitting on the bike and got pinned between the wall and the bike.

Fortunately he had a cell phone to call out for help. (he will never live that phone call down)

Weird stuff can happen even with all the right pieces in play.  Someone who we won't mention to avoid embarassment was in my shop about 2:00 AM just a couple weekends ago and had a "moment."  This guy, being the careful soul that he is, always uses straps with a bike on his lift.  Even with the good lifting and capturing front wheel chock.  Just to be safe.  Always a rear strap on each side.

Well.... this guy had just finished some regular service on my old Road Glide some bike and was ready to bring the bike down off the lift.  He unhooked the left strap and, at two freaking AM, the phone rang in his pocket.  It was a female type person.  So he was ok with it.  But he was distracted.  So he climbs on the bike, pops it in neutral and pulls it out of the front wheel chock.

Being one of those lifting and holding type stands the bike comes down a bit and starts to roll downhill.  To clear the stand the rear wheel starts rolling down the rear ramp.  And then the whole world turns a little sideways.  Because our idiot here, being distracted, forgot to take off the right side strap.  Ooops. 

Back wheel spun on the smooth rear ramp so I he couldn't drive the bike in to the wheel chock.  Bike was leaning pretty good so he couldn't get the kickstand down.  And even if he could it probably wouldn't have helped.  I He was screwed!

Fortunately fat boys can be flexible.  No way to reach the strap assembly and release down below bike level.  But with the handy dandy ready pocket knife blade could just barely reach the strap itself where it reached the rear crash bar.  This guy was an idiot.  But his lift was strong enough to hold the extra weight and forces as he tried to drive the bike out of trouble!

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 12:07:52 PM »

Back wheel spun on the smooth rear ramp so I he couldn't drive the bike in to the wheel chock.  Bike was leaning pretty good so he couldn't get the kickstand down.  And even if he could it probably wouldn't have helped.  I He was screwed!

When I got my lift last year I had the same type of problem with the ramp.  I ended up purchasing this to keep me from slipping.  I also use it on the side extenders to keep my feet from slipping.

http://www.kofflersales.com/product.asp?cid=23&pid=36

Fortunately fat boys can be flexible.  No way to reach the strap assembly and release down below bike level.  But with the handy dandy ready pocket knife blade could just barely reach the strap itself where it reached the rear crash bar.  This guy was an idiot.  But his lift was strong enough to hold the extra weight and forces as he tried to drive the bike out of trouble!

Unfortunately, this fat boy (me) cannot even touch his toes.  I  have about an 18" to get before I could even think about it!  :o
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 12:50:35 PM »

When I got my lift last year I had the same type of problem with the ramp.  I ended up purchasing this to keep me from slipping.  I also use it on the side extenders to keep my feet from slipping.

http://www.kofflersales.com/product.asp?cid=23&pid=36

Have used similar products on deck steps and other obvious places.  Suppose it's one of those "you think of using only after you've seen the need" kind of things.  Tire had never spun going up on the lift before.  But this had things in an odd angle.  Front wheel not well lined up with the chock.  Basically everything working against it.  Still worth a thought though.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 01:22:31 PM »

Table lifts are really nice, if you have the room for it.  I'd have one if that was the case.

But I have to make do with this:  http://www.jsjacks.com/products/motorcycle-lifts

It really does work as claimed...I've had mine since '06, and other than one bottle crapping out when it was less than a month old (which they promptly made good by sending me a new bottle at no charge, and 2 day ground UPS), it's worked flawlessly.  I've done everything from routine service, to pulling both wheels off the bike, handlebar change, and all sorts of work underneath the outer fairing.  Never had to strap the bike down either.  Can roll the bike all over the basement, and keep it stored off the ground when not riding.  The bike lives on the stand when it's in the basement.  I have the oil pan attachment too...it works.  Not as nice as having the bike up on a table lift, but a very servicable item and good folks to deal with.

Even if I had a table lift, the J&S would still see a lot of use for storage and washing detailing the bike.  When I pull into the basement after a ride, I slide the jack under the bike and roll the whole thing over to the center of the basement, between the two car bays.  Takes about 2 minutes, and the bike is out of the way and safe.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 03:00:41 PM »

Pitbull works for me.  Sears has one that sells for around $100 if you're on a limited budget.

Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 07:35:49 PM »

I have one of their scissors jacks. Quality is o.k. (just o.k.) considering the cost.. would I purchase another one? as along as it's a second back up!! Dont know anything about their tables but if quality compares defiantly better than Harbor Frieght   :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 07:40:23 PM by cvobiker »

tj902

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 07:38:43 PM »

Looked at them when shopping for mine and they seemed okay, but I went with the Pitbull lift and haven't looked back.  Added the rotating table and it's perfect for the things I do with the bike.  I especially like the big wheels and ease of moving the lift with a 900+ lb load on it.  Pull into the garage, roll the lift under the bike, jack it up a ways, engage the safety stops, roll and tuck it into a tight space, and I'm good to go.  Takes about 3 minutes or less.  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 21 queries.