Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Can radar pick up a motorcycle?  (Read 7649 times)

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
Can radar pick up a motorcycle?
« on: May 05, 2012, 10:57:23 AM »

I really don't know what makes radar work. But I just don't see many bikes pulled over with flashing lights going. Wondering if cops can reliably use radar on bikes.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
Re: Can radar pick up a motorcycle?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 11:00:50 AM »

If they can clock a baseball, they can clock a bike.  The only speeding ticket I've ever gotten was on a motorcycle.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 11:01:51 AM »

According to what the cop in Wyoming said as I was going to Sturgis showed me  ------------  it works just fine on bikes.  Luckily he gave me a warning as he also had a Harley. ;)

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 11:03:19 AM »

I really don't know what makes radar work. But I just don't see many bikes pulled over with flashing lights going. Wondering if cops can reliably use radar on bikes.

Yes they can.  I was recently ticketed while meeting a State Trooper and he and I were the only two on the road.  He clocked my speed accurately too.  He gave me a bit of a break though; lowered the speed to less than 70 mph.  If he had caught me three minutes earlier it would have been really bad, so I felt lucky to only get a $100 ticket.
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

crackers

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 11:08:47 AM »

In our area they no longer use radar. They have switched to laser and its much more accurate

Fullsac "D" pipe
4" Rineharts
Heads by Jack Larson
Diamond cut
TTS Tuner
Progressive 944's and Progressive Monotubes

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 11:22:41 AM »

yes they can and from a good distance as well. Two summers ago i got pulled over in Nevada doing 85 in a 75..  He shot me with radar from the oposite side of the freeway. I saw him and realized he got me. He had to hit his next exit though then head another mile or so to get me.. Thought about making it harder from him and just kept on going but i just pulled over and waited... He came flying up my direction, nearly passed me sitting on the side and came over, screamed at me for driving 85 and went trough his routine.   Five minutes later he came back with my license, handed it to me and warned me if was pullled over again in his state i would get a ticket..  WOW, nice LEO  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 11:30:30 AM by cvobiker »

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 01:53:49 PM »

I know it works on bikes in PA.
DND

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 02:03:06 PM »

Yes! 

A good detector sure does help though. My Road Tech (guts the same as my Passport 8500) has saved my arse countless times...most recently, yesterday on the Malahat on the first out of town ride of the season.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 02:46:57 PM »

Radar bands (X, K, Ka, IR) are like a fat beam that is emitted from the device... imagine a "V" coming from the front of the unit head towards you.

The beam will pick up the biggest then fastest object travelling towards it, so if you have a slower bus driving behind a faster car most likely the reading will come from the bus.

Likewise, if a car is behind a bike the car should be picked up first... if the bike is the only thing on the road then it's a bad day for the rider.

Most departments are using laser now, on a unit with a scope the beam is about the size of a dot than can be placed on a vehicle from about a mile away, or in a much shorter distance of course.

The operator can jump around from vehicle to vehicle at the pull of a trigger, it's a lot like target shooting for motorists!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 09:26:08 PM by murphy »

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 09:19:24 PM »

Just saw two crotch rockets pulled over by staties tonight on the way home from work. They must have been bad boys.  :P
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 10:40:56 PM »

The laser also has a +/- on readout to differentiate between two opposite lanes of travel. So the argument of having to be alone in the zone is gone
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 10:56:47 PM by Pete7539 »

wideglidejoe

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 10:41:43 PM »

X2 what murphy said.  I was on my way home from work on my WideGlide in a 3 lane expressway.  An unmarked light blue Charger was ~1/4 mi ahead of me in the center lane.  60 mph zone, everyone was driving 75, I was a little faster.  I slowed to about 65, as I was suspicous of the Charger.  I passed the Charger doing 65, he pulled behind me and lit up the lights behind his grille.  He asked how fast I was going, I said 65 when I passed you.  He reminded me it was a 60 zone, I said I was basically blending in with everyone else.  He said "well, someone behind me was doing 81".  I said "besides me, there was a car and pickup behind you."  He said "yes, and one of you was doing 81, but I don't know which one".  He went on to say that motorcycles are small targets for rear facing radar, and that I should slow down a little.  I said "yes sir, I sure will".  Didn't even write me a written warning, just verbal.  

Laser is another story..........

On a side note, that Charger had really dark tint, no lights visible in rear window, no light bar, etc.  Even had a civilian license plate instead of a city or state govt plate.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 10:46:02 PM by wideglidejoe »
2011 FLHTCUSE6 Blue
2005 Wide Glide
1962 Mustang Bronco Scooter
1972 Indian (Italjet 50cc) minibike
1965 AC Cobra replica
1955 Chevy Bel Air

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 11:50:46 AM »

Just saw two crotch rockets pulled over by staties tonight on the way home from work. They must have been bad boys.  :P

thats odd,,,,,,, crotch rockets usually just outrun a ticket   :nixweiss:

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 12:32:06 PM »

So much for my "ninja dust".  Guess I'd better slow down.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 12:48:58 PM »

So we agree that cops can radar bikes.  But do all states use the same approach to clocking bikes?

Years ago a friend of mine that I worked with in PA said that he took a trip to MI and while driving he was speeding.  He saw a State Trooper coming towards him in the other lane.  He didn't slow down because he knew that cops had to be stopped when clocking someone.  Well....that's what he knew in PA, but in MI cops have always been able to radar people while on the move.

My question now is, are there any states today that still require the radar to be stopped when clocking a vehicle of any type?

Just wondering...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 12:50:31 PM by Dan_Lockwood »
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2012, 01:56:38 PM »

All in car units have the capacity to operate stationary or on the move, I'd be really surprised if there was legislation anywhere that said it had to be done while standing still... imagine how dangerous it would be for other motorists trying to catch the guy who just passed at 100 mph from the parked position!

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 06:06:02 PM »

All in car units have the capacity to operate stationary or on the move, I'd be really surprised if there was legislation anywhere that said it had to be done while standing still... imagine how dangerous it would be for other motorists trying to catch the guy who just passed at 100 mph from the parked position!

It wasn't that PA cops couldn't clock people while on the move, it was that it was some type of entrapment issue and there was a state statute requiring cops to be stationary while "officially" clocking someone.

I believe the radar has a built in scan of the ground speed and then automatically deducts that from the on coming or going with car they are clocking.  So PA cops had the ability, but not by law.  At least that was in the late 80's or early 90's.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 08:14:37 PM »

I believe the radar has a built in scan of the ground speed and then automatically deducts that from the on coming or going with car they are clocking.  So PA cops had the ability, but not by law.  At least that was in the late 80's or early 90's.

That's how all the mobile units work Dan, ground speed is the speed that the cruiser is traveling at and target speed is the speed of the offender.

When an officer gives evidence and advises the trier of fact the speed that they were travelling when they clocked the 'bad guy" they use the speed from the unit (ground speed) not from their own speedo.

FYI... pretty much all mobile units now also have "heads" in the front and the rear of the patrol cars and or bikes, so you can be tracked in either direction if the operator knows how to operate the machine properly.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 08:18:12 PM by murphy »

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2012, 08:56:36 PM »

When I was a kid there was a strongman named Hercules Macelroy who let cars drive across his body. He claimed that eating two dozen eggs for breakfast made him storng. I don't think he could "pick up a motorcycle" though, and I'm not sure about this Radar guy..

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 09:30:44 PM »

When I was a kid there was a strongman named Hercules Macelroy who let cars drive across his body. He claimed that eating two dozen eggs for breakfast made him storng. I don't think he could "pick up a motorcycle" though, and I'm not sure about this Radar guy..
:D

Side note, I've been told by LEOs that the laser HAS to be stationary and the unit must be "braced" so to speak against something. That's why you'll see them holding the unit across their arm or laying on top of the door.

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 07:48:05 AM »

I can clear this up........Yes! They definitely pick up a motorcycle.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 07:52:53 AM by Ghost__Rider »
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2012, 07:58:22 AM »

I can clear this up........Yes! They definitely pick up a motorcycle.
YEP, That pic is pretty clear   :'(

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2012, 09:00:46 AM »

Side note, I've been told by LEOs that the laser HAS to be stationary and the unit must be "braced" so to speak against something. That's why you'll see them holding the unit across their arm or laying on top of the door.

Nope... the only reason why folks will "brace it" like you described is that regardless of weight, any portable - hand held unit will become to feel  heavy over time... even those that are deemed "ultra light" can feel like a couple hundred pounds after holding them all day!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 09:02:49 AM by murphy »

MooseAmos

• Full CVO Member
  • "Damn Few..."

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 - "Louie"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTI - "Harry"
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2012, 09:09:16 AM »

thats odd,,,,,,, crotch rockets usually just outrun a ticket   :nixweiss:

They foolishly try & sometimes succeed in losing the trooper--hard to outrun the radio though...   8)
- 2012 Black/Slate CVO Street Glide:  Rinehart True Duals; HD Supertuner; LED Headlight/Passing Lamps/Turn Signals; Zumo 665 GPS + XM; 8.5" Klock Werks Shield; Corbin Hollywood Solo; Detachable King TourPak; Heated Grips; etc.

- 2006 Vivid Black Heritage Softail:  SE Exhaust; HD Supertuner; Heavy Breather; Passing Lamps; Corbin Solo; Detachable Ghost Shield/Boss Leather Trunk + Saddle Bags; Lindby Twinbar; etc.

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2012, 10:21:09 AM »

;) According to the ME State Trooper, I was doing 135 with my significant on the back, so I guess so.

DR
Government is best which governs least.

Power Commander 3 Tuner
Doherty Power PACC with K&N Air Filter
Screamin' Eagle® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump
Headwinds 2" Bullet Passing Lights 50w'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2012, 10:30:04 AM »

The last several years I have been pulled over by unmarked cars that were coming toward me when they clocked me, they were in Minnesota, Arkansas and Illinois.  So those can do it for sure. 

Only the guy in MN gave me a ticket, he must have been having a bad day. 

MooseAmos

• Full CVO Member
  • "Damn Few..."

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 - "Louie"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTI - "Harry"
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2012, 10:40:01 AM »

;) According to the ME State Trooper, I was doing 135 with my significant on the back, so I guess so.

DR

Ouch...   :o
- 2012 Black/Slate CVO Street Glide:  Rinehart True Duals; HD Supertuner; LED Headlight/Passing Lamps/Turn Signals; Zumo 665 GPS + XM; 8.5" Klock Werks Shield; Corbin Hollywood Solo; Detachable King TourPak; Heated Grips; etc.

- 2006 Vivid Black Heritage Softail:  SE Exhaust; HD Supertuner; Heavy Breather; Passing Lamps; Corbin Solo; Detachable Ghost Shield/Boss Leather Trunk + Saddle Bags; Lindby Twinbar; etc.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2012, 10:45:33 AM »

As a side note......fight all speeding tix....if not thrown out, it will usually be reduced.

A technique that I have used in the past is to keep a record of  one or two out of province plates likely to be going the same direction as I am for a while......submit that that is who may have been speeding in my vicinity, they are called.........reasonable doubt. Has worked a couple times for me.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2012, 11:42:06 AM »

I'm gonna just throw this out there... Obviously I can't speak for every jurisdiction, but in everyone that I know of a conviction (or dismissal) can be appealed, right to the highest court in the land, regardless of the interpreted seriousness of the offence.

Many radar cars have in-car camera systems that generally are operated during vehicle stops, in most cases once the camera is activated it will have saved footage 30 seconds before the activation, which should capture the offense and and in theroy all other vehicles in the area as well.

Lets just say that the officer takes a vested interest in the conviction or dismissal, there is a big difference in the courts eyes between reasonable doubt and what could be considered a far more sereious offense of middleasing them.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2012, 11:05:15 AM »

Not on the bike, but an "accuracy" point.

Couple years ago I was heading down the NJ Turnpike to Philly airport, morning traffic. Not late, but wanted to get there plenty early.  Seen a black BMW, black Mercedes ,both with New York plates, both hauling down the fast lane. Figured great, Ill let them run rabbet in follow along.

Did that for only a bit before I thought this is crazy, there going to jail if they get caught. About the time I started to slow I noticed a row of 4 cars parked perpendicular off the roadway.

H'mm slowed down just in time. Not so - I got pulled over, figured oh well, 75 in a 65. The young trooper (figured no slack there) said the obligatory DO you know why I pulled you over? Knowing the recorder was on I said "I'm not sure".

"I have you doing 91 on laser". I was completely taken by surprise and of course doubted his claim. I was driving my brick of a vehicle, GMC 2500HD. "91  - no way do I think I was doing 91". Anyway he asks how my license is - I have no tickets, no accidents. Before he heads back to his car I ask "does it help my son is a LEO and I am career fire?"

He let me go with a verbal with the warning about my speed. No problem. I did the next 50 miles or so at 62 MPH and was paced twice along the roadway. No doubt my truck was radioed to patrols.

The point of this is I absolutely did not believe he caught me, had to be the two rabbets.

When I got to Mobile, AL that night I downloaded my GPS track.

Trooper was spot on, I found my track and I was doing 91 where he said he lasered me. And that was during the morning rush hour, with 4l anes of traffic.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2012, 11:36:05 AM »

DR

That Maine state trooper was high Dennis.  Our bikes with their little 95" motors, stock gearing and a BSR wouldn't go that fast.  Maybe downhill ballistic.  But not on the road.

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2012, 01:41:48 PM »

A little late to the party... but a very good K-9 Officer of mine showed me just what can happen with the readings the on-dash radar units used in a lot of the cars.

It was a chilly November in Oklahoma and he and I were chatting while he was on his Lunch break... I was standing outside the car and noticed on the dash, his radar unit kept picking up speeds upwards to 40mph... he was parked in front of my house, a heavily populated residential setting on a Military base.  Because the car was facing a curve in the neighborhood, I asked him how he could be picking up radar hits when there wasn't any traffic and he was pointed directly at the house in the bend of the curve... oh, did I tell you it was midnight?

Anyway, he leaned over and turned up the Fan on the defrost... the radar unit then started getting 70 and 80mph hits, with the defrost on medium... and a little over 100mph with the fan on high.

Not saying that anyone out there is doing this... but with all electronic devices, there are always some bugs in them that simply can't get worked out, and for the most part don't need to be.   8)
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2012, 01:49:02 PM »

Yep... you're right!

The heater (blower) fan in a vehicle can throw off the readings on an in-car unit, this is supposed to be addressed in training, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was someone out there who wasn't made aware of the fault.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2012, 08:47:55 PM »

After today, I am able to answer the OP's question with a resounding "YES!" :o  First one, ever, on a bike.  I'm sure I was due. :lolk:

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2012, 08:03:27 AM »

After today, I am able to answer the OP's question with a resounding "YES!" :o  First one, ever, on a bike.  I'm sure I was due. :lolk:

Must of been somthing good,,  what did you get wrote up for.  :nixweiss:

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2012, 08:35:01 AM »

Wasn't too horrible.  80 in a 65.  I've gotten by with far worse a time or two. ::)  I was back underway in less than 10 minutes to meet up with the RibFest crew.  So, overall for the 250-mile trip to meet them, I still made up time vs. running the speed limit the whole way. :huepfenlol2:  Wallet being $120 lighter does add a bit of suck factor, however!

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2012, 12:19:51 PM »

I am coming in late on this but wanted to participate anyway. I do not know what the difference is between the sets the LEO's have in their cars and whatever is mounted into the roadsign stations you encounter but I know that unless I am in a direct line and no more than 10ft to the side of the roadside type they do not pick me up. We have one in my town at the bottom of a hill with three-four lanes. If I am in either the 2 or the 1 lane it doesn't pick me up. It does if I am right next to it in the 4 lane or the 3 lane. Perhaps there is like a cheap lowball set up they use for these since they are traffic control devices vice ticket verifiers

B B

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2012, 11:50:21 AM »

I'm a retired Deputy in Southern Indiana and I personally ran radar for most of my career. Most of what Murphy says is correct, But any radar or lazer radar is only as good as the operator. If they have not had proper training you can get what we called ghost readings. Yes you can pick up the blower motor in the cars heating and air conditioning but the fan only runs up to 40 mph. If your in an area where you feel like there might be radar stay close to a semi, they cannot get a reading on you with the doppler type radars. And for all you guys buying radar detectors, the only thing they will tell you is if they are clocking a vehicle in your area. All the radars have instant on, so a quick as you can flick a light switch off and on thats how fast they can get a reading on you. Your best defense if you get caught and it's a steep fine is to either ask for the infraction defferal program or hire an attorney. Find out if the operator has had proper training and if he calibrated the unit before and after his shift. If they are running the Vascar type of radar, which it's not really a radar it's more of a stop watch that measures time and distance there is nothing that can beat it not unless you have some one run down and poke his eyes out before you get there.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2012, 11:04:23 AM »

I betz ya   Hercules Macelroy is one hell of a radar target   :P

Kickst@nd

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE
    • CVO2: On list for 2013 CVO Road or Street Glide
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2012, 05:40:50 PM »

In addition to the operator, the shape of the fairing or cross sectional area makes a difference.  The flatter the surface the farther away the guns are effective.  Stealth aircraft avoid radar with sharp angles that deflect the signal.  The material used makes a difference as well.  A stealth Harley.  Sounds like a future project.  LOL  Just my two cents worth.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2012, 09:59:18 PM »

In addition to the operator, the shape of the fairing or cross sectional area makes a difference.  The flatter the surface the farther away the guns are effective.  Stealth aircraft avoid radar with sharp angles that deflect the signal.  The material used makes a difference as well.  A stealth Harley.  Sounds like a future project.  LOL  Just my two cents worth.
I thought the black denim RGs were on that track already  ;D

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2012, 07:45:27 AM »

I thought the black denim RGs were on that track already  ;D

Kind of makes you wonder if they DO have some stealth capability  :nixweiss:

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2012, 04:33:25 AM »

Another thing we use to do at night, you could listen to the sound of the tires on the pavement without turning the radar on until you get right on us. You will be surprised on how your tires sing at night. You know, unless your on an interstate with open road for the next 25 or 50 miles, speeding is not really going to get you there any quicker. Oh you might catch the light before it turns, but eventually you will get caught by one and then you can look around you and see all the vehicles that you passed setting at the same light.

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2012, 04:38:01 AM »

And remember this, it's not the ticket thats expensive. It's what the insurance company is going to do to your rates when they do there checks on your records. My daughter recieved a speeding ticket at college, premium went from 600 a year too 2,100 a year and there is nothing you can do about it. None of the other insurance companys would even discuss it. Just my 2 cents worth

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2012, 07:45:32 AM »

got nailed down here in florida for 69 in a 50 by a cop car going the other way.$259.00,sucks!!!

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2012, 09:35:33 AM »

Yes two at a time going in the opposite direction 
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2012, 09:39:51 AM »

Yes two at a time going in the opposite direction 

Thanks Andy.  I was about to post this.......and I can't even find an attorney in that county that is willing to fight those tickets for us. Soon as they find out we're from out of state, they're not interested.  :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2012, 11:58:15 AM »

Thanks Andy. E I was about to post this.......and I can't even find an attorney in that county that is willing to fight those tickets for us. Soon as they find out we're from out of state, they're not interested.  :nixweiss:

Do you guys really have a legitimate case to fight it???  Almost impossible to fight a radar gun case unless you have solid evidence the LEO wasn't operating correctly or it grossly malfunctioned..   

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2012, 12:03:54 PM »

Maybe we have an Attorney from the great state of Utah than would be willing to help you out, at a mim. get the points of your record?
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2012, 12:53:24 PM »

Any ticket is worth fighting.

Often the operators claim to be competent but are not, the person on the receiving end just assumes that the officer knows what they are doing and think it's just not worth the effort in the long run.

As someone already said here, it's not the fine... it's what the insurance company will do to you when they find out.

At the very least you should order the disclosure to find out what the officer's evidence will be against you.

Maybe I can make this a little clearer....

This week I had a discussion about a radar unit in one of our cars, the "Bee III" is an excellent in-car unit that is very capable of obtaining accurate readings when being operated by a competent officer, twice over the past few days I have noticed that the unit has been left on by the guy who acts as the enforcement officer at my station.

The "enforcement officer" traditionally only writes tickets all day and does not respond to radio calls, you may think it's not so odd for him to leave the unit on... in reality it is.

In order to use the unit the operator needs to be trained and supervised in the operation by an instructor, interestingly enough I am the divisional trainer for this particular device and have not trained this individual on the operation of this unit.

I had always suspected this person of being incompetent and I have subsequently have launched an internal complaint regarding my recent observations, so unless he magically obtained training elsewhere, my assumption is that he will have been issuing tickets to members of the public while never being trained on the device that will assist in their conviction.

Obviously this is an extreme example... most officers are honest, trustworthy and well trained, it only highlights the importance of ensuring that you take all steps to ensure the person who had the interaction with you is as well.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2012, 03:55:12 PM »

Often the operators claim to be competent but are not, the person on the receiving end just assumes that the officer knows what they are doing and think it's just not worth the effort in the long run.

In order to use the unit the operator needs to be trained and supervised in the operation by an instructor, interestingly enough I am the divisional trainer for this particular device and have not trained this individual on the operation of this unit.

Obviously this is an extreme example... most officers are honest, trustworthy and well trained, it only highlights the importance of ensuring that you take all steps to ensure the person who had the interaction with you is as well.

Murphy, i think we are on the same page and agree when to fight a ticket. As I pointed out "unless you have solid evidence the LEO wasn't operating correctly or it grossly malfunctioned"  meaning the radar gun and operator, then IMO it is not worth fighting. Through experience, not only me, but a few friends, if you cant prove the LEO wrong in operation, experience and or malfunctioned of the radar gun, the Judge will have a tendency of slamming the highest fines, court cost etc as a way to prove confidence of our wonderful LEO's.   Some Judges are oposite of that but very few.  Now - if JC and fellow riders think they can prove wrong by officers - than i totally agree, fight it.. but be prepared if you are proven wrong the tide could (?) turn against you when the judge slams down his penalty and i didnt mention other fees like attorney cost, travel etc..  just sayen,, be carefull.   :2vrolijk_21:..  
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 04:01:39 PM by cvobiker »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2012, 11:38:53 PM »

As someone already said here, it's not the fine... it's what the insurance company will do to you when they find out.

At the very least you should order the disclosure to find out what the officer's evidence will be against you.

Maybe I can make this a little clearer....

This week I had a discussion about a radar unit in one of our cars, the "Bee III" is an excellent in-car unit that is very capable of obtaining accurate readings when being operated by a competent officer, twice over the past few days I have noticed that the unit has been left on by the guy who acts as the enforcement officer at my station.

The "enforcement officer" traditionally only writes tickets all day and does not respond to radio calls, you may think it's not so odd for him to leave the unit on... in reality it is.

I had always suspected this person of being incompetent and I have subsequently have launched an internal complaint regarding my recent observations, so unless he magically obtained training elsewhere, my assumption is that he will have been issuing tickets to members of the public while never being trained on the device that will assist in their conviction.

I agree, any ticket is worth fighting, given the right circumstances.

In this case, Terrie was riding approx. 150' behind me.  He was approaching from the opposite direction and the lights came on long before he got to me.  As he passed, he pulled on to the shoulder to make a u-turn.  The road was a narrow two lane with not much of a sholder to pull off safely so I turned left into a small parking lot with total visability.  Terrie stopped on the right edge of the traffic lane.

I circled back to the other entrance of the parking lot and stopped as I approaced the entrance back on to the street.  The office still hadn't gotten out of his car and I thought that odd.  I sit there for a minute longer and then pulled back out on to the highway.  I approached his car (and Terrie, who was standing beside her bike and had already removed her helmet).  I cruised by at about 25 mph, expecting his door to fly open with him coming out to signal me over to the side.  It didn't happen and I continued on.

I stopped at the lodge about a mile or so down the road and went in.  As I came out about 20 min. later, I got on my bike and fired it up.  As I started to head towards the highway, I saw Terrie coming, I quickly turned (staying in the parking lot) and headed for the restaurant at the back side of the lodge (where we were originally headed before this all happened).  As I parked, I realized that Terrie wasn't behind me and I walked back towards the front of the lodge where I saw her walking towards me.  She said "he told me if I didn't bring him to you that he was going to take me to jail".  At that time, I looked up to see his SUV headed towards us.

He pulled up beside me and said "I'll need your lic. ins. and reg.".  I didn't make any comment other than, "it's in my bike" and headed back towards my bike.  He followed me and told me "I clocked you two doing 55 in a 40 zone".  I didn't reply. 

After I got the ticket, and read the part about the fine, I looked back at the ticket.  He wrote it for 56mph.  The fine is more for somebody going 16mph to 25 mph than for somebody going 5 to 15 mph.

So two tickets on one radar.....the two vehicles about 150 feet apart.  Tickets wrote approx. half hour apart and a mile or so apart and two different things wrote on the two tickets.  He never offered to show either of us the radar unit, like they do here in Calif.

The fact of the matter is I was speeding. But the reason Terrie wasn't right behind me is because the speed limit had just turned from 35mph to 40 mph and I twisted the throttle and accelerator away from her.   He told her that he'd seen us riding together earlier in the park (Bryce Canyon) but this was just half mile outside the park.  He just decided because he'd seen us earlier in the morning together, that we were both going the same speed.

Since then, I did a search for a traffic citation attorney in that county.  None!  Then I did a search for a defense attorney in that county.....found a few however, none of them are interested in taking this traffic case.  I did find an attorney about 80 miles away but the receptionist said that he wants $1,000 retainer just to join the case.  I can see the travel time back and forth to the court, etc. adding up real fast.

While Utah has traffic school in some counties, that county does not.  We could care less about the fine amount (although Terrie's is set at one price and mine is more because he wrote me or 16 mph over).......it's the points on our driving record......our insurance rates that I'm concerned about.  Not sure how two of us getting a point at the same time on the same policy will affect us.  I'd rather not find out.

I was the one speeding and right now I have safe driver discount.....I'll take the ticket but I'd really like to get rid of Terrie's ticket.  Just not sure what to do at this point. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2012, 12:11:22 AM »

JC... I think you can beat the ticket by merely denying anything you were the rider. Since he never pulled you over, how can he prove you were the operator of the motor vehicle?? UNLES you already made statements that it was you...  He knows the odds are you will 'give in' since you are out of state so he gambled with some unprofessional tactics... Yea,, i think it is worth an attorney, only to save your insurance records..     

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2012, 12:15:15 AM »

Jc ill forward this to leanna. Shes pretty sharp on this kind of thing. Utah cops are worse than the oregon cops

Cyclegirl

• Loven Life on the Road
  • Full CVO Member
    • NM

• CVO1: 2015 Road Glide Special
    • Cycle adventures
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2012, 09:38:04 AM »

They sure can and in Ohio they have motorcycles pulled over all the time, of course they have cars pulled over all the time too - they still have 65 MPH speed limit and people from surrounding state hit the speed traps.
- Renay

Cyclegirl

• Loven Life on the Road
  • Full CVO Member
    • NM

• CVO1: 2015 Road Glide Special
    • Cycle adventures
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2012, 09:39:05 AM »

What is the best way or place to mount a radar detector? Can anyone recommend one? Do they make water proof ones?
- Renay

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2012, 09:43:23 AM »

What is the best way or place to mount a radar detector? Can anyone recommend one? Do they make water proof ones?

http://www.radardetector.org/detector_category/motorcycle-radar-detectors/   

West Coast GTG   

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2012, 02:57:16 PM »

Please take the advice from an old experienced Deputy. Don't fight it, it is not cost effective for you too do so. See if they have a infraction defferal program. What this is you pay the fine, if you do not receive a ticket in a years time they dismiss the ticket and your insurance company will not no of it. On traffic citations the burden of proof falls on the violator not the Officer. In other words you are going up againest a stacked deck. Get on the deferral program, there are no classes, it's not a class to go too. The state is just giving you a second chance. Win lose or draw in the court battle you still going to pay this attorney and they are not cheap. Not to mention you will probably have to take off work and then the expense of traveling back to the city of origin. The cheapest way out is the Defferal Program then after a year it's gone and your insurance rates are still the same. Good Luck and Sorry about the whole incident.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2012, 07:56:52 AM »

Please take the advice from an old experienced Deputy. Don't fight it, it is not cost effective for you too do so. See if they have a infraction defferal program.

I don't think the defferal program is an option in calif or Nevada...    :nixweiss:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 21 queries.