Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Can radar pick up a motorcycle?  (Read 7650 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Can radar pick up a motorcycle?
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2012, 11:36:05 AM »

;) According to the ME State Trooper, I was doing 135 with my significant on the back, so I guess so.

DR

That Maine state trooper was high Dennis.  Our bikes with their little 95" motors, stock gearing and a BSR wouldn't go that fast.  Maybe downhill ballistic.  But not on the road.

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2012, 01:41:48 PM »

A little late to the party... but a very good K-9 Officer of mine showed me just what can happen with the readings the on-dash radar units used in a lot of the cars.

It was a chilly November in Oklahoma and he and I were chatting while he was on his Lunch break... I was standing outside the car and noticed on the dash, his radar unit kept picking up speeds upwards to 40mph... he was parked in front of my house, a heavily populated residential setting on a Military base.  Because the car was facing a curve in the neighborhood, I asked him how he could be picking up radar hits when there wasn't any traffic and he was pointed directly at the house in the bend of the curve... oh, did I tell you it was midnight?

Anyway, he leaned over and turned up the Fan on the defrost... the radar unit then started getting 70 and 80mph hits, with the defrost on medium... and a little over 100mph with the fan on high.

Not saying that anyone out there is doing this... but with all electronic devices, there are always some bugs in them that simply can't get worked out, and for the most part don't need to be.   8)
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2012, 01:49:02 PM »

Yep... you're right!

The heater (blower) fan in a vehicle can throw off the readings on an in-car unit, this is supposed to be addressed in training, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was someone out there who wasn't made aware of the fault.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2012, 08:47:55 PM »

After today, I am able to answer the OP's question with a resounding "YES!" :o  First one, ever, on a bike.  I'm sure I was due. :lolk:

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2012, 08:03:27 AM »

After today, I am able to answer the OP's question with a resounding "YES!" :o  First one, ever, on a bike.  I'm sure I was due. :lolk:

Must of been somthing good,,  what did you get wrote up for.  :nixweiss:

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2012, 08:35:01 AM »

Wasn't too horrible.  80 in a 65.  I've gotten by with far worse a time or two. ::)  I was back underway in less than 10 minutes to meet up with the RibFest crew.  So, overall for the 250-mile trip to meet them, I still made up time vs. running the speed limit the whole way. :huepfenlol2:  Wallet being $120 lighter does add a bit of suck factor, however!

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2012, 12:19:51 PM »

I am coming in late on this but wanted to participate anyway. I do not know what the difference is between the sets the LEO's have in their cars and whatever is mounted into the roadsign stations you encounter but I know that unless I am in a direct line and no more than 10ft to the side of the roadside type they do not pick me up. We have one in my town at the bottom of a hill with three-four lanes. If I am in either the 2 or the 1 lane it doesn't pick me up. It does if I am right next to it in the 4 lane or the 3 lane. Perhaps there is like a cheap lowball set up they use for these since they are traffic control devices vice ticket verifiers

B B

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2012, 11:50:21 AM »

I'm a retired Deputy in Southern Indiana and I personally ran radar for most of my career. Most of what Murphy says is correct, But any radar or lazer radar is only as good as the operator. If they have not had proper training you can get what we called ghost readings. Yes you can pick up the blower motor in the cars heating and air conditioning but the fan only runs up to 40 mph. If your in an area where you feel like there might be radar stay close to a semi, they cannot get a reading on you with the doppler type radars. And for all you guys buying radar detectors, the only thing they will tell you is if they are clocking a vehicle in your area. All the radars have instant on, so a quick as you can flick a light switch off and on thats how fast they can get a reading on you. Your best defense if you get caught and it's a steep fine is to either ask for the infraction defferal program or hire an attorney. Find out if the operator has had proper training and if he calibrated the unit before and after his shift. If they are running the Vascar type of radar, which it's not really a radar it's more of a stop watch that measures time and distance there is nothing that can beat it not unless you have some one run down and poke his eyes out before you get there.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2012, 11:04:23 AM »

When I was a kid there was a strongman named Hercules Macelroy who let cars drive across his body. He claimed that eating two dozen eggs for breakfast made him storng. I don't think he could "pick up a motorcycle" though, and I'm not sure about this Radar guy..

I betz ya   Hercules Macelroy is one hell of a radar target   :P

Kickst@nd

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE
    • CVO2: On list for 2013 CVO Road or Street Glide
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2012, 05:40:50 PM »

In addition to the operator, the shape of the fairing or cross sectional area makes a difference.  The flatter the surface the farther away the guns are effective.  Stealth aircraft avoid radar with sharp angles that deflect the signal.  The material used makes a difference as well.  A stealth Harley.  Sounds like a future project.  LOL  Just my two cents worth.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2012, 09:59:18 PM »

In addition to the operator, the shape of the fairing or cross sectional area makes a difference.  The flatter the surface the farther away the guns are effective.  Stealth aircraft avoid radar with sharp angles that deflect the signal.  The material used makes a difference as well.  A stealth Harley.  Sounds like a future project.  LOL  Just my two cents worth.
I thought the black denim RGs were on that track already  ;D
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2012, 07:45:27 AM »

I thought the black denim RGs were on that track already  ;D

Kind of makes you wonder if they DO have some stealth capability  :nixweiss:

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2012, 04:33:25 AM »

Another thing we use to do at night, you could listen to the sound of the tires on the pavement without turning the radar on until you get right on us. You will be surprised on how your tires sing at night. You know, unless your on an interstate with open road for the next 25 or 50 miles, speeding is not really going to get you there any quicker. Oh you might catch the light before it turns, but eventually you will get caught by one and then you can look around you and see all the vehicles that you passed setting at the same light.

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2012, 04:38:01 AM »

And remember this, it's not the ticket thats expensive. It's what the insurance company is going to do to your rates when they do there checks on your records. My daughter recieved a speeding ticket at college, premium went from 600 a year too 2,100 a year and there is nothing you can do about it. None of the other insurance companys would even discuss it. Just my 2 cents worth

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2012, 07:45:32 AM »

got nailed down here in florida for 69 in a 50 by a cop car going the other way.$259.00,sucks!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 21 queries.